Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm interested in shadowing a team to get a feel for the game design process, so if any teams want an intern, my off hours are available. :shobon: I'm a software developer by trade, but I have relatively little game programming experience, so I don't know if I have enough to offer in that department. I'm willing to learn and discuss, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014
This sounds like an excellent reason to spend all day tomorrow adding scripting and sprite support to my engine.
So team Just Gotta Finish My Engine First might be a thing. Might.
(It's probably just going to be team My Engine Barely Works.)

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

EntranceJew's Love2D skills are most righteous if you need some guidance.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Love2D's community is so heartwarming, it feels really good trying to get into it with all the helpful people around.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Crayonskies posted:

This sounds like an excellent reason to spend all day tomorrow adding scripting and sprite support to my engine.

:stare:

We might need a category for "Crazy enough to roll own engine".

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Crayonskies posted:

Y'all be crazy.

But a good kind of crazy.

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

JonTerp posted:

:stare:

We might need a category for "Crazy enough to roll own engine".

Is it fine if I submit a game that only runs in 640x480 fullscreen with no audio on an obscure linux distro?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Crayonskies posted:

Is it fine if I submit a game that only runs in 640x480 fullscreen with no audio on an obscure linux distro?

Sure. If you're okay with never being judged or on any streams and nobody except you playing your game. Yeah. Go for it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Crayonskies posted:

:laffo:

Be sure to put up a torrent for a Virtualbox machine with the distro and game

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

JonTerp posted:

Sure. If you're okay with never being judged or on any streams and nobody except you playing your game. Yeah. Go for it.
Ok, I guess I won't move development away from Windows after all then :V

You're probably still getting the resolution and lack of audio though. And there probably won't be GPU-acceleration. Or physics. Input may or may not be a temporary hack. We'll see how far I get before the 8th. I'm hoping I won't have to spend most of the jam-time adding basic engine functionality. I guess that might be half the fun of it though.
Worst-case scenario, can I submit a half-finished engine with no game in it as a kind of meta-commentary on the nature of jam-games?
I'm pretty sure that would fit into all three potential themes pretty well.

(Ok, I'll stop being silly and get back to coding now.)

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Crayonskies posted:

Worst-case scenario, can I submit a half-finished engine with no game in it as a kind of meta-commentary on the nature of jam-games?

Not sure how this would be a meta-commentary on gamejams, since it's probably quite unusual to roll your own engine for gamejams, and using WIP engines seems sortof awkward.

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

Buffis posted:

Not sure how this would be a meta-commentary on gamejams, since it's probably quite unusual to roll your own engine for gamejams, and using WIP engines seems sortof awkward.
I meant that every game is basically hastily thrown-together and unfinished. Or something. I wasn't very serious.
(I am about the engine thing though. I'm rewriting my object loading code right now. Then I can add sprites and scripting.)

bamboopuppy
Jul 18, 2005
I coded a custom graphics engine for my game during the July jam using C and OpenGL. It took weeks of coding before actually getting to the game designing part. However it's definitely rewarding for learning at a very low level how video games work. There are advantages to making your own engine in terms of flexibility and optimizing for what is important in your game, and you have to get creative in designing a game that overcomes the limitations of your own engine. If I have the time, I plan on going the same route with this jam.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I've dabbled a few times into the Awful GameDev challenges in the past. If you are looking for music, I may be your guy.

Soudcloud site: https://soundcloud.com/j-r-trimpe
Professional site: http://trimpe.org

Professional musician. Scoring for band is orchestra is what I do for a living. Done a couple small indie games and short films as well. Occasionally known to rock the funk out from time to time. I also love roast beef.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Your stuff is really good. Nice to see someone who does more than chiptunes/electronic stuff!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I guess I'll be running solo or with one of the IRC goons. Team Adorable Animals will redeem itself after the irredeemable piece of poo poo that was Dum.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

JonTerp posted:

[*]If you are using code you or your teammates have written in the past (frameworks, old games, etc) you need to open source all code for that project and announce it in a post.

I will be using this pico-8 base project:
https://github.com/buffis/LittleAwfulJam2016/blob/master/base.p8
(basically just boilerplate setup for a game state machine featuring a title screen, gameover screen, and game loop + some particle effects and scoring)

It's extracted from an earlier pico-8 thing i hacked together which is at:
https://github.com/buffis/bounce

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Buffis posted:

I will be using this pico-8 base project:
https://github.com/buffis/LittleAwfulJam2016/blob/master/base.p8
(basically just boilerplate setup for a game state machine featuring a title screen, gameover screen, and game loop + some particle effects and scoring)

It's extracted from an earlier pico-8 thing i hacked together which is at:
https://github.com/buffis/bounce

Oh hey, speaking of pico-8. If you need music, hit me up: http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2103

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Pizzatime posted:

Oh hey, speaking of pico-8. If you need music, hit me up: http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2103

Oh poo poo, definitely. Music would be awesome!
That said, to set your expectations, I wont spend too much time on this jam, since I'm on parental leave. Will mostly code during late nights and baby naps.

