Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: This year's winners can be found on Page 3 :siren:

Hello, and welcome to the first annual Golden Wonderhanger* awards!

Modeled after D&D's Gay Abortions Awards, the Golden Wonderhangers are BFC's opportunity to commemorate the year in Bad With Money. There are 8 categories, including the Worst With Money grand prize :toot:

The Process
Anyone who wishes to submit nominations has until 23:59 Central on December 31 January 3 to post their nominees. For each category, quote a single post from 2015. You don't have to have a nominee for each category. Every poster is allowed one post in which they nominate submissions. If you'd like to add to or change your nominees, please edit that post before 23:59 Central on December 31.

Voting will begin immediately after the submissions are compiled into the post below this one. The votes will be tallied and results will be announced by uhhhhh whenever I get around to it in January. Vote for each category by naming the category and the letter indicating that item (you'll see what I mean when I compile the nominations).

The Judges
Your judges are me and Nail Rat. I'm deputizing Nail Rat even though I didn't ask him (her?) because (s)he is my favorite poster in the BWM thread. If (s)he doesn't want to do it then it's just me :twisted:

The judges may agree to veto any submission, or trim a list if there are too many nominees. Please ask me if you have questions about the Golden Wonderhangers Awards or any part of the nomination and voting processes.

What to do
Please quote or link posts from 2015 for each of the categories you want to nominate in. Remember, you don't have to do every category if you don't have nominations for each one.
Please save discussions, advocacy, etc for until the nomination period is complete.
Nominations must connect to something that occurred on SA in 2015. For example, a blog post from 2013 is fair game if it was discussed on SA in 2015. A crowdfunding plea from November is invalid if it was not discussed anywhere on SA before I posted this thread.

The Categories
  • Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
  • Funniest Redditor
  • Worst mainstream media article
  • Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
  • Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
  • Best derail
  • Most eyerolling humblebrag
  • Worst With Money (overall grand prize)

OK, get to nominating! I probably hosed this OP up since I cribbed heavily from D&D plus I went out and had some drinks tonight, so please tell me if there's anything you don't understand and I'll fix it.

*If you don't know, search "zaurg"

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: Voting for the 2015 Golden Wonderhangers is now active! :siren:

The nominees are as follows:

1. Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
  1. Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
  2. Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008
  3. Knyteguy backslides :smith: First nominated by: detectivemonkey
  4. SloMo's last stand on Abortion Hill First nominated by: MrKatharsis

2. Funniest Redditor
  1. Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
  2. Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
  3. Man sells everything to buy $100K call options on AAPL, tastes profit, ends penniless #YOLO First nominated by: Devian666
  4. I sold my Rent a Center furniture to pay legal fees and now RAC wants their stuff back First nominated by: flynt

3. Worst mainstream media article
  1. If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children
  2. "My uterus literally aches despite the fact that logic suggests we can't afford it right now" First nominated by: flynt
  3. Here's the budget of a family who feels like they've 'made it' earning $142,000 a year ($2,400/year on wife's hair and nails is just the beginning) First nominated by: Pompous Rhombus

4. Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
  1. $30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
  2. Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro
  3. Please give me $15,000 to go to Greece to build a portfolio because I'm going to be $60,000 in debt from photography school First nominated by: pig slut lisa

5. Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
  1. Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X
  2. Muerte quits job to hike across America to raise money for mental health issues. Takes an Uber back home after 4 days. First nominated by: flynt (Originally nominated for worst crowdfunding, but moved here because Blue Story didn't have any competition and holy hell is this some competition)
  3. g0lbez makes my goddamn head explode first nominated by: pig slut lisa

6. Best derail
  1. Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod
  2. Car Chat, oh sweet jesus this bullshit First nominated by: pig slut lisa
  3. Wedding Chat First nominated by: I'm gonna say Nail Rat since I know they hate this nonsense

