Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Euphonium is a real #2, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't bother with putting numbers in there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Euphonium is a real #2, that's for sure.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

shouldn't the reflection be reversed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm absolutely godawful with gimp

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked the joke I'm happy you made it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
5) Sound! Euphonium: KyoAni is loving back, and with one of the best-directed anime shows I've ever seen. Although the story is really good and definitely uniquely constructed compared to the typical anime, especially compared to KyoAni's typical stuff, it's really the presentation that sells the show. The direction and cinematography are beyond amazing, and the animation is great even by KyoAni standards. Also, it manages to have homosexual undertones without being exploitative or just plain bad. Good job Japan!

4) Non Non Biyori Repeat: How can a show be good at being boring? I don't get it, but Non Non Biyori seems to have solved that problem. The first season was good, but the second is just plain better. I think the best way to say it is that the first season feels... reluctant by comparison, as if the staff weren't sure if this kind of show would fly. Well it did, so they ran with it, and the second season is plenty better for it.

3) Shirobako: I doubt anyone realized what this show would become when it first aired. The only reason I watched it at first was because it was animated by PA Works and had that crazy hatchback race in the very first episode. But after that it just never let up. It was equal parts funny, dramatic, relaxing, thrilling and everything in between, and all of it amazingly animated by one of my favorite studios. Apart for a single exception (who only some people outright hated), all of the characters were lovable (or wonderfully hateable) and interesting in their own way. I really do hope this show changes the industry for the better in some way, because we all know it needs it.

2) DURARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARA (Durarara x2 and x2 Shou): Literally :psyboom: the show. I suppose it technically isn't finished yet, with the final cour of the season airing this winter, but it really deserves recognition for what it's already done. What did it do? It finally lived up to Baccano. The original season was good but not quite good enough, while these first two cour have been more than a match for Baccano for my money, although for different reasons. Baccano's brilliance is in its highly unique story construction, where it's telling three interrelated stories that take place within months of each other at the same time, and in a way where it all seems to come together in the end. But Durarara's claim to fame is just the strength of its presentation, because honestly this show is some of the most fun I've ever had watching anything while barely understanding what the almighty gently caress is even going on. But when you finally piece together the complex web of shenanigans, it only makes the whole experience better.

1) One Punch Man: This show is a purely joyful spectacle of hilarious gags and hyper-energetic action scenes that belies a surprisingly intelligent thematic exploration of what it means to be a hero. Sure, there's plenty more intelligent shows than a zany, over-the-top parody show, but not as many as you'd think if you didn't know where it was coming from. I think the best comparison would be Kyousogiga, another eye-popping spectacle with heartfelt story, and for my money one of the best shows ever made. One Punch Man delivers in every way possible.

Also because it spawned The best Fallout 4 video there will ever be.

Honorable Mentions
:

Gundam: Iron Blood Orphans: Honestly, I'm glad it won't finish this year so we get plenty more of it. Okada's narrative has been surprisingly mature and provocative well beyond the majority of anime (though somewhat controversial) and I really hope she pulls this off.

Blood Battle Blockade: This was the show of the year... for 6 episodes. Then it all went downhill. Brilliantly directed and animated, but they dropped the ball hard.

Nanatsu no Taizai: I'm putting this up here because I highly doubt many people gave it enough of a chance. I won't lie, it has a super rocky start, but once it takes off it really takes off.

e: Oh, hey, my av changed while I've been gone.

Huh.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
5)Concrete Revolutio: Not actually over so in theory it could rise higher or lower but 5th is probably a safe ranking. The show is colourful and interesting to look at but the characters aren't really that compelling to the point where for many of them I just don't care what happened to them between the time skips. It still has plenty of time to improve and maybe the second cour will place higher on 2016's list.

4)YuruYuri SP+s3: Yuru Yuri is fun and cute, some episodes dragged a little but on the whole it was an enjoyable show. The dialogue-less opening to one of the episodes was one of the highlights of the season.

