Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

I like that concept a ton - aren't there a few theme keywords that cross over?

- Ravagers
- Outlaws
- Edit: Atlantis

What else am I missing?

The Mage Knight set crosses multiple boundaries, with Amazon and Elf both showing up.
Duhg's Army, of course, lets you do whatever you want. I've played The Theme-iest Theme Team That Has Ever Been Themed, which is a 14-universe named theme team due to him.

If you want to break theme, you can have some fun doing things like merging the Brotherhood of Evil with the Brotherhood of Mutants, or running team 'different universe, same name.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Good news! WizKids is heading back to Gen-Con this year!

It's going to be pretty pared down. The current plan is to do battle royales, but no tournaments, and we'll be selling the con purchasables out of some other company's booth. Still, it's better than nothing... Origins is okay, but Gen-Con is the convention for me.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

LE Bystander Tokens to replace pog effects are a very cool idea (I guess they got sick of modders and poker chip printers eating their lunch), but I really hope they're a participation prize or something, because otherwise that's gonna be one gently caress of a booby prize.

I believe that we'll be handing out the bystander tokens in the same way that we did the ID cards last year - top half of side event players getting LEs, bottom half getting bystander tokens, and then battle royales being one LE and three bystanders.

Also, apparently my Joker's Wild event is scheduled for Origins. This is news to me! Guess I'll need to get to work on the deck...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We did a 300-point sealed with TMNT 3 last night, 5-8 boosters per person. I got super lucky, and pulled Shark Shredder, which was a big want for me, and one that I figured would be the hardest to get a hold of.

Ended up running Sharky, Space Raph, Casey, and a Kraang. Heck of a team for sealed, but I was judging, so I was just playing bye rounds. Still, that Shark is a freaking nightmare - free penetrating damage when he moves next to people, plus Charge and Sidestep to keep him moving, and giant size to make the break away rolls easier... gonna have fun with that guy.

Ultimately, the tournament was won by someone who was running Wyrm, Shredder Clone, and Space Mikey. Just too much damage that you don't have to roll for to handle, on that team.

A friend who'd owed me from the last Turtles set gave me Lord Dregg, and then I bought a gravity feed, and ended up pulling Space Leo (another huge want) and another Shark Shredder. So I'm halfway through collecting the space turtles, and have some good trade bait to try to land a Mini Shredder.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

The point cost is insane without the wild trait(s).

It took me a minute to figure out how this works, but it seems like I'll have to expect that this DP goes apeshit on the third turn.

Turn four, actually. He can't activate more than one title character ability per turn, so if he's going for the big 6-cost attack, that's three turns of the +1 ability to build up, and then he can fire it off.

I'm not really a Deadpool fan, but, man, I'm looking forward to a lot in this set!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had our pre-release tonight. Ten people turned up, so we went through one full case. One lucky guy pulled the ultra-chase, while the other brick had prime Dreadpool.

I ended up running Swarm, Cable, Grizzly, and Chipmunk Hunk, but I was just throwing down in bye rounds.

I love Swarm, but he really didn't pull his weight tonight. Most of that was on my dice; when he can't hit attacks, he can't make bees. Chipmunk Hunk was the MVP, landing lots of unexpected Quakes, breaking up formations, and once heroically wiping out a whole squad of squirrels that were about to form into a Fighting Squirrel Man.

Round one was against Dreadpool, Swordpool, and full power Doop. I started off strong and wiped out Swordpool, but then my dice went cold. I couldn't hit anything, and Doop kept managing to roll the re-position abilities on his chart to keep bees from Poisoning Dreadpool. Got slaughtered without hitting a single attack after Swordpool fell. Dreadpool's a terror, and Doop can be quite the game changer in his own right.

Round two was against three shifting focus Deadpools (he had two Gunpools, a Swordpool, and the Mercs bathrobe to switch around) and Mercs Foolkiller. He blitzed up with all three Deadpools, keeping Swarm tied up so he couldn't multi-target, and hoping that I'd miss attacks so Foolkiller could get his bonuses. But my dice came alive, and I didn't miss until all three Pools were dead.

Round three had me facing Dark Deadpool, Solo, a Rogue Scientist, a Ninja, and Squirrel Girl in the back slowly building up a squirrel army. The strategy to keep me busy with the front four until Squirrel Girl got dangerous was sound, but it did not work out. Cable blasted Solo, then Chipmunk Hunk landed a beautiful Quake to KO Solo and the Scientist, wound the Ninja, and knock Dark Deadpool out of Stealth so that he could get swarmed by bees. Then we spent a while learning that bees, chipmunks, and bears are all superior to squirrels in a fight.

This seems like a very fun set for sealed play. We've got battle royales coming up on Saturday, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with those!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

How did the ultra chase play? Did you get to see any games where that thing was on the board?

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch most games. From what I gathered, the unicorn got taken down pretty rapidly in the first round by a heavy ranged barrage (Cable and a couple others, I believe), but dominated its next two rounds.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Rules Part 3.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/06/heroclix-2017-rules-3-timing/

In which action order gets cleaned up and Poison takes a major hit to the dick.

Wow, this almost makes me hate the game. Beginning-of-turn free actions are some of my favorite combos. No more Sidestep/Leadership, Sidestep/ID card, Sidestep/Outwit/Poison... this feels more like a new player who had something done to them that they did not like, and so declared a house rule saying that nobody can do that. This is a massively-disheartening change.

I guess the only plus side is that the changes aren't final yet, so if enough people tell them how dumb this is for long enough, they might relent.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Now, that said, I feel like there are a mountain of characters with Sidestep or Outwit and Poison that just had their kneecaps broken.

Modern-legal, we are talking:

Sidestep/Poison - 76
Outwit/Poison - 45
Sidestep/Outwit/Poison - 20
Sidestep/Leadership - 84

So, yeah. Not small numbers. And, seriously, make some noise. We're not to the point where they've set these in stone yet.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Also of note is that Pulse Wave uses printed defense values. So, no Defending or Perplexing someone up from outside the blast radius, no Perplexing a target down with the attacker, or anything like that.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We did another auction event this past weekend. Ten players, each with a $5 bidding pool, working our way through a case of Deadpool, along with some X-Men, Age of Ultron, and a smattering of older boosters. As usual, the bidding took about three hours, and was a ton of fun.

Deadpool made for an interesting set to auction. The X-Force figures easily set records for the highest-ever bids on commons and uncommons, with Cable and Domino both reaching around $1.50. I didn't have much of a plan, coming in. I'd decided on a few good pieces that I didn't think anyone would care about to use as a base (Angel Dust, for example), and so started there. But, as things progressed, I started getting an animal theme going, although I lost out on the only Squirrel Girl that got pulled. Then Fenris popped up, and my plans changed. Spent more of my bidding pool than I wanted to pick them up, but they were one of the two super rares that I'd decided to pick up if they showed up, and I stuck to it. So I shifted to building a ranged squad, under the mistaken impression that Howard the Duck could use his damage power to shut off Stealth (darn you, requiring line of fire!)

I ended up running the mismatched menagerie of: Fenris, 2x Hit-Monkey, Howard the Duck, Tippy-Toe, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, a Ninja, a Rogue Scientist, vet Silver Sable from Mutant Mayhem, and a vet SHIELD Agent from Sinister. The idea was that Howard could shut off all the Stealth in the set, Fenris shoots with SHIELD and Hydra bumps, then the Scientist Outwits any reducers and the Monkeys follow up. Other than the Stealth part, the plan still worked, and as luck would have it, I only faced off against one Stealthy figure the whole time.

Round one was up against the common Storm from UXM, and then Hank Pym and a bunch of Ultron drones (Ultron-1 and Future drones at full, and some smaller ones). Tippy-Toe drew first blood, pinging Pym for a damage and knocking him off his good damage power, and he remained the target, since Storm was Stealthy and the Drones were hanging back until Ultron-1 could push to his special power that gives him a 50% chance of respawning them. Pym went down to a flurry of monkey bullets, and the Ultrons swarmed in. The game ended up being pretty even, with heavy losses on both sides. Thanks to respawning Drones, I won on points as time was called, but probably would've lost if it had continued.

