Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Judges will be picking the theme MONDAY.

Say your piece before then to have your 2 cents counted.

Also judges are locked in:

• SharpenedSpoon
  • Everdraed
  • Tann
  • InternetJanitor
  • Poemdexter

Calipark fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Considering most games that did well in the last jam were tight and extremely playable, it seems like "chill" would either be the best or worst theme. Best if people are able to do anything but the obvious with it, worst if every team makes a slow-paced, relaxed game with no set goals. I like the other two themes alright, though I think Short, Sweet and to the Point could result in some really terrible two-second-long games, like everybody's favorite joke from the last jam, "My Critical Omission was THE GAME HUR HUR HUR".

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Chill sounds fun! I'd want to make a game about using an ICE-RAY to shatter enemies.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tann posted:

Chill sounds fun! I'd want to make a game about using an ICE-RAY to shatter enemies.

Yeah and I think if people take the meaning as anything besides "relaxed" it's a great theme because it is pretty open to interpretation. I would love to play multiple ice-inspired games.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm interested in helping out with this! I mostly do pixel art but I can code in emergency situations.

If you want to see some stuff I've worked on, I did the tileset for Caves of Qud and I'm the art director for Dungeon Crawl.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

'Chill' can also lead to a horror game.

Trivial could be fun, but I would expect all the games to be, well, trivial to complete.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the 3 themes are pretty cool. My vote goes to Short, Sweet & to the Point.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I like Trivialize myself, since it leads my imagination to all kinds of wild places. Not crazy about short n' sweet since given the two-week length of the jam we're probably all going to do that anyway. (I mean hell, a bunch of the SAGDCX entries would probably be admissible under that theme.) chill could also be fun just because I'm amused by a bunch of winter-themed games coming from a pack of goons.

And Pomdexter's bounty sounds loving incredible; I must stalk his post history so I can make sure I design a game to win it. :haw:

For the record, I loved An Video Game, so my opinion cancels out that of MockingQuantum, therefore it is as if nobody mentioned An Video Game in the thread at all!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I wanna chill

but otherwise a short game's a good game. Short, sweet and to the point could be fun.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Gilganixon posted:

I wanna chill

but otherwise a short game's a good game. Short, sweet and to the point could be fun.

I was thinkin chill too.
:hfive:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Xibanya posted:

And Pomdexter's bounty sounds loving incredible; I must stalk his post history so I can make sure I design a game to win it. :haw:

Do your best impression of a Vlambeer title complete with screen shake and you'll win easily. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Screenshake: the game

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
hey im still on the wall shame, have been for years. I'll try again, but would anybody work with me????

I know how to program/do 3d graphic work, I just want to work with someone. I've never been on a team for games, and I wanna try making a game with a friend.

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 3, 2016

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
If anyone is still looking to make a team I'm available to help program or do some mediocre art / music work. I have an idea I feel comfortable with for Chill but pretty unsure as to what I'd do for Trivialize / Short & Simple.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

TheOrange posted:

If anyone is still looking to make a team I'm available to help program or do some mediocre art / music work. I have an idea I feel comfortable with for Chill but pretty unsure as to what I'd do for Trivialize / Short & Simple.

cool dude if youd like email me at badartforyousorry@gmail.com

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
So.... I sent an email about this 12 days ago, but nothing has happened yet despite me getting a reponse the same day saying that it would.
My followup emails seems to have been ignored.

On the awful jam page, it would be nice if the rules could include some terms for how IP rights for submissions are handled (gamejams tend to do this). Example:
"Your game belongs to you. Awful Jams, its organizers and affiliates claim no rights or ownership of your game."

(based on the IP rights info from ludum dare, section ownership)
http://ludumdare.com/compo/rules/

I basically need something like this in place for me to be able to participate, for reasons I can't talk too much about.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Buffis posted:

So.... I sent an email about this 12 days ago, but nothing has happened yet despite me getting a reponse the same day saying that it would.
My followup emails seems to have been ignored.

On the awful jam page, it would be nice if the rules could include some terms for how IP rights for submissions are handled (gamejams tend to do this). Example:
"Your game belongs to you. Awful Jams, its organizers and affiliates claim no rights or ownership of your game."

(based on the IP rights info from ludum dare, section ownership)
http://ludumdare.com/compo/rules/

I basically need something like this in place for me to be able to participate, for reasons I can't talk too much about.

I'm pretty sure that whatever you make will always be owned by you.

For my past games, I always included a copyright notice just to be safe, though I'm pretty sure no one is going to go out of their way to claim ownership of your super-cool top-secret groundbreaking game idea.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Harold Krell posted:

I'm pretty sure that whatever you make will always be owned by you.

