Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I played a Metropolis theme team:

Shifting Focus Superman
Lois Lane
Lex Luthor (WF:FF version)
Booster Gold
S.T.A.R. Labs Technician
Bizarro (25 points)
Black Lightning (from Batman)

400 points even. In retrospect I wish I'd had 3 points free to throw the JL52 ATA on Superman, because Lex hitting his Leadership rolls was a big deal when it happened, and also I rolled a lot of 4s for Leadership. Oh well.

Round 1 was against a SHIELD team of 50 point Iron Man, Sarah Garza, a Paranormal Investigator, Agent May, a Bodyguard, Gorilla Man, and one Multiple Man. He had nothing that could hurt me and he kept grouping up his figures no matter how many times I hit him with EE for it. Easy win.

Round 2 was against Morand and his stupid robot swarm. I knew I probably couldn't win, but those two successive screwups with Black Lightning hurt really bad, since his penetrating EE could actually put a dent in the swarm. At least I made him work respectably hard for his win.

Round 3 was against a Howling Commandos team of Winter Soldier, Nick Fury (with two LMDs), some Captain America or another, and a movie Howling Commando. That's a team that relies pretty heavily on stealth to protect it, and between eyebeams Superman and Lois, I really didn't care much about stealth. He did make a good second effort by swarming Lois in an attempt to bring her down, but instead just knocked her onto her stop click, whereupon I got to do the thing I'd wanted to do all day -- teleport 19 defense Superman next to her and start giving the rest of the team a 20 defense. Haha, that's what you get for messing with Lois fuckin' Lane. I lost Bizarro in the clean-up, though. Poor Bizarro, he always got KO'd.

Went 2-1 with enough points to win second place pretty easily. Stupid robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Krang's up! He's similar to Metallo but can also choose [WING] for his Attack power and he gets Prob. In addition to Krang they put up the Watch List for Q1, for which there are no additions. I'd actually agree with that, considering that I'm really not aware of anything that's really see-it-on-every-team game-breaking.

I will mention one thing I have noticed after looking in the HCR thread for the Civil War dials. Every character seems to be missing a listed Real Name. Between that and the fact that they don't seem to be putting the Split/Merge matrix on cards anymore, does anyone else think they're going to axe the Split and Merge abilities as of the 2017 PAC like how they discontinued Archenemies the year after the carded era hit?
I want that Krang. I want him so bad.

As for the watchlist, the stuff that deserves it right now is all getting rotated out, so yeah, letting it stand empty is fine. And I don't believe any movie piece has ever had a listed real name.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So today was TMNT release event day! The venue I normally go to posted, yesterday night, that the event had been changed from a sealed to a 500 point Modern; apparently they hadn't felt like holding any product back and had sold completely out of TMNT packs. Smart, guys. Real smart. So I went to the other nearby venue I like. We all got 8 figures and they still had cases, plural, left over. (I bought one.) So, yeah, dumb move other venue.

I pulled common Raphael, Casey Jones, Slash, Monsterex, and four assorted Foot ninjas. I was looking at the first four and wishing I could play them at 300 points and then I realized that 80 + 80 is 160, not 180, and I totally could do that. So I did.

Round 1 I had the bye.

Round 2 was against common Michaelangelo, rare Michaelangelo, common Leonardo, April, Splinter, Mousers Swarm, and I think something else, but I can't remember what. I moved up fronting with Monsterex and managed to provoke his swarm, which let Raph and Casey jump into the fray next turn, and they both used the Mouser Swarm to leapfrog over them and then hit April. Pieces started falling left and right (CGI Mikey is loving hard to hit), and I was soon left with only Casey and Raph back to back, which was awesomely thematic. Then common Mikey critted Casey right off the board, and it was down to just Raphael against an injured common Mikey and Mouser Swarm. Raph managed to hit Mikey before Mikey could hit him, and that's what put the game away, since the Mouser Swarm couldn't hit a 17 with combat reflexes.