Should have a WIP/prototype of whatever the chosen theme is within a few days after the jam starting, and will send you a message then if you want to contribute,

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I participated in the last two SAGDCs and loved the heck out of it, but don't know if I'll have time for this one.

I started writing this post then re-downloaded and installed GMS so I guess I'm gonna do my best to submit something. Yay!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Bounty:

I will gift a copy of Contraption Maker to the team whose game has the best :iceburn:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just a heads up, we'll be streaming out the theme announcement / Jam kickoff in a few hours. Probably around 12pm Central, I'll send out a Tweet when we have a concrete time (I'm still editing the video).

We'll go live at the top of the hour. https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
:supaburn: Almost time.

Still no idea where to start. Debating between...

Netflix and Chill: The Game. Ms PacMan has to avoid :dong: for the duration of a film. Eat popcorn. Carry-out cherries.

Short, Sweet, and to the Point: Cooking Ramsay. Tinder, for cakes. Randomly generated cakes which you swipe left to disapprove and right to approve. Maintain your culinary integrity.

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

I have no game developing experience, but I figure after two weeks of asking where did my life go wrong you better believe I'll haphazardly cobble something together!

Let's do this thing! :parrot:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

(video announcement trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hdLrDLVlTk

Calipark fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 8, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Like, I wanna give this a shot, but GOD drat do my all-around skills feel... lacking. Like, I could probably throw up something in a VN maker and have it go all text or something. I dunno. Or I could pitch ideas against dev's heads and see what sticks.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oooh, Chill, eh?

Well, I'm not too busy with work for the next few weeks, so I'd be happy to offer my skills as a composer (and possibly SFX designer, but don't count on it). Almost everything I write is chill. If you don't believe me, take a look at my SoundCloud, and my work on Impulse. Smooth jazz, fusion, downbeat disco and house. Chill is my element. I hang out in the IRC a whole bunch, so just yell at me if you like what you hear (you can also just PM me or call me out in the thread, I'll be checking it pretty consistently).

I can probably write some goofy Sleigh Ride rip-off if you want that, though. :v:

(I'm currently joined up with one team two teams - should be safe to take up two one more, I think.)

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 9, 2016

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Any artists still offering their skills? I'm a programmer who can't draw for poo poo, and I'd like to make a proper go of this and not have to submit something consisting entirely of place-holder graphics.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
drat, if this was in December I could have given it a go but with the global game jam at the end of the month and me needing to write my thesis I'm not going to have time for this one :( Next time!

I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the theme though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I had a great idea for trivialize, where you throw your corpse into obstacles to make them irrelevant on subsequent attempts, but I have a decent idea for chill too.

Ultigonio posted:

Oooh, Chill, eh?

Well, I'm not too busy with work for the next few weeks, so I'd be happy to offer my skills as a composer (and possibly SFX designer, but don't count on it). Almost everything I write is chill. If you don't believe me, take a look at my SoundCloud, and my work on Impulse. Smooth jazz, fusion, downbeat disco and house. Chill is my element. I hang out in the IRC a whole bunch, so just yell at me if you like what you hear (you can also just PM me or call me out in the thread, I'll be checking it pretty consistently).

I can probably write some goofy Sleigh Ride rip-off if you want that, though. :v:

(I'm currently joined up with one team - should be safe to take up two more, I think.)

Would you be willing to let me use a couple of your soundcloud tracks? I'll include you as part of my team.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
This jam doesn't take place during the same month as my birthday and vacation. So I have no excuse not to finish this time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Chill is the theme! :woop: GAME ON!

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Oh, midnight as in 0000 not 2400. Neat.

So, I'm going to be on the Wall this time. I chickened out last time.

Chill sounds like Hoth flight-sim or space to me. Time to figure out that 3d convex hull algo so I can put shields around anything.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
here is the progress I made so far:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUGisre9xNU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
The least chill thing I could think of to use as enemies was nazis.
My spritework is not very good.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Buffis posted:

The least chill thing I could think of to use as enemies was nazis.
My spritework is not very good.

Honestly I've seen way worse.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm pretty set on making a mobile friendly spell casting wizard game. I like the idea of swiping a sequence, like a phone password, to cast spells. I'm still kicking around themes though.

Maybe Weed Wizard, where you have to maintain the perfect amount of weed, heat, and cool water in a bong for a parade of sweet wizard buddies.

Edit:
Yeah, party wizard is going down :slick:

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Day one stuff!

All the physics work, I'm looking forward to getting matching working soon so I can focus on making it pretty! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Manslaughter posted:

Would you be willing to let me use a couple of your soundcloud tracks? I'll include you as part of my team.
Sure! PM me or email me at ultigonio@gmail.com and we can talk about which ones you want to use.

• Locked thread