Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sanschel posted:

News about Civil War OP out of GAMA: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558550

The format sounds interesting; we only get 12-16 players consistently for big events anyway so I'm not sweating a player reduction on our standard two cases anyway, though the increased price hurts some. The draft format is odd, and aside from team building selection and Bounty cards the factions don't make a big difference. Those sculpts are super swanky.

As a judge I'm annoyed that there's no additional support; it was a nice thank you to get an LE for the time it takes to organize and corral players, but this time around I either get bupkis or join in which potentially bumps out a player and also hurts my impartiality.

I was speaking to my venue a few weeks ago and apparently the grand prize pack is expensive enough that we'd have to make a significant bump in cost for the final month, so we're opting instead to do four months of sealed and one month of constructed with a small buy-in, but with two kits all 16 players should walk away with two grand prize figures.

I want that Steve Rogers in Iron Man Armour.

Too bad literally nowhere near me does organised play. So not only would I not be able to win it, it'd just be a display piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sanschel posted:

News about Civil War OP out of GAMA: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558550

The format sounds interesting; we only get 12-16 players consistently for big events anyway so I'm not sweating a player reduction on our standard two cases anyway, though the increased price hurts some. The draft format is odd, and aside from team building selection and Bounty cards the factions don't make a big difference. Those sculpts are super swanky.

As a judge I'm annoyed that there's no additional support; it was a nice thank you to get an LE for the time it takes to organize and corral players, but this time around I either get bupkis or join in which potentially bumps out a player and also hurts my impartiality.

I was speaking to my venue a few weeks ago and apparently the grand prize pack is expensive enough that we'd have to make a significant bump in cost for the final month, so we're opting instead to do four months of sealed and one month of constructed with a small buy-in, but with two kits all 16 players should walk away with two grand prize figures.

What kind of a price increase are we talking relative to normal?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
http://win.wizkids.com/

/shrug

WES is getting a new name or re-branding, I guess.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I just got done making chip tokens of all the old print-and-play special objects along with tokens of the Adventure Kit 3D objects so I could put the rules for each on the reverse side. You can download the PDF from my Google Drive. The gray-backgrounded boxes are for the Adventure Kit objects.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
TMNT preview: Casey Jones!

That dial would be a steal at 50 points. He costs 30.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

CapnAndy posted:

TMNT preview: Casey Jones!

That dial would be a steal at 50 points. He costs 30.

Oh my god I am in love :love:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558592

The next DC set is Joker's Wild, a Bat-villain themed set that also features the JSA, the Outsiders, and the Suicide Squad.

Going to hold out hope for Batman Beyond villains (won't happen, but one can dream).

The Court of Owls will most definitely be in though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
HCRealms' unit section has the starter set turtles up, and they're hot garbage. Morand and I discussed it, and based on their common trait (Shell Shock), we have decided that obviously these versions represent the arcade game. This explains why their attacks barely hurt and why they are so easy to kill. They are trying to eat your quarters!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

HCRealms' unit section has the starter set turtles up, and they're hot garbage. Morand and I discussed it, and based on their common trait (Shell Shock), we have decided that obviously these versions represent the arcade game. This explains why their attacks barely hurt and why they are so easy to kill. They are trying to eat your quarters!

They're almost useless on clicks 4-6. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

And the chases for Uncanny X-Men have been revealed:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CapnAndy posted:

This makes me sad, I was planning on grabbing the starter since I'm a noob and I love the turtles :(

Might still pick it up since I doubt there's another started planned for the near future.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Red posted:

What is that?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Red posted:

Beyond Apocalypse and Weapon X I'm having a hard time figuring out how AoA as chases can be limited to six figures. It could be a set unto itself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dexie posted:

What is that?
Age of Apocalypse Sabretooth with Wild Child.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanschel posted:

Beyond Apocalypse and Weapon X I'm having a hard time figuring out how AoA as chases can be limited to six figures. It could be a set unto itself.

Even limiting just to X-Men would be tough.

