Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

A) The STOP. wording really illustrates their need to come out with updated rules. How exactly are we supposed to read that? Can it be ignored?

B) I've already put in a question as to the "maximum damage taken" trait. Is it a reduction? Is everything above 1 being ignored? Does the character take 1 instead of a higher amount? These are important distinctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

A) The STOP. wording really illustrates their need to come out with updated rules. How exactly are we supposed to read that? Can it be ignored?

B) I've already put in a question as to the "maximum damage taken" trait. Is it a reduction? Is everything above 1 being ignored? Does the character take 1 instead of a higher amount? These are important distinctions.
A) I'm pretty sure it means that updated rules are so imminent they'll be out either with or before X-Men, which is why how conspicuously the preview didn't mention "hey check out that keyword there, that's new huh" stood out so much.

B) It's an ignore effect. If you'd take any damage for any reason from a ranged attack, you take 1 damage. But if you could soak it to zero with your imperv, you can still soak it to zero.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

To get a little more clear on this, "damage taken" is a specific game construct: it's the end result of the damage calculation step of an attack.

1: Target
2: Attack
3: Deal Damage- [Printed Damage] + [Mods] - [Reducers/Ignores] = damage taken
4: Click

So if damage taken has a maximum value, you would adjust it to that after everything else. If there's someone who has a special power that states "damage dealt cannot be reduced to less than 2", Emma would still take 1, because she isn't reducing that damage to 1, she's adjusting damage taken to 1, unlike Ulik from Hammer of Thor, who explicitly reduces damage to 1. The only thing that bothers her is Pulse Wave, but really, that's a given most of the time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Unfortunately, we're not getting a new rulebook/PAC in 2016. :argh:

quote:

When asked if we will be getting a new Rulebook and PAC this year, WizKids said "not in 2016". They stated that they are rewording a lot of powers to make the wording easier and more coherent, and clarified that they are not majorly reworking any powers. They are just trying to make the game more approachable and (presumably) word the powers and have them work more logically. I believe we are already starting to see some of these changes as they evolve (Note the "Close attack" wording in the TMNT previews).

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?&t=558750

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fuckity ding dong, WizKids. Two years without a proper revised rulebook, especially when you're making changes like equipped items and the size changes? :drat:

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
But why would you need a printed rulebook when you can go to the rules forums and search for people who already asked your question, and failing that, ask your own question which will likely be denied with no explanation?

This hasn't changed much from when I worked on HCO- when we had a question about weird power interactions, I would send the question off to a "rules liaison" who would then take it up the mountain. I'd hear back maybe a week or so later, and occasionally get responses that would conflict with past responses. Further questions would take another week or so to get back.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

ManiacClown posted:

Fuckity ding dong, WizKids. Two years without a proper revised rulebook, especially when you're making changes like equipped items and the size changes? :drat:

Yeah, basically at this point the only way to learn this game is get a time machine and start playing 5 years ago.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Looks like they've got some clarification on the STOP term.

http://heroclix.com/design-insight/design-insight-stop/#axzz43qkYEr1y

Basically, whenever that click shows up because of taking damage from an opposing character's attack, you stop clicking, and it can't be countered or ignored. So what this means is...

1: If you counter that Emma's Invuln on her next to last click and Force Blast her off of Elevated terrain, then she'll spin right past that stop click and KO.
2: She doesn't care about Pulse Wave. If you do a massive PW to knock her from click 1 to KO, she'll stop on that STOP power.
3: Future characters with STOP powers mid-dial won't stop on those clicks when being healed.

This isn't rolling back to previous stop click powers, though, which I'm sort of thankful for. The last thing we need is people playing things differently because what's on the card is different from errata, which causes a ton of problems for newer players when they get their hands on older pieces.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

But why would you need a printed rulebook when you can go to the rules forums and search for people who already asked your question, and failing that, ask your own question which will likely be denied with no explanation?

Hey, speaking of which, am I crazy in a heretofore unrecognized manner or does it appear that WK prunes the Rules Questions forum? I could swear I've asked a question about whether either Starro or Anti-Monitor (I can't remember which) can still act every turn without taking pushing damage but I can't find the thread. I searched for my username and only found four posts while I know I've made more. Of all the kinds of forum to prune threads from, this is exactly the kind where they shouldn't, yet of course they do. :allears:

Edit: Thread dates only go back to 01/02/2015. That's after their exodus from HCR, correct?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 25, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Honest to God, posting "oh lol here's a new game effect which we're not going to define either on the cards or in the rules" articles on their website is not cute, and they've done it like four times now.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, speaking of which, am I crazy in a heretofore unrecognized manner or does it appear that WK prunes the Rules Questions forum? I could swear I've asked a question about whether either Starro or Anti-Monitor (I can't remember which) can still act every turn without taking pushing damage but I can't find the thread. I searched for my username and only found four posts while I know I've made more. Of all the kinds of forum to prune threads from, this is exactly the kind where they shouldn't, yet of course they do. :allears:

Edit: Thread dates only go back to 01/02/2015. That's after their exodus from HCR, correct?

