Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Little Awful Jam 2016
http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016

:siren:PLAY THE GAMES NOW. http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE RIGHT NOW, VOTING ENDS WEDNESDAY AT MIDNIGHT CST: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aCxYWZQSJ_ZALVCIa2G6cjBBpCp3K_fAShSLQ7j1KwU/viewform:siren:

Dates: January 8th - 22nd

Follow @awfuljams on twitter for updates on the jam, we promise we don't post about anything other than important info and dates.

Join us in the SAGameDev Slack and chat with us! slack.sagamedev.net

After last summer’s SAGDC many of you floated the idea of having a smaller, shorter jam around winter time. Well we all thought that was a great idea, so I’m pumped to announce the 2016 Little Awful Jam, a two week long themed game jam starting January 8th and ending on the 22nd.

Theme

Your theme is CHILL

Submission

Just as with SAGDC X and Octo-Jam II, we’ll be using AwfulJams website to take game submissions. Your team leader is in charge of creating an account and maintaining the team page as well as the game page.

As before, all submissions are final. Once you upload your game there is no going back, even if you upload before the deadline. Be sure to test your game on a clean machine before uploading, and include any required redistributables in your upload zip.

Keep in mind if you’d like the public to play your game, you’ll need to host it yourself and place a link on your game page.

Wall of Shame

Rumbling below is the shambling horror we have given no name. Upon a peak of broken dreams it sits, a tribute to failure. The Wall of Shame.

If you fail to submit your game before the deadline, or break one of the rules, you too will find your shame on display for all to see.

But if you thought that was all you'd be sadly mistaken. Shame will follow you, and only redemption can clear your name in future jams. You’ll find out come summer.

Judging

Your judges are:
  • SharpenedSpoon
  • Everdraed
  • Tann
  • InternetJanitor
  • Poemdexter

This is how judging will go down:
  • Submitted games will be split evenly between all judges
  • Judges will rate the games on a scale from 1 to 5.
  • Judges will provide a few paragraphs of critique and reflection.
  • Each judge will pick 2-3 “top picks” from their batch.
  • All judges will then play the cumulative “top picks”.
  • Everyone will gather together and pick the winners for each category. This deliberation process will be live streamed in its entirety.

Categories
Note: All physical prizes are -US ONLY-

Game of the Jam
Overall best entry.
Prize: Box of Merch.

Best Use of Theme
For the entry which implements the theme in the most creative or unexpected manner.
Prize: Goon-Made Game Pack (Steam)

Most Fun
The game we found to be most enjoyable to play.

Best Narrative
Wow us with your stunning prose / voice acting / general storytelling.

Community Choice
Community chooses their favorite from the top 10.
Prize: 50% of the AwfulJams tip jar accumulated during the jam

[SPONSORED CATEGORIES COMING SOON]

HOW TO SUBMIT FOR JUDGING
  • Have your team leader make an account on https://www.awfuljams.com
  • Create a team page
  • Create a game page
  • When you’re absolutely 100% fully and totally finished with your game submit it as a .zip file that contains executables for every platform you support. Be sure to mark the platforms you support before you submit.
  • Be sure to include a public link to your game on your game page so everyone can play it!
    You only get one shot at this, there are no do-overs. Test your game beforehand.

NOTE: You must host your game for public play yourself. You are free to update those builds all you want, even after the jam deadline has passed.

Rules:
  • Don’t be an rear end in a top hat.
  • If you are using code you or your teammates have written in the past (frameworks, old games, etc) you need to open source all code for that project and announce it in a post.
  • Anything from asset stores are fair game, but you must list each asset you are using on your game page.
  • Avoid using copyrighted content you do not own the license too.
  • Try to keep your team size below 5 people.
  • All submissions must have original content pertaining to the theme. DO NOT FOLLOW A FLAPPY BIRD TUTORIAL AND SUBMIT IT TO AVOID THE WALL OF SHAME.
  • Do not create multiple accounts on AwfulJams. If you've made an account in the past, use that account.
  • Go hogwild.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Reserved

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I'm pretty hyped for this! Looking forward to another jam - I made Zero Grab Kitty in around two weeks for the last SAGDC, so hopefully I can pump out something similar in quality!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Awww yeah it's jam time. I am totally down to do some sound design for this. Probably not for three teams this time, though I'd be happy to do two teams if people need the beeps and the boops.

Edit: if we're pimping SAGDX entries, I did sound design for Burger Game, Go Fish, and Echo, which got 2nd place in Best Audio. PM me or find me in IRC if you want to work together! Cuz jeebus knows I can't do a game solo with my art skills.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 22, 2015

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm down. Also more people need to be in on this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I actually managaed to solo a jam this year in less time. So I'm confident I can solo this one.

Unless I get sick!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ahhh we just made a game for the Steamgoon Holiday Contest. No idea if I can get the guys to jump into another jam this soon but maybe!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sup bitches, it's Team Dogpit here. I'm talkin' bout that Little Awful Jam. We are SO in.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Also, I didn't mention this in the OP but this jam is 100% ~public~ so tell your friends!

The wall of shame is doesn't discriminate :getin:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'd like to do this. It'd be a good way to practice what I've learned in UE4. Anyone want to make a team or whatever? PM me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
edit-- wtf why did the post button not work the first time and trick me into double posting the same thing twice

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
H*ck yes I'm taking part in this jam.

Are we allowed to leave bounties for this jam? Aw who cares I'm just gonna make some anyway:

• I have "GameMaker: Studio Pro" with a "GM:S Android Export Module" from a Humble Bundle that I haven't used. I hope that gifting this isn't a huge pain in the butt and if not then I guess it's up for grabs for Best Game Made With Game Maker Studio
  • THREE copies of "The Magpie Collection" up for grabs for the Three most ARTY games. Is your game one of those "walky simulators" or "Screensaver with no interactivity"? Then chances are you're in for a chance!
  • A copy of The Stanley Parable for the game that makes me laugh the most. You can do this by having jokes, having goofy mechanics that does silly things, or having a broken game that I just find funny.
  • A copy of "Putt-Putt® Goes to the Moon" for the game that I suspect was probably submitted just to avoid the wall of shame. Sure you could just follow a flappy bird tutorial and submit that, but  at  what  cost?
  • A copy of Broken Age for the Ouya for Worst Game That Makes Me Have To Download Firefox To Play It Cause Chrome And Microsoft Edge Won't Run WebUnity Games
  • a Humble Indie Bundle #2 Steam Key (which includes Braid (in honour of Jonathan Blow)) for the best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time (Doesn't have to be a piss jar).
  • I have a key for some dejoban games or something for whoever can figure out how to get further in Kesha was Bird because holy gently caress am I tired of trying every loving combination to get the thing to continue (I'm at where everyone else is stuck at if anyone's wondering)

---

Edit: to add to what Xibanya just said, my team description (http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-afal) looks different when I'm logged in to when I'm not (logged out shows SAGDC X description, logged in and looking at my own profile shows newer description). Links to previous games are shown for each profiles (unless you're logged in and looking at your own profile).

Afal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 23, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Curious about the website. Here's my team's page (accessed via Little Awful Jam section): http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-dogpit

Note lack of link to Slam Fighter II.

Here's Afal's page (accessed via Little Awful Jam section): http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-afal

Note link to An Video Game.

I also edited the page for Slam Fighter II and now don't have a review. What's up with that? http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/slam-fighter-ii

BY THE WAY, goony people, Slam Fighter II has had an update about once a month since SAGDCX and now looks and plays a lot better, so everybody should go get the latest version right this second: http://slamfighter.com/download

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
Out of curiosity, what's the verdict on having a team with non-goon members? Not a necessity for me at all, but I figured I'd ask in case some friends of mine from class would like to participate on my team, if I create one.

Schnugaf fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 23, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Curious about the website. Here's my team's page (accessed via Little Awful Jam section): http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-dogpit

Thanks for letting us know. Top men are on the case. TOP MEN.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Schnugaf posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the verdict on having a team with non-goon members? Not a necessity for me at all, but I figured I'd ask in case some friends of mine from class would like to participate on my team, if I create one.

Pretty sure it's all good considering a few jams ago my friend was the music composer for our game for Cthulu teaches Culting and he is a non goon.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Edit: to add to what Xibanya just said, my team description (http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-afal) looks different when I'm logged in to when I'm not (logged out shows SAGDC X description, logged in and looking at my own profile shows newer description). Links to previous games are shown for each profiles (unless you're logged in and looking at your own profile).

So yep getting some funkiness on the site.

STEPS I TOOK TO SEE FUNKINESS
Browser: Chrome (latest), Firefox (latest)

• Start new browser session
  • Go to http://www.awfuljams.com
  • Go to SAGDCX > Teams
  • Click the Edit button under Team Dogpit's logo

• Expected that the existing markup from last edit loads in editor - actually this is what I see:

• If I try to save the page in Chrome, the page crashes. If I try to save the page in Firefox, the page crashes and I also get this:

Actually clicking my team in the SAGDCX section while I'm logged in goes to the page I most recently saved for Little Awful Jam (this is also the page that loads when I click my team in the Little Awful Jam section):

But if I log out, this always loads for my team page

If I click the Edit button while actually on the team page, the editor looks like this:

and submitting changes gets me a postback pretty quickly.

Schnugaf posted:

JonTerp posted:

Also, I didn't mention this in the OP but this jam is 100% ~public~ so tell your friends!

The wall of shame is doesn't discriminate :getin:

So yep.

JonTerp posted:

Thanks for letting us know. Top men are on the case. TOP MEN.

Dangit you beat me before I could finish my beautiful bugs. Well let them stand (half-finished) for posterity!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Schnugaf posted:

Our composers for Burger Game and Go Fish were both non-goons. And this is a public jam anyway, so there will potentially be plenty of non goons.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Afal posted:

H*ck yes I'm taking part in this jam.

Are we allowed to leave bounties for this jam? Aw who cares I'm just gonna make some anyway:

• I have "GameMaker: Studio Pro" with a "GM:S Android Export Module" from a Humble Bundle that I haven't used. I hope that gifting this isn't a huge pain in the butt and if not then I guess it's up for grabs for Best Game Made With Game Maker Studio
  • THREE copies of "The Magpie Collection" up for grabs for the Three most ARTY games. Is your game one of those "walky simulators" or "Screensaver with no interactivity"? Then chances are you're in for a chance!
  • A copy of The Stanley Parable for the game that makes me laugh the most. You can do this by having jokes, having goofy mechanics that does silly things, or having a broken game that I just find funny.
  • A copy of "Putt-Putt® Goes to the Moon" for the game that I suspect was probably submitted just to avoid the wall of shame. Sure you could just follow a flappy bird tutorial and submit that, but  at  what  cost?

---

Tempted to learn Gamemaker and make a fantastically awesome game just for that first bounty, since HB kinda screwed me out of it when I tried to buy it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Looking forward to this one. During the summer jam, I made Slide, Crash, Bounce, which was pretty good but really sticks out for me as something that was *almost* Very Good. This time I'll probably do something which relies a lot less on third-party assets but tbh I don't know how that's going to work in the shorter timeframe. My art experience so far can really just be described as "loving around".

Also there's somebody who offered me a bounty for a game tool of my choice from last time, which I never actually followed up on because I couldn't find a tool I actually wanted. Whoops. We can probably just forget about that now, especially since whenever I tried to find a tool, I just ended up loving around for a few weeks with the demo not sure if I actually liked it or not. And in most cases there was a free version that just suited my needs just fine, anyway. v:shobon:v

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Schnugaf posted:

i was non goon in the team punch fight and was so impressed on coding magic blastron and protocol 7 did that i decidet to spent :10bux: and registered on this forum (had lurked the forum for several years)
So i would say its advantageous for lowtax to have non goons participate.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Gonna try do a lil thing in Unity I think. I hope the theme is Chill

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Question about this rule:

JonTerp posted:

[*]All submissions must have original content pertaining to the theme. DO NOT FOLLOW A FLAPPY BIRD TUTORIAL AND SUBMIT IT TO AVOID THE WALL OF SHAME.

Does this mean that whatever I make needs to be an original game concept? Meaning, I'm not allowed to take someone else's concept and try to make a lovely version of it? Or does it mean that I'm just not allowed to use other peoples' content in general.

Because one idea I had was to try and make a lovely version of an old Newgrounds Flash game that I liked a lot.

My understanding is that Game Jams are supposed to be for practicing making games so you get better at it, which would imply the idea I mentioned would be okay... but I'm not sure because I might be misinterpreting the rule.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Question about this rule:

Does this mean that whatever I make needs to be an original game concept? Meaning, I'm not allowed to take someone else's concept and try to make a lovely version of it? Or does it mean that I'm just not allowed to use other peoples' content in general.

Because one idea I had was to try and make a lovely version of an old Newgrounds Flash game that I liked a lot.

My understanding is that Game Jams are supposed to be for practicing making games so you get better at it, which would imply the idea I mentioned would be okay... but I'm not sure because I might be misinterpreting the rule.

No it literally means do not submit a game that is just you following a tutorial series to create a clone of a game and submit that.

We had someone last year just submit the result of a Flappy Bird clone tutorial. That's it, nothing for the theme, nothing for anything. It was just color by numbers.

