Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

talktapes posted:

New Hampshire and I hike in the Whites mostly.

racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I roam the florida swampland

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

Please post more info on this as I would like to roam Florida swamplands too and want cool spots to go to.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Im from Iowa, but live in Boulder. So most of my time is spent along the Front Range and occasionally in central/Western Colorado

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Southern Ohio, mostly hike around the area, a lot of trips to Red River Gorge in Kentucky. I do at least one weeklong AT section hike every summer. I Plan on doing the whole thing after I finish school.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Atlanta, Georgia has more little parks and wooded areas than one might expect.

I've recently started driving offroad RC vehicles while wandering the woods with a friend. I don't even have children.

Unbelievably fun.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Atlanta, Georgia has more little parks and wooded areas than one might expect.

I've recently started driving offroad RC vehicles while wandering the woods with a friend. I don't even have children.

Unbelievably fun.

That looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA-gvhz4CZE

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Norway, it's pretty nice for hiking.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Southern Vancouver Island. There's so many hikes around me and I've done none of them. Just little hills and trails around Victoria & Sooke.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Southern Vancouver Island. There's so many hikes around me and I've done none of them. Just little hills and trails around Victoria & Sooke.

Do you ever take ferries to the smaller islands? Is that even a thing there?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

glowing-fish posted:

Do you ever take ferries to the smaller islands? Is that even a thing there?

Yes, there's quite a few ferry options for getting to the smaller islands, and they all have a distinct, hippy-ish kinda vibe to them.
Pender Island has a 27 hole frisbee golf course and a B&B in a train caboose!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2016

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Oslo.

I'm a city kid and am only just starting to get my feet wet with doing things in nature, way overdue. Well, that is besides swimming in the sea/lakes and all the various bodies of water we have around here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

SF Bay Area. I hang out(doors) at Point Reyes and El Dorado National Forest. I've got some nice pdf maps for anyone looking for day hikes in the peninsula's parks/open spaces.

Me plz

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SF Bay Area. I hang out(doors) at Point Reyes and El Dorado National Forest. I've got some nice pdf maps for anyone looking for day hikes in the peninsula's parks/open spaces.

Me also. I lived in Fairfield for a few years but still never bothered going to Point Reyes.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

NC

I mostly hike the local trails in the Triangle but I make it out to the mountains once or twice a year. I really want to get out more than that though. The local scenery could be better, imo.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Nyborg in Denmark, spend most my time in a kayak somewhere on the sea around Denmark.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I wouldn't mind looking at them, I'm vacationing in california soon and staying in the bay area for a few days and I wouldn't mind checking out trails in the area

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Grew up in St Louis, but I've been in Rolla, MO for a while now. Camped a bunch growing up in MO, but did most of my backpacking in Northern New Mexico and a bit in the Front Range.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK. But I'm living in Luton, Bedfordshire, which is all flat chalk and clay, better for road cycling than walking, and I don't get up north that often
The next place I move to will hopefully have sea or hills, ideally both (Wales??)

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Syracuse, NY. Born and raised here, never really left the place, I feel like Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philly. Just starting to explore the nature and trails of CNY, I'm usually too busy so I go for the light and easy stuff. Mostly I go to Morgan Hill, Samon River Reservoir, and the Adirondacks. I would love to climb Mount Marcy, its like an 8-12 hour hike to the top I heard, I'm just too busy to do it. I love doing century or half century rides on my bike to nearby state forests, and I do some real shoddy photography for my own enjoyment.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Colorado Springs, and I hike mostly in the parks in the city and a few places in the Front Range by the city. I'm looking to expand this spring and summer.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Denver, CO

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Austin. I run town lake quite a bit and there are some great places all around the city and the hill country to hike and bike.

Turkman
Oct 25, 2015

Verge posted:

I'm from Oregon and like to try and get lost to see how long I can last survival camping (not very long, as it turns out). Oregon's great for it because while it's not impossible to get lost, it's pretty difficult to put yourself in real danger.