They definitely do prune and merge threads whenever they feel like and without warning. A friend of mine had a question on something that was clarified, and it had its own post for a while, but then it was merged into a more general post. It's really nice when you try to link out to a ruling post and it's been moved so the threadid doesn't exist any more.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They definitely do prune and merge threads whenever they feel like and without warning. A friend of mine had a question on something that was clarified, and it had its own post for a while, but then it was merged into a more general post. It's really nice when you try to link out to a ruling post and it's been moved so the threadid doesn't exist any more.

I'm seriously considering starting a ruling archive. I'd PDF each thread at its apparent conclusion, or maybe even each time they post in it.

Also, I'm considering starting a collaborative project to make an expanded rulebook using official text with community commentary added in because holy poo poo, the rules are turning into a loving shitfest what with not being able to use them to teach anyone.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2016

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I know we usually mock the realms fairly relentlessly but there is one article I've found shockingly useful. "Rules Recap".
It's just a copy past of all postings made on the WES that week, but it's so much easier then going through their forum.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:

I mean, :siren: NEW ARTICLE :siren:

Judging by the wording in this, it looks like the term "tactics" may be replaced with the term "add-on effect" when they come out with the new rulebook :doom: next year :doom:. Yeah, that "next year" bullshit's cemented it. I'm going to make an annotated, expanded rulebook, using all of the existing official text and supplementing it with as much material as my brain can handle. Anyone up to collaborate?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm a genuinely demented soul who enjoys editing. I will read your dreck and make it not dreck.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I'm a genuinely demented soul who enjoys editing. I will read your dreck and make it not dreck.

Oh-ho, another of my ilk!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTANCE ACCEPTED

Who else shall join our merry band of misery? :black101:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Count me in for editing. I'm not quite a rules guru, but I live to proofread. Will PM you my email address for future use.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Killer.

Can anyone identify the rulebook's font?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm more than happy to help read/edit from a medium-level player's perspective, and write simple stuff (that someone more knowledgeable wouldn't have to correct), too. I could take pictures as well.

Also: To understand the rules a bit more, and share dumb stuff like accessories, I started a little blog: http://clixkit.tumblr.com/. Please feel free to follow and correct me whenever you can.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Killer.

Can anyone identify the rulebook's font?

They're using the Helvetica Neue LT Std family of fonts.

Table of Contents: Helvetica Neue LT Std Thin
H1: Helvetica Neue LT Std Blk
H2: Helvetica Neue LT Std, with Bold styling
Body: Helvetica Neue LT Std

The Neue family is licensed, I think, so you're not going to find it in a standard word processing or desktop publishing application. Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this means they're using Adobe InDesign to create their documentation. I can only guess as to how horrible their source files must look, and explains the font error on the Black Lantern Anti-Monitor's dial.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this means they're using Adobe InDesign to create their documentation. I can only guess as to how horrible their source files must look, and explains the font error on the Black Lantern Anti-Monitor's dial.
Is anyone shocked at this point that WizKids is running a barebones and probably understaffed organization?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They're using the Helvetica Neue LT Std family of fonts.

Table of Contents: Helvetica Neue LT Std Thin
H1: Helvetica Neue LT Std Blk
H2: Helvetica Neue LT Std, with Bold styling
Body: Helvetica Neue LT Std

The Neue family is licensed, I think, so you're not going to find it in a standard word processing or desktop publishing application. Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this means they're using Adobe InDesign to create their documentation. I can only guess as to how horrible their source files must look, and explains the font error on the Black Lantern Anti-Monitor's dial.

Well, drat. I could probably, you know, find it just lying around somewhere, but I'd rather operate above-board with this. Suggestions on a close substitute?

For those interested, what do you figure is the best way to facilitate the discussion? Facebook group? For file collaboration, Google Drive? Dropbox? I have both.

Edit: Oh, and those callouts they'll do where they label something, like how it shows you what every part of a character's dial is? Rather than making all the text part of the image they use, they just did that with all the non-text part of it and seemingly made separate text boxes for each item because they all dump out separately into the document.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2016

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Is anyone shocked at this point that WizKids is running a barebones and probably understaffed organization?

Last I'd heard, they had 16 employees, which sounds high to me. A couple years ago, they were operating with 6 paid people and a heck of a lot of volunteers.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

Last I'd heard, they had 16 employees, which sounds high to me. A couple years ago, they were operating with 6 paid people and a heck of a lot of volunteers.

Well, they are expanding beyond just HeroClix. Dice Masters has a lot going for it, apparently, plus they're making regular board games now too. It'd be nice, though, if they'd throw at least one or two more people's worth of manpower at the game that made them what they are and is probably still their flagship property.