I could see them doing Dark Beast, Sugarman, or Sunfire, just based on design popularity.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sanschel posted:

Right on. I very seriously thought they'd save AoA for an OP series.

Edit: Looking at those Turtles, :drat:. WK, what did you do to them? I might very well just eBay the map and leave the starter alone otherwise.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 19, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's the same thing they did with the awful Street Fighter starter. :argh:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh my gently caress give me an AoA Rogue/Magneto duo

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Dexie posted:

It's the same thing they did with the awful Street Fighter starter. :argh:

Man, I still remember that thing. They put the normal P1 colors for the six in there, and gave them fairly worthless dials. Well, with the exception of Chun-Li having SOME utility.

I was always tempted to sculpt swap the starter and set versions so I could at least have the standard colors on decent, usable dials. I just dealt with popping the tops on the dials of the main set versions and noting that I was using the actual main set dial/points/etc.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Volfogg posted:

Man, I still remember that thing. They put the normal P1 colors for the six in there, and gave them fairly worthless dials. Well, with the exception of Chun-Li having SOME utility.

Aw, starter Ken was actually a pretty decent tie-up figure. He's the only Street Fighter figure that I'll play as anything but a joke, these days.

And, wow, those starter Turtles are awful. If they were, like, 40 points each, that would make sense, but 75? All those bystanders in that box had better be fantastic...

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

Aw, starter Ken was actually a pretty decent tie-up figure. He's the only Street Fighter figure that I'll play as anything but a joke, these days.

Seriously? What about Cammy? She's pretty good. I almost played her last weekend. Dee Jay's certainly decent, Fei Long's not bad for 75 points, and both of the main set Dhalsims are plenty playable.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Seriously? What about Cammy? She's pretty good. I almost played her last weekend. Dee Jay's certainly decent, Fei Long's not bad for 75 points, and both of the main set Dhalsims are plenty playable.

Well, okay, I do grab Fei Long for celebrity teams. The problem with the set is just that, at this point there are better options to fill pretty much any role that a Street Fighter character can fill, no matter what keyword you're looking for. They're still fun to play for who and what they are, but if I'm playing anything other than straight Street Fighter (or gimmick 'as many universes as possible' teams), none of them can really carry their weight. The set was not competitive when it first came out, and years of improvements on dial design have made them seem even worse.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This week was 300 points, and you had to have at least 4 figures on your team. I asked if team bases would count as one figure per attached guy, expecting to be denied, and was instead told that was okay. After considering the Zombies, Shi'ar Imperial Guard, Justice League, and Hellfire Club at full points, I played:

Hellfire Club: Inner Circle 180
/w Black King 5
/w Black Queen 5
/w White King 5
/w White Queen (original) 5
Hellfire Club Guard x2 72
R Hellfire Guard 11

Total 285

E Hellfire Guards are 15 points exactly, but it turns out I don't have any. When the judge saw my team he told me that was exactly what he expected ever since I asked if team bases would count, which surprised me a great deal since I'd considered so many other team bases first and also even if you counted the team base as one guy, I still had 4 characters on my force, so my question ended up irrelevant.

Round 1 was against an Animal team of Menagerie, Red Wolf, Klarion, and Blackwing. I popped off Black King so I'd have a secondary attacker and sent him into melee while the Inner Circle and their guards held back and sniped. My dice were just completely ice cold. I kept on missing attack after attack. Lobo had the Inner Circle tied up, and they simply could not hit him. I managed to knock Blackwing to a useless click (2 damage means you can't dent anyone I care about), but Black King got hit all the way to his very last click. Thankfully I was able to do a hypersonic breakaway, run back to the Inner Circle, and then have them reabsorb him. Next turn he popped back out again all nice and healed up, but now he had to stay close as Mastermind fodder because all my guards had died (I'd landed on the White King/mastermind and stealth asset click a few turns ago, though). Menagerie managed to avoid every single attack for a solid six turns as she just kept landing Shape Change. I didn't win this game so much as not lose it; my ridiculous amount of damage mitigation let me just wait out my horrible dice rolls until I lucked out enough times. Ended up KOing everybody and scoring a full 300 points.

Round 2 was against technically a Justice League theme team, but it was really Team Batman: Armored movie Batman, 100 point WF SR Batman, 25 point Batgirl, and a Batman/Superman Robot. (The venue has a highlander rule, and I bitched that it was in violation, but movie Batman doesn't have a real name on his card so it technically skated. That's some bullshit IMO.) Armored Batman is scarily effective on his top click, with that 8 range psyblast and outwit. My dice remained abominable, but Black King was able to land a solid blow on SR Batman early, which limited his effectiveness. And my horrible dice helped me in a way; the robot can't act unless you hit somebody, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so it spent most of the game just standing around being useless. Still, I couldn't hit a 14 defense. Twice. Once again I lost all my goons and Black King got beat onto his last click, whereupon he had to run back and be reabsorbed and then taken back out next turn to be mastermind fodder. This time, though, I hadn't managed to land on White King/mastermind and stealth. I was on Black King/mastermind and stealth, and I realized that that was simply going to have to be good enough, because if I stopped having mastermind, the Inner Circle was gonna start taking a real beating. Once again I simply outlasted the other team. When I finally landed a hit on Armored Batman, the Batman/Superman Robot came over to retaliate. Black King managed to land a hit on it now that it was close, so no more robot. Then I finally managed to punch out Batgirl, which dropped his outwit to tolerable levels. Eventually I hit Armored Batman, which made him much less effective, and then I had two attackers who could hurt his guys, and he really couldn't hurt mine. KOed everybody again and got another 300 points.

Round 3 was against the Doom Patrol, and though my dice just never woke up all day -- this time I missed a 15 twice -- they never had a chance. It's a good team but they just plain couldn't hurt me. Sure, Elastigirl is really hard to hit, but I'd been dealing with most of my attacks being misses all day, and once you do hit her, she folds, and without her, the team's got really nothing when it comes to damage dealers. Negative Man is an annoyance and Mento burned himself to death on mind control feedback. I intentionally let a goon die (I could have masterminded the damage onto a different one who would have survived it) because I wanted the outwit/perplex to help take down Elastigirl (didn't help, incidentally, I missed her anyway), but otherwise this was a clean sweep. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I rolled a 1 the first time I turned the asset dial, so I got to spend the entire game on that White King/mastermind and stealth click. Ended up going 3-0 with a perfect 900 points.

The Hellfire Club feels like cheating, really. Oh, you're going to hit me? That's nice, if it's 3 damage or less I just soak it all, and if it's more than that I just offload it onto one of my disposable idiots, so I stay top dial while you wear yourself out on stuff I am ignoring. Oh, you killed all my mastermind fodder? Well, I guess I'll just dump the damage onto Black King, who gets better and better as he takes damage. You actually got Black King near death? Time to take him off the board and then bring him back next turn on click 5, oh and I can do this literally as many times as I want and you can't ever stop me, because neither that nor the asset Mastermind is outwittable.

I mean, "I'm always at the top of my game and I'm just going to stand here and do whatever I want and ignore all your futile efforts to stop me" is very thematic for the Hellfire Club, but it's so drat powerful. They'd be even better in a 400 point game, since you could play 'em top-dial and actually get multiple actions per turn with Working Together.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 21, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

The Hellfire Club feels like cheating, really. Oh, you're going to hit me? That's nice, if it's 3 damage or less I just soak it all, and if it's more than that I just offload it onto one of my disposable idiots, so I stay top dial while you wear yourself out on stuff I am ignoring. Oh, you killed all my mastermind fodder? Well, I guess I'll just dump the damage onto Black King, who gets better and better as he takes damage. You actually got Black King near death? Time to take him off the board and then bring him back next turn on click 5, oh and I can do this literally as many times as I want and you can't ever stop me, because neither that nor the asset Mastermind is outwittable.

Asset abilities can be countered as though they were combat abilities.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Haha oops.

