Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Dilbert it's as if Nurgle banged Slaanesh one night to create a chaos-spawn of immensely twisted tastes.

Idgi, and I don't want it explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Namtab posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's a Garfield reference. Sorry I explained it to you.

In no particular order:

Gakkou Gurashi: A great adaptation of a great manga. It managed to make the big reveal mean something and invoke emotion out of me even though I knew it was coming.

Maria the Virgin Witch: Good characters and good story in a setting they clearly put a lot of time and attention into.

GATE: I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the one-sided battles and pro-military imagery nearly as much if it hadn't been an anime and didn't involve a goth girl slaughtering people, but there you go.

Monster Musume: This show taught me how to love again, and I'm proud to announce that I'm going to marry a hyacinth macaw. Everyone is invited to the wedding, except for the racists. They know who they are.

Miss Monochrome: Consistently entertaining and humorous for three seasons.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Yuru Yuri S3, Dog Days S3, Idolm@ster Cindrella Girls, Show by Rock!!, Rolling Girls, Wakakozake.

Fake edit:

Oh, I didn't realize we could put RWBY on our lists! In that case, it's just going on my honorable mentions list because I still liked my top 5 more.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Command Ant posted:

Oh, I didn't realize we could put RWBY on our lists! In that case, it's just going on my honorable mentions list because I still liked my top 5 more.

It is technically an anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

It was from Warhammer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

It was from Warhammer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cutest girl with huge eyebrows. :3:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The best part of Chaika is any given conversation between Red and White.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
RWBY is gross forever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought people hated RWBY, calling it fake anime, western poo poo, etc. etc.

Now it's suddenly popular.

Did they make a new RWBY thread or did people suddenly decide they like it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no its garbage but these people are retarded

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's because the creator passed away and a lot of people felt bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

It's because the creator passed away and a lot of people felt bad.
season 3 is better.

it's still not great but stuff is happening

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

No this is all still true.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's getting released in Japan so now it is truly anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's getting released in Japan so now it is truly anime.

Korean dramas are being aired in Japan too but that doesn't make them anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If I got aired in Japan... would that make me anime...?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

If I got aired in Japan... would that make me anime...?

*while dying and coughing up blood*

It's okay Colonel... you... you're already... an anime...

*dies*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

*while dying and coughing up blood*

It's okay Colonel... you... you're already... an anime...

*dies*

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"Kaz, I'm already an anime..."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

pandaK posted:

"Kaz, I'm already an anime..."

(thank you tumblrs)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

no its garbage but these people are retarded

This.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
One Punch Man - the objectively good anime
Food Wars - over the top representations of food that only anime can deliver
Overlord - because evil skeleton wizards are rad as hell
GATE - because I can't get enough of that cute Japanese jingoism while watching dudes blow the poo poo out of dragons and elves with apaches and RPG's
Iron Blooded Orphans - a mature Gundam show with a grim and brutal tone? sign me the gently caress up

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans - a mature Gundam show with a grim and brutal tone? sign me the gently caress up

Not eligible, because it first ends during next year.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've had a lot of fun synchtubing it with goons

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

#1 Shirobako - Good ensembles are hard but they pay off really well
#2 Wakako-zake - Short and swee- I mean crispy and succulent. Lots of good cooking shows this year.
#3 Jojo's - Will be higher in the list when the stands get better.
#4 Maria the Virgin Witch - Madre de Dios! The title is perfect in every way. Behead those who insult the Virgin Mary.
#5 Parasyte - Dickhands

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

In no particular order:

Shirobako - Filled the gap left by Servant X Service then left with a bigger gap for more workplace anime.

One Punch Man - ONE PAAAUUUUUUUUNCCCCCHHHH

Hibike! Euphonium - Kyoani stuff looks really good.

Death Parade - I wish they went deeper into the world surrounding the bar, but it was still great as a monster of the week. Also introduced me to BRADIO

Owarimonogatari - I'm a sucker for more *gatari.

