Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
hi folks. this thread is about southern california hikes. we have some very nice + scenic areas despite being a dystopian metropolis.

i am a brand new baby hiker as of LAST MONTH so I have not seen much of it yet. i have been on two trails, both at Chantry Flats. 1 was Sturtevant Falls, which was a bit disappointing cause it was so crowded, except when we went up on what I think is called the lower trail to the top of the falls and took a loop around to the gabrielino trail. there were only a couple other people(a Saturday morning last month) and there were some really good visuals. also, we met this guy: http://www.canyoncartography.com/ who was repairing one of the telephone wires. he was very nice and informative and showed us his map. the other trail I went on was to hermit falls which was pretty relaxing, very short though and not much water in the falls.

my friends are experienced hikers who have been all over. they want to take me up to mount baldy(mount san antonio) which I am excited for. here is my next destination tho:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I consider walking up hills in Griffith Park to be hiking, and I do it for a few hours every other week because I am an idiot. But, I do have fun doing it with friends, as always along with some gentle ribbing as to whose shirt is dampest from sweat, for example

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

switzer falls is p good

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone know of good birding trails near Malibu? My grandma got a new camera for christmas and I offered to take her birdwatching so I could teach her how to use it. She's 86 or so but in good shape for her age; she can probably go 2-3 miles in either direction, as long as we're on a trail that doesn't have too many steep grades.

if you help me out ill post birdpics

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Now is the time to desert hike. Go hike the abandoned trestle bridge east of San Diego. It's wild west as gently caress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm going to california for 2 weeks on monday and I'm looking forward to walking some trails. Even going to yosmite for a day (I know it's cold, doesn't bother me much)

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

In the San Gabriels:

Bridge to Nowhere is awesome, but best in the summer when you can swim. Also crazy busy if you go on a bungee jumping day.

Icehouse Canyon is a great hike that leads to a saddle with trails to several nice peaks, and can be part of the 3-T's, a great ridge-following loop.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm going to california for 2 weeks on monday and I'm looking forward to walking some trails. Even going to yosmite for a day (I know it's cold, doesn't bother me much)

Yosemite deserves it's reputation. Enjoy yourself.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Anyone know of good birding trails near Malibu? My grandma got a new camera for christmas and I offered to take her birdwatching so I could teach her how to use it. She's 86 or so but in good shape for her age; she can probably go 2-3 miles in either direction, as long as we're on a trail that doesn't have too many steep grades.

if you help me out ill post birdpics

I've had good look spotting birds along Solstice Canyon. Lots of nice scenery, ruins of homes along the way, waterfalls at the end, and a secret alcove if you know where to look.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Has anyone been to the Murphy's Ranch trail in awhile? I went a few years ago but I have heard that since then people have been getting trespassing tickets there now

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

HarryPurvis posted:

I've had good look spotting birds along Solstice Canyon. Lots of nice scenery, ruins of homes along the way, waterfalls at the end, and a secret alcove if you know where to look.

this looks really cool! i went up to chiquito falls this past weekend, it was really pretty :) i am a truly awful photographer unfortunately.

this last one is of the falls from a short distance away. no water, of course. this is california.

fun hike.

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I recommend the hike above Pasadena to the old abandoned railway/powerstation.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

French Canadian posted:

Now is the time to desert hike. Go hike the abandoned trestle bridge east of San Diego. It's wild west as gently caress.

Sadly, I haven't done the goat canyon trestle but it is on my to do list! It looks cool as poo poo.
http://californiathroughmylens.com/goat-canyon-trestle

Another fun hike day hike is ladder canyon in the Mecca Wilderness. It's about 4 miles round trip I think but the slots are super cool and painted canyon on the way out it is amazing.
http://www.in-the-desert.com/laddercanyon.html

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

GopherFlats posted:

Sadly, I haven't done the goat canyon trestle but it is on my to do list! It looks cool as poo poo.
http://californiathroughmylens.com/goat-canyon-trestle

