Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
PAESS ANY HEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I've always thought that the best way to improve Flappy Bird was to make the backgrounds visually unpleasant and add the most inscrutable hitboxes imaginable, so good job Afal

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Played #Everest, made it to Green Boots Cave, dumped everything on top of Green Boots, took a selfie, stripped naked, and waited for death. I'm assuming this is the correct way to play!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xibanya posted:

Yes.

Oh yeah, was this you?
https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/691482690953035776

I'll add screenshots to the awfuljams page soon and maybe some of Ziggy's hints from his post up there.

Also I uploaded a new version with some minor tweaks and bugfixes so if anybody wants that it can be had at http://slamfighter.com/download-everest

Yep! Any idea if it's actually possible to summit and then make it back down?

edit: I'm also getting really depressed about how bad I am at games, since I can't figure out how to advance in Kesha Was Bird and also in Chill Out I unlocked the lockbox, tore down the poster, popped open the keyboard, and tried every combination of ralph/goose1/dynamind/italy and just about everything else i could think of and couldn't figure it out :(

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 25, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ultigonio posted:

Look a bit more carefully. If you're still not sure: Flip the laptop open and closed a few times. This one got me pretty stuck, as well.

Chill Out: ..... there's a laptop? I could swear I looked at and interacted with every single thing that I could. Is the laptop on the coffee table? Black thing? Maybe I just never had the angle quite right to highlight it, somehow. Thanks, I'll check it out when I'm not at work.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think the issue is more that the objective to get an obscurely-determined amount of points based on a seemingly arbitrary selfie system just isn't as compelling when put against one of the single most difficult and dangerous achievements the human race has ever attempted. When the design allows you to make an honest effort against impossible odds, it's more tempting to do that than to load up with junk (most of which would be more appealing if the development cycle was longer and real textures could be implemented, instead of just question blocks [unless this is a bug and only my copy showed ? for half of the goofy items]) and die after playing with Colorforms for a bit.

Add to that the design elements that seem to challenge you to make it further (teammate death, health status effects that can be healed with rest/proper packing, etc), and everything seems to be pointing "go up the mountain" except for a few numbers and occasional voiceovers. The first voiceover, by the by, reinforces your need to advance to camp as quickly as possible.

Maybe, if you could change poses or meaningfully interact with your weird pack-ins in some way, the selfie points would become more compelling or fun. As it is, most of the fun was in seeing the options on the pack screen.

I'm sorry I played your game wrong, but I still enjoyed it!

edit: Maybe some kind of social media thermometer, or a system where more likes means more motivation, which could power you through your sunburn or dysentery. Maybe a scripted twitter feed where you actually see responses to your journey cool or improve based on your selfie game?

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xibanya posted:

As you may have seen, our original inspiration was Oregon Trail, which also gives you a score. I must have played through hundreds of times in Elementary school, trying to get the highest score to beat my friends and trying to figure out optimal pregame inventory selections. So part of the reason why we didn't spell everything out was that we were hoping to recapture that desire to experiment and maximize the result, but that counts on our players having the mentality of an eight-year-old at lunch time.

But don't you only get/record the score in Oregon Trail if you manage to complete the journey? The challenge, then, becomes to balance your resources to up the difficulty while still making it to the end in one piece. #Everest plays a little more like if Oregon Trail was scored like it was okay that you died by Independence Rock, as long as you kicked butt in the Native American dating sim mini-game.

Again, it was a really solid experience (Oregon Trail is a solid base, after all), with a lot of really cool polish and feel (loved the sound and music design, particularly when you carry on longer/reach higher and things get a little weird), I just don't think the selfie aspect feels as central as your team had hoped.

edit: Also, maybe I'm just really terrible at the game, but it feels like group death is inevitable, even when you do pack for "easy mode," which spurs you to play smarter. If I'd reached the summit with a full healthy team and then got a message like "you made it, trash is everywhere, the world yawns and doesn't care" then I might be spurred to do stranger runs to increase the response

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

EntranceJew posted:

Twitch Chat in Llama goes to Market

If you didn't play Llama goes to Market by now, then you might want to check out The Gong Show's playthrough of it.

As I mentioned in our very casual Post Morty, twitch chat integration was a last minute decision that I made in the dead of night after getting jacked up on energy drinks and getting tired of refactoring code I couldn't easily manage. There's no secret, llama game was developed using a prerelease build of Lumberyard which is going to further the games industry by miles, don't forget to buy your own Amazon swag today I had no idea what I was doing, but I'm very good at hunting for information that almost lets me do what I want to do.

I basically used TwitchIRC.cs which just so happened to be exactly what I needed, but required ripping apart from top to bottom in order to accurately debug an issue I had. I registered a new twitch account and got everything I needed. After three hours of debugging at 2 in the morning I figured out that in order to connect to a room you have to supply the room name without any caps. Our project just so happened to have a singleton and matching gameobject aptly named God in every scene that we could attach this to. It might not be necessary to do this, but I feel when sockets / threads / buffers are involved it's best to hedge my bets.

Originally we had it so that chat messages would pool in God until the player triggered the "Next" button of a dialog box, but that became a problem when the pool got too big or when that dialog box had important things in it. It was at this point that TomR jokingly suggested that we have a bird fly by and deliver the message. What followed was a 3 hour conversation about the avian diversity of mesoamerican cultures. Because subtlety is a foreign concept to us, we then spent at least another day spawning random birds and putting them in obnoxious places. Because the game uses Input.Mouse*, the dialog boxes (being Canvases themselves) obstructed the player's ability to move up until we found the checkbox somewhere in the hierarchy to make that stop happening. mockingquantum then made sure that once we had made the HellBird as annoying as possible, to make it even more annoying by having it announce its presence with an ambivalent squawk.

This all happened before we had more than one level in the overworld or a set minigame associated to each encounter.

If you want a more advanced solution and don't want to painstakingly implement each feature from here on your own (although this covers 90% of most use cases) I think writing a lightweight wrapper MonoBehavior for ChatSharp or IRC.NET would be worth your time. Or, now that you scraped through TwitchIRC.cs enough to figure out how to get TCP sockets up and kicking, you can implement the rest of the specs using this very difficult to find document on what few things twitch's IRC network implements.

I actually didn't catch the Gong Show stream of this, thank you for posting this. That's loving incredible, and I can only imagine the feeling you had while waiting for it to show up on stream.

• Locked thread