Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Let's start this thread off with team talk!

Local place is doing 2015 points, only thing banned are feats. Winner gets Deadshot and the ability to create an event for the store to run next year. I won last year with Zombies. This year it won't be quite that bad.

What would you run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, definitely. You can probably buy CUR sets for past releases for a pittance and then just cherry-pick the SRs and chases you really want/need.
HCRealms? Or here, ask us stuff.

All solid advice.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

I made the most joyous face reading that team list.

Morand, please please please run Team Mean Green 2015.

I don't have most of those hulks :(

I'm leaning towards a swarm. Most builds end up with 27-30 figures. The venue loves tentpoles and a well played swarm usually baffles them

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Oh, Andy, you know I am naught but your greasepainted trickster god. Also, videos aside, I did too have those links in the OP! I'll use this list as a starter for the second post, though. Also also, good eye on the feats. I'm too tired this week. Morand, how are you on Iron Men?

Varies. I had to sacrifice a loving ton of older stuff to fix a chimney awhile ago

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

My top vote is Ultrons, though Hydra+Hand, SHIELD, or Kree would also be great fun. I think more defensively oriented themes would wind up dragging the game out way too much.

I did consider the Ultrons. I've played them quite a few times though and they basically play the same at any point value. They are a fantastic swarm but it's not much more then sidestep, everyone shoots, things die

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Sinister Six OP set incoming:

That Ock sculpt is pretty meh.

It's a repainted spider-bot. There are 0 new sculpts in that kit.

Here are dials.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8536612&postcount=1

Morand fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 24, 2015

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Tournaments are a large part. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from having home games though. We are just a prize motivated player base.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Just bought myself a Brainiac Retail Ship and Brainiac Entity with Christmas cash

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was the annual 2016 year end game.

I bucked the trend of powerhouses and ran Apokalips

SLOSH Darkseid at 350
Brimstone at 275
4 SM/WW Parademons (should have been 5 but I forgot one in my bag all 3 rounds)
10 TW Main set Parademons
8 B&TB Parademon Grunts
Lydea Mallor
Steppenwolf
Brutaal
A belt with all but one slot on Darkseid

I probably should have read that we were limited to 8 actions in a turn cause that boned me pretty hard.

Not gonna give a rundown of all the rounds because I couldn't remember the exact teams if I tried. Andy did get his rematch against Apokalips with the Justice League in the third round.

He ran

SM/WW Lex
TW Superman
TW Wonder Woman
TW Batman
JL52 Green Arrow
WOL Guy with Scissors
Big Barda
Mr. Miracle
Orion
TT Cