Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Giggs posted:

I wrote a post-mortem for my game KIP-PL3 here where I talk about how the various aspects didn't end up coming together for my game in the ways I was hoping. I might add a bit more tonight when I get home.

I have some spoilers I would like to add to our page and I'm really digging the collapsible area you use for this. Would you mind cluing me in on the markdown necessary to have a collapsible box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Atoramos posted:

I have some spoilers I would like to add to our page and I'm really digging the collapsible area you use for this. Would you mind cluing me in on the markdown necessary to have a collapsible box?

It isn't a markdown thing; they're using the post mortem part of the edit form, which becomes available a while after the jam ends. You should have access to it when you edit your game page.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mastigophoran posted:

It isn't a markdown thing; they're using the post mortem part of the edit form, which becomes available a while after the jam ends. You should have access to it when you edit your game page.

Oh awesome, I had no idea that's how it worked.

Chill Out now has a Post Mortem with spoilers on the game if anyone hasn't figured things out by now

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Atoramos posted:

Oh awesome, I had no idea that's how it worked.

Chill Out now has a Post Mortem with spoilers on the game if anyone hasn't figured things out by now

I didn't know either for Octojam II and was quite surprised when I saw it since it seemed like everyone was talking about it like obviously it was a thing. But yeah it's pretty cool! I'll go have a read of your post mortem now!

edit just wanted to let you know I read it and that it was indeed interesting! I also got stuck on the laptop, but, I knew about the drag mechanic that people missed from having read the thread. I actually just straight up didn't realise what it was. It was so thin I thought it was just like a mat or something, I don't even know.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 4, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mastigophoran posted:

I didn't know either for Octojam II and was quite surprised when I saw it since it seemed like everyone was talking about it like obviously it was a thing. But yeah it's pretty cool! I'll go have a read of your post mortem now!

edit just wanted to let you know I read it and that it was indeed interesting! I also got stuck on the laptop, but, I knew about the drag mechanic that people missed from having read the thread. I actually just straight up didn't realise what it was. It was so thin I thought it was just like a mat or something, I don't even know.

I added a bit to the end of the post mortem about the story we were aiming for. You're not the only one who missed the laptop. Doing this again, I would start with the laptop open, showing the Windows screen from the start, and the cat videos would be a hidden feature if players closed and opened the laptop. The work I did making a 'generic' laptop also made it difficult to tell just what the hell it was.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Gong Show going live very soon!

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I've been away for a few days so I'm glad that more time has been added for judging so I can play the rest of the list. There's too many games to look at. Why are there too many games

#Everest - First time I played I was 65% up the mountain until I realised I could have put a lot more items in other character's backpacks. Would have been cool to put the first dragon dildo on everest. I thought the score multiplier was "[number of stupid bullshit in picutre] * [everest height climbed]" so naturally I thought I'd max my score by sending a team with backpacks full of dragon dildos to the top. I still haven't been able to do this.
A Moderate And Reasonable Sloth - Got bored at level 3 because I didn't know what to do. With some polished up controls this could be the Hot New Wacky Video Game For Youtubers. Apparently there was music in the gong show but I didn't hear any when I was playing
Cardinal Die-rection - I can barely see the bullets and the bullets are not really effective and I'm p sure there's no way of beating the 3 giant penguins
Beach Maygpis - Oh good thank goodness the rhythm heaven bit was optional. Nice little game.
Chill Day - "Move with arrow keys. Examine things with enter" why do people do this. *exported in game maker with installer rather than sans-installer* this is what I get for having a game maker bounty
KIP-PL3 - This game is an endurance run. I keep dying regardless of how on top I keep the little micromanaging there is (all 2 of them). I'm probably just bad at video games
Cool Your Balls In Space 3D - Somewhat reminded of ballpuppy when playing this and I never stopped saying "BALL PUPPY" all the way through playing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHJNTESGPo
Llama goes to Market - Holy moly idk about anyone else but was it too easy to get a negative haggling price? Didn't matter because this game was pretty chill. Hilarious Gong Show easter egg

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I haven't had much free time to play the games but watching what I could of day 1 of the Gong Show was a good time. So many cool looking games. I even stopped watching for short periods to check a couple out and was super pleased.

I was really excited to get more feedback on my game until Jon mentioned it was next and then I got anxious and closed the browser and left the room.
Can't wait to watch the archive of that part tomorrow!

Afal posted:

KIP-PL3 - This game is an endurance run. I keep dying regardless of how on top I keep the little micromanaging there is (all 2 of them).

Thanks for giving it a go! I'll have to check the submitted build to see if I accidentally made it harder than it was earlier in development, which may easily have happened without me noticing. I was hoping that the mechanics would be just easy enough to manage while you zone out and listen to a robot-voice tell you a story.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
The gong show was really entertaining - it's always way more valuable to get to see someone play through your game without having to show it to them yourself. I wish we had time to add more to the game and could do more to make it more interesting when you deal with the fire spreading yet I'm still very happy with how the final game turned out. Thanks to MShadowy and JossiRossi for the awesome art and sound work too.

Also I open sourced my code on Github, I know I have several major things wrong with it (particularly how objects interact with one another) but I'd love to hear anyone else's feedback on what I could stand to improve. https://github.com/jthomas252/SAGameJam_2016

Also, for the hell of it here's an Android APK of the game, you can't move freely and it probably won't play well on a phone but it did at least run on my old as hell Galaxy Nexus! https://www.dropbox.com/s/df9bkj02a3udzva/chillax.apk?dl=0

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Giggs posted:

I was really excited to get more feedback on my game until Jon mentioned it was next and then I got anxious and closed the browser and left the room.
Can't wait to watch the archive of that part tomorrow!

Yeah we kinda almost did the same thing. Given that we stuck with watching it, we were a bit terrified when things didn't start out well for us, what with the volume control being hidden by a weird giant bugged icon that Processing appears to be responsible for;

(why is this even a thing that can happen??)
Followed by falling back to the web build, and having its audio not working right (even though Jon was using Chrome), which resulted in most of the music not playing. At least the bat screech still played. Otherwise, I did a lot of pacing around while deciding that my husband had been right about every thing.

I'd like to repeat a thank you though - a lot of people in the IRC and twitch chat offered a lot of support, especially in asking that Joe be played through to show the ending(s), and I'm really thankful for that support because, without it, the game would have fallen a lot flatter and the whole take on the 'chill' theme would have been completely missed. Some game types really just don't work for the gong show, and we were on the edge of being one of them, so, I'm glad we got to show it to people.

If you're a random thread person reading this after seeing the gong show, I would definitely check out Chilly Birds and KIP-PL3 for yourselves if you haven't already - those games work much better outside the gong show format, and I enjoyed both of their stories a lot.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Gong Show Day 2 starting now.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Heya, so, as you heard on stream, my husband and I figured out the code for Kesha was bird:

The puzzle: eight plus five star three
Hint #1: It's not a math equation.
Hint #2: Try: "8" + "5" * 3
Hint #3: "What?" * 2 = "What? What?"
Solution: 8 5 5 5

The next step 'road block' you'll hit is a trial and error puzzle, not another mystery number to find in the game like this, it seems.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 7, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mastigophoran posted:

Heya, so, as you heard on stream, my husband and I figured out the code for Kesha was bird:

The puzzle: eight plus five star three
Hint #1: It's not a math equation.
Hint #2: Try: "8" + "5" * 3
Hint #3: "What?" * 2 = "What? What?"
Solution: 8 5 5 5

The next step 'road block' you'll hit is a trial and error puzzle, not another mystery number to find in the game like this, it seems.

:doh:

Thanks for the hint, now I got it.

The trial and error after that puzzle leads to some great stuff.

e: Just gonna delete my spoiler, go play it. :3:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 7, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Unfortunately I missed most of the gong show -- including the first part of when #Everest was being played. How soon will it be on youtube?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Unfortunately I missed most of the gong show -- including the first part of when #Everest was being played. How soon will it be on youtube?

Early next week.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Xibanya posted:

You can watch the archive on twitch for day 1 of the gong show at least at: http://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/40927605

I find twitch super slow to load, but my internet is poo poo.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 7, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

JonTerp posted:

Gong Show Day 2 starting now.

:3: You guys are the best. I totally dig your review of Chill Robot and completely agree with most of the assessment. I really wanted to include some more inactive stuff and maybe dialogue, but I just didn't have the time.

I'm also really glad you got the pron reference.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Just watched the archive'd gong show for my flappy birds clone, chilly birds AKA the chill pill, a completely text based game.

Yeah, its a shame that text game's don't translate well to video play throughs. I'm kind of glad that you leaped through it on the show, it doesn't spoiler the game, while properly spoiling the fact that the game isn't actually a flappy birds clone.

Thanks for the kind words on the gong show and on the forums everyone. This is basically the first proper thing I've written, hell, the first game I've published, and the first thing anyone has read that isn't a member of my immediate family. It's really motivating and rewarding to see people liked it :)

Chilly Bird's post mortem: http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/chilly-birds

Now that I've got some free time I should start playing some more of these here games.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Some micro reviews:

KIP-PL3.

I super enjoyed it. The maintenance mechanics meshed well with the plot, it was grueling to maintain the green bar, which helped convey exactly how poo poo this space rock is.

the voice being an android voice at first I thought was just a sign that you couldn't find a voice actor, but after the reveal I realized it was incredibly appropriate.

Unfortunately about two thirds of the way through the audio looped back to the beginning, played the first four minutes of the log, and then when the bar reached the edge of the screen, the game crashed with an error message. I played the pure audio afterwards and I had already got the whole plot, so that's fine, but strange bug! Oh well, still a drat good game, good job :)

Lee the chill chinchilla

This game made me laugh alot. It's short and fun.

Destroy or save anime? was to funny

I didn't realize you could get away with touching the tops of the chilli's in the first act until my second playthrough for MAXIMUM COMPLETION.

The View Down Cold Furgin

This genre of game isn't really my cup of tea, but it does exactly what it set out to do, graphics are nice, music is nice. I can't complain! :)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ended up playing a few more! Thought I'd be further along, but health, availability, and computer problems got in the way this week again. I think that's all the ones posted here, so next I'll probably attempt the Judge's Picks if they're available, and then randomly from the website. I don't expect to actually finish them all, so go ahead and leave a post if I didn't play yours and you want priority!

Rob Filter posted:

Just watched the archive'd gong show for my flappy birds clone, chilly birds AKA the chill pill, a completely text based game.

Yeah, its a shame that text game's don't translate well to video play throughs. I'm kind of glad that you leaped through it on the show, it doesn't spoiler the game, while properly spoiling the fact that the game isn't actually a flappy birds clone.

Thanks for the kind words on the gong show and on the forums everyone. This is basically the first proper thing I've written, hell, the first game I've published, and the first thing anyone has read that isn't a member of my immediate family. It's really motivating and rewarding to see people liked it :)

Chilly Bird's post mortem: http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/chilly-birds

Now that I've got some free time I should start playing some more of these here games.
Oh yeah, I remember one of the Gong Shows (last year?) where any text game got eviscerated in seconds pretty much. It's probably better now with the multiple judges, though I ended up skipping watching it because I wanted to experience them fresh myself. :ohdear:

Worth playing just for the pre-title screen, and then also for unlocking hard mode after that. I would have liked a bit more work on the controls (I kept getting knocked off-screen, which thankfully wasn't permanent, and it was rather hard to swim around. Maybe balance that with more propulsion from the gun or a limited aiming system?) and a bit less blocky look on the PC, but I had more fun with it than I had originally imagined I would! I thought the music was a pretty good fit, too, especially the industrial(?)-esque beat at the end.

Neat idea, I like the idea of a shooter with an ice power like that, and the physics system was a good idea too. I do think it needed some balancing (or maybe some way of knowing what was coming) as I found even after I got use to it I tended to play it more like a normal shooter and save up the energy weapons for the hard parts, rather than try any cool combo and hope for any power-ups. Maybe a hook or something to get more visceral use out of the ice system, or a clearer combo system?

It sounds like you know what went wayward with this one (it's not fun to force to be distracted and try to pay attention to something so story-driven! At least it was lenient [though there's no way to know/trust that as a fresh player, so they'd be doing it even more than you might realize and getting annoyed] and you included some way of knowing how long it would last). I enjoyed the painting effect and wanted to see more of it used, maybe in a different, more exploratory way! And then I got to the end and right before the log finished (which also has a glitch at the end?), the game crashed:eng99:.
code:
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event2
for object obj_distancePoint:

Unexisting room number: 5
at gml_Object_obj_distancePoint_Step_2
I still think it's really cool that you'd try something new, and I also enjoyed your Post Mortem! I, too, really liked Moon.

I really like the isometric 3D graphics there! The background could've been a bit more detailed but I understand it might've come off messy, I just wanted more of a doll house vibe to it. I liked the idea for a management game (maybe not the best for Chill but whatever, theme usually comes last in my mind unless I'm blown away), but I never really got like any difficulty out of it. I always had plenty of time to do everything and then just waited for the human to appear, and there never seemed to be any problems I had to deal with (even fire which only happened on a restart on the alarm). Also, I got a couple bugs, the first being that the menu/ending buttons became unclickable, and then a bigger one of the fire extinguisher disappearing completely (probably after I picked it up the first day?). Maybe there was a bit too much clicking and other slight annoyances with action queuing, but whatever. I wanted more out of it as it seemed like a lot of the groundwork was pretty solid!

Man, if this one doesn't get on RPS or one of those other sites with indie showcase articles it'll be a crime! Really strong narrative, interesting and creepy background (worth the name of "Awful Jam"), even some neat interactive (but non-invasive!) features built into in. It perhaps doesn't solve a lot of the problems that sort of Oregon Trail genre often has (inventory juggling problems, feedback problems, risk without being too random/skillful without being a spreadsheet simulator, etc.) but it's really hard to criticize it as a whole. In two tries I got just south of The Summit, but man did everyone go from fine to dead fast (I got the point is the high score, but I wanted to try to reach the top first):

Ah, you got me! Really nice job on the Papers, Please-like segments, though I think the first ring one needed more work and the breathing could've been explained better (also the stat part seemed to mess up eventually?). I did really well the second playthrough on the first part, but I couldn't seem to do anything different on the other jobs. I noticed there were different endings, though I only got the regular(?) and the Joker one. I tried another but it just quit, and then I couldn't get the warp to work right again afterwards for some reason!. Also really good job on the style and keeping the art "muddled" like that, it seemed to work on portraying a particularly raw atmosphere while being somewhat simple (I hope!). Another nice narrative one, and I look forward to reading about your horrible teeth surgeries/Post Mortem!

Oh man, bonus points for trying to recreate pinball like that! Sure it's buggy and hacky, and in 20 min or so I didn't even finish the one goal I could somewhat reliably (okay, arguably) trigger, but it's still probably more fun then a good portion of pinball games out there, most with months of development behind them. I love seeing these weird simulator jam game attempts, too!

Unrelated, but I wonder if there's any pinball jams out there (Visual Pinball's a thing, right?), or other engine-constrained jams that are any good.

Edit: Oh yeah, going to read the rest of the Post Mortems afterwards too. It's pretty humbling ("Wow, I'm an idiot..."), you should try it after judging a game!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2016

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Regarding regexes, try <.*?> instead, the ? Here means lazy, and just stops looking at the first match. It worked on regex101.com , a super cool website that you should check out. If it doesn't work, it may use a different lazy signifier that you can probably also find on that website.

Now, Having noted that, I need to go back and read the rest of your post mortem.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 7, 2016

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I really enjoyed the gong show, so many games! I wasn't able to watch the stream live due to timezone differences but i still couldn't help feeling anxious when my game came up, too.

Doom Goon posted:

Neat idea, I like the idea of a shooter with an ice power like that, and the physics system was a good idea too. I do think it needed some balancing (or maybe some way of knowing what was coming) as I found even after I got use to it I tended to play it more like a normal shooter and save up the energy weapons for the hard parts, rather than try any cool combo and hope for any power-ups. Maybe a hook or something to get more visceral use out of the ice system, or a clearer combo system?

Thanks for playing my game! They kinda touched upon the same points during the going show, and it mostly boils down to not having enough time. I wanted to punctuate the increasing difficulty of the enemy waves with a boss fight and chaining crashing enemies together is such an obvious fit for a combo system, but there was just no way i was going to get that working properly before the deadline. I'm actually rather surprised and happy people like the game mechanics as much as they do, because i didn't get to do any play-testing at all.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Ok the final batch of games I had to rush through because reasons:

Chateau de Feu - Neat puzzle platformer. Physics can be really clunky though
PUNCH FIGHT V:5 ICE TO MEET YOU - nice base in a hack and slash like fighter. Would be nice if there were prompts to indicate what buttons to reload or whatever but you know GAME JAM GAMES.
Chillax Inc - I am bad at these type of games especially when my screen isn't big enough to see the list of things I need to do
Average Joe - Sections go on for too long. Nice payoff at the end.
The View down Cold Firgun - Nice little screensaver thing. Weird music; is it Procedurally generated?
Chill Shoot - Public build missing. Saw on gong show that it was musically generated shooter. Looked nice
Chill Robot - Public version had a virus in it? Gong show showed it was a pretty nice looking game
The Chilling Pill - How do I get the space missions?
Keep Hell Hot - This gets hard quick. Also It was too easy for me to click outside the screen and gently caress
Kesha Was Bird - I have no idea how to finish this or what it has to do with chill
Gardening Grandmas 4: Chili Cook Off - Public build didn't work. Looked nice on gong show. Wondering what was the best chili combo
Polar Wars - I have never played skifree before. Why is the penguin going the opposite way of the arrow keys?
Couchill - Lads, me ma won't gizza me noms and guzz. I have no idea why I lost but ok.
WeWantToWatchAMovie - Multiplayer game. Gong show didn't elaborate on what this was. eh
Cool Down My Face - Nice simple game. Fire would be outside the face for some reason.
Heart Race - Nice ending payoff. Cool use of RPG Maker.

Ok so now it's time for me to look at my bounties and explain how I'm going to judge them:
  • For the gamemaker bounty, it's for those who have used the "non-professional" version of gamemaker. "Best" is determined on what the judges thought were the best. As far as I could tell the games that used gamemaker were KIP-PL3, Chill Day.. uh I need some help here. Penguin Panic is apparently gamemaker but I can't remember if gamemaker forces the splash screen and I didn't see one here (same with death is eternal).
  • I'm still deciding what are the three most arty games
  • Game that makes me laugh the most will either go to Llama goes to Market for the twitch integration or Polar Adventure for the twist ending. Whoever doesn't have The Stanley Parable and posts first will get it.
  • As much as I like forget chill's title screen it felt the most rushed of all the games I played so it wins "Putt-PuttŪ Goes to the Moon". Who did this so I can send the prize?
  • The games I had to switch to firefox to play them was Beach Maygpis and Cool Down My Face. Both were pretty decent and I can't decide which one to label as the "worst" so I'm going to check the judges scores for this one as well
  • No one (as far as I can tell) went for the "best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time (in honour of jon blow's piss jug)" bounty so uh... skip this one?
  • Despite that there's more to Kesha Was Bird that I can't get passed, Mastigophoran wins the bounty on how to get further in it. Congrats!

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I don't have Stanley Parable and I posted first. Thank you!

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Ok sent!

Just in time because I've made a desicion on the 3 best arty games (as decided by me):

• Murder, Death Chill for the ridiculous use of effects I've seen, and the ending
  • The View down Cold Firgun Nice little chill screensaver
  • Zamboni That intro cutscene. Beautiful. Poignant.

Can whoever did these tell me who to send the Magpie Collection key to? thanks

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

No one (as far as I can tell) went for the "best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time (in honour of jon blow's piss jug)" bounty so uh... skip this one?

Well since I'm already the person posting "selfies" (even though I only posted one :v:) I will claim this prize for Team Dogpit.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Mastigophoran posted:

Regarding regexes, try <.*?> instead, the ? Here means lazy, and just stops looking at the first match. It worked on regex101.com , a super cool website that you should check out. If it doesn't work, it may use a different lazy signifier that you can probably also find on that website.

Now, Having noted that, I need to go back and read the rest of your post mortem.

Ooh, that is a awesome thing I didn't know, thanks.

Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A
Thanks heaps to the judges for saying such nice things about "Cool Down My Face"! and playing everything and organising etc.

It was the first game I've made since I was a 12 year old mucking around with game maker, so I'm really happy with how it came out, even if the code to spawn fire was wonky as wonky can be.

I'm gonna link to it again cause I'm excited!
http://antonducks.itch.io/cool-down-my-face

Afal posted:

• The games I had to switch to firefox to play them was Beach Maygpis and Cool Down My Face. Both were pretty decent and I can't decide which one to label as the "worst" so I'm going to check the judges scores for this one as well

I'm happy to win a bounty but I did also have downloadables! :ssh:

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Sometimes people stop me and ask "Why are you, EntranceJew?" and I don't have an answer, because I don't know what is happening.

