Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I didn't play this on N64 and I'm playing it on PC. It's got some pretty huge early 3d, N64 FPS AIDS but you know what, I kind of like it. It moves fast and the soundtrack is deece, and the world is designed all deranged and there's supernatural poo poo popping off left and right that don't make any drat sense but it's kind of awesome. Like portals that just appear in the world sort of randomly that have otherworldly bonus dimensions in them. What are your thoughts on this N64 classic, now on Steam for 19.99 and perhaps on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It owns, OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I sort of liked it but i probably wont ever replay it. See ya...and enjoy!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The terrible south park fps and southpark kart racing games ran in the turok engine also iirc

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9vuWFTXiA

Tragic Fat Detective
Jul 12, 2002

soulja boy tell em
Does the PC version have really bad fog so you can't see further than 10 feet in front of you?

Tragic Fat Detective
Jul 12, 2002

soulja boy tell em
Remember when this gmae came out Acclaim had a promotion where they would give parents $10,000 if they named their baby Turok

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, alrho it may have been a different acclaim game. Who knows really

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE66xUGNSz8

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Tragic Fat Detective posted:

Does the PC version have really bad fog so you can't see further than 10 feet in front of you?

No but it has like weird tiny graphical additions like light shafts and stuff but still otherwise looks like the game, sans fog.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao 20 dollars

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

it needs the fog because lots of the secret areas are hidden just outside of it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Im having a hard time imagining n64 games without fog

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think it's why that goldeneye half life mod was so bad

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

they faced the choice of either updating it to act like a pc shooter or staying faithful to the original and they picked the worst of both worlds

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think you can turn on fog or something if you really want to.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Though on PC I guess the fog has to be black.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But it has an extend draw distance on/off option.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYpaBoaXEk

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Off

On

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And the fog is in a gameplay option and I think it changes how enemies act and when they can see you, believe it or not.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's sort of less annoying with the fog on actually since the enemies aren't swarming you since they don't see you across the map.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is the difficulty largely kaput since youre not wrestling with a lovely analog stick?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well it's easy to hit stuff but the enemies are still hitscan and have weird animations and crap for the most part so I don't know. I never played the original.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Holy crap, you can climb trees.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Holy crap, you can climb trees.

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i probably put like 100 hours into the original as a kid, i distinctly remember the last two major levels being 90s 3D shooter platforming hell

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I kind of liking playing with the fog on.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

These levels are huge as gently caress.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

These levels are huge as gently caress.

youll probably end up revisiting them for more keys and poo poo too lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont even think i ever beat this game legit like, idk what you have to do to beat the game. i could get through the first 3-4 levels fine but it started throwing major bullshit at you and i gave up and started cheating. the cheats in the game are awesome

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It has a huge cheat menu built in. But I don't feel like cheat ATM. I got to a pillar platforming part so I'm gonna take a break.

Tragic Fat Detective
Jul 12, 2002

soulja boy tell em

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont even think i ever beat this game legit like, idk what you have to do to beat the game. i could get through the first 3-4 levels fine but it started throwing major bullshit at you and i gave up and started cheating. the cheats in the game are awesome

I pretty much just used cheats so I could use the cerebral bore on everything.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thats part 2...which is way better BTW and i hope they port that. i still dont know how the n64 ran that game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The first secret I found was in a pool of water there was a little hole under a wall that was about 6 inches high but Turok squeezed in there and it became about 10 feet high and my balls blew off from the non euclidean nightmare awesomeness.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh and going by the console in this it looks like it's on Unreal engine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there was a gamecube turok that was admittedly one of the worst games ever made but it looked worse than turok 2 lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's reminding me a lot of the first Quake, but the levels have all smoked a thousand pounds of speed and are 1000x as big.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

The terrible south park fps and southpark kart racing games ran in the turok engine also iirc
south park racing game was done in a different engine by a different developer (tantalus in australia, they're doing twilight princess hd nowadays).

they did not have a good time developing it

this history post posted:

South Park Rally could constitute a case study for everything that was wrong with the videogame industry back in that era. Until someone gets around to writing that case study, it is enough to say that a highly driven group of Tantalus employees developed an original game on PC, PSX, N64 and DreamCast. In seven months. Understandably, the end product was underwhelming, and when I arrived at the company a couple of years after it shipped I said to the guys, “well, I guess at least you would have made a few bucks out of it.” Not even. The budget for all those SKUs was less than nine hundred thousand dollars.

I found out later that this sorry tale had an even sorrier twist (and I don’t mean the non-payment of royalties… that of course was a given). Turns out the guys had initially been asked to develop an E3 demo for South Park Rally as an early deliverable in the contract. No problem there, only they then discovered that another studio had also been contracted to develop the exact same game. Acclaim simply picked the demo they liked best, showed it at E3, and terminated their deal with the other group. A class act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't like the respawning enemies though. Well I guess I do because it makes you want to finish the level faster so you don't run out of ammo on respawning enemies, but the levels are huge and don't make a lot of sense to navigate all the time.

• Locked thread