Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also from 5 to 1

Shimoneta. It went interesting places with an originally silly idea. I liked the eventual conflict between 'look we want lewd poo poo because stupid teens need to learn what loving is or they become weird sex monsters' vs 'nah I just wanna jerk off to panties', I didn't expect that conflict to happen and it was fun when it did.

Shokugeki no Soma. I've seen a lot of shonen stuff but especially the whole 'we're gonna make something NOT NORMALLY ACTIONY and make it ACTIONY' things have really been a great trend. Boy does Food Wars take it up a notch. I love cooking, I love cooking shows and I've seen a good few cooking animes and poo poo before, but never have I seen a cooking anime where food has straight up magic climax inducing because you cooked with your heart. Beyond the silly anime cliches it tries to tell a real story about something like cooking meaning a lot to a group of talented chefs, and I dug that a lot.

Himouto! Umaruchan. It's cute, it's sweet, Sylphy is the best, what's not to like? Probably my number 1 light hearted anime of the year and easily high up there on the list in general.

Ore Monogatari. Romance anime that genuinely focuses on the characters just being happy. There's no big elaborate drama, the problems that come up are resolved in like 2 episodes tops. We just want to see two adorable dorks be adorable and happy together and we get that. It genuinely breathed some fresh life into romance anime and deserves all the praise it gets.

One Punch Man. It's big, it's stupid, it's action that celebrates the excess of action anime. It's everything I wanted and more. The animation staff lovingly creates every fight to just revel in the raw 'YOU FUCKS WANNA SEE A MONSTER BLOW UP? OK HERE YA GO' joy we used to have as kids watching this stuff. Most importantly, and why it's #1, is that it actually tries to tell a good story between those moments. That's what makes it better than a lot of parody animes I think, the story between 'ha get it, because his power is punching things to death easily' type poo poo we have an actually solid story between the characters. You wanna watch things get punched, but you also root for the characters because you like them, and that's aces.

A few Honorable Mentions in no real order:

Gundam: Iron Blood Orphans. It tells a story that really needed to be told in the Gundam universe, taking it from the perspective of these hosed up child soldiers getting screwed over by their superiors was a great idea and the general conflict not being 'we gotta save space' and instead focusing on 'we gotta survive the day' was a very needed change of focus. Only reason it's not on the list proper is because the fuckin show isn't finished yet and won't be done for the year. Great show, love it, want more Gundam stories like this.

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls. I liked it, it's dumb but most anime is dumb, and at least they genuinely went balls to the walls with production and all for this to make it a spectacle. It was cute and fun and did a good job making characters I actually had fun watching.

Yuru Yuri Season 3. I love it, like the other two seasons, but there was so much good poo poo this year I didn't feel fair giving another season of a show that I already knew I loved a slot in the 'real' list. It's more funny anime lesbians, it does it well, but the other stuff on the list were animes that I didn't already know were good.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Same for above, it's fuckin great, it's Jojo, but I just didn't have room on the list. Besides it's Jojo, do you REALLY need another nerd on the internet to say Jojo is fuckin good?

Symphogear GX. On here because I haven't watched beyond a couple episodes, but I like what I see, and everything I hear about it says I'll like the rest. I liked the past seasons, I'll like this one, you should check it out if you want fun dumb explosions and singing combined.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku. Purely not on the list because I straight up haven't gotten around to finishing s2 yet. It got caught in my pit of 'I'll finish that later' and has yet to crawl out, it's great though, I know it's gonna be great still, just didn't finish it.

Disappointment:

Gangsta: REALLY wanted to like this show, loved the first few episodes, nosedived right after, boo, biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Probably Magic posted:

This thread made me decide I should really watch One Punch Man, and I did, and it was good.

This but for Shirobako

• Locked thread