Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
yeah I did that already

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah I did that already

I'm just really feeling the holiday spirit.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hail Seitan.

Mock duck is loving delicious in thai curry.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Enfield posted:

the thing is, no one can say what happens after you die because when you die theres no way to communicate. lets get some takeout and suck each other off

There is no such thing as after you die, the same as there is no such thing as before you were born. I mean, there is for other people sure, but not for you.

That does not mean you can't live forever though, because your perception of time is not bound to the linear passage of time in the Universe. Your first moment lasted forever, but you were a fetus and you forgot it, that is why it feels like you have "always" been. Your final moment may or may not also last for ever, for you, depending on whether or not you are conscious for it. If you are conscious for it, your frame of mind as you enter that eternity determines whether you won or lost at life.

edit:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm just really feeling the holiday spirit.
ftfy

monkey fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 22, 2015

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

monkey posted:

There is no such thing as after you die, the same as there is no such thing as before you were born. I mean, there is for other people sure, but not for you.

That does not mean you can't live forever though, because your perception of time is not bound to the linear passage of time in the Universe. Your first moment lasted forever, but you were a fetus and you forgot it, that is why it feels like you have "always" been. Your final moment may or may not also last for ever, for you, depending on whether or not you are conscious for it. If you are conscious for it, your frame of mind as you enter that eternity determines whether you won or lost at life.

Dude do you know where I can score some DMT?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Luxury Communism posted:

Dude do you know where I can score some DMT?

no but hook me up if you find any

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
"Shop as usual, and avoid panic buying."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EseXUufowr8

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

why isn't a militant christian shown? and why is only one, nameless militant muslim shown? I'm pretty drat sure I could come up with ten examples of real people to represent militant islam and militant christianity without much difficulty.

and who is that guy on the top far right? is that carl sagan? he never even identified as an atheist, even though he was one, and he wasn't a "militant" anything. neither was karl marx. that can't be sagan, right? it looks a fair bit different from any pictures I've ever seen but then I've never seen any pictures of him old and all white people look the same.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

and who is that guy on the top far right? is that carl sagan? he never even identified as an atheist, even though he was one, and he wasn't a "militant" anything. neither was karl marx. that can't be sagan, right? it looks a fair bit different from any pictures I've ever seen but then I've never seen any pictures of him old and all white people look the same.

That would be Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha. Also Marx explicitly rejected religion and considered it retrograde so idk what you're on about

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

That would be Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha. Also Marx explicitly rejected religion and considered it retrograde so idk what you're on about

what I'm on about is the fact that Marx was an author and an economist. he wasn't a militant anything. also ty for answering my question. well, one of them, at least.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

OctoberBlues posted:

If I take DMT can I please believe in god?

yes, but he'll be a jet black constantly shifting non euclidean polygon who communicates in foghorn noises. if you're down with that load yourself up a breakthrough dose and go hog wild.

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
Apart from a super devout Hasidic Jewish sect, I couldn't find a religion throughout all of history that didn't believe in an afterlife of some kind.

I don't deny the possibility of consciousness existing beyond the physical self. I'm content with dying and ceasing to exist, so I don't feel the need to believe that something will happen after I die.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

what I'm on about is the fact that Marx was an author and an economist. he wasn't a militant anything. also ty for answering my question. well, one of them, at least.

The Christian apologist who made the pic probably thought; if a guy incites others to do things that are bad, and other people do it as per his wishes, then the guy probably shares some of the blame, so he put Marx (scary ideology guy) in there for good measure

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The only person worse than old testament god is christopher loving hitchens.

Read a book he wrote the introduction to and it was like something straight off or r/atheism.

"...but some people with their so-called sky god heh heh..." level stuff.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
looks like he was hitchen a ride to hell

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

czarmonger posted:

I don't deny the possibility of consciousness existing beyond the physical self.

why not?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

czarmonger posted:

Apart from a super devout Hasidic Jewish sect, I couldn't find a religion throughout all of history that didn't believe in an afterlife of some kind.

I don't deny the possibility of consciousness existing beyond the physical self. I'm content with dying and ceasing to exist, so I don't feel the need to believe that something will happen after I die.

which acetic sect and also lol.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

my god is a loving god

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
In this momen I am euphoric.. not becaus of any phony go'ds bless,ing, but because I just injected 4mg of hydromorphone into my bloodstream. :D

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

czarmonger posted:

you didn't understand much of what you looked into

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Weed does all the stuff god is supposed to do and it works and is easier to believe in because it exists. Hail Satan.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
People who believe in god are mentally ill.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
The interesting question, however, is: what various things have consciousness?

Considering that human beings are just conscious machines, which other entities have consciousness? Obviously other smart mammals have it, but what about insects? They seem quite rigid, but I wouldn't rule them out at all. I wouldn't rule out computers either.

What I'm saying is that we feel like we think. Our thoughts control our actions. Just like we "want" to remove our hand from a hot stove, so does a computer "want" to do instructions in a sequential order.

Are stars conscious?

Do stars communicate?

Is the whole universe one big consciousness?

Makes u think.

PS: I've thought about these things even before I tried acid.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

People who believe in god are mentally ill.

well yeah but we're being ironic itt

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

New Tails Gets Trolled is looking good.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

New Tails Gets Trolled is looking good.

yes sir tails an friends have found the love of jesus

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Hahahahhahahahahah sweet jesus

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

satan is really good. even if he's not real thats ok because he doesnt make any magical promises and he doesnt want you to pray to him. he just wants you to follow your dreams and live life to the fullest :)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

merry CHRISTmas yall

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

Does this translate to BEHEAD INFIDELS AND RAPE THEIR WOMEN AND BLOW YOURSELF UP

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Tony Homo posted:

Does this translate to BEHEAD INFIDELS AND RAPE THEIR WOMEN AND BLOW YOURSELF UP

be calm, friend

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

The Goatfather posted:

satan is really good. even if he's not real thats ok because he doesnt make any magical promises and he doesnt want you to pray to him. he just wants you to follow your dreams and live life to the fullest :)

Seriously, I can't believe how people chose god over satan after reading the bible.

One is a murderous egomaniac who does not actually know mercy despite talking about it all the time, one just has a live and let live attitude.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hail storm

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't really grow up in a religious family; and the only times I ever went to church is when my dad was banging a catholic woman, but all the pomp and fear instilled into children from it kind of seems like child abuse from an outside perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

come on goons -- christ has powers just like in your animes!!

• Locked thread