Round two was against a full-dial main-mode Future Ultron (yeah, three SR Ultrons were pulled from, like, five Age of Ultron packs) and Cable, who would end up being the only Deadpool figure I faced all night. Two figures against a swarm of my size wasn't the best proposition for my opponent, particularly with all the Outwit I could access thanks to the Scientist. Had lots of figures get wounded here, but only lost the SHIELD Agent. Tippy-Toe landed a critical hit on Cable to KO him and end this one.

Round three... oof. Hercules, She-Hulk, and Ant-Man from Age of Ultron. Would've been a slaughter if I could've won the map roll, but he was themed, and so we ended up on a ROC map with all sorts of walls and small rooms. This started out VERY slowly, with lots of strategic positioning. I had a chance to swing things early, as both Hit-Monkeys were able to take shots at Ant-Man, but after lots of re-rolls, they both whiffed the needed 7. Retribution was swift and harsh - Hercules ran in and squashed the Scientist and a Monkey, and She-Hulk followed it up by taking down the Ninja. I started losing figures left and right, but I had plenty to lose. Fenris tagged Hercules to make him less dangerous, and Hit-Monkey finally managed to take down Ant-Man. Hercules got worn down, and good old Silver Sable was able to tag him to finish him off. She-Hulk was still sitting pretty after that, and my remaining forces were looking pretty ragged. Time was called, and although I won on points, I'm pretty sure that this is another one I would've lost if we had kept going.

It was a heck of an event... tons of fun, with some interesting teams and great games. I love being able to make old-school figures work for me in those auctions, and both Sable and the SHIELD Agent really pulled their weight and then some.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Do you have a breakdown of how the bidding and buy-in works?

Sure, it's actually pretty easy. This one was to celebrate our host's upcoming baby, so the buy-in was diapers and other baby supplies, but it is typically a $30 event. We go one booster at a time. Crack the booster, see what's inside, and then everybody bids for first pick from the contents. You don't have to say what you're bidding for - it's usually obvious, but sometimes you will see big bidding wars going on, with people actually trying to get different figures. We had one bid go up to about 90 cents, where most people were trying for a Domino, but the guy who won just wanted Phantomex. After that, it repeats for the second, third, fourth, and final picks. Whoever buys the final figure also gets to choose which booster is opened next.

To mix things up, we also have gravity feed boosters, which are always blind buys. Usually, you know which set you're buying, but not the figure. However, this time we had a blind box, full of all sorts of gravity feed boosters, and you were just bidding on a pull from the box.

Once everything has sold, which usually takes about three hours, you build your force out of the figures that you bought. Any leftover money can be used to buy a use of PC at 25 cents a pop, but other than that, it is a standard tournament at that point.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Had our Avengers/Defenders pre-release tonight. Don't know if it was lack of interest in the set, or what, but the turnout was the lowest for a pre-release that I can remember. Only had four people show up to play, and none of them were excited about it. Our pulls really bore out that lack of excitement - two super rares between the five of us (Moondragon and old man Cap), and one figure above 85 points (Count Nefaria). The highest-point figure from my two boosters was uncommon Hawkeye at 55... if I'd gotten to play, I would've needed to use 8 of my 10 figures to get to 300 points, but we had even numbers, so I sat out.

The games seemed to pretty much be all uninteresting slogs, with figures lining up to bump into each other rather than pulling any cool tricks. Nefaria seemed like he'd walk away with things, but bad dice and everybody else having to run a giant swarm managed to take him down a couple times. Looked like the big MVPs of the night were Moondragon and the Defend Dr. Strange.

The idea that this and Joker's Wild are likely the two sets used for sealed at Origins and Gen-Con is pretty depressing. Usually, when one side has a stinker of a set, the other side has something fun...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

He's talking about what he hopes is in the set before he starts opening boosters and it's kinda depressing cause he wants Xmen and Fantastic Four stuff because, as he rightly says, those are usually the coolest What Ifs and you know there aren't going to be any of the latter and probably not many of the former in there.

Yeah, don't expect any of the former. Marvel finally allowed the X-Men back into 'Clix despite not having the movie rights, but under the strict rule that sets either be all Avengers-type characters or all X-Men type characters, no mixing. That's why we didn't get a Deadpool with the Avengers keyword, for example. Sometimes, a figure can slip through (like Squirrel Girl), but this set is clearly falling on the Avengers side of things.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Oh, hey, it looks like WizKids reversed course, and we're getting proper tournaments at Gen-Con. Pretty much the same stuff from Origins, plus a WKO. Good thing I checked, so that I still have time to shift to making a more generic 'convention' deck for the Joker's Wild tournament, rather than making an Origins-specific one.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Sounds like What If...? got oversold, and my local shop is getting allocated hard. We're only getting one case shipped to us. I mean, I'm not all too enthused about the character choices in the set, so I wasn't going to buy all that much, but that's barely enough to cover one sealed event. To say nothing of the guys who were hoping to come up with a Goblin King before Worlds...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I'm heading off to Origins. If any 'Clix goons are going, I'll be the judge in the black hat and green dice necklace, running the side tournaments. Should be a fun year... between Deadpool Rules, Rumble, Power Outage, and Joker's Wild, we've got plenty of wacky events that should be a good time for all. And three of my friends are going for Worlds, so I'll get to live vicariously through them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Good luck to them! This year was always going to be a no show for me. No con's until my daughter is over a year old was the deal I made my wife. I have no idea what's gonna be the dominant thing this year except maybe Jakeem and good old Nick and his level 7 card.

Thanks! We've been putting in a lot of work over the past few months, fine-tuning teams and getting them ready. I think they've got a good shot, but time will tell.

As for what'll dominate, well, the Keychain Tank is going to be ubiquitous, but beyond that, it's tough to say. Bizarro Green Arrow seemed like he'd rule the roost, but the Tank really reduces his effectiveness. Jakeem is certainly going to make a showing, but I think the fact that everybody KNOWS he is going to make a showing will hinder him. Everybody worth their salt will have an anti-Jakeem strategy.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Overdrive on a lot of non-theme teams (or on theme teams, if someone is going with the LE Octopus gambit). He just adds so much mobility to pretty much any team.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Origins was a good time, at least 'Clix-wise. In general, it is a sad affair that was even more depressing this year, and only serves to make me love Gen-Con all the more. But, hey, there was some good 'Clixing!

My boys did alright in World's, or at least as alright as it is possible to do in an environment where Faust is still legal. They all managed to qualify, which was great, and then all three of them had stories about how their opponent locked them down for 5+ turns in a row with lucky Faust rolls. One of them just missed making the top 32. They did a lot better in Team World's, making it into the top 16, before the 1-in-45,000 chance of three crit hits in a row knocked them out of contention. Between that and Brock's winning team pulling 5 super rares and a chase from 6 boosters, it was a tournament for long odds...

As usual, the side events were where it was at (says the judge running the side events). Had a rocky time starting off, as the rules for the Rumble event were vague and sometimes contradictory, and some people came hard with the cheese, but things settled down as the week went on. Power Outage, Meteor Shower, and Joker's Wild were real highlights; both a blast to run, and ones that had people coming up to us later on to tell us how much fun they had.

The cheese level was a little higher than usual, but the events often let us smooth that over. My favorite was in Power Outage, where the guy at the top table was running Nick Fury, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Nighthawk prime, and KC Spectre... and the first thing we roll to shut off is Improved. That same guy came up to us later and complained about so many people 'playing the meta.' It was all I could do to wait until he left before rolling my eyes.

We had so many more than expected in Team Worlds that we ran out of Avengers/Defenders on Saturday, and then Joker's Wild early Sunday, so we didn't get to have any volunteer battle royales, but I had a blast helping so many people have a blast. Onward to Gen-Con!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I ran our Elseworlds sealed tonight. Had about twice the turnout of the What If...? sealed, which was nice. Had two chases pulled, Batman and Superman. Supes was pulled by the guy who just always seems to pull the best figure in sealed - same guy who got Goblin King in What If and Worldbreaker in Avengers/Defenders.

I had pretty good pulls, and we had an odd number of players, so I ended up running a team of Leatherwing and the Bat-God for the bye rounds.