Another fun hike day hike is ladder canyon in the Mecca Wilderness. It's about 4 miles round trip I think but the slots are super cool and painted canyon on the way out it is amazing.
http://www.in-the-desert.com/laddercanyon.html

I so want to do Ladder Canyon. But the reputation for vehicle break-ins and vandalism at the trailhead is a big dissuasion for me.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I just did Abalone Cove a week ago, that is a fun and easy hike, but try to time it to be during low tide otherwise most of the tidepools will be underwater.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Secret Canyon? I ran out of water there once because it was a 16 mile hike in mid-August and 4 liters isn't enough for that when it's 90+ degrees out. You should totally do it, it's awesome.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

HarryPurvis posted:

I so want to do Ladder Canyon. But the reputation for vehicle break-ins and vandalism at the trailhead is a big dissuasion for me.

Ladder Canyon is awesome, basically mini-Utah. It's definitely out in meth-wasteland territory, but even on the winter Thursday I went there were enough regular people around that I wouldn't worry much. My ancient Corolla needed help out of the deep sand about a mile short of the trailhead though, so 4WD or several friends would be a good idea.

One of many cool little side canyons, if you're cool with class 3 there are a lot of places to explore off the main line.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alpenglow posted:

Ladder Canyon is awesome, basically mini-Utah. It's definitely out in meth-wasteland territory, but even on the winter Thursday I went there were enough regular people around that I wouldn't worry much. My ancient Corolla needed help out of the deep sand about a mile short of the trailhead though, so 4WD or several friends would be a good idea.

One of many cool little side canyons, if you're cool with class 3 there are a lot of places to explore off the main line.

Literally mouthed 'woah' at that last one

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I'm gonna hit Murphy Ranch next week before they tear part of it down. Not really very hike-like but it's a really cool spot and I'm sad it'll be diminished.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Has anyone done three sisters falls? I'm seeing a few places listing it as hard. It doesn't look tough outside some bouldering and maybe a couple steep inclines.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

GopherFlats posted:

Has anyone done three sisters falls? I'm seeing a few places listing it as hard. It doesn't look tough outside some bouldering and maybe a couple steep inclines.

It's been 3 or 4 years since I've done it but it wasn't too bad. Steep, with a couple sections of rope. Pretty much just steep, and exposed if you go on a hot day, but the waterfall makes up for that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GopherFlats posted:

The last time I did it was about 6 months ago. It is a trace trail, not a maintained one, so there is a section of steep incline that is eroded and slow-going. I don't think it's particularly difficult but I have seen people struggle in some places.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I want to hike up Mt. Baldy and I would like to try it in late May. Is there a webpage which lists the current trail conditions? I only need to know if there is snow or not. I have data for wind and temperature.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 24, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

I want to hike up Mt. Baldy and I would like to try it in late May. Is there a webpage which lists the current trail conditions? I only need to know if there is snow or not. I have data for wind and temperature.

You can check Mt Baldy Ski lifts for a decent local report of the mountain. While they don't cover trail conditions, it is a good bet that if they have snow, the rest of the mountain does too.

Honestly, barring any more significant storms Baldy will be snow free. I just went up yesterday and there were only small sheets of snow in the shady places, and larger sheets on the north facing slopes. My feet touched snow twice and that was only on the switchbacks past the ski hut. No snow at the summit but just over the ridge the north slope is still holding on to some larger sheets of snow and ice.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

You can check Mt Baldy Ski lifts for a decent local report of the mountain. While they don't cover trail conditions, it is a good bet that if they have snow, the rest of the mountain does too.

Honestly, barring any more significant storms Baldy will be snow free. I just went up yesterday and there were only small sheets of snow in the shady places, and larger sheets on the north facing slopes. My feet touched snow twice and that was only on the switchbacks past the ski hut. No snow at the summit but just over the ridge the north slope is still holding on to some larger sheets of snow and ice.

Excellent, thanks.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Excellent, thanks.

