Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I want to hike up Mt. Baldy and I would like to try it in late May. Is there a webpage which lists the current trail conditions? I only need to know if there is snow or not. I have data for wind and temperature.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

You can check Mt Baldy Ski lifts for a decent local report of the mountain. While they don't cover trail conditions, it is a good bet that if they have snow, the rest of the mountain does too.

Honestly, barring any more significant storms Baldy will be snow free. I just went up yesterday and there were only small sheets of snow in the shady places, and larger sheets on the north facing slopes. My feet touched snow twice and that was only on the switchbacks past the ski hut. No snow at the summit but just over the ridge the north slope is still holding on to some larger sheets of snow and ice.

Excellent, thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Just a heads up that Baldy did get some snow today and may get a little more over the course of the rest of the week.

My trip is scheduled for May 20th, with a chance to cancel until May 16th. If there is excessive snow, I'll cancel my trip. If there is some snow, I'll just go ahead as planned, just to familiarize myself with the terrain. I can always come back for another attempt later in the year.

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm considering a job in Santa Barbara. How's the hiking over yonder? I would expect it's good with the Santa Ynez mountains being right there. I'm probably going for an in person interview in mid May.

Even though I live here, I don't know that much about hiking here. All my favorite trails are on Santa Cruz island, so you would have to take a boat out. Those hikes are totally worth it ... and this is coming from somebody how has repeatedly puked his brains out on the boat ride to the island. World class diving too. I spent most of my outdoor time at night though, so you better come over here and see for yourself.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My Mt. Baldy hike is coming up in a week. How crowded should I expect it to be? It's still pretty cold so I don't expect many people, and I'll be doing the hike on a Friday. Are the trails as poorly marked as several web pages suggest?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

The summit is more or less a social club by noon on the weekends. No idea how crowded it will be on a Friday but expect at least a few others up there.

Depending on which trail you are following there might be a few tricky spots.

- The backbone trail is the most clearly marked and easiest to follow.

- If you're going up the ski hut trail the turn off from the fire road is easy to miss if you've never been there before. But once your on the ski hut trail it's clear sailing up to the bowl. From there the trail meanders a bit and splits and reconnects in places. Just follow the most well worn path and you should be good.

- If your going up Register Ridge that's super easy to miss if you've never done it. First you have to find the ski hut turn off. Then after about 100 yards looks for a use trail to your right that looks like it's going straight up into some brush.

- The trail from the village is clearly marked and easy to follow. And that's about the only easy thing about that trail. 6000' of gain in 6 miles is a real rear end-kicker. But I will say it is the prettiest trail up to the top.

Have fun and post some shots when you get back!

I was planning on doing the backbone trail going up, and the ski hut trail going down. This page made the ski hut trail seem tricky because signs were pointing in the wrong direction. Maybe I'll just do the backbone trail up and down.

I'll post pictures if they turn out to be good.

Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What winds are considered dangerous for Mt. Baldy? I read that in strong winds the Devil's Backbone hike is not advised because of steep slopes to the left and right of the trail. A wind forecast that I trust for my local area, suggests 35 mph winds (or just gusts?) for the day of my hike of Baldy Click. This is dangerously strong, right?

Sorry for having hijacked this thread.

Edit: I've cancelled my hotel reservation for this trip. Hopefully the weather will improve by next week, otherwise I'll have to reschedule for the middle of next month.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 17, 2016

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

35 isn't too bad. Even at its narrowest the backbone trail is still about 10 feet wide. Unless you have balance issues or a massive pack 35 mph might make you clench your sphincter, but should not be enough to be dangerous. And bear in mind, if thats the peak gust speed then the steady wind is probably around 20 or so and thats just a strong breeze (to me at least).

What day are you planning to hike it? You mentioned going on a Friday to avoid crowds. Maybe we can meet up at the trailhead and I'll show you the ski hut trail.

Thanks for the offer. I'm not entirely sure when I'll hit the trail, so I'll have to decline.

Re wind: I've hiked at altitude, I've been on long hikes, I frequently spend several hours in freezing temps ..., but I've never done all these things at the same time. A long hike at altitude in cold temps will already tax me. I worry that strong winds will make the whole thing unenjoyable. I'd rather wait for a calmer day next week because I have lots of flexibility with my vacation days.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

35 isn't too bad. Even at its narrowest the backbone trail is still about 10 feet wide. Unless you have balance issues or a massive pack 35 mph might make you clench your sphincter, but should not be enough to be dangerous. And bear in mind, if thats the peak gust speed then the steady wind is probably around 20 or so and thats just a strong breeze (to me at least).

What day are you planning to hike it? You mentioned going on a Friday to avoid crowds. Maybe we can meet up at the trailhead and I'll show you the ski hut trail.

I just completed the hike. Devil's Backbone, out and back via that eyesore fire road to the Top of the Notch. Took me 4.5 hours to get up, another 3 to come down. When i reached the summit there were only 5 other people up there. Will post pics tomorrow.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

As promised, some pictures. I was way too tired to take decent pictures on the way up.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Yeah that fire road sucks. Next time you go try going up via the Ski Hut trail, then down via Backbone and reward yourself with a drink and lunch at the Ski Lodge.

Will do. But the Lodge is only open Fri/Sat/Sun and I want to avoid crowds. I'll probably just do the Ski hut trail up and Backbone down (without lunch at the lodge) later this year.

Edit: Have you ever hiked San Gorgonio?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HarryPurvis posted:

Was just up San Gorgonio this past weekend. And three weeks ago in the snow. If not for the hellish first mile it would be my favorite hike in SoCal.

Nice! I'll give it a try later this year or next. I am assuming it would be suicidal to try Gorgonio in the snow if I have very little experience hiking in the snow, right?

• Locked thread