Round 3 was against Krang and Metalhead. He went super aggressive and had Krang attack Monsterex, who made his Shape Change, so he had to settle for crippling Slash. On my turn Casey charged in just because I wanted Casey there to boost Raph's attack on the attacks that mattered, but what the hell, roll to try and get crits, right? Opponent decided to PC Casey's first attack. 2 damage against imperv, but sure, better try to make that miss I guess. (Casey hit both his attacks anyway, not that it mattered.) Then Raphael came in, hit both of his attacks, and Krang couldn't do anything to stop it. And then Monsterex followed up with a charge/flurry of his own and Krang went down in a single turn. My opponent was utterly deflated and he put up some token resistance with Metalhead, but i cleaned him up pretty easy.

Casey Jones and Raphael murder everything. Seriously. Kill them before they can close to melee range or you might as well give up right then, because once they're in close you have no chance whatsoever. They laugh at swarms and they laugh at tentpoles. FEAR THEM.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hell must have (appropriately) frozen over, because there's a good Iceman. Holy poo poo.

There's other dials here; a rare Iceman who's okay (he basically has the Wall construct as a trait and that's neat), a SR Beast who's quite good, and Malice, who's... interesting?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

The Turtle Van dial is on the realms and it's just perfect. I want it so bad.
THERE'S A PIZZA DIAL

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Here are Cyclops, Beast, and Angel from FF:UXM. That Angel is going to be this FF's FF: Chaos War Scarlet Witch.
He only gives the free charge to one of this ANX buddies, which is a major limiter on how gamebreaking he can be.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So the X-Men prerelease was yesterday, and quite frankly I thought I pulled garbage. I threw together what I regarded as basically the only playable 300 point team possible out of my underwhelming choices:

SR Beast
X-23
Thunderbird
Vanisher

For a 290 point team that broke theme with Vanisher because I ran out of X-Men and didn't want to play 50 points down. I figured I was ultra-boned and would be lucky to place in the top half.

Round 1 was against rare Cyclops, Pixie, and two Colossuses. I learned three things very quickly: Vanisher is an amazing taxi, Beast's "naw gently caress line of sight I'm gonna outwit everyone in an 8 square radius of me" power is really, really good, and X-23 is a murder machine. I had Vanisher bring everyone up so they were 5 squares away from the Colossuses, except for Thunderbird, who was within range. My opponent took the bait, having Cyclops shoot Thunderbird and then Colossus come up to paste him for the KO. I took the +1 to all my stats for the next turn and had Beast charge in for an attack that hurt decently, but its real effect was to put him within 4 of the entire team so I could shut down the defense on Colossus who'd hit Thunderbird, Pixie's perplex, and everyone else's move-and-attack. Then X-23 charge/flurried and only needed the first attack to KO Colossus. Cyclops ran, but Vanisher just followed him, carrying X-23, while Beast jumped around making Colossus and Pixie look bad. Cyclops couldn't run far enough to both avoid X-23 and stay out of Beast's outwit zone, and I ended up locking down his entire team and then bringing X-23 in to carve them into tiny pieces.

Round 2 against Sabretooth and Wild Child, Storm, Thunderbird, and Warpath. Sabretooth isn't so scary when his charge gets outwitted and he has to just stand there and get gutted by X-23. He did, however, manage a unique achievement: every other time in every other round, when X-23 charge/blades/flurried, her target died on the first strike and she couldn't use the second attack. Sabretooth was the only piece to need two stabs to take down. Storm couldn't do anything useful and Beast held Thunderbird and Warpath immobile until we could get around to murdering them in turn.