If you have ANY original content in your game, anything on theme, you are good.

http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/something-flappy

Calipark fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a wall of shame stamping on a flappy bird - forever.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
I'm thinking that the short, sweet, and to the point theme is the weakest of the three. It's a good design principle to keep in mind for a short contest like this but I feel like it's also a bit redundant, and I can't easily think of an interpretation for a visual or narrative theme for it. Trivialize and chill both seem good and fun to work with, and chill is appropriate for the season too

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Was wondering when this was going to happen. If anyone is looking for a Unity programmer then feel free to get in touch. I worked on Unarmed for the Summer game jam.

Would really be down to try a shorter jam since I'm great at digging myself into a hole when I have enough time to feel comfortable and I can't attend Global Game Jam this year due to travel anyways.

Short, Sweet, and to the Point actually sounds kind of neat personally, the first thing that comes to mind is some kind of Nidhogg like stabbing game.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 25, 2015

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Neat! I did the pixel art for Impulse, the community choice winner last time around. If anyone needs art of the same style/quality, I'd be down! I'm certainly no pro, but I'll get your stuff done on time!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm in again! Going solo again this time so I don't pull someone else down if I get busy or slack on details. I really wanna try a different engine like PlayCanvas to MMF2.5 but we'll see. Zero Jump Kitty was a Fusion game so I am obviously not unlocking it's full potential. There are just a ton of things that are counter intuitive now that I know programming.

Super stoked to participate again!

Can I make a suggestion though? Last time I had Everdraed and I thought he was a good judge, in that gave a fair amount constructive feedback. But I felt disappointed reading some other judges feedback (for different games), as some weren't very thorough. If someone spends an month making a even lovely game, a thoughtful review seems pretty baseline for a Judge. Can we implement some standard Good:Bad:Verdict format for reviews, so that even bad games can get some better feedback? Obviously great games can have a much longer verdict or just more commentary.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Turtle Turtle Studios (aka me) is most definitely getting in on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynmkN88WDw

As far as themes I like Short, Sweet & To The Point. Maybe something like the minigames in WarioWare, which gives people the option to experiment with something goofy like physics manipulation or motion controls or the like and not worry overmuch on a long game length.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 26, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Aw yis. Team Not Actually a Team, consisting of me and a questionable amount of coffee, is totes down. It's time to make another terrible game and learn some new stuff in the process.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm. Maybe.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211&pagenumber=89#post454262905

I sometimes use Unity + 2d Toolkit. A bit of Java + libgdx. C, SDL.
Lua. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYy4LnO-uw
Whatever.

I am probably slightly better at programming than art or game ideas, but I guess I can help with anything.
Would give me a break from working on this thing.

Maybe could join a pick-up team depending on interest and help out however possible. Hmm. Seems like more people = better than. I've sorta been wanting to try something with a team of more than just I.

Edit: More from the unfinished stack of unfinished things. Someone else redrew the character sprite for me to actually be good, the rest is mine. But the project was a bit further along in some ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3Ki5dRd9k

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 27, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'll try I guess it can't hurt to try.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I'm gonna try and it will totally hurt.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Picked up a Gear VR recently so I'm interested in trying out making something for it. I'm guessing judging might be kind of difficult?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

That Gobbo posted:

Picked up a Gear VR recently so I'm interested in trying out making something for it. I'm guessing judging might be kind of difficult?

It will make judging your game impossible, I'd recommend against it.

We might have VR specific jams in the future though!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

That Gobbo posted:

Our past two submissions had VR support, but I'm pretty sure nobody actually tried either. We did it as something for ourselves to enjoy, but I wouldn't recommend it as something you want your game to be judged on.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I did a game jam recently with a 7 person team and it was actually really fun. In that spirit I would love to team up with people and make a super team. Here are some games I've worked on:

Obj C + SceneKit for 3d iOS or Mac OS
JavaScript/ canvas things
Unity 2d/3d
  • Me, another programmer, 4 artists, 1 manager - (Facebook video sorry) Shaken for Indie Game Weekend 2015 (second place!)
  • Me and a designer - Hagwon Adventure for Global Game Jam 2015

Let me know if you want to team up! I am also super down for cranking out horrible programmer art (eg. sweater wearing satan laser horse).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Short, Sweet & to the Point. Trivialize seems cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
:frogsiren: a wild prize appears! :frogsiren:

I'm gonna paint a picture of the game I like the most from this jam and mail it to you!

details:
1. Acrylic on canvas, probably 8"x10" but maybe larger, I dunno.
2. 100% guaranteed to ship if you're in the US. If you're out of the country, I'll take a look at shipping and we'll arrange something (maybe steam gift if too expensive).
3. If you're a team, you'll have to decide who gets it unless we work something out and do a few smaller paintings so everyone gets something.
4. I'm an OK painter. My last painting was this.

Good luck!

• Locked thread