7. Most eyerolling humblebrag
  1. KingFisher paid off student loans early, says it's BWM because it's dropping off the credit report :rolleye: First nominated by: Renegret
  2. Switchback complains about the lack of social recognition for a $15,000 pink diamond First nominated by: Weatherman
  3. _areaman tells us about his inexpensive wedding, decides we also need to know he makes $200K+ per year First nominated by: GoGoGadgetChris
  4. "To be honest I'm deeply dissatisfied with my life as a HENRY and wish I was brave enough to quit everything and live as a 3rd world farmer. P.S. Seriously lolling at how poorly traveled everyone in this thread is." First nominated by: pig slut lisa

Please vote by listing the alphanumeric combo for your favorite nominee in each category. Additionally, please put a * next to your vote for the overall grand prize of Worst With Money.

Here is an example of a properly formatted ballot:
1D
2A*
3A
4B
5A
6B
7C

If you want to discuss why you made your picks that's fine, just please have a properly formatted list somewhere in your post.

I will be closing the thread sometime at 10 PM CST on Friday, January 15th to tally votes.

Thanks, and let the voting begin!

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 10, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Haifisch posted:

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread: Blue Story (it still counts since it started in BFC, right?)

Blue Story is eligible for both Biggest BFC trainwreck thread and Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA

I'd suggest linking to that thread in your post so that people who aren't familiar with it can check it out themselves

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Just a reminder for everyone:

pig slut lisa posted:

What to do
Please quote or link posts from 2015 for each of the categories you want to nominate in. Remember, you don't have to do every category if you don't have nominations for each one.
Nominations must connect to something that occurred on SA in 2015. For example, a blog post from 2013 is fair game if it was discussed on SA in 2015. A crowdfunding plea from November is invalid if it was not discussed anywhere on SA before I posted this thread.

Really enjoying seeing the nominations so far!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

I personally think the humblebrag should need to go to a post/series of posts, not an entire thread from different people (some of which are humblebrags, some of which aren't).

While that may be a little helldumpish, otherwise it's a pointless category because of course the financial goals thread will win. That's kind of the whole point of that thread.

I agree with this.

Also we need more nominations. I've been traveling the past several days so I'm behind on the main BWM thread but I'll go obnoxiously shill in there a couple times.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here are the nominations as of the evening of 12/30. Nominate more things! I'm extending the nomination period through Sunday, January 3

pig slut lisa posted:

Nominations as of 12/30

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008

Funniest Redditor
Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood

Worst mainstream media article
If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children

Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
$30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro

Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X

Best derail
Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod

Most eyerolling humblebrag

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Duckman2008 posted:

Add a vote on these two for me, I don't think I voted on either category get.

Holy hell I forgot about Souvenir check and how hysterically awful an idea that was.

Not voting yet, still nominating.

Also nobody needs to say "Blue Story" again since that's been nominated a billion times already. Don't worry, you'll get your chance to vote on it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I thought Nail Rat's explanation was pretty good. An additional reason is that the Financial Goals thread is primarily populated outright and undisguised brags, not humblebrags.

That said, I bet there are some excellent individual humblebrags buried inside that thread!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

The most amazing redditor was in /r/wallstreetbets who sold everything to go all in to apple call options. I believe he put in around $100k and apple's price went up enough that he was in the money (an amazing turn of events), and then he held until expiry. During which apple's stock price dropped three days before expiry so the calls expired worthless. A terrible bet which he could have profited from but ran it into the ground by being greedy.

Unfortunately there's nothing to link as he destroyed the OP with spam and deleted his account.