Well, it wouldn't have mattered much, although Armor Batman might have gotten a hit or two in before his outwit fell off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Here are some random rules questions:

1. If WF058 Alloy gets to his final click, and uses "TIME TO GO SOLO!: When this click is revealed due to taking damage, stop turning the dial. You may immediately replace Alloy with characters from your sideline that each have a different name, the Metal Men and Robot keywords and are 50 points or less. These characters come into the game on their last non-KO click and are placed within 3 squares of the square Alloy last occupied. Place up to a number of these characters depending on the starting line Alloy began the game on: Yellow = 3; Blue = 4; Red = 7. If you do not place any, deal Alloy 1 unavoidable damage." to place Metal Men on the map, does your opponent score 275 victory points immediately? Are victory points scored only if the replacement Metal Men are all KO'd, or are victory points not scored at all for Alloy if he's not KO'd? Our judge ruled that you score 275 plus whatever Metal Men points if you KO all of the replacements.

2. NFAoS024 Winter Soldier has "DEADLY SNIPER: Winter Soldier can use Outwit and Ranged Combat Expert, both with a locked range value of 10. If he uses both in a turn, he must target the same character.". If I use RCE to blow out a wall 9 squares away (necessitating RCE, since Bucky's range is naturally 7), can he use Outwit on the now-exposed character behind the wall?

3. When is the proper time to 'declare' things? I'm thinking of a more competitive environment, so is there a rule of thumb for when you state you're using B/C/F in an attack, or selecting a TA through a wild card, and so forth?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Here are some random rules questions:

1. If you do not place any, deal Alloy 1 unavoidable damage." to place Metal Men on the map, does your opponent score 275 victory points immediately? Are victory points scored only if the replacement Metal Men are all KO'd, or are victory points not scored at all for Alloy if he's not KO'd? Our judge ruled that you score 275 plus whatever Metal Men points if you KO all of the replacements.
If you don't place any, yeah, Alloy is just KO'd, and your opponent scores him as usual. If he splits out, scoring is a little tricky - if you KO some but not all the Metal Men that replaced him, you score them individually. If you KO all of them, then you get Alloy's cost, rather than any points from the Metal Men. So, you'll never get more points than Alloy is worth, and there's a good chance to get a lot less.

Red posted:

2. NFAoS024 Winter Soldier has "DEADLY SNIPER: Winter Soldier can use Outwit and Ranged Combat Expert, both with a locked range value of 10. If he uses both in a turn, he must target the same character.". If I use RCE to blow out a wall 9 squares away (necessitating RCE, since Bucky's range is naturally 7), can he use Outwit on the now-exposed character behind the wall?
Two things: you can't use RCE (or CCE) to destroy a wall. RCE and CCE require you to target a character. Even if you could, he couldn't use the Outwit, since he'd already used RCE to target something other than that character.

Red posted:

3. When is the proper time to 'declare' things? I'm thinking of a more competitive environment, so is there a rule of thumb for when you state you're using B/C/F in an attack, or selecting a TA through a wild card, and so forth?

Well, it varies based on what you're declaring, but generally just say things before you use them. Technically, you can't declare Blades or Energy Explosion until you've actually hit with an attack, but most people declare them before making the attack. Wild cards can change at any point during your turn, but not during other actions, so just make sure you say you're switching before you would do something that you'd want a team ability for. As long as you're not at World's level, most people will be forgiving as long as you declare your stuff before rolling dice.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

1. If WF058 Alloy gets to his final click, and uses "TIME TO GO SOLO!: When this click is revealed due to taking damage, stop turning the dial. You may immediately replace Alloy with characters from your sideline that each have a different name, the Metal Men and Robot keywords and are 50 points or less. These characters come into the game on their last non-KO click and are placed within 3 squares of the square Alloy last occupied. Place up to a number of these characters depending on the starting line Alloy began the game on: Yellow = 3; Blue = 4; Red = 7. If you do not place any, deal Alloy 1 unavoidable damage." to place Metal Men on the map, does your opponent score 275 victory points immediately? Are victory points scored only if the replacement Metal Men are all KO'd, or are victory points not scored at all for Alloy if he's not KO'd? Our judge ruled that you score 275 plus whatever Metal Men points if you KO all of the replacements.