Just a heads up that Baldy did get some snow today and may get a little more over the course of the rest of the week.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I'm considering a job in Santa Barbara. How's the hiking over yonder? I would expect it's good with the Santa Ynez mountains being right there. I'm probably going for an in person interview in mid May.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.

GopherFlats posted:

It's only hard if you don't take water. People leave SD early in the morning when it's nice and cool, and by the time they're hiking the steep uphill from the falls it's 95+ and there's no shade. People die on that trail every few years, and there are constant rescues.

Basically if you're not a moron you'll be ok.

Also like every trail in SoCal, it's crowded and people throw their water bottles and trash along the trail. Go early, go on a weekday if possible, and for god's sake use the turnouts on the way to and from to let other cars pass (I might live on that road).

Also look for the dickwood tree:

And as for Goat Canyon Trestle, it is definitely a great hike. I hiked it 4-5 weeks ago, and some assholes had recently tagged/vandalized rocks along the trail all the way there and back. If you're going soon and feel like being cool, maybe take some rock-colored paints and try to hide that poo poo. (I have no idea if that would be considered illegal as well, so maybe don't unless you know it would be ok.)

Watommi fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 1, 2016

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Awesome, thanks!

So me and some buddies did cougar canyon today and it was amazing. I didn't realize how out of shape I was, once you get to the mouth it's bouldering all the way through a small running stream. Apparently it's 900' ascent in 1.5 miles.

I had never been but I'm definitely making it a point to get back out to coyote canyon and the willows again once it cools down. Awesome scenery and some interesting looking hikes out there.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Just a heads up that Baldy did get some snow today and may get a little more over the course of the rest of the week.

My trip is scheduled for May 20th, with a chance to cancel until May 16th. If there is excessive snow, I'll cancel my trip. If there is some snow, I'll just go ahead as planned, just to familiarize myself with the terrain. I can always come back for another attempt later in the year.

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm considering a job in Santa Barbara. How's the hiking over yonder? I would expect it's good with the Santa Ynez mountains being right there. I'm probably going for an in person interview in mid May.

Even though I live here, I don't know that much about hiking here. All my favorite trails are on Santa Cruz island, so you would have to take a boat out. Those hikes are totally worth it ... and this is coming from somebody how has repeatedly puked his brains out on the boat ride to the island. World class diving too. I spent most of my outdoor time at night though, so you better come over here and see for yourself.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My Mt. Baldy hike is coming up in a week. How crowded should I expect it to be? It's still pretty cold so I don't expect many people, and I'll be doing the hike on a Friday. Are the trails as poorly marked as several web pages suggest?

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

My Mt. Baldy hike is coming up in a week. How crowded should I expect it to be? It's still pretty cold so I don't expect many people, and I'll be doing the hike on a Friday. Are the trails as poorly marked as several web pages suggest?

The summit is more or less a social club by noon on the weekends. No idea how crowded it will be on a Friday but expect at least a few others up there.

Depending on which trail you are following there might be a few tricky spots.

- The backbone trail is the most clearly marked and easiest to follow.

- If you're going up the ski hut trail the turn off from the fire road is easy to miss if you've never been there before. But once your on the ski hut trail it's clear sailing up to the bowl. From there the trail meanders a bit and splits and reconnects in places. Just follow the most well worn path and you should be good.

- If your going up Register Ridge that's super easy to miss if you've never done it. First you have to find the ski hut turn off. Then after about 100 yards looks for a use trail to your right that looks like it's going straight up into some brush.

- The trail from the village is clearly marked and easy to follow. And that's about the only easy thing about that trail. 6000' of gain in 6 miles is a real rear end-kicker. But I will say it is the prettiest trail up to the top.

Have fun and post some shots when you get back!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

The summit is more or less a social club by noon on the weekends. No idea how crowded it will be on a Friday but expect at least a few others up there.

Depending on which trail you are following there might be a few tricky spots.

- The backbone trail is the most clearly marked and easiest to follow.

- If you're going up the ski hut trail the turn off from the fire road is easy to miss if you've never been there before. But once your on the ski hut trail it's clear sailing up to the bowl. From there the trail meanders a bit and splits and reconnects in places. Just follow the most well worn path and you should be good.