But I do have the Beeconomic Advisor's Post Morty for Llama goes to Market featuring TomR. It's in video form (just audio) for the people that are too lazy to read, because we're too lazy to write anything.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I wrote up quite the long post mortem for Awful Darts.

http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/awful-darts

I even included a few pictures, mostly because I wanted to show off the Alan Rickman picture and the Blueprint horror show my HUD ended up being.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I learned a very important thing this game jam.

Nobody clicks the button that says "INSTRUCTIONS" before they play the game.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Afal posted:

Just in time because I've made a desicion on the 3 best arty games (as decided by me):
  • Murder, Death Chill for the ridiculous use of effects I've seen, and the ending
Can whoever did these tell me who to send the Magpie Collection key to? thanks

Uh, I (and Pizza) made Murder, Death, Chill so maybe send a key of whatever the Magpie Collection is to me.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Afal posted:

Ok so now it's time for me to look at my bounties and explain how I'm going to judge them:
  • For the gamemaker bounty, it's for those who have used the "non-professional" version of gamemaker. "Best" is determined on what the judges thought were the best. As far as I could tell the games that used gamemaker were KIP-PL3, Chill Day.. uh I need some help here. Penguin Panic is apparently gamemaker but I can't remember if gamemaker forces the splash screen and I didn't see one here (same with death is eternal).

Penguin Panic was indeed made in Gamemaker. It does not force you to use a splash screen. You can turn it off in the "Global Game Settings." Thanks for offering so many bounties, that's awesome btw.

Also, I really enjoyed watching my game being played during the gong show. Thanks to those who participated in that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

EntranceJew posted:

Sometimes people stop me and ask "Why are you, EntranceJew?" and I don't have an answer, because I don't know what is happening.

But I do have the Beeconomic Advisor's Post Morty for Llama goes to Market featuring TomR. It's in video form (just audio) for the people that are too lazy to read, because we're too lazy to write anything.

Is anyone going to listen to this? It starts off pretty bad but it picks up when I start talking.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I wasn't aware the link wasn't working.

Here's Chill Shoot's Windows Standalone release: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByFNN6-4PiK_bFZFRjI4dE9WV3M/view?usp=sharing

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Imajus posted:

It does not force you to use a splash screen. You can turn it off in the "Global Game Settings." Thanks for offering so many bounties, that's awesome btw.

I think you can change the setting but unless you have a professional/educational license it shows it anyways. I could test that theory but I am too lazy right now.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I should say that yall raised around $500 USD in donations during the gong show.

FIVE
HUNDRED
DOLLARS

Thank you so much to all our benefactors and viewers this go 'round.

That of course means the winner of community choice wins $250 bux. Making it by far the best prize, hope yall nominated know how to campaign for votes because that's a hefty pot.

Speaking of nominees here they are:

*Polar Adventure
    *Llama goes to Market
    *Beach Maygpis
    *Chateau de Feu
    *Cool Down My Face
    *Kesha Was Bird
    *Catfishin' and Chill
    *Average Joe
    *Chill Out
    *Hashtag Everest

Community choice voting will run from this Friday, February 12th through the following Wednesday, the 17th.

We are working on a solution that works for everyone including non-goons for the community choice poll. Announcements will be made on the @AwfulJams twitter account.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Congrats to all the nominees!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whew finally got to watch the twitch stream in full! I'm thrilled that the judges had a great time with our game, particularly after they seemed to have a hard time with Slam Fighter II (learning experience - the public build now has a latency calibration wizard!)

Wanted to give some shoutouts to my amazing team since the in-game credits and the awfuljams page isn't specific about who did what.

First off - mad props to Logan McPhillips (whichever of you that is) for coming through with some emergency voice acting as an experienced mountaineer who eventually morphs into a wizard in the main character's fevered brain. This guy's performance and credit is in the most recent public build; unfortunately I hosed up implementing it in the judged version so it wasn't audible during the gong show.

Ziggy Starfucker did the game engine, designed the gameplay mechanics, and implemented all the logic. All the UI stuff was him. Textboxes, hover menus, everything. awesome color-changing mountain -- he did all the lerping. He also came up with all of the world record titles you see at the end and most of the push messages.