For my past games, I always included a copyright notice just to be safe, though I'm pretty sure no one is going to go out of their way to claim ownership of your super-cool top-secret groundbreaking game idea.

I know a few big studios around Dallas don't allow their employees to participate in game jams period.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

poemdexter posted:

I know a few big studios around Dallas don't allow their employees to participate in game jams period.

Yeah, I don't want to talk about specifics, but things like that seems common, not just in game studios.

Having an IP rights information like that is pretty much standard, and may seem unneccessary to some people, but it will make it a lot easier for some people (like me) to participate.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Buffis posted:

Yeah, I don't want to talk about specifics, but things like that seems common, not just in game studios.

Having an IP rights information like that is pretty much standard, and may seem unneccessary to some people, but it will make it a lot easier for some people (like me) to participate.

Sorry Buffis, all the webdevs have been incredibly busy over the holidays. I'll add the language as soon as I can.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

JonTerp posted:

Sorry Buffis, all the webdevs have been incredibly busy over the holidays. I'll add the language as soon as I can.
That's my bad, sorry Buffis. Holidays are the worst for webdev (and many other things, I'm sure!).

I am looking forward to playing games that trivialize my short-and-to-the-point chill-sperience!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks!
I should hopefully be able to participate now.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
Hoping the theme is going to be Chill, as i'm honestly kind of blanking on what to do for the other options.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The judges have spoken and a theme has been chosen. We will announce with a livestream at midnight EST the 8th of January to kick off the jam.

PS you can follow us on Twitter for info on livestreams, rule changes, and other important stuff. https://www.twitter.com/awfuljams

Calipark fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 5, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
If anyone is in need of a Sound Designer hit me up! I'm not judging this round so I'd love the chance to participate!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

If anyone is in need of a Sound Designer hit me up! I'm not judging this round so I'd love the chance to participate!

If you need a sound designer and do not take him up on this, you are a deeply foolish person.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

MockingQuantum posted:

If you need a sound designer and do not take him up on this, you are a deeply foolish person.

Or foolish....like a fox!

My sound guy is awesome. And should :justpost: instead of lurking all the goddamn time.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

JossiRossi posted:

Shot you a PM, would be awesome to work with a sound guy rather than me shouting noises into GarageBand on my phone to make things work.

Really hoping the theme is Chill at this point as I have a real dumb idea for it.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/667418431839412226

has anyone told Derek Smart about the game jam yet?

Afal fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

JonTerp posted:

The judges have spoken and a theme has been chosen. We will announce with a livestream at midnight EST the 8th of January to kick off the jam.

PS you can follow us on Twitter for info on livestreams, rule changes, and other important stuff. https://www.twitter.com/awfuljams
At least edit the OP with the announced theme :geno:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Shalinor posted:

They do a video reveal the night the Jam starts. It's kind of a thing.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Man, I've wanted to participate in one of these things since I first became aware of these contests. I don't have time to actually pursue any of my own ideas though, so I guess if anyone needs 2d Art stuff I can try and lend a hand.

Hopefully this tentative hat tossing won't be something anyone'll regret.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

MockingQuantum posted:

Stop tying to sabotage your competition! They don't know any better.

TheOrange posted:

Shot you a PM, would be awesome to work with a sound guy rather than me shouting noises into GarageBand on my phone to make things work.

Really hoping the theme is Chill at this point as I have a real dumb idea for it.
Replied!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Stop tying to sabotage your competition! They don't know any better.

Replied!

drat you're on to my tricks Rossi. What other plebe can I foist on competing teams?!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yo just a heads up to anyone planning to use Game Maker Studio for the jam. A win 10 update broke GMS (and Skype lol). You have to uninstall the update to fix it.

More here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/3yt1z4/gamemaker_crashes_on_startup/

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shalinor posted:

We announce the chosen theme with a livestream that plays to start the jam.

We're planning on streaming out the stroke of midnight Friday, EST time. But if we end of delaying a few hours we'll extend the competition for those lost hours.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Thinking about using PICO-8 instead of Octo for this Jam.

Anyone using any other fun tech/platforms?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Buffis posted:

We're going XNA again, which some may consider an antiquated way of doing things!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Buffis posted:

probably gonna use this jam as a stepping stone to switch over from haxeflixel to love2d. gonna make some chiptunes in the milkytracker and drop them right in there.

also chill sounds like a great theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

probably gonna use this jam as a stepping stone to switch over from haxeflixel to love2d. gonna make some chiptunes in the milkytracker and drop them right in there.

also chill sounds like a great theme

EntranceJew's Love2D skills are most righteous if you need some guidance.

• Locked thread