Honorable Mentions:
Shokugeki no Soma
Gate
Durarara!!
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Namtab posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

#1. Shirobako- An all-around great and heartwarming SOL, even managed to make me tear up a few times. Only flaw for is that there isn't more of it to flesh out a few of the characters more.

#2. Gatchaman CROWDS insight- Honestly surpassed the first season for me. I think the ending could've been a bit better, but as a whole it exceeded my expectations.

#3.-#5.: I'll add these if I can actually finish some more shows before the year is out!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
#1 Concrete Revolutio
I'm glad IBO doesn't count or this'd be hard. ConRevo is what I wish all anime could be, I haven't been this excited for new episodes of anything in a long time. Aside from sometimes confusing time jumps, I literally can't think of any flaws.

#2 One Punch Man
There really isn't anything I can say that hasn't been said a hundred times by people more eloquent than me. Not as good as the above, but pretty loving good.

Those two(and Iron Blooded Orphans) have dominated this year so hard I can't even put JoJo in third. Maybe Part 4 will place next year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

#1 - Gundam Reconguista in G

While Tomino didn't accomplish everything he wanted to do with the show, it was still a refreshing, wild ride right up to the very end. It had a clear message delivered through very colorful, creative visuals (That I'd really love to see more of in the genre in this day and age). Definitely my fave mecha show in quite awhile, and it's a shame that the streaming situation was such a kerfuffle since in this day and age asking someone to download a show is (for good reasons) a bit more than what many folks want to do unless they're already interested in it.

#2 - Maria the Virgin Witch

It's cool when directors work on a project that's outside their usual MO. Goro Taniguchi normally works on sci-fi shows but after his extended absence from the director's chair he made an excellent adaption of a well-researched historical fantasy manga. It's a very good show that very few people watched and I hope it's one of those shows that gets more attention as time goes on.

#3 - Shirobako

If this show was just about the animation industry it would be a neat inside baseball curiosity, but thankfully they did a fine job at making you care about every single character. It's a tough industry, and the show makes you genuinely want nearly everyone to succeed.

#4 - Gatchaman Crowds Insight

I am completely, utterly sick and tired of superhero stuff, and season 2 of Crowds once again examines the concept in a way that is entirely my poo poo. Not every conflict can be resolved by punching a bad man really hard, after all.

#5 - Punchline

Another show lots of people skipped out on. It's the rare show that managed to build up lots of intricate (yet easy to understand) plot threads and didn't drop the ball on any of them. But more importantly the dynamics between the cast are a lot of fun and it has the best anime house of 2015.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Not going to write out why since there have already been four pages of why these shows are good and cool. In no particular order:
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
One-Punch Man
Owarimonogatari
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc
Shriobako

Honestly, I spent much of the year watching poo poo I missed from previous years like Hunter x Hunter and Devil is a Part-Timer. (And I"m going to have even less time to catch up on poo poo starting next month. :smith: )

Edit: Honorable mention to part 3 of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled since more Lelouche is never a bad thing. Can't wait for part 4 to come out on BD.

Edit2: Oh snap! Didn't even realize they were going for 2 in one year.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 25, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Part 4 did come out on bd, see the Geass thread

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
1. Shirobako - You can tell this was a passion project for everyone who worked on it. Really well made, an educational inside look at the industry, charming and funny and sad . . . just really drat good.

2. One Punch Man - I was scared that this wouldn't live up to the combined genius of ONE and Murata, but the adaptation hit it out of the park in every way. I can't wait for Murata to finish enough redraw for season 2's production to start because I need more of the King Engine in my life.

3. Non Non Biyori Repeat - This season made lots of saltwater come out of my eyes because a first-grader learned to ride a bicycle. It's a masterpiece of laid-back SOL with a big heart.

4. Hibike! Euphonium - KyoAni strikes gold again. High school concert band drama transcends all national borders, and watching these kids go through it brought back a flood of memories from fifteen years ago in my own life. Funny gags and some meaningful character development, plus the beginnings of a heartwarming yuri relationship, all lovingly animated by arguably the most talented studio in the business.