Screaming Color did all of the music except the title/end theme and once again it's simply incredible. Cute touch - he ran the exe of the game through some sort of algorithm to make the distorted crunch you hear at the start of the death zone theme. You can also hear his voice in the looping theme you hear in the midgame. You may recognize it as the voice of Tatsufumi, the main character of Slam Fighter II!

Michael A. Zekas Voiceover Talent turned out a fuckin' masterful performance as the male player character (which was also a shitload of lines to get done on the quick for a game jam, bearing in mind that not only did he have to record his lines but process them for use in the game too.) he also did audio engineering magic on my performance and sang the title track. My favorite contribution of his, however, was mixing the track that plays when you die which was 100% his brilliant (and demented) idea.

megane did the mountain and all its color variants, the backgrounds used for the parallax scrolling, the little climber sprites (we actually have tons more animations for those we hope to implement in the Valentine's Day release) and also some of the best inventory items - the Rammstein CD, the ice axe, the garden gnome, the airhorn, the katana, the oxygen bottle, and most of the ones from photographs (all made in during a last minute rush to have more poo poo by the deadline!) really amazing work all around.

Looking at the photos on Twitter, Mihai Zetta, made the most popular inventory item sprites. He did quite a few, but his greatest hits are the shutter shades, the umbrella, the mustache, and the :siren: Dragon Dildo :siren: which, I must add, was entirely his idea. I had to be talked into it but it looks like it's probably the most beloved item in the entire game! :v: he also designed the title screen slides and was our lead QA.

Henrik Ibsen wrote the dialogue between the main character and their ex. OK I abridged and modernized it, but credit where credit is due! If you liked it, you can read the original at Project Gutenberg. I tell ya, this guy is good. I think he's going places.

As for me, I did a little bit of everything. I mixed and sang on the title track, voiced the female player character, made most of the art assets, wrote the script and most of the item descriptions, and did development on top of that. Oh and most importantly the awfuljams page!

I think the main thing that helped us get so much accomplished is that Ziggy and I live together and we've both met everybody on the team in person (except megane; working on that.) Being tight with everybody on the team IRL kept us accountable to each other (also allowed game jam pizza parties.)

So, note on the music! This weekend Screaming Color finally released the Slam Fighter II soundtrack album, which you can get for free here: http://slamfighter.com/music It includes the first looping theme from #Everest as a bonus track. Fun note also, the song Michael and I sing as the title track in #Everest was something we'd been meaning to get around to FOREVER for the Slam Fighter album so the jam finally gave us the kick in the rear end to get that poo poo done and recorded, so you can actually hear a nicer version (we went back and recorded completely new vocals after the jam) on track 5 of the Slam Fighter II album.

So yeah we'd been meaning to get around to Dragostea din Tei as a joke track on the album for our Romanian character but I realized that it totally worked as the theme to #Everest too - not just for the lyrics but also for its association with fleeting Internet fame.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah Death Zone is hardcore yo. It is possible to reach green boots cave (I can see on Twitter it's been done a few times) but we made it an achievement worth bragging about on the Internet. :haw:

Afal posted:

#Everest - First time I played I was 65% up the mountain until I realised I could have put a lot more items in other character's backpacks. Would have been cool to put the first dragon dildo on everest. I thought the score multiplier was "[number of stupid bullshit in picutre] * [everest height climbed]" so naturally I thought I'd max my score by sending a team with backpacks full of dragon dildos to the top. I still haven't been able to do this.

The score is the aggregate points from the highest scoring photo from each landmark. Each photo from a landmark gets a base number of points from the landmark itself, then the points from the items you had in shot. Most of the useful items are only worth one whereas most of the junk items are worth 100 or more. (need to check but I believe the items also need to be unique since I think we just iterate through the list of items with a foreach and see if the photo window has the item as a true/false without counting how many there are. In the build we release on Valentine's Day I think I'll try to rig it so that you get diminishing returns for each additional item of the same type.) Anything your character has equipped will be counted so you don't need to drag that into the photo.

Wow that got long and that's not even the post mortem!

E:

JonTerp posted:

*Polar Adventure
    *Llama goes to Market
    *Beach Maygpis
    *Chateau de Feu
    *Cool Down My Face
    *Kesha Was Bird
    *Catfishin' and Chill
    *Average Joe
    *Chill Out
    *Hashtag Everest

WHOA congrats everybody!!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I did everything on my game.

It was a fun and challenging experience.

• Locked thread