3)Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!): I really enjoyed this as it was coming out although it's not something that stuck in my mind too long. The main characters were all endearing and the show did a great job of making you care about them. It handled the drama well and knew that the audience didn't want the central relationship to ever be truly strained, people just wanted Takeo and Yamato to be happy together and that's what the show delivered.

2)Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live): This was the surprise of the year for me, when the premise was first explained to me I imagined a larger group of anime girls slowly getting brutally killed off as the season progressed which wasn't something I had any interest in. Thankfully that's not what the show was about and I think it managed to balance the lighthearted moments with the more depressing elements that come with the setting/premise.

1)One-Punch Man: I come more from a superhero background than an anime one so something like this was always going to interest me. One-Punch Man was everything I wanted and more and is rightfully placing highly on many people's end of year lists.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!): It was cute and fluffy. Also had the best bro in all of anime nothing will change my mind on that.

One-Punch Man got me hype every week.

Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars) surprised me. I can even look past the boobs (so much jiggling) for it. Pretty cool and fun, good anime to eat Cheetos to.

After seeing it on so many lists I've started watching Shirobako but the first episode didn't really snag me, we'll see what happens I guess?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Suna is such a fine loving friend

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1. Owarimonogatari: All four arcs were interesting and enjoyable, Ougi was really rad throughout and the last episode was spectacular. Visually it was loving awesome throughout, but all of Ougi Formula and that last scene with Shinobu were standouts. Thank you spooky ougi.

2. Shimoneta: It was lewd, gross and funny. I was laughing my rear end at least once every episode. Fuwa is best girl.

3. Symphogear GX: Good songs, good fighting, good autoscorers.

4. Concrete Revolutio: The weird chronology thing is neat, and I'm super invested in the story so far.

5. Gakkou Gurashi: Didn't enjoy it quite as much as the others, but the evolving op was cool and it felt much more tense than the manga.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think my list is probably in this order? I like all these shows for different reasons!

5) Himouto! Umaruchan

4) One Punch Man

3) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders part 2

2) Hibike Sound Euphonium

1) Shirobako

Honorable mentions:
Yuru Yuri season 3
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Wakako-zake
Sore ga Seiyuu
Gatchaman CROWDS Insight

Things I started but need to finish but seemed rad:
My Love Story

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
1: Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
I loved the original idolmaster and CG was something I'd been waiting on for a long time. Handled the large cast surprisingly well and had some really great character development for characters who I wouldn't have expected it from. Also the Producer was way better than the first series.

2: Fate: Unlimited Blade Works
Good finish to the series and it delivered on everything I expected it to be. UFOtable is great at what they do, stupid long monologues and great to decent action sequences. Also traumatized shirou faces.

3: Jojo Walk like an Egyptian
Was more Jojo and I only watch the anime at this point, so the whole season I was blind aside from knowing things from internet culture/parody. Was wonderful to see it all play out.

4: Ore Monogatari
Pure absolutely bubbly romance joy with the best lead character ever.

5: Monster Musume
boobs humor and monster girls. rachnee best girl.

Honorable mentions:
Umaru for being a pretty great comedy that would have easily been my fifth if monster girls wasn't this year.
Rokka no Yuusha for not being the genre I expected it to be.
One Punch Man for being amazing but being too late in the year for me to want to stick in my 5, feels too fresh in my mind like it'd be cheating if I put it in.
Overlord for making me actually care about the trapped in a MMO genre again after Log Horizon S2 was such a disappointment for me.
Maria the Virgin Witch for being an absolutely great show trapped behind a misleading title.

Overlord K fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 22, 2015

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
5. Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]

I would have guessed this would be higher after the first season, but despite the great animation and setting I loved, it didn't resonate as well to me as the next four shows on my list. Still, I watched it avidly throughout, and am very pleased with Ufotable's work.

4. Durarara!! x2 (s2 p1-2?)

I love Durarara and the second season ramped things up a lot. I particularly liked the addition of Varona and Sloan to the cast. The arcs had their ups and downs; the strongest episodes tended to be the one-offs. I remember the one about Akabayashi to be particularly good. On the other hand, we still haven't gotten to the payoff, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

3. Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2)

Gatchaman Crowds is awesome! I love how stylish and clever everything is. This season was a lot more scathing and harsh than the last one, focusing on people's willingness to abandon personal responsibility and following the crowds just because it's easier for them. The resolution was really shocking. My one complaint is that I didn't feel Tsubasa stood up that well as a new character.

2. Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU s2)

This season was leaps and bounds above the first one, that's for sure. Everything became so much more complicated, and I was always on edge waiting to see if any of them could stop being such screw-ups. I liked how this season really dispelled the cast's self-delusions and got to the core of their personalities. I'm really hoping for one more season. Studio Feel did a pretty great job with the material, too, considering I had never heard of them before.

1. Owarimonogatari

Yeah, I love this series. This season didn't have the same highs as Second Season, but it was a lot more jam packed with meaning than almost any other arc. And that's not to say that it didn't have some great scenes; the climax at the end of Sodachi Lost was incredibly chilling and one of my favorites from the series. The increased focus on Ougi also made everything so much more sinister and nastier.

Turns out everything on my list is a sequel. Kind of disappointing, there were some great new shows too but they can't really fight against the wealth of content from these series.

Honorable mentions: Noragami Aragoto is great, I watched the first season this year as well and I really like its style. Sound! Euphonium was another excellent entry from KyoAni and I do want to see more. The third season of Working was the funniest yet, too bad the coming OVA will finish off the series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

1. Owarimonogatari: All four arcs were interesting and enjoyable, Ougi was really rad throughout and the last episode was spectacular. Visually it was loving awesome throughout, but all of Ougi Formula and that last scene with Shinobu were standouts. Thank you spooky ougi.

I can't decide between Ougi and Saitama for character of the year.

As good as Owari is, it felt somewhat lackluster after Second Second season so it didn't really wow me.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
in order from 5 to 1

Ore Monogatari made me cry tears of joy almost every episode and the only other thing to make me do that is the very end of Gunbuster. this one is good. so good

One Punch Man was good, like, if you want a show that is just undiluted fun all the way through then this is the show. Animators deserve some awards because hot drat was this amazing-looking.

Prison School I wasn't expecting much on this one but I thoroughly enjoyed it, maybe I'm a sucker for...whatever you might call 'meticulous clever planning suddenly going horribly wrong but succeeding by even more clever spur-of-the-moment actions'. Andre's bits usually made me roll my eyes a bit but I liked the dynamic of the rest of the cast.

Gakkou Gurashi ohhhhh drat I loved this one. Seriously how has this not been mentioned more this show was completely wonderful. Staff clearly had such a wonderful time with the little details that all added up to make the despair and delusion so excellent.

Fafner Exodus in its only vote it will get D: It was everything I ever wanted and more. The first half was maybe ever so sightly weak but the second half is amazing and I can see no way in hell they mess up the last episode so badly as to make it anything less than my show of the year.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I am way too busy to tally these results this year, someone else do it for me tia. I don't count ranks and I arbitrarily decide whether to include honorable mentions/too many votes, now this power is yours!!

Anyway I watched hardly anything this year but here are my votes:

Durarara!! x2 Shou/Ten - ensemble cast of cool, insane people doing cool, insane things. An actual headless horseman is the most reasonable character. Owns

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - really pretty but revealed weaknesses in the source material. Still got to hear an Emiya mix and there was that gif of Kotomine doing the walk-around-in-circles-expositing thing that was lol

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders: Egypt - it's Jojo

Shirobako - probably AOTY imo, lovable characters doing lovable things, emotions everywhere, all together wonderful

Working!!! - I am probably the biggest Working evangelist on this forum so this is here by obligation, Inami a cute

Honorable mention: Symphogear GX - music cash-in but it still owns, Nana Mizuki is great, Hibiki is best magical girl protagonist

I haven't watched OPM or Osomatsu, Euphonium is on hold for like months, so only other things I watched were godawful random things on Crunchy/Funimation that I left in the background while paying attention to other things (don't watch Shomin Sample).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man cutting down the year to 9 anime, let alone 5 was really hard.