This guy? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=374&perpage=40#post447690703

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here is the updated list of nominations:

pig slut lisa posted:

Nominations as of 12/30

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008
Knyteguy backslides :smith: First nominated by: detectivemonkey

Funniest Redditor
Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Man sells everything to buy $100K call options on AAPL, tastes profit, ends penniless #YOLO First nominated by: Devian666
I sold my Rent a Center furniture to pay legal fees and now RAC wants their stuff back First nominated by: flynt

Worst mainstream media article
If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children

Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
$30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro

Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X
Muerte quits job to hike across America to raise money for mental health issues. Takes an Uber back home after 4 days. First nominated by: flynt (Originally nominated for worst crowdfunding, but moved here because Blue Story didn't have any competition and holy hell is this some competition)

Best derail
Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod

Most eyerolling humblebrag
KingFisher paid off student loans early, says it's BWM because it's dropping off the credit report :rolleye: First nominated by: Renegret
Switchback complains about the lack of social recognition for a $15,000 pink diamond First nominated by: Weatherman
_areaman tells us about his inexpensive wedding, decides we also need to know he makes $200K+ per year First nominated by: GoGoGadgetChris

Please let me know if I've missed something!

Also, reminder that a proper nomination includes a link to your BWM redditor/article/whatever being discussed on SA. For example, Pompous Rhombus and flynt nominated what seem like great articles but I haven't been able to find anything about them on SA outside this thread. I'd love to add them though if someone can find them!

vvvv Thanks! Apologize for any confusion on my part :)

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks everyone for your nominations! I'm going to close the thread for a few days while Nail Rat and I flesh out some of the categories. Check back later in the week for voting.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: Voting for the 2015 Golden Wonderhangers is now active! :siren:

Please see this post for the full slate of nominees as well as voting instructions

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 10, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Only a few more hours to vote in this meaningless contest that doesn't have any prizes!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to announce your inaugural Golden Wonderhanger winners!

• The Biggest BFC trainwreck thread of 2015 was Blue Story! First nominated by Haifisch, this tale from a long time ago in Cascadia far away started out strong before disappointing and confusing many long-time fans. However, recent updates have shown that this franchise is simply too strong to ever peter out.

• The Funniest Redditor was this year's most hotly contested category. Souvenir Checks garnered twelve votes, but thirteen voters chose the mindboggling tale of Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam, first nominated by Mojo Threepwood.

• Voters shed their dissension for Worst mainstream media article, with 26 choosing If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong. This article was first nominated by Not a Children, who probably has never earned a $60,000 pay raise by partying networking at nightclubs.

• 26 voters also agreed on this year's Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote, handing the prize to
    Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by Tyro, this winner may inspire frequent BWM thread posters to keep a closer eye on r/wallstreetbets in 2016.

• Blue Story bounced around the forums this year but was unable to snag a second award as the Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA prize was handed to Muerte quits job to hike across America to raise money for mental health issues. Takes an Uber back home after 4 days. First nominated by flynt for worst crowdfunding, this submission steamrolled its way to victory with 23 votes.

• The Best derail of the year was overwhelmingly determined to be Horse Chat. First nominated by Giant Isopod, this topic was subsequently nominated by a dozen people who wanted to make sure I had seen it, had I really seen it, here it is again. Will Horse Chat be able to defend its crown next year, with Powerball Chat already proving a strong challenger early in the year? Stay tuned for next year's contest!

• The category awards concluded with a squeaker, as the Most eyerolling humblebrag went to _areaman tells us about his inexpensive wedding, decides we also need to know he makes $200K+ per year. First nominated by GoGoGadgetChris, this nomination was extra enjoyable once you realized it was _areaman's only post in the BWM thread since April. Thanks for stopping by, hope the wedding goes swell!

• Finally, we reach the ne plus ultra of the Golden Wonderhangers, the Worst With Money grand prize! Competition was fierce for this award, with nearly half of all category nominations garnering at least one vote. In the end, however, a plurality of votes went to Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! Did any of the other category winners really ever stand a chance against a Redditor?

Congrats to the winning nominators for having your finger on the pulse of BFC over the past year, and congrats to the winning nominees for providing endless entertainment. Without you, this forum would be a much duller place.

Thanks to Nail Rat and Slap Me Silly for your help with this. We aren't even out of January yet and I've already seen some strong contenders for next year's awards, so keep an eye out for the next generation of Golden Wonderhanger winners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Reminder: 3 months til nominations open.

• Locked thread