Because the annotated rulebook folder won't sync to my Google Drive for some reason, here's the folder as it currently stands in my Dropbox. Anyone who wants an invite to the folder so we can work out of it, shoot me your Dropbox address. I've formatted the entire rulebook save for the Line of Fire chart and the list of generic keywords, each of which will need an annotation by themselves. Anybody want to tackle the LOF chart? I need sleep.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Don't get me wrong, ID is actually a really decent DTP platform, but there are so many ways to abuse it that I just know they're doing.

ManiacClown posted:

Well, drat. I could probably, you know, find it just lying around somewhere, but I'd rather operate above-board with this. Suggestions on a close substitute?

For those interested, what do you figure is the best way to facilitate the discussion? Facebook group? For file collaboration, Google Drive? Dropbox? I have both.

Edit: Oh, and those callouts they'll do where they label something, like how it shows you what every part of a character's dial is? Rather than making all the text part of the image they use, they just did that with all the non-text part of it and seemingly made separate text boxes for each item because they all dump out separately into the document.

As for collaboration, I think Drive works best, since you can have a draft running and we can annotate and comment on it without making edits.

On the fonts: Google Fonts has an Archivo family that's pretty similar, and is intended for both web and print output, so that would be a good place to start. If you want to have them on your machine, you can go to the entry for it in Google Fonts, add it to your collection, and there should be a button that says "download my collection." Then you can just install the fonts as normal.

As for the boxes: If all of the callouts are showing up at the end of the dump file, yep, that's InDesign all right.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've downloaded Archivo and it looks good for the table. I haven't applied it to the other document parts yet. Here's the link. Anyone with the link can edit. For now, though, I'm trying to think if we should do endnotes within each section's file for annotations and commentary or have a separate file for each section. Thoughts on that?

Edit: I'm changing the fonts now. That looks FAR better. drat, do I hate Arial.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 26, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've closed all the files, so if someone wants to work on anything while I'm at work tomorrow, I could dig that. Somehow the formatting I did on about the last third of Part 2 disappeared, so that needs to be redone. However, I do think we should probably just do it all in whatever DTP program anyway. I've whipped up quick-and-dirty introductory section in Publisher for a rough idea, but I'm up for whatever format.

Edit: Part 2 fixed.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 27, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dipping my toe back into Clix when I find out there's a Spidey villain set coming soon :allears:

Does anyone know a rough estimate of when that set is coming?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Dipping my toe back into Clix when I find out there's a Spidey villain set coming soon :allears:

1) Hang three calendars up, one in front of another.

2) Throw a dart at them.

3) How far did the dart penetrate and what week did it land on? That Friday is your release date.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

While ManiacClown is likely more accurate, Superior Foes is currently slated for July. Going by recent patterns, that means August.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Right, so what sort of things do we need to include in the annotations? We should definitely include rules that have changed (like Size and a reworked LOF chart), but I think we should also include important rulings that when a newbie gets to a tournament someone's going to drop it on them and they'll be all :stare:.

Edit: Check the folder. I've laid out (fairly roughly, but at least that way it can't reasonably be confused for the real thing) the introduction and through the end of the official text of Part 2: the Core Rules.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Modern Age Rotation

Constructs are out for modern age starting June 1st, which is odd, because new OP figures use them. Oh well.

I didn't think GotG was getting phased out, and I'm bummed I haven't used DoFP stuff more often.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

Constructs are out for modern age starting June 1st, which is odd, because new OP figures use them. Oh well.

In fairness, nobody was going to use the WL Jade or Simon Baz in any kind of serious event.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

In fairness, nobody was going to use the WL Jade or Simon Baz in any kind of serious event.

True, but I hope they make a few more. I love that mechanic, and I have constructs-a-plenty.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

True, but I hope they make a few more. I love that mechanic, and I have constructs-a-plenty.

If the BatB OP kit Green Lantern is any indication, they're just going to keep making figures with construct slots but no construct trait.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If the BatB OP kit Green Lantern is any indication, they're just going to keep making figures with construct slots but no construct trait.

I'd like to say I'm fine with that, because it lets you insert constructs/markers/etc. as needed, but I don't know of any figure's construct slots that actually hold anything well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Modern Age Rotation

I didn't think GotG was getting phased out, and I'm bummed I haven't used DoFP stuff more often.
That's all the entities, Copycat, Nimrod, and the DoFP Sentinels all getting rotated out with two months to go.

That noise you're hearing today is the sound of literally everyone's Worlds teams going up in flames.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

That's all the entities, Copycat, Nimrod, and the DoFP Sentinels all getting rotated out with two months to go.

That noise you're hearing today is the sound of literally everyone's Worlds teams going up in flames.

That sound you hear is me squealing in delight cause things got 100% more interesting

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

run ms marvel or go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've started on annotating the rules, inserting sections between the parts of official text. I'm somewhat at a loss for how to get our parts to look distinct yet good. Have a look at the PDF in this folder and please, please give some suggestions. I'm working in Publisher, so if you've got something else besides its stock crap to use as a border, great!

• Locked thread