Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

In the San Gabriels:

Bridge to Nowhere is awesome, but best in the summer when you can swim. Also crazy busy if you go on a bungee jumping day.

Icehouse Canyon is a great hike that leads to a saddle with trails to several nice peaks, and can be part of the 3-T's, a great ridge-following loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

HarryPurvis posted:

I so want to do Ladder Canyon. But the reputation for vehicle break-ins and vandalism at the trailhead is a big dissuasion for me.

Ladder Canyon is awesome, basically mini-Utah. It's definitely out in meth-wasteland territory, but even on the winter Thursday I went there were enough regular people around that I wouldn't worry much. My ancient Corolla needed help out of the deep sand about a mile short of the trailhead though, so 4WD or several friends would be a good idea.

One of many cool little side canyons, if you're cool with class 3 there are a lot of places to explore off the main line.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, the backbone would be scary with 35mph wind. It could also be considerably more than that with the ridge shape.

I strongly prefer Ski Hut up and Backbone down to save knees. You also get to enjoy the desert views more with afternoon light and can get a beer or something at the ski lodge halfway back. It's also easy to find the trail at the top of the bowl, but descending to the ski hut it can be hit or miss if the winter really wrecked poo poo up.

• Locked thread