Alloy is not KO'd, he is replaced, and as such, your opponent does not score points for him. He would score each Metal Man KO'd after that, and if that total is less than Alloy's point value when they are all KO'd, he would then score Alloy's point value. For example, if you have a full 275 Alloy and on his last click only pop out a 25 point Mercury, your opponent would score 275 when KO'ing Mercury, since he's a replacement character who popped out of a higher point value character.

Red posted:

No, for two reasons. RCE specifies that you target a single character, so you can't RCE a wall, object, or square of blocking terrain. Even if you could, you didn't target the character who is now exposed, so you can't Outwit him.

Red posted:

This one's more complicated, primarily because it's always on a case-by-case basis.

You declare things when they become relevant as specified in the power. Blades specifies that you can use it when you hit with a Close Combat Attack, so you don't need to target someone, say "I'm using Blades," then roll. Energy Explosion says that you can use it when you give a character a ranged combat action, so you need to specify that you use it (technically) before targeting.

Same with defensive powers. Super Senses? You only get to roll that when you would be hit, so if they miss, no Super Senses, so if you have a bennie that pops whenever you successfully evade, it wouldn't happen if they just missed you normally unless your special power specifically says so.

Wildcarding is a free action, so you do it whenever you're not locked within another action, so take the following situation-

Spider-Ham
Doctor Octopus with the Original Sinister Six ATA
Somebody with Sinister Syndicate that has a higher AV than Spider-Ham

You can't have Spider-Ham copying the Sinister Syndicate TA swing, borrowing the AV, then switch to Original Sinister Six in order to put a token on them, because you have to resolve an action fully before giving any other actions.

Does that make sense? Like I said, this one's trickier just because it gets into the infinite maw of action resolution, which includes handy things like jumps and interrupts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

1. That makes a lot more sense. Even our judge and a few players talked for a while about Alloy before deciding the Metal Men were bonus points if you could get them all.
2. Ah, neither the judge nor I picked up on RCE being for characters only - but we did both agree that Outwit couldn't be used on a different target.
3. I don't think this sort of thing is a huge deal, but I also don't want to be surprised if/when I play competitively, or against someone who's kind of a dick.

There is one dude at a venue I go to who's wildly inconsistent with that sort of thing. One moment, he'll ask if he can take something back, and on the next turn, while I'm clearing tokens, but questioning out loud if I should've sidestepped, he'll tell me my turn is immediately over since I cleared, and I can't go back. I generally just play to have fun and pick up a new LE, and don't really care about W/L - but I enjoy beating people who are dicks. So knowing when to declare something would be useful when needed.

Can we bitch about venues and annoying player types? Because I totally could.

Edit: I want you guys to know I read/comprehended:

The Grammar Aryan posted:

You declare things when they become relevant as specified in the power.

That helps a lot. And it's good to think of it that way, because I know I probably wouldn't think of TAs properly, in the way you described.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 22, 2016

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

1. That makes a lot more sense. Even our judge and a few players talked for a while about Alloy before deciding the Metal Men were bonus points if you could get them all.
2. Ah, neither the judge nor I picked up on RCE being for characters only - but we did both agree that Outwit couldn't be used on a different target.
3. I don't think this sort of thing is a huge deal, but I also don't want to be surprised if/when I play competitively, or against someone who's kind of a dick.

There is one dude at a venue I go to who's wildly inconsistent with that sort of thing. One moment, he'll ask if he can take something back, and on the next turn, while I'm clearing tokens, but questioning out loud if I should've sidestepped, he'll tell me my turn is immediately over since I cleared, and I can't go back. I generally just play to have fun and pick up a new LE, and don't really care about W/L - but I enjoy beating people who are dicks. So knowing when to declare something would be useful when needed.

Can we bitch about venues and annoying player types? Because I totally could.