- If your going up Register Ridge that's super easy to miss if you've never done it. First you have to find the ski hut turn off. Then after about 100 yards looks for a use trail to your right that looks like it's going straight up into some brush.

- The trail from the village is clearly marked and easy to follow. And that's about the only easy thing about that trail. 6000' of gain in 6 miles is a real rear end-kicker. But I will say it is the prettiest trail up to the top.

Have fun and post some shots when you get back!

I was planning on doing the backbone trail going up, and the ski hut trail going down. This page made the ski hut trail seem tricky because signs were pointing in the wrong direction. Maybe I'll just do the backbone trail up and down.

I'll post pictures if they turn out to be good.

Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What winds are considered dangerous for Mt. Baldy? I read that in strong winds the Devil's Backbone hike is not advised because of steep slopes to the left and right of the trail. A wind forecast that I trust for my local area, suggests 35 mph winds (or just gusts?) for the day of my hike of Baldy Click. This is dangerously strong, right?

Sorry for having hijacked this thread.

Edit: I've cancelled my hotel reservation for this trip. Hopefully the weather will improve by next week, otherwise I'll have to reschedule for the middle of next month.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 17, 2016

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, the backbone would be scary with 35mph wind. It could also be considerably more than that with the ridge shape.

I strongly prefer Ski Hut up and Backbone down to save knees. You also get to enjoy the desert views more with afternoon light and can get a beer or something at the ski lodge halfway back. It's also easy to find the trail at the top of the bowl, but descending to the ski hut it can be hit or miss if the winter really wrecked poo poo up.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

What winds are considered dangerous for Mt. Baldy? I read that in strong winds the Devil's Backbone hike is not advised because of steep slopes to the left and right of the trail. A wind forecast that I trust for my local area, suggests 35 mph winds (or just gusts?) for the day of my hike of Baldy Click. This is dangerously strong, right?

Sorry for having hijacked this thread.

Edit: I've cancelled my hotel reservation for this trip. Hopefully the weather will improve by next week, otherwise I'll have to reschedule for the middle of next month.

35 isn't too bad. Even at its narrowest the backbone trail is still about 10 feet wide. Unless you have balance issues or a massive pack 35 mph might make you clench your sphincter, but should not be enough to be dangerous. And bear in mind, if thats the peak gust speed then the steady wind is probably around 20 or so and thats just a strong breeze (to me at least).

What day are you planning to hike it? You mentioned going on a Friday to avoid crowds. Maybe we can meet up at the trailhead and I'll show you the ski hut trail.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

35 isn't too bad. Even at its narrowest the backbone trail is still about 10 feet wide. Unless you have balance issues or a massive pack 35 mph might make you clench your sphincter, but should not be enough to be dangerous. And bear in mind, if thats the peak gust speed then the steady wind is probably around 20 or so and thats just a strong breeze (to me at least).

What day are you planning to hike it? You mentioned going on a Friday to avoid crowds. Maybe we can meet up at the trailhead and I'll show you the ski hut trail.

Thanks for the offer. I'm not entirely sure when I'll hit the trail, so I'll have to decline.

Re wind: I've hiked at altitude, I've been on long hikes, I frequently spend several hours in freezing temps ..., but I've never done all these things at the same time. A long hike at altitude in cold temps will already tax me. I worry that strong winds will make the whole thing unenjoyable. I'd rather wait for a calmer day next week because I have lots of flexibility with my vacation days.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ive never hiked to the hollywood sign, that poo poo it for tourists :rolleyes:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

I just completed the hike. Devil's Backbone, out and back via that eyesore fire road to the Top of the Notch. Took me 4.5 hours to get up, another 3 to come down. When i reached the summit there were only 5 other people up there. Will post pics tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Nooner posted:

ive never hiked to the hollywood sign, that poo poo it for tourists :rolleyes:

im gonna go up there to see where homer smashed up the weather machine that time

• Locked thread