Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's Shirobako.

But yeah, this was a really great year for anime, and I'll have my work cut out for me narrowing the list down to five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
1) Shirobako - I've known for months now that Shirobako was the show to beat this year. I didn't realize how many shows would take a legitimate crack at it, though. Shirobako has characters one cares about, characters one hates and wants to see get smacked with rolled up paper but he gets redeemed holy crap I still can't believe I like Tarou, that one character who was smarmy as gently caress and got what was coming hell yeah, and characters that were very believable as anime makers because they're based on real people in the industry. The individual character arcs were great (well, less so for tire girl) and the emotional catharsis from that one scene at the end you know what I'm talking about is incredible and matched this year only by some of the scenes from Euphonium. It's so, so good, and I'm just rambling so I'm going to stop.

21) Sound! Euphonium - I absolutely adore this show. I personally probably like it a bit more than Shirobako, but... gently caress, I don't know, never mind, these tie for first. The show is gorgeous, as one would expect from KyoAni, and it hits all the emotional beats just right. The attention to detail in framing is amazing and does a fantastic job of making you feel what the characters feel without having them say "I'm so dejected" or "I'm determined" or "I'm so in love with this girl." Combine all this with its spot-on evocation of high school band, and it becomes one of my favorite shows of all time, and a contender for my favorite Kyoani. Kumiko makes great noises.

3) One-Punch Man - Good animation, good voice acting, great source material, there was no doubt that this was going to be good. It's good.

4) Non Non Biyori Repeat - So good. So chill. So funky. I want Non Non Biyori always.

5) My Love Story!! - The absolute best fluffy shoujo ever. No drama that's not resolved within 2-3 episodes, Characters communicating to solve their problems, big gorilla protagonist, best best friend ever... this show has it all.

6) Gatchaman Crowds Insight - Really good, but didn't quite do it for me as much as the first season, so it just barely gets edged out of the five.

Honorable mentions, any one of which would hit the top 5 in a normal year:
* Wakako-zake - Good, and chill, and made me want to eat good food and drink good booze. I want more.
* SNAFU s2 - So much payoff. Season 1 was good, but season 2 really took it to another level. I will kill Namtab if there is no season 3.
* Working!!! - Good and funny with romantic resolutions! Now I need Lord of the Takanashi.

These shows are some variation of my jam, but I've yet to watch more than a handful of episodes of each. I doubt any would crack the top five, but one never knows.
* Snow White with the Red Hair
* Akatsuki no Yona
* Maria the Virgin Witch
* Jojo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was unintentional, but I like that the gifs decrease in size as the rankings go down.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You're weak poo poo!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ranking at all is optional. That said, if ranking affects vote tallying, please count Euphonium as #2 I guess, since until I started writing stuff out I was 100% convinced that Shirobako was #1.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also it's getting a second season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

darkgray posted:

Feels like I screwed up 2009 in hindsight. Would it be possible to redo a proper 2009 vote now? It could finally give Haruhi s2 the recognition it deserves.

A yearly "best anime of ten years ago" thread could be a cool idea.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

47. 60 Ore Monogatari!!

50. 55 WORKING!!!

worthless

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Coaaab posted:

Wow, no Blood Blockade Battlefront either, didn't it sell really well?

Judging from some doujins I've caught sight of, it sold well to a different crowd.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Nice work Lucy, thanks! I think the top 3 were never really in doubt. A fantastic year for anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Animes that showed up on both the good and bad lists with more than one mention in each:
  • Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2
  • Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
  • Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
  • Prison School
  • Rokka no Yuusha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers)
  • Yurikuma Arashi

Rokka (7 good/11 bad) and Yurikuma (4/9) are hands-down the most controversial of the year, which makes perfect sense.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

shoutout to the other 4 im@s fans

I'm going to watch CG someday.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's interesting how little the top 10 changed from unweighted to weighted. Only the top 2 switched.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think it's OK to forget that list.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't even remember hearing about YQ that year, and not much since until the chat thread loved it. I'll go ahead and say it here, though, in 2016, in the Best Anime of 2015 thread: Yozakura Quartet was one of the best animes of 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

i have an inherent complete hatred for anything overly fanservicey and rapey and thats entirely what klk is so any of its good parts are blinded by my fury

Why did you watch Kill la Kill?

• Locked thread