Round 3 was against Morand, playing Quicksilver, uncommon Sabretooth, non-prime Kitty, and non-prime Emma. He was very, very careful, counting out before the game Vanisher's move and then clearly marking the rows where Beast's ultra-outwit and normal outwit could reach. And so I decided I needed to throw a wrench into his planning and, when Vanisher moved up, I put Beast and X-23 behind Vanisher, two rows back from where Morand was expecting them to be. I knew he wasn't going to walk into my outwit zone and let me stand his pieces in place when he could have Quicksilver run in and leave speed shadows, and I knew that both of our teams were punchy and in a straight punch-up mine was better, so I wanted to make him keep Quicksilver away from the rest of his team so I could fight on my terms. And it worked, as he ran Quicksilver up to strike at my guys; he got a hit in on Beast but now he was half a board away from the rest of his team and within charge range. That meant that I got to try to hit him back; I think Beast hit but X-23 missed. Next turn he pushed Quicksilver to run away (I was betting he wouldn't do that or I would have outwitted his hypersonic), so I sent Vanisher after him to keep him occupied while the rest of his team came in to mix it up with my guys. Without Quicksilver around they didn't have a chance, and I was careful to keep Thunderbird in Emma's line of fire so she couldn't mind control Beast or X-23. I wrecked the rest of the team with X-23 continuing her oneshotting ways, and then it was just Quicksilver against my entire team, although Beast was banged up. Morand kept on attacking Beast, and knocked him onto a plasticity click, which was bad news. Vanisher carried the whole team over, with Beast basing Quicksilver so he couldn't get away so easy, and with the slippery bastard pinned down, I KO'd him the next turn (although he made his senses rolls three times, and finally went down to Beast, who with a 9 attack was the most unlikely one to actually hit him). Attacking Beast was a major mistake, I think, and it's one that all my opponents made. Yes, Beast has that outwit that you want gone, but he's hard to hit and has a deep dial. Neither of those things is true about X-23. She'll heal, yes, but she's fragile and she loses that charge/flurry as soon as you knock her off top click, and she's so deadly if you leave her alone.

So yeah, the team I thought was just making the best out of garbage pulls went 3-0, losing Thunderbolt once and with two clean sweeps. I am terrible at telling when teams are going to be good.

I got Dr. Nemesis and then we got to buy up the unsold boosters, I pulled another Beast, and traded him for vampire Wolverine. Yay me! Also, there was another team that went 3-0, but I beat it in points -- it had uncommon Juggernaut and Malice and would just throw Malice at the enemy to get killed and give Juggernaut uncounterable shape change, so no wonder nobody could beat it. I really don't know if I could have beaten it or not; it would have come down to a simple question of if I could pop his helmet off, and if I could, could I do it before half my team had been stomped into the pavement? Once the helmet comes off I can outwit him and carve him up, but until then I literally can't hurt him. Would have been interesting.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 2, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait so is the set still not out or just about out depending on deliveries? I sorta had the impression it was completely out since every figure has been up on the realms for a few weeks now and was balking at some of the prices for the SRs I want, set not being out would explain why even Pixie costs a shitload more than SRs usually do. Obviously over here in the UK we have to wait about 6 weeks for a set to come out after the US and the Realms are talking like it's out in the US so I just assumed it was.
It's officially out on Wednesday, but when product starts coming in ahead of time for prereleases people on the realms always open it up and start posting dials.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This whole thing's looking like such a shitshow, prize-wise. There's 6 monthly prizes of which you can win 3, max, at random, and there's 8 grand prizes of which you can win one. Whafuk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

And he's cheap, too!

Surfin' Batman, the Party Wagon, and Punisher's Van are the ones you can just buy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

They've reversed the ruling about Pulse Wave vs. Emotional Spectrum: Fear. The ruling is now that because you're not ignoring the Battery itself you DO get the -2 to attack.
I posted a reply questioning that, since while pulse wave doesn't ignore the battery it does ignore their attached construct, and characters without attached constructs aren't corps members and don't get Emotional Spectrum benefits. Stay tuned for them to deny the post because it's "not on topic" and refuse to answer.

edit: Called it. 2:27 PM, post denied beause "not on topic".

thebardyspoon posted:

Where is the latest pac to download? Am I being stupid? The one in the downloads section on the official website is from 2014 and its similar for hcrealms, am I just missing something obvious? My mate has one from the tmnt starter/board game thing but gently caress if I'm buying one of those.
You're not stupid, but you are missing something obvious: WizKids is loving lazy and hasn't put out a new PAC or rulebook for two years.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 17, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I can't read the card for Punisher's van or his weapons though.
Punisher Van has the usual "personal whatever" trait that means it doesn't break theme if Punisher is also on the team and the Ram ability. Weapons dial reads:

quote:

This resource costs 10 points and begins on its red starting line, or costs 5 points and begins on its blue starting line. Punisher Van may be played without paying this additional cost, but if you do, Weapons Dial is ignored. Choose 4 different Weapon object tokens and 3 different Weapon 3-D object tokens to assign to Punisher Van. When a Weapon placed by this resource is KOd, do not score it; instead re-assign it to Punisher Van.

quote:

Give Punisher Van a power action and choose a Weapon object assigned to Punisher Van of equal or less points than the Weapon Dial indicates. Turn the Weapon Dial a number of clicks equal to tha Weapon's cost, then place the Weapon adjacent. When you do and Punisher Van has a pilot named Punisher, you may place him adjacent. This action doesn't cause pushing damage. The Weapons Dial may not be used when it crosses the red line.

I can't read the weapons either; this is as big as I can get the image and it's still too small.

e: Here's the fronts of them. I can read these: they can't be added to your force unless you played both the Punisher Van and a Punisher, and can only be KO'd by being used in an object attack, so your opponents can't shoot them out from under you.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Remaining DC con exclusives have been previewed, with the exception of Ace (unless I've missed him).

I like Batman with a bomb the best, but that Arrow's got some potential.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent can you change the TMNT event to 400 points, the all four turtles/casey/april/party wagon team I'm dying to play is 400 points.

I just want to Party Wagon around Origins is that so much to ask

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Someone had way too much fun making these.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I forgot my bag full of purchasable exclusives after a BR and didn't realize it until three hours later. I was sure it was gone.

Someone had found it and turned it in to the WizKids booth, and I got it back. This game has the best player base in the world.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today I won a BR by tying for first place with 50 points and winning the roll-off. Still counts!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Where is that hat from. If I win worlds I am buying that hat and embroidering it
If you buy that hat I will take it to one of those places at the mall to get your championship years on the brim.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So I was playing today when apparently WizKids ran down to their last three maps and decided to do a traditional end-of-con "everyone stand up and start rolling dice" thing to give them away. First time, they tell us to roll, and don't say what for. I roll a 7 and think okay, if they say high or low, either way I'm good. They say everyone who rolled a 7, stay standing, everyone else sit down. 12 people are still up. They pair us up and say roll off, not saying what we're rolling for. I roll a 4. They say okay, low roll stay standing. 6 left. They pair us up again and say first one to roll doubles wins the map, go. So speed is also a factor now, since you just have to roll as fast as you can. I rolled a crit miss and that's doubles.

Final haul: Ace the Bat-Hound, Man-Spider, KC Hawkman, 2x Rocket and Groot, 3x Captain Cold ID, Phantom Stranger ID, Parking Garage premium map, 2x Batman with Shark, 2x complete set of ATAs and some more ATAs besides that, Dark Angel, Phoenix, Prime Poison Ivy, most of the UXM rares I needed, both UXM uncommons I needed, and assorted generics. Plus the Punisher Van, Batman with Bomb, and Arrow set I bought. Not bad at all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

Damnit, Andy, I still have that song stuck in my head.
What song? I don't know what song you're talking about.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCCQxVBfyM
Incidentally, the pint glass made it home without a scratch. I tetrised my bags so good.

So, one more story from Origins, because I forgot to tell this one. In my last BR on Sunday, the guy across from me diagonally pulls Condiment King. Him and the other two guys start laughing about it, making jokes all "well I know what's coming back to me" and "ooh Condiment King, what a stud", etc. I draft him when he gets passed to me. When the guy notices that Condiment King didn't come back to him after all, everyone asks why I took him. I tell them "you're all underestimating Condiment King, and I'm going to teach you to fear him". They laughed like I was making a joke.

By the time Condiment King force-blasted Major Force into a wall to kill him, nobody was laughing but me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

So after many years we're finally getting a new Carnage: http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/044-Carnage.jpg

:stare: He's a goddam monster is what he is; 100 points for a full dial of Blades, Plasticity, Shape Change, no attack under 10, who will never get an action token and constantly heal as long as he's hitting things. Deliciously gross
Yup, he's a blender set to Liquefy. Really good.

So I had a 400 point Turtle team I was dying to play and this weekend was 400 points, so:

Chase Raphael
SR Leo
Common Michaelangelo
Common Donatello
Casey Jones
April O'Neil
Party Van at 100

Round 1 was against a disgusting cheese team.

SI Dr. Strange with full Utility Belt
Felix Faust with Predator
Faust
Wong

Chatter after the event had wide agreement that this was going way, way too far and uncalled for. It beat me, but I made a pretty good show of it and might have actually won, but Felix Faust made a disgusting amount of shape change and super senses rolls. Oh well. gently caress this team and gently caress the guy playing it.

Round 2 against the Rogues:

Rainbow Raider
Golden Glider
Trickster
Captain Boomerang
Pied Piper

The Turtles went through these guys like a hot knife through butter. Either Mikey or Raphael were flurrying them to death or Leonardo was Bladesing for 5, but it was just OHKOs left and right. Even with Rainbow Raider draining the entire team for the whole match and going down last, it wasn't even cute. I just basically marched across the map, through all his guys, and ended up in his starting area dog-piling on Rainbow Raider.

Round 3 against an unconventional Justice League
SR Batman from WF
Lex Luthor
Mary Marvel

Couldn't outwit Batman or Mary Marvel, so that left Lex, who I simply took all his toys away from. Batman doesn't take it well when four dudes charge up in his face and they all have no problem hitting an 18, so he went down first. Then I took away Lex's defense and killed him too. That left Mary, and while one-for-one she's an easy match for the turtles, I had her outnumbered and she could only make one attack per turn while my team was an absolute blender once it got into range. After I knocked her off Hypersonic it was all over.

2-1, didn't make second place because the Rogues were underbuilt. Also, in addition to the cheese team, two other teams used the Utility Belt and another team used Phoenix Force. I'm getting a bit pissed off at this venue and seriously considering bringing hard cheese until they calm it the gently caress down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'd say yes, because Sandman explicitly reappears at the beginning of the turn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Krypto ignores shape change.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Umm... holy poo poo, where did this Hydro-Man come from? He's terrifying on his own and the new best friend of every piece who gets supercharged in water terrain.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Calling in Nick Fury is dumb and non-thematic and lame, I'd leave the points empty but if you have to do one, do the Torso.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Superior Foes has been entirely spoiled on the realms. Anyone have any thoughts on the set?

It looks like a very punchy set, not a ton of range. I really want that new Baron Zemo, he's going to make the new thunderbolts we got in civil war sing.

Morlun looks to be king of sealed though
Fast Forces is spoiled too. Green Goblin's a bit of a dud but the other 5 pieces range from solid to excellent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

new rules from wizkids regarding sidelines and visible dials on cards

http://heroclix.com/uncategorized/heroclix-rules-addendum-visible-dials/
Why was that second rule necessary? Were people bringing Galactus on their sidelines just for intimidation purposes? And what possible good did it do, let alone being disruptive enough to need a ruling?

Also I got my case today and I'm very happy. Spider-Punk as my chase, Devil Dinosaur, Spider-Gwen, sketch Morlun, Doc Ock, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, Ares, and Anti-Venom , plus I'm only Puff Adder and Moon Knight away from a complete CUR set. At the pre-release I traded for a Spider-Knight and pulled Spider-Man 2211 and Captain Stacy, so that's both chases I wanted and all the SRs I really wanted, although looking at the setlist afterwards drat this set is stacked on SRs, there's still some good ones I don't have.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Anybody else got a bunch of Stilt Men pieces that can't connect up? Bought 3 along with the rest of the set and none of the leg pieces attach to the base at all, they have little patterns that seem to make it like only one way fits but every single one is off slightly so none of them fit together.
Oh my God yes, none of them fit. I can make lovely joins to Stilt-Man himself work, but loving nothing actually fits to the base.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't know if they demand tithes but Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Black Adam are all pretty directly empowered by pantheons who like being sacrificed to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Games can't end in a tie, if you're tied on points it goes to roll-off. How do you have a tie?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

New TMNT previews! Fugitoid and the saturday morning cartoon turtles, who have the best traits ever, they killed me, I'm dead now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Why mod it when you can spend $130 bucks for a foot tall, die-cast transforming Leopardon! :shepspends:
That is in fact less than what we got quoted for a Leopardon mod.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

If you find a modder, please let me know. I'm very, very interested in how this proceeds.
I have gotten frustrated at how all the "best" heroclix mods would get laughed out of the room in any semi-casual Warhammer meetup and decided to try it myself.

Step 1 is to spend a bunch of money and then try repainting a regular Spider-Man to still be Spider-Man, just to see if I can do it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Speaking of upcoming things. Why has no one posted about Renet Tilly. It's like vanisher and scarlet witch had a baby

http://heroclix.com/teenage-mutant-...l-renet-tilley/
Also the baby cost the same as playing either one separately and is going to be on every Worlds team next year.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is still ridiculously cheap.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't know what was winning, but I'd sort of like to try out 12 Atoms and see what happens now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Round 3 versus Gotham City Underworld

Lex and Joker
2 Central City cops
Hired Henchman
Owlman
Lt. Gordon
Worlds Finest with just the Huntress clicks

I think that was everyone. I lost map roll amd ended up on the bridge

Because I forgot that ace grants IT:Himdering
You forgot Ace and then immediately mentioned him! I played the Owlman Is Bribing Everybody Underworld team, it was what Morand said plus Ace the Bat-Hound.

My plan was that between Gordon, double sidestep, and a 7 range, Lex and Joker have a threat radius of 19 squares, I had 3 enhancers, 3 police TAs, and 3 Outwits, plus Ace having whatever damage power I need, so basically I clump up and kill your entire team before you could even dream of making an attack. It worked super great except for that last round.

Round 1 was against a Spider-Man family:
common sfoes Spider-Man
Spider-Girl
Spider-Knight
Spider-Gwen
Madame Web
Black Cat
asm Scarlet Spider

This was a kid who's also relatively new to the game and he played like it. He moved his team up at random, not even taking advantage of Spider-Knight's ESD, which would have helped him a lot, and ended his first turn with Gwen and Knight both wide open for Lex and Joker, who took advantage and one-shotted each of them right off the board. It was a turkey shoot the whole way through and lasted maybe 5 minutes. Afterwards I showed him his guys' traits and urged him to pay more attention to stuff like that; in future rounds I heard him mentioning both Gwen's immunity to precision strike and the Knight's ESD, so he listened, which made me happy.

Round 2 was against the Heroes for Hire:
Hercules
She-Hulk
Luke Cage
Black Knight
Iron Fist
Human Torch (from secret invasion! that was old school)
Daredevil

He played smarter than the kid on his first turn, but still left Hercules and She-Hulk in my range -- I just had to sidestep up a bit to get to 'em and plan ahead a bit because Owlman and the Henchman had to move up first and be in place for when Lex and Joker came in, so I had to know where they were going. Oneshotted Herc and She-Hulk. He got me back with a lovely EE on both my cops from the Torch. That cost me a cop (Lex and Owlman made him take their damage too) and crippled the other cop and Ace. With one cop dead and the other on Empower instead of Enhance, it took me longer to shoot the rest of his team dead, but I still did it. I did lose the other cop in the process when Lex and Joker got hit again, but no big deal.

Round 3 was against Morand's accursed turtles. It was a close game, I really didn't do anything wrong, and yeah I missed some attacks that were hittable, but gently caress, so did he. What I think got me, in the end, was the stealth: Yeah, I could get around it with Ace, but doing so meant I had to get within 6 squares of his guys, and my team thrived on shooting guys from far away. Being forced into relatively close range meant that retaliation was actually possible, and the rest of the game followed from that.

I ended up losing second place by less than 50 points. loving Morand.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The "A Simpler Time" trait name does suggest to me that these are supposed to be mystery men of the 1930s, not superheroes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

160 is a bit high to not have indom, though. You're gonna need the barriers to keep him from getting shot at when he's just sitting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I made a team. Andy believes they aren't spooky enough but I disagree.
Sharks are not inherently spooky but werewolves are, decreasing werewolves decreases spookiness. I stand by this.

• Locked thread