Do you ever hike around the Mt.Jefferson wilderness?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I live in Salt Lake City and spend as much time as I can in the southern part of the state.

Best hiking and doorsy area in the country. Especially this time of year. It's really great.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

No Such Thing posted:

I also do this thing, and while the wilderness of Florida can be a lot of fun, the lack of elevation changes makes me miss living in Georgia.

Georgia goons: take advantage of some of your state parks programs! I drove all over the state hiking parks that I may have never gone to otherwise to get my canyon climbers club shirt. It's one of my most treasured possessions now.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Not enough goons telling me where the good places are in Florida.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I am just east of Vancouver, BC. My past year has been spent running as my main hobby/workout, and while I plan to continue that I'd like to do more day hikes and overnight camping trips. It's just a matter of doing it and not worrying about all the bears.

We've had some nice day hikes in Lynn Canyon and Buntzen Lake, but really want a bit more than just 10K or whatever. I'm open to any weekend camping suggestions in the Vancouver area or other fairly nearby places in BC. We have been up to Tweedsmuir to raft and watch grizzlies on the Atnarko River, but that was more of a day trip rather than camping. We stayed at the lodge there. Another place we've enjoyed hiking is at Wells Grey. We also stayed at a lodge there. Time to plan some tent-camping!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Tacoma, WA

Wake up every day to this.

That fucker is on my bucket list this year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I see that every day. I would love to climb it at some point but have zero technical climbing skills/experience.

Some day.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I live in California in a city slightly west of Sacramento. Being able to drive into Desolation or Granite Chief wilderness for a day hike owns so hard. For lengthier 3-day weekends I cross Monitor Pass, get on 395, and venture up a portal into the eastern side of the Sierras.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Massachusetts, not bahstun though. My go-to is the New England trail and a local AMC reserve near my house. I occasionally make forays onto the AT and the Long Trail, always for day hikes. All are within an hours drive.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I live in a small coastal town south of San Francisco called Pacifica. There's a lot of hikes within the town's limits since most of the land is parks and San Mateo County is huge swaths of (mostly secondary) Redwood forests and other types of parks and open spaces. In Pacifica I love taking my dog to Mori Point, Sweeney Ridge, Milagra Ridge, and Mussel Rock Park. San Mateo County has San Bruno Mountain SP, Big Basin Redwoods SP, Portola Redwoods SP, Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space, and really the list just goes on and on. I've done dozens of trails and barely put a dent in the county's trail stock.

Then there's the iconic hiking in Norcal that everyone knows about like Point Reyes, the Redwood National & State Park system up in Del Norte/Humboldt counties (quite a drive but worth it), Pinnacles, Point Lobos, Yosemite, etc. Living here owns.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2016

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm live in Phoenix. Most of my outdoor time is spent in Colorado, the Grand Canyon, Northern Idaho and British Columbia.

The desert really doesn't do much for me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Ireland, its like hoarders except instead of bottles of urine, we keep ruined old walls and houses everywhere. Mostly hills, fields.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

BlueBlazer posted:

Tacoma, WA

Wake up every day to this.

That fucker is on my bucket list this year.

Its been the last item on a lot of people's bucket list.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We can see Mt. Baker on clear days from the balcony at the front of our house. Or if we go over to the Gilnetter Pub on the river up in Coquitlam. It is pretty :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I live in a pretty lame and uninteresting flat, soggy place between Sacramento and San Francisco but more interesting places are only an hour away or so. We've been very slowly exploring Point Reyes and its environs but have been branching out a bit since one of my kids is a Scout now. I went on the troop hike to the summit of Mount Tamalpais recently and that was pretty cool. Last summer the troop had a week at Camp Royaneh near Cazadero and I spent the whole week cairn-hunting. It was pretty cool.

I, too, would be interested in the East Bay PDFs.

• Locked thread