5. Ore Monogatari - Cute. Kyoooooooooot.

Honorable mentions that I enjoyed and would gladly watch more of if and when it exists: YuruYuri S3, Wakakozake, Rolling Girls, Junketsu no Maria, Shokugeki no Soma, Kiniro Mosaic S2, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, Arslan Senki. drat, what a good year for anime!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

5. One Punch Man : Fantastic animation, fun villains, great characters. I'd put it higher, but a lot of the middle episode drag for me and aside from its one reliable joke, I just never thought it was very funny. Still beautiful great shonen action.

4. Tie G-Reco and Gundam Origin: Oh Gundam :allears: I couldn't bring myself to choose, despite Origin not being done yet. G-Reco is a flawed but supremely fun and interesting experiment from the old master Tomino, and Origin just pops off the screen with wild action, political intrigue, amazing artwork and music and somehow managing to be just as completely crazy yet coherent as Gundam at its best. TEXAS VILLAGE

3. Prison School : It was a really good year for topnotch manga adaptations. This silly, sick sex grossout comedy was legit tense and thrilling from beginning to end, and I actually foumd myself rooting for our pitiful heroes as their situation went from bad to worse. Gakuto best girl.

2. Yuri Kuma Arashi : Was wondering if Ikuni would be able to still bring it home so soon after his last masterpiece Penguindrum, but thankfully, those concerns were unfounded. From the crazy humor to the painstaking composition and powerful story, this is top level Ikuhara. The surface level similarities to Utena put off at first, but I was on board well before the end, and by that point, I was in tears. What a weird, wonderful show.

1. JOJO : Do I really need to explain this one? Seeya next year when Part 4 wins too.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 25, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
1, Prison School: I don't read a ton of manga, but from what I've seen this is easily the best anime adaption I've ever seen. It's based off of already great material, but the anime moves at a brisk pace, is well animated, and in particular the sound design is spectacular. I read the manga, after watching the anime and some of the stuff they added(like the VPs piledriver) was brilliant. I'm very much looking forward to the next season.
2. My Love Story: My Love Story is interesting in that it's not an anime I could really binge through, but every time I watched an episode or two it made my day a little bit brighter. The relentless optimism shown in this show isn't something you see to often, but it is well executed and very welcome.
3.Parasyte: Kinda the opposite of Shokugeki no Soma in that it started much stronger than it finished, but for the most part it was so good. It felt like it could have used an extra 6 or so episodes to flesh out the later half a bit more, but it was still excellent.
4. Shokugeki no Soma: I didn't expect this to be this high when I started it, but it gained momentum as the season went on and the start of the tournament was particularly great.
5.Jojo: Always enjoyable but still held back by Jotaro not being particularly interesting relative to the other Jojos. Still a show I looked forward too every week.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1 - One Punch Man. Aside from the final episode and missing the Omake chapters (which was to be expected so I can't count it as a huge flaw), it was a perfect adaptation in every way. The final episode was merely really good to me instead of the perfect standard the rest held.
2 - JoJo - Egypt Arc. Excellent throughout but the budget didn't always hold out but they had 48 episodes to pay for so it's to be expected. I'd have put it above OPM if it didn't have wonky art and animation at times.
3 - Owarimonogatari. More of the same, but the same is good.

I don't remember what other animes I've watched from this year, if I even have.
I have watched Dragon Ball Super and while I don't hate it and wouldn't put it on a worst list, it's not a good anime and doesn't belong on this list.

Look forward to next years list featuring
1. Diamond is Unbreakable. 2. Mob Psycho 100. 3. whatever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

The final episode was merely really good to me instead of the perfect standard the rest held.

(it was only a light punch cause you said the rest was perfect!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

2. Yuri Kuma Arashi : Was wondering if Ikuni would be able to still bring it home so soon after his last masterpiece Penguindrum, but thankfully, those concerns were unfounded. From the crazy humor to the painstaking composition and powerful story, this is top level Ikuhara. The surface level similarities to Utena put off at first, but I was on board well before the end, and by that point, I was in tears. What a weird, wonderful show.

i heard about this earlier in the year but forgot to check it out, thanks for reminding me :)

• Locked thread