Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Funnily enough, I've only seen 4 shows from this list fully.

Honorable mentions:

Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) I don't usually care for KyoAni-esque shows, but the premise animation, and music all seem wonderful, Would probably be in the top 5 if I watched it.

Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2 p2) didn't bother watching this; mostly just watched clips and read the threads, etc. Already knew what was going to happen, though, so I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

#5. One-Punch Man
Just a rather unique superhero story; in this case, the MC is a Mary Stu, but that doesn't detract from a conscious theme of what it means to be a real HERO (Mumen Rider may be weak, but he has soul. Saitama can appreciate that). Animation is mostly good throughout, and delivers some of the manga scenes excellently.

#4. Prison School was pretty funny in just how dramatic and over-the-top everything was. Episode 3 was probably the funniest episode of an Anime I've seen in a long time...This show is overtly sexual, but I still enjoyed it up until the end.

#3. Death Parade
Watched due to the "Suggest an Anime" thread. Was an interesting premise for a short series, though I preferred the ambiguity of its predecessor "Death Billiards" more. It did a god job of making the viewer feel different emotions, both good and bad. My main gripe with the show is that, while it resolves the main character's conflict, the show seemed to be setting up a larger conflict for the whole crew to deal with, which never winds up resolving into anything

#2. Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
I'm probably going to get flack for this one, but I really did enjoy this show. The premise was actually fairly creative, and most of the jokes worked throughout. The back half was definitely weaker, though, with the newer characters being more one note (one which didn't even need to exist other than because he was apparently in the Light Novel). I do wish that this show focused more on being a satire than it actually is, especially because, for some deranged reason, I thought it was actually going to be a 2 cour show with a fully realized plot. Either way, got lots of laughs out of it and though it was a good piss-take on over-censorshp.

#1. Would probably be Gatchaman Crowds Insight, based on what I've heard and seen of the first season. Now, only if I can get around to finishing the first season:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
With all of you guys picking Shirobako, maybe I should give it a second look. The first episode didn't impress me, but how can a bunch of goons be wrong :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Some goons think Yui is the best girl so goons can be wrong.

To be honest, I have never watched, and never will watch, K-On. It's not that I hate it, but it definitely isn't for me. :shrug: *shockedface.gif*

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I need to check out SNAFU, too since I at least hear that it does some interesting things.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Senerio posted:

Perhaps the same could be said for all anime.

Whatever you say, Dracula. You just want a sequal to Sovereign of the Damned, don't you?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kickascii posted:

I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but I always make sure to check in to the best-of thread to see what I might have missed on for the year. Shirobako is not an anime I would normally give a second glance to, but since so many goons said they'd like it, I decided to give it a chance. My eyes started rolling into the back of my head as soon as the high school girl main characters were introduced and I *almost* shut it off, but I'm really glad that I didn't.

:same:

Julias fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2015

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

going by his dumb-rear end reaction to the part of shirobako where the protagonists are high schoolers for two minutes, he probably only watched two minutes of euphonium, and saw GIRLS so he turned it off

To be fair, the beginning part with do-do-donuts almost turned me off of Shirobako, too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i dunno, it seems kinda cynical to swear off high school/high school girls in anime. i mean the Shirobako intro wasn't great because it was like...amateur anime production, and i'm glad it transcended to something more dramatic/heartwarming and with higher stakes. the doughnut chant is awesome though, as are doughnuts.

:same:

I'm gonna milk this :smilie: for all :30bux: it was worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think it's fine deciding you don't like something enough to keep watching after a few episodes, but not liking K-On should be a crime, IMO.

I don't care for K-On.

I don't hate it, but there isn't anything I like about it either.

It's just sorta there.

• Locked thread