The big thing in 3 is that technically Shape Change procs on target, and is optional. If you legitimately forget that someone has Shape Change and an opponent rolls an attack and gets a result, you're past targeting, and are in the "check for hit" stage of attack resolution, which means you can't Shape Change now. A lot of the time people just let you roll the SC and let the result stand, but in a competitive environment, no, you don't. There's a little more leeway for Super Senses, unless you start clicking the dial. At that point, no, you can't click back and make your SS roll.

As for that dude? You can take free actions after end of turn stuff! So you can take one of those Outnumbered characters like the SM/WW SR Superman with one token, march him up next to somebody, end your turn, get your Outnumbered token so you have two, then free action to swing! Stupid? I certainly think so, but that's the official ruling. So technically you can clear, then Sidestep, then hand your turn off.

I know I've certainly complained about venues and players before, less so these days, because I've just stopped playing at those places/avoiding those people. I'm lucky in that I've got four other venues I can play at, though, which is definitely not the case for some people.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Grammar Aryan posted:

The big thing in 3 is that technically Shape Change procs on target, and is optional. If you legitimately forget that someone has Shape Change and an opponent rolls an attack and gets a result, you're past targeting, and are in the "check for hit" stage of attack resolution, which means you can't Shape Change now. A lot of the time people just let you roll the SC and let the result stand, but in a competitive environment, no, you don't. There's a little more leeway for Super Senses, unless you start clicking the dial. At that point, no, you can't click back and make your SS roll.

As for that dude? You can take free actions after end of turn stuff! So you can take one of those Outnumbered characters like the SM/WW SR Superman with one token, march him up next to somebody, end your turn, get your Outnumbered token so you have two, then free action to swing! Stupid? I certainly think so, but that's the official ruling. So technically you can clear, then Sidestep, then hand your turn off.

I know I've certainly complained about venues and players before, less so these days, because I've just stopped playing at those places/avoiding those people. I'm lucky in that I've got four other venues I can play at, though, which is definitely not the case for some people.

Good call on the freebie actions, I'll make sure to use that as much as I can for that guy.

My gripes for venues are as follows:

1. Not enough parking.
2. Not enough prize support - if you're regularly drawing 10-12 people every week, you could probably stand to order a little more.
3. If you have 10 tables in your venue for gaming, and there are 30 people in house for various events, you might want to set out table markers to reserve them for specific events ahead of time.
4. If you give more space to a certain event, tell the people running smaller events who are losing space or being moved, instead of putting it on the event-runner to apologize to everyone.
5. If buy-in is mandatory, you should offer a participation prize.
6. Don't abuse the judges, they're bringing you customers.
7. Free-to-borrow dice, tokens, and markers (along with commons left over from Battle Royales) are good to keep at the store.
8. You will make money on selling bottled water, iced tea, etc. Buy a mini-fridge. You will make money. Sell those mini cans of Coke for $1 each. You will profit.
9. Air fresheners, vacuums, Windex, and a few strategically-placed trash cans will make a big difference in how many repeat customers you get.

My gripes for other players are as follows:

1. Ask another person (a parent?) before you leave the house if you smell.
2. Don't swear. There are kids playing Magic over there.
3. Being polite and a good sport goes a long way. That also includes playing the same Chase(s) every week.

Now, that said, I really dig the two judges I play under the most, and consider them good friends. Furthermore, most players I play against on a regular basis are great, and I don't mind losing good games in the least. One of my favorite people to play against rarely puts more than 50 cents' worth of clix on the table, and wins regularly. Super polite dude, too - I learn from him every time I see him.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You can't take actions after clearing. That's the last thing you do. FI #006 Red She-Hulk has the only effect I can think of (maybe also something out of SMWW or WF) that takes place after clearing tokens. You cleared your tokens? It's now your opponent's turn.

As for Shape Change, one big thing that happens a lot is something like this:

:anime: "All right, I'll do Ranged Combat Expert on Captain Example."
:madmax: "O.K." <reaches for Shape Change die>
:anime: <rolls attack> "That's a 9 and it'll hit."
:madmax: "Wait, what?"

