Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best shows of the year:
  1. SNAFU 2: Best little sister. Best milf. Best new insult. Best Hachiman. Best Iroha. Best Yui. Good-to-Great Yukino.
  2. JoJo Egypt Arc: I know Diamond is Unbreakable is coming up on April, but how the hell are they going to trump the presentation this goddamn show gave us?
  3. One Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunch! Endoh Masaaki is the best goddamn hype man this show could have had. The show itself was rad as gently caress, too.
  4. Shirobako: What started as a question to esteemed forums' treasure dot jay-pee-gee became probably my fave show I did not know much about.
  5. Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works I am the bone of my sword... Also, while many have strong opinions about Tsundere characters (and they're mostly right: They tend to suck more often that not), Rin remains one of the funnest Tsunderes from modern times.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Shimoneta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDe7HoOzoZA
  • Shokugeki no Soma: Best food anime. Can't wait for season 2.
  • Durarara x2 1 and 2 out of 3: poo poo's about to get even realer, but these two seasons were rad as gently caress.
  • Yona: Because cute girls can be :black101: as gently caress. Chiwa Saito's best role after Senjougahara.
  • Wakakozake: Best 2nd anime about food. Shinbo needs to stop leaving non-monogatari anime in the hands of his less-than-excellent whipping boys if he wants in on the food anime.
  • Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Good show. Sometimes even great. It did piss me off at times, though.
  • Red-Haired Snow White: A beautiful show. :3:
  • Umaru-chan: Had a roommate like that. It's funny when it happens to other people.
  • Non Non Biyori Repeat: Boring in the best way. :dance:
  • Noragami Aragoto: Hiroshi Kamiya is just destined to keep on playing (mostly) lovable douches with Daisuke Ono not far behind, isn't he?
  • Ore Monogatari!!: Takeo. :3:

Disappointments:
  • Psycho Pass Movie: The 1st season is still the only consistently good thing about this whole franchise. Hopefully this goddamn snorefest is the last thing we get out of it. Urobuchi, get back to making decent standalone movies and Kamen Rider shows.
  • Chaos Dragon: gently caress this show.
  • Gangsta: This show was a bummer, especially given how solid it started.
  • Rokka no Yuusha: gently caress this show's ending. Everything else was deece. But by jove, was that ending awful as poo poo.
  • Prison School: This was rushed as hell, even if it was a fun ride at points.

Holy poo poo, that's 16 anime shows I watched this year that I consistently enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

-C-COME AGAIN!?

Part of what I feel clinched the deal for me is just how Yona REALLY transforms through the story. Going from the typical royal princess / bratty ojou-sama to that one stone-loving-cold glare that could inspire a hundred :krad: metal songs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There. That is one of the two stone-cold glares. I absolutely loved that moment in the anime. I know it's a really emotional moment for Yona, but the way she looks at Kumji speaks thousands upon thousands of words, each more loving badass than the previous one. What probably comes to her mind, though?

"You are going to die, and I'm not even gonna bother with a second thought about you afterwards"

I had not seen the manga version. It looks even more :black101: than the anime.

gently caress it, I'm going to binge through it in these two days I have free.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cutest girl with huge eyebrows. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

Hello Best Anime 2015 thread,

you made me watch Shirobako these past few days.

I doubt anybody gives a poo poo, but I'd like to recast my vote to include Shirobako instead of Prison School. Sorry, Prison School.
Shirobako caused feels that were too powerful.

:qq:

Torquemadras posted:

Oh boy, ranking time. :toot:

5. Prison School.
Love the manga, love the show. A really great prison break story with an entertainingly stupid premise, utterly unashamed of what it's trying to be. Also, I'm a sucker for comedy due to ASTOUNDINGLY stupid characters. :haw:

4. Owarimonogatari.
For me, the -monogatari shows pretty much succeed when they don't focus on garbage tier characters (of which there are too many, yeah). This season mostly did that, so good job! Ougi is fantastically creepy + manipulative, Kanbaru pretty much saves the second half of this season. Certainly doesn't come close to the unbeatable combination of Senjougahara + Kaiki, but I'll take it! I'm always amazed how great this show can be with nothing but talking.

3. Concrete Revolutio.
Didn't see this one coming. It's weird as hell, VERY political, almost Watchmen-like in its commentary, and pretty dang complex. The action isn't that great, but it has its moments. The true verdict comes when this show starts to resolve its conflicts - a lot could go wrong then. But for now, it's interesting, unusual, and strangely appealing!

2. JoJo Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc.
I'll be honest, I didn't like the first half of this show. Phantom Blood was okay and intriguing enough for me to continue; Battle Tendency was phenomenal; Stardust Crusaders was... hm. I didn't like the monster-of-the-week approach, and the action seemed to consist of nothing but stills with lip flaps added. If it weren't for the trademark JoJo weirdness, I would've dropped it pretty fast. It felt MUCH rougher around the edges than Battle Tendency.
Well, the second half was loving phenomenal, so all is forgiven! The villains are MUCH more interesting, on par with the great antagonists from earlier seasons, which also makes all the mid-battle talking that much greater. Hell, it pretty much becomes the point. Coupled with some pretty great action scenes (doubtlessly due to the iconic scenes they're in), it's great, tense, badass and totally weird. There's a couple animation issues later down the road, but eh. I'm basically a dinosaur, I only see motion anway. :v:

1. One Punch Man.
The moment this was announced, I knew there was no chance it wouldn't take first place in my personal list. It's funny and full of incredible action. One of the few anime shows I would recommend to non-anime viewers without hesitation.
And even though you'd think its main premise, a hero who's gotten so strong he always wins in one punch, would tire out very fast - it never does! And there's a great parody underneath: countless stereotypes get thrown against the unbeatable hero, only to get mercilessly exposed as the arrogant fuckups & idiots they are, because bullying through power just doesn't work with this guy. In the end, it's about what a hero really is. It's a loving parody of superhero action shows, and like all great parodies, an incredible superhero action show as well. And since I'm a sucker for good-looking action, this easily takes #1.
Plus, the opening theme is insanely stupid rock and it's great. I never skipped it.

...unfortunately, these are also the only five shows from 2015 I watched, so I couldn't even include any others if I had to :v: Guess I'll check out Shirobako, seeing how many put it in their top 5! Maybe Euphonium too? Dunno, I REALLY liked K-On, and Euphonium didn't seem nearly as whacky going by the first episode... Meh.

Get crackin', Torquemadras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

I'm not going to watch a romance with no payoff which is what y'all have made it sound like.

Wanting to see people smooch is a commendable goal.

• Locked thread