1. Shirobako

2. Sound! Euphonium

3. My Love Story

4. Symphogear GX

5. One Punch Man

Honorable Mentions
Best Shirobako show that's not Shirobako
Sore Ga Seiyuu

Best shows that were all probably really good that I didn't watch cause I already read them
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc, Akatsuki no Yona, SNAFU s2

Best show that was cool, but didn't quite hit the mark
Death Parade

Best show that was really neat and cool that got overshadowed by lots of other things, and needs a better name
Maria the Virgin Witch

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also from 5 to 1

Shimoneta. It went interesting places with an originally silly idea. I liked the eventual conflict between 'look we want lewd poo poo because stupid teens need to learn what loving is or they become weird sex monsters' vs 'nah I just wanna jerk off to panties', I didn't expect that conflict to happen and it was fun when it did.

Shokugeki no Soma. I've seen a lot of shonen stuff but especially the whole 'we're gonna make something NOT NORMALLY ACTIONY and make it ACTIONY' things have really been a great trend. Boy does Food Wars take it up a notch. I love cooking, I love cooking shows and I've seen a good few cooking animes and poo poo before, but never have I seen a cooking anime where food has straight up magic climax inducing because you cooked with your heart. Beyond the silly anime cliches it tries to tell a real story about something like cooking meaning a lot to a group of talented chefs, and I dug that a lot.

Himouto! Umaruchan. It's cute, it's sweet, Sylphy is the best, what's not to like? Probably my number 1 light hearted anime of the year and easily high up there on the list in general.

Ore Monogatari. Romance anime that genuinely focuses on the characters just being happy. There's no big elaborate drama, the problems that come up are resolved in like 2 episodes tops. We just want to see two adorable dorks be adorable and happy together and we get that. It genuinely breathed some fresh life into romance anime and deserves all the praise it gets.

One Punch Man. It's big, it's stupid, it's action that celebrates the excess of action anime. It's everything I wanted and more. The animation staff lovingly creates every fight to just revel in the raw 'YOU FUCKS WANNA SEE A MONSTER BLOW UP? OK HERE YA GO' joy we used to have as kids watching this stuff. Most importantly, and why it's #1, is that it actually tries to tell a good story between those moments. That's what makes it better than a lot of parody animes I think, the story between 'ha get it, because his power is punching things to death easily' type poo poo we have an actually solid story between the characters. You wanna watch things get punched, but you also root for the characters because you like them, and that's aces.

A few Honorable Mentions in no real order:

Gundam: Iron Blood Orphans. It tells a story that really needed to be told in the Gundam universe, taking it from the perspective of these hosed up child soldiers getting screwed over by their superiors was a great idea and the general conflict not being 'we gotta save space' and instead focusing on 'we gotta survive the day' was a very needed change of focus. Only reason it's not on the list proper is because the fuckin show isn't finished yet and won't be done for the year. Great show, love it, want more Gundam stories like this.

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls. I liked it, it's dumb but most anime is dumb, and at least they genuinely went balls to the walls with production and all for this to make it a spectacle. It was cute and fun and did a good job making characters I actually had fun watching.

Yuru Yuri Season 3. I love it, like the other two seasons, but there was so much good poo poo this year I didn't feel fair giving another season of a show that I already knew I loved a slot in the 'real' list. It's more funny anime lesbians, it does it well, but the other stuff on the list were animes that I didn't already know were good.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Same for above, it's fuckin great, it's Jojo, but I just didn't have room on the list. Besides it's Jojo, do you REALLY need another nerd on the internet to say Jojo is fuckin good?

Symphogear GX. On here because I haven't watched beyond a couple episodes, but I like what I see, and everything I hear about it says I'll like the rest. I liked the past seasons, I'll like this one, you should check it out if you want fun dumb explosions and singing combined.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku. Purely not on the list because I straight up haven't gotten around to finishing s2 yet. It got caught in my pit of 'I'll finish that later' and has yet to crawl out, it's great though, I know it's gonna be great still, just didn't finish it.