If your opponent doesn't do the courtesy of at least waiting for you to either clearly forget or waive the roll, he should let you roll it retroactively.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

From the 2014 rulebook:

quote:

EFFECTS THAT OCCUR AT THE BEGINNING OR END OF A ROUND OR TURN
Before the first player takes his or her turn in a round, effects that occur “at the beginning of a round” resolve. When a player begins his or her turn, first resolve and end all effects that last “until the beginning of your turn” or “until your next turn,” then resolve all effects that occur “at the beginning of your turn.” Game effects activated by free actions may also be resolved during the “beginning of your turn” or the “end of your turn.”

After a player has declared their turn over but before the next player begins their turn, first resolve and end all effects that last “this turn” or “until the end of the turn,” then resolve all effects that occur “at the end of your turn.” After all players have taken a turn in a round, effects that occur “at the end of a round” resolve.

So I can or can't Sidestep after clearing? Or during clearing. Or something.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

From the 2014 rulebook:

So I can or can't Sidestep after clearing? Or during clearing. Or something.

See, the "end of turn" part of your turn is still prior to clearing. See the following, from the 2014 Rulebook, page 8 (emphasis added).

quote:

CLEARING ACTION TOKENS
At the end of your turn, after you have finished taking and resolving all of your actions (including free actions that occur “at the end of your turn”) and declared your turn to be over, remove all action tokens from each of the characters on your force that did not receive an action token this turn. This is called “clearing” your action tokens.
You have to Sidestep/Outwit/Perplex/whatever before clearing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

See, the "end of turn" part of your turn is still prior to clearing. See the following, from the 2014 Rulebook, page 8 (emphasis added).

You have to Sidestep/Outwit/Perplex/whatever before clearing.

Lawyered!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Emma Frost preview, common and prime. Both are quite good, but three very interesting things have been revealed and completely uncommented-upon:
1) Optional costed traits are a thing now.
2) Stop clicks are an official game mechanic, keyworded as STOP.
3) Looks like the horrible ugly card redesign with printed dials got poo poo-canned.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

3) Looks like the horrible ugly card redesign with printed dials got poo poo-canned.

The next X-Men set was never going to have the new card style - they said in the article announcing the new cards that the Wolverine card they were showing was just a mock-up, and the style wouldn't be used until later sets. There was a picture from GAMA showing a Spider-Man card from Superior Foes (one assumes) that uses the new style. Thankfully, it's been redesigned a bit, and doesn't look as awful as the initial mock-up.

Take a look.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

The next X-Men set was never going to have the new card style - they said in the article announcing the new cards that the Wolverine card they were showing was just a mock-up, and the style wouldn't be used until later sets. There was a picture from GAMA showing a Spider-Man card from Superior Foes (one assumes) that uses the new style. Thankfully, it's been redesigned a bit, and doesn't look as awful as the initial mock-up.

Take a look.
Ugh. Still hideous. I especially like the giant useless 3d render taking up a fourth of the drat front.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Emma Frost preview, common and prime. Both are quite good, but three very interesting things have been revealed and completely uncommented-upon:
1) Optional costed traits are a thing now.
2) Stop clicks are an official game mechanic, keyworded as STOP.

I thought they said that card redesign wasn't actually coming in with this set and they instead showed it with a character from the new set to illustrate what it might look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Ugh. Still hideous. I especially like the giant useless 3d render taking up a fourth of the drat front.

Agreed- we just need a headshot, thanks, I don't need a full bust of the figure. It really chews up a ton of real estate, and when you've got dense blocks of text for traits and specials, that's at a premium. Hopefully the switch to specialist dial design rather than rainbow will help with that, but come on, guys.

I'm also digging the simplified wording for effects (STOP, in particular) and optional traits. There are a ton of figures who look overcosted, and fancy traits are usually to blame, so it'd be great to have those start becoming optional add-ons to the character, almost like Feats. Modular utility means more flexibility in building, and I'm completely down with that.

• Locked thread