Round one was against the common Wonder Woman, Marshal Diana, Nail Wonder Woman, and Another Nail Green Lantern. This is the team that actually ended up winning the event, and they gave me a tough time. I got to pick at them from range for a bit, taking out Diana before my opponent was able to attack, but then he dropped the common one in front of me, forcing me to either deal with the mystics or take a beating, while Hal kept Pulse Waving. My only saving grace was that Hal utterly sucked... he hit his first Pulse Wave to wound the Bat-God, but whiffed every hit after that. I took down the common, but then it was time to deal with the Wonder Woman from the Nail. Hit her to her STOP click with Robin Redblade, forgetting that doing so would give my whole team action tokens, so I couldn't follow up and Robin got pushed to death. It was a slugfest after that, but Wonder Woman went down to a lucky sword slash from Leatherwing, and Hal ran out of his charge tokens, so that was that.

Round two was against Dale Suderman, a Templar, another Marshall Diana, and Nail Batman. Dale zipped in for the alpha strike and pinged the Bat-God for 1, but that put him onto his Outwit click, so Leatherwing was able to blast Dale to the STOP click with some cannon fire, then since Dale's STOP is a damage power, Bat-God was able to Outwit his Impervious and finish him off. Templar was sacrificed to buy enough time for Batman to run up, and we had a big ol' Bat-fight for about ten minutes. Not much strategy, just tossing dice back and forth, and eventually the Batman knelt before the Bat-God.

Final round actually gave me the most trouble, which is rare when I'm doing byes. Sinestro, Nail GL, and Flashpoint Flash - pretty much a whole team that did not care one whit about my Stealth. Sinestro opened things up with a 4-damage Pulse Wave on Bat-God, but lucky for me, GL missed his giant reach punch follow-up. So it became a game of prioritizing the Stealth-busters... cannon fire took Sinestro off his Pulse Wave, and the Bat-God managed to RCE GL past his giant reach power, but right onto his 'super charge a friend' power, which he promptly did to the Flash, who smashed Leatherwing to his end dial. The subsequent damage to GL put him onto TK, with Sinestro also on TK, and me surrounded by objects. We took down Sinestro, and would've taken down GL, but Flash took the bullet and went into Sidestep/Outwit mode, which was enough to keep up with me and strand Leatherwing outside of hindering, but his dice went cold. Managed to take down the brave and the bold, but it was a very near thing.

The sculpt reuse is rather disappointing, but this set was a blast to play in sealed. Really hope that this ends up being the one that gets used at Gen-Con!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had a similar situation at my local shop. The boosters were kept on the wall of the back room, where we play, so largely unsupervised. Someone took to squeezing the tops to peek in, which was at least easy to notice, since all the boosters ended up with squeezed tops. So now all the boosters are kept back behind the counter. It's just better that way.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Out of curiosity, what are y'all's stores doing for the colossal op events? I went with constructed modern Marvel then DC for the first two and I want the Merc Jet and Titano to have more creative stips, but I'm coming up dry on ideas.

Gave out one of each last week, but it was special circumstances, as it was our annual memorial event for one of our players, and that always has a huge prize pool. 400 points, before each tournament round all the teams get laid out, and we have a random draft through to see what you'll be running. Can't pick what you brought, or what you've already played.

Haven't figured out what to do for the rest, yet. I want to do sealed to help recompense the store, but between Elseworlds and upcoming Thor sealed, that's asking a big financial commitment from the players. Maybe do a Thor super booster sealed next month?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Plus, we know that Groot Thor is a SR, and others on Realms are mentioning that there's also an Eric Masterson Thor. So, we might have a Superior Foes thing, where Spider-Verse was a chase theme, but was also spread throughout the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Today at gencon there was a 400 point TMNT tournament, to which I stubbornly brought the turtles because it's a TMNT tournament, dammit, I'm playing the TMNT. Sure enough, basically everyone else was playing shredders, although I did see one guy with Krang.

Came in third place.

Not that it mattered at all because we all got LEs, but I'm taking my moral victory.

To be fair, the guy who won that one was playing a TMNT Ally team. Granted, it was also cheesy as hell, but at least it didn't go to the Shredders. Saw so many of those guys this week...

I get to write the Origins & Gen-Con side event descriptions for next year, and will get to suggest which ones we do. I've always thought that a sealed event with old product (like, Collateral Damage or Mutant Mayhem, or something) would go over really well. WizKids might be open to it, but the only way that we could do it is if I supplied the product. So, just as a very early and informal poll:

If you were to go to a convention, would you want to spend 3+ hours playing a sealed tournament with boosters from a really early set? What set would you want to use?

• Locked thread