Disappointment:

Gangsta: REALLY wanted to like this show, loved the first few episodes, nosedived right after, boo, biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Outer Science posted:

I am way too busy to tally these results this year, someone else do it for me tia. I don't count ranks and I arbitrarily decide whether to include honorable mentions/too many votes, now this power is yours!!

I can do the counting. And by the way, who did all these fancy diagrams last year?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ranks shouldn't be counted anyway, except as an arbitrary tiebreaker along the lines of "who was first the most, Shirobako or OPM?" if those two actually tie for first place.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Shokugeki no Soma. I've seen a lot of shonen stuff but especially the whole 'we're gonna make something NOT NORMALLY ACTIONY and make it ACTIONY' things have really been a great trend. Boy does Food Wars take it up a notch. I love cooking, I love cooking shows and I've seen a good few cooking animes and poo poo before, but never have I seen a cooking anime where food has straight up magic climax inducing because you cooked with your heart. Beyond the silly anime cliches it tries to tell a real story about something like cooking meaning a lot to a group of talented chefs, and I dug that a lot.

If you like ridiculous anime action cooking with magic climax inducing food, you'd probably love Yakitate!! Japan, too. I hadn't gotten around to watching Soma yet but this made me watch the first episode and it is just perfect. Yakitate didn't get this ridiculous until at least a couple episodes in :allears:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 22, 2015

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i didn't watch much anime this year but

Hibike! Euphonium
just really good all around. great animation, great characters. really enjoyed this

One-Punch Man
one of the stupidest and simultaneously greatest

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
it's more idol anime. still really fun, but not gay enough

Shirobako
really funny and also really touching. worth checking out

YuruYuri San Hai!
my fav. a little slower-paced than previous seasons but with more character development and sweet moments on top of the comedy. loved it

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I think I ended up only watching 4 anime to completion this year, but I can't really recommend Rokka, so I'll stick with 3.

Shirobako
I was expecting this to be kind of dry, but instead I found it to be an interesting series told with a lot of heart.

One Punch Man
I was already familiar with Murata's adaptation of ONE's manga and kind of new what to expect, but this adaptation exceeded those expectations. Fantastic animation, voice acting and direction. Definitely worth a watch.

Wakako-zake
While the episodes were short, I still really enjoyed spending ~3mins every week to chill and hear Wakako's opinions on Japanese food and drinking.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Could use more Rui, but still enjoyed it as being relatively non-standard fare. And I appreciate non-standard fare.

Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2
The sound effects in battles really helped sell it.

Death Parade
When is the sequel!

Parasyte
The alien really is alien and not just a different looking human, but also isn't a xenophobic sociopath.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders: Egypt
Some great fight gimmicks, like the baseball game.

Some other solid stuff, but if I were to be asked what I would recommend watching out of this year by a random person I know nothing about, something like this would probably be what I give them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Kylra posted:

Could use more Rui

Perhaps the same could be said for all anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Senerio posted:

Perhaps the same could be said for all anime.

Whatever you say, Dracula. You just want a sequal to Sovereign of the Damned, don't you?

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Set in dark fantasy Spain(sort of) this anime is about the fall and rise of a hero. It's a pretty standard tale but it's executed very well. There's some cool and varried creature designs to see here. The climaxes are wonderfully animated 2d spectacles, however, it's worth mentioning that most of the fights are CGI, good CGI, but CGI nonetheless. The soundtrack by studio MONACA(worked on Nier) is fantastic.
Also, best JAM Project song 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74YVOShNYo

One Punch Man
Really, really fantastic. A visual showcase all throughout. Lots of great animation techniques on display. The highly fluid background animation scenes stand out the most to me. Also appreciated the minor animations on characters, especially the villains and Saitama, the way they breathed, moved and talked had a nice sense of personality.

Prison School
Fast paced adaption of Akira Hiramoto's hilariously intense smutty thriller. Anime hits all the right notes.

