Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Honorable mention: Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

I expected to put this in the top five, but I realized it annoys me too much for that. Watching this anime made me realize that the VN wasn't as good as I thought it was in the first place. At least some of the fights are still cool.

Honorable mention: Charlotte

Had some interesting characters and plotlines (including some genuinely emotionally intense episodes in the middle), but somehow feels like less than the sum of its parts. Perhaps it's because of the awkward dialogue, which can't entirely be attributed to bad translation (although the overly-literal translation was definitely part of the problem).

#5: Rokka no Yuusha: Extended mystery plots of this sort are rare in anime. I partly called the solution fairly early on, but that's better than an unpredictable asspull solution would have been. Also has some cool fights. There's certain elements of the ending (not the solution to the mystery itself) that bring it down a bit, but I wasn't as annoyed by them as some other people were.

#4: One Punch Man: Has genuine pathos as well as well-animated fights. I didn't find it quite as funny as I'd hoped to, though.

#3: Parasyte: Intense and wonderfully disturbing. Migi was a very memorable character. The line between thoughtful philosophizing and pretentious bullshit can be thin, and there were parts of the show on both sides of the divide. Gets marked down a bit for the love interest character's weirdly circular character arc.

#2: Snow White with the Red Hair: I wasn't expecting this to place so high. It has a likable main character, the central relationship works really well, and it maintains interesting conflicts instead of running out of steam the way The World is Still Beautiful did.

#1: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt: The only show on this list I've actually re-watched. All the fights aside from Alessi and Mariah are great. It actually improves on the manga in places, including adding foreshadowing for a major twist near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twiddy posted:

a show for girls at all isn't going to do well on a site that is a holdout for old school otaku ppl

See also, lack of Yona and Haikyuu.

Not to mention lack of Snow White.

• Locked thread