Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5: akatsuki no yona

good-rear end shoujo. sadly the anime cut-off just before the manga got really, really great. s2 will be number one whenever it happens.

4. idolmaster cg

a really strong drama, surprisingly. uzurin otp.

3. symphogear gx

it's more symph. a couple of the plot points were weird, but, it was more symph. carol's song is amazing.

2. shirobako

super good and made me appreciate anime a lot more. also the hcharacter development was really good.

1. hibike euphonium

the greatest anime kyoani has ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Idgi, and I don't want it explained

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

It's because the creator passed away and a lot of people felt bad.
season 3 is better.

it's still not great but stuff is happening

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by his dumb-rear end reaction to the part of shirobako where the protagonists are high schoolers for two minutes, he probably only watched two minutes of euphonium, and saw GIRLS so he turned it off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it didn't, for me, because my brain works and my parents loved me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*show shows teenage girls happy, for two minutes*

'ugh... this is the worst... i hate this so much...'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems like you actually do like highschool girl centric anime, then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admoon posted:

it was going fine until everyone jumped down that guys throat for daring to not like a popular anime
that isnt the problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admoon posted:

What exactly is the problem then? Seems like he doesn't want to watch shows about high school girls. Not enjoying the subject matter is like the most inoffensive reason

littleorv posted:

guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys

AIDS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Oh, so Nadesico's OP is about moe. :v:
it kind of is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

He just asked a question, chill.

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

district 12 posted:

This thread also made me watch Shirobako and I liked it until that new animator who can't speak came on and now I'm really annoyed by her presence and communication through gasps and squeaks. Does she learn to talk like an adult at some point
yes. also she's cute. also she's barely in the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I also did not watch the girls in a band anime because that's not a hook.
here's a hook: it's really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I'm not going to watch a romance with no payoff which is what y'all have made it sound like.
it has pay-off

in fact the final episode has one of the best pay-offs to a character arc ive ever seen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want a shirobako season 2, where they get contracted to be one of the 70 studios working on some ridiculously long-running shonen series

but yeah, I never got the impression that the shows they were making were 'mediocre.' in the exodus arc it even seems to have done pretty well and been decently received, even by hardcore fans/people who are really picky. It seems more like the show was just having them make pretty good anime, not world-changing stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I thought that sort of thing was already happening, it just wasn't the focus of the show. Like, that older animator had to have been working on something, right?
i figured he was working on commercials. something that one dude could feasibly animate by himself since it's like 15 seconds long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I will never understand the insane popularity of Devil is a Part-Timer that was expressed in this forum
zorak didn't allow anyone to like things that weren't happily bland

Namtab posted:

Inferno cop was heavily promoted by zorak and goons jumped on it as like the best comedy of all time. See: The Devil is a Part Timer for other examples of that.
inferno cop owned, however

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Inferno cop was pretty funny and I liked it. them doing basically the same thing with worse jokes in Ninja Slayer From was disappointing
yeah, but dragon had big boobs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninja slayer was a mix of inferno cop and trigger being a pretty incompetent studio

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Welcome to the best anime oif 2001 thread with such pre-moe contenders as....
mahoromatic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't call it my favorite show ever made, but I liked Sakurasou a lot. That said, it definitely looks and honestly even is a bit generic, so it's no surprise it slipped under a lot of people's radars, especially on ADTRW. '3 episode test' is pretty much 'look at the base premise and decide whether or not I want to watch it,' and while that works for high concept comedies and weird shonen and stuff, it means that stuff that just executes really well on a fairly basic idea slips through the cracks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

I liked it, and should probably watch it again some time.

But I seem to remember that, at the time, some were complaining that it did nothing but make fun of an autistic kid, and should be boycotted for that.
honestly even if they were literally meant to be autistic (which is, uh, questionable) the show would have done a pretty decent job with them, so :yikes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It looked boring and i never really heard anyone praise it, is it actually good?

i guess endorph already answered that so why is it good might be a better question
i answered that, too.

it isn't gonna revolutionize the world or anything but it's a well-executed romantic comedy, all the characters are pretty likable, even the male lead, and the drama that's there actually lands, which is pretty surprising for an anime romantic comedy. My one real complaint is that not all of the jokes are knee-slappers, especially early on. Most of them are the standard anime romcom jokes you've seen before. They aren't overdone to the point of being annoying, but they're kind of just there.

That said, it's a nice, easy to watch show, with basically nothing to actually complain about. The character designs are cute, also. It's pretty much the anime equivalent of a student who gets straight Bs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Is that a sequel? Or a remake? Last thing I saw of it was the OVA that came out like 5-7 years ago or something like that. I didn't even know they had a Fafner anime out this year until I saw the countdown lists, and I'm in kind of the same boat as you.
sequel. there's been a couple of sequel anime in the past couple of years.

the OVA was the last thing made until recently. It was a really random revival.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most surprising part of the whole thing is that the new fafner stuff's been really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Graphs of the changes in MAL scores of the Winter season's' shows.
https://imgur.com/a/8BxXh

I dunno if it means a whole lot, but it's kinda fun looking at the drastic jumps some of them take.
okay but i need to see eupho's graph now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shoutout to the other 4 im@s fans

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

snafu is really good, but the best girl definitely won't be the one he ends up with, and the crunchy subs are pretty bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

I feel bad for Yona. It was clearly hurt by excessive padding and at the end very little romance or plot movement despite a large amount of character development. Yona is IMO a stronger protagonist in a stronger setting with a better more well rounded love interest.
sa - same...????

but yona (the show and the character) gets much better in the manga, pretty much immediately where the anime left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fanservice is cool & good if it's just fanservice but kill la kill has this really weird complex about its fanservice where a lot of it just winds up feeling weird and skeevy

and yeah, 12:39 buttslap

• Locked thread