Ninja Slayer
There are actually a lot of fun cuts of animation in this show, it can be surprisingly stylish at times. That said it's definitely not for everyone and some of the jokes are overused or drag on far too long. I think one scene is just a still shot without dialogue for a good minute. Overall I unironically enjoyed this show, but can understand why a lot of people hate it. Soundtrack is pretty dope too.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2
Even better than last year. Show is still cute and still funny, but the art seemed a tad improved this time around.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
#1 One Punch Man
After hearing people praise the manga for years getting to see this in motion was really something. One of the few animes that made me laugh and the action/animation was top notch.

#2 Shirobako
Great characters and cool glimpse inside the messed up world of anime production.

#3 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders: Egypt
Stands are cool.

#4 Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!)
poo poo's cute

#5 Noragami Aragoto
Really love the style and music in Noragmi and this was just as good as S1.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Allarion posted:

Man cutting down the year to 9 anime, let alone 5 was really hard.

1. Shirobako

2. Sound! Euphonium

3. My Love Story

4. Symphogear GX

5. One Punch Man

Honorable Mentions
Best Shirobako show that's not Shirobako
Sore Ga Seiyuu

Best shows that were all probably really good that I didn't watch cause I already read them
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc, Akatsuki no Yona, SNAFU s2

Best show that was cool, but didn't quite hit the mark
Death Parade

Best show that was really neat and cool that got overshadowed by lots of other things, and needs a better name
Maria the Virgin Witch

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh boy, ranking time. :toot:

5.Honorable mention: Prison School.
Love the manga, love the show. A really great prison break story with an entertainingly stupid premise, utterly unashamed of what it's trying to be. Also, I'm a sucker for comedy due to ASTOUNDINGLY stupid characters. :haw:
...unfortunately, this one's getting demoted because I just finished Shirabako, it's awesome and I can only vote for 5 series. Sorry, Prison School.

5. Owarimonogatari.
For me, the -monogatari shows pretty much succeed when they don't focus on garbage tier characters (of which there are too many, yeah). This season mostly did that, so good job! Ougi is fantastically creepy + manipulative, Kanbaru pretty much saves the second half of this season. Certainly doesn't come close to the unbeatable combination of Senjougahara + Kaiki, but I'll take it! I'm always amazed how great this show can be with nothing but talking.

4. Concrete Revolutio.
Didn't see this one coming. It's weird as hell, VERY political, almost Watchmen-like in its commentary, and pretty dang complex. The action isn't that great, but it has its moments. The true verdict comes when this show starts to resolve its conflicts - a lot could go wrong then. But for now, it's interesting, unusual, and strangely appealing!

3. JoJo Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc.
I'll be honest, I didn't like the first half of this show. Phantom Blood was okay and intriguing enough for me to continue; Battle Tendency was phenomenal; Stardust Crusaders was... hm. I didn't like the monster-of-the-week approach, and the action seemed to consist of nothing but stills with lip flaps added. If it weren't for the trademark JoJo weirdness, I would've dropped it pretty fast. It felt MUCH rougher around the edges than Battle Tendency.
Well, the second half was loving phenomenal, so all is forgiven! The villains are MUCH more interesting, on par with the great antagonists from earlier seasons, which also makes all the mid-battle talking that much greater. Hell, it pretty much becomes the point. Coupled with some pretty great action scenes (doubtlessly due to the iconic scenes they're in), it's great, tense, badass and totally weird. There's a couple animation issues later down the road, but eh. I'm basically a dinosaur, I only see motion anway. :v:

2. Shirobako (shamelessly added in a later edit)
Holy poo poo it's good
I hadn't even seen this yet when making this post. Went through all of it in two days. It's educational, it's heartwarming, it's absurdly inspiring, and it's got this overpowering optimism that you just can't shake off. And honestly - THE FEELS WERE TOO STRONG. Episode 12 with the old animator's return seriously got me. Also, the finale with the insane Western showdown at the publisher's office and, of course, voice actress finally making her first step - "I'm one step closer to my dream now..." :qq: Yes you are, yes you really are...
This would easily be #1, but no-one's stronger than

1. One Punch Man.
The moment this was announced, I knew there was no chance it wouldn't take first place in my personal list. It's funny and full of incredible action. One of the few anime shows I would recommend to non-anime viewers without hesitation.
And even though you'd think its main premise, a hero who's gotten so strong he always wins in one punch, would tire out very fast - it never does! And there's a great parody underneath: countless stereotypes get thrown against the unbeatable hero, only to get mercilessly exposed as the arrogant fuckups & idiots they are, because bullying through power just doesn't work with this guy. In the end, it's about what a hero really is. It's a loving parody of superhero action shows, and like all great parodies, an incredible superhero action show as well. And since I'm a sucker for good-looking action, this easily takes #1.
Plus, the opening theme is insanely stupid rock and it's great. I never skipped it.

...unfortunately, these are also the only five shows from 2015 I watched, so I couldn't even include any others if I had to :v: Guess I'll check out Shirobako, seeing how many put it in their top 5! Maybe Euphonium too? Dunno, I REALLY liked K-On, and Euphonium didn't seem nearly as whacky going by the first episode... Meh.

Torquemadras fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 25, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Uh

One punch man, kinmoza season 2, teekyu, shimoneta, RWBY

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

1. RWBY. This show is anime personified. It is anime distiled. It's also probably the only thing namtab and I can both enjoy(?) watching.

2. Askterisk or maybe Chivalry. I forget which one I was actually watching most of the time, but whichever it was, it was really fun to make fun of.

3. Rokka. I got trolled so hard on this one. LN readers knew it was going to go to poo poo and strung us all along. Props to them, good effort.

4. SNAFU s2. Ugh this one was a good anime so I don't have much to say. The name really threw me off.

5. Namtab's least favorite anime. I've never actually asked about this one namtab please fill us in?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna change my vote to reflect the power of

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
But for best or worst namtab? I know it's hard to differentiate sometimes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

But for best or worst namtab? I know it's hard to differentiate sometimes.

read my votes

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
1. Cross Ange Show didn't try to fanservice to weebs who wanted 'cute moe girls doing cute things', Actual character development in quite a few of the main characters later on to make like enjoy them a lot The main villian was a loving physco but if you did what he did I guess you would go insane as well. It was in a lot of ways a gently caress you to current anime.
2. Symphogear GX All I can say is, if you've seen Symphogear anything I say about it will ruin the fun for you. Symphogear just outdoes itself every season
3. Grisaia Anime only person here but this show caught me off gaurd while lurking some /a/ threads because I again thought this would be a poo poo train wreck/railwars with generic type BS. Honestly while it was stupid for VN players I enjoyed looking forward to it and had a lot of fun watching how each development of S1 paid off
4. Overlord Expected some slightly less BS 'is it wrong to pick up up girls in a dungeon' or SAO ripoff; but found myself enjoying it quite a lot, had a unique perspective and given the spots of the manga I read of it hit pretty close to what it was set out to achieve given the 1 cour length.
5. GATE Mondern military blowing the poo poo out of roman empire.

Honorable mentions
1. Jitsu watashi wa - Honestly this should be #4 but it ended way to quick and started off with too much filler, incredibly funny, loved the show, actually enjoyed the relationships that the dialogue and plot progressed on. Had this had a bit more fleshed out ending and caught up with the manga a bit more I would have easily put this as 3 or 4
2. Gangsta - YOU JUST hosed IT ALL UP AFTER LIKE EP 7!?!??! WHY
3. Charlotte - Way too predictable episode 10 the MC goes "I could fix everything that went bad, nah gently caress it I need to be lelouch v2 because REASONS!!!!"
4. DanMachi - Good fun but way to much fanservice

No gintama?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 23, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

1. Cross Ange Show didn't try to fanservice to weebs who wanted 'cute moe girls doing cute things', Actual character development in quite a few of the main characters later on to make like enjoy them a lot The main villian was a loving physco but if you did what he did I guess you would go insane as well. It was in a lot of ways a gently caress you to current anime.

4. DanMachi - Good fun but way to much fanservice

I love you dilbert, never change

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Dil you are insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dilbert it's as if Nurgle banged Slaanesh one night to create a chaos-spawn of immensely twisted tastes.

• Locked thread