Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For a second I thought this thread was called Power Metal Mads and was thinking it was about Mads Mikkelson's metal band. Idris Elba plays drums.

Anyways, way back in the late 90s, early 2000s I used to post on a forum about weird stuff. Mostly i stuck to the stuff about pictures and videos and such, trying to avoid the sections about conspiracies and stuff because those were so full of white supremacists and neo nazis it wasn't funny (like today!). Some stuff was really freaky and weird. Like what the hell is that? that totally looks like a somewhat humanoid shape, maybe its a ghost! Oh that UFO looks kinda real!

Anyways, there was a person there that would post really poorly edited pictures of ghosts and aliens, or post screen shots from tv shows and movies and claimed they were LEAKED AIR FORCE FOOTAGE! or STOLEN AREA 51 IMAGES! When they were clearly a blurry picture of a paused frame from Star Trek or the X-files. Many other people also complained about his obvious fakes, but this guy was relentless. He knew the site admin so he was allowed to keep doing it. He would also go into other peoples threads and spam his images, call other peoples images fakes and so on. For some reason, he was made a site mod and proceeded to ban every single person on the forum that had ever criticized him. The funny thing is he did it manually, going through every thread on the forum and banning people for stuff from years ago. It was nuts. Lucky my posts were pretty infrequent, so it took a while for me to get banned, but seeing people banned slowly was insane.

There was a mod in a warhammer forum that when 3rd edition of 40k was released, he banned everyone who liked it, because the new rules made it impossible for him to win games because he had built his army around a super cheesy combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

glitchkrieg posted:

Don't suppose you remember what that combo was? I've not played 40K since 2E so stories like that are the only way I can relate to that game now :v:

If i remember correctly, it had something to do with taking scout squads as your core, and the rest on tech marines with jump packs kitted out a certain way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Back in the 90s, Warhammer 40,000 had a race of space dwarves called "Squats" who were phased out at some point.

For some reason, the mods on the official Games Workshop forums made a blanket ban on any talk of Squats whatsoever. This ban persisted for over a decade -- any post that so much as asked about space dwarves would get the entire thread locked, and the offending poster banned. The ban stayed in place until the forums were shut down in the late 2000s, but it was diligently enforced for their entire lifespan.

To be fair, squats were dumb and should be buried and never talked about again.

I feel like it was gamespot, but there was a video game site where if you said anything bad about Nintendo (even as simple as "i am not interested in their games) you'd get banned by a mod who was obsessed and very salty that Nintendo was in some ways second fiddle to playstation at the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe because the pomegranate was the personal symbol of Henry VIII it triggers people with a fear of marrying a king and being beheaded, every think about that????

• Locked thread