Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

HAmbONE posted:

I couldn't imagine how terrible it would be to moderate SA or even worse, popular sites for minors. The poo poo they must deal with.

Not too long ago, as part of the ongoing change of Neopets content from Viacom to Jumpstart, and as a result of the fact that the underlying code of the site is from the 90s and no staff members are still employed who have familiarity with the old code, the word filter broke on Neopets and users were openly able to swear. Jumpstart didn't get involved for an entire day, and I don't think anyone was actually ever punished for breaking the rules. As soon as the mod tools went down and kids realized they could swear in yet another place on the Internet, it was harder to find users who WEREN'T breaking the rules.

So I guess the lesson is that for these minor-heavy websites where swearing is forbidden, remember that anything you tell kids not to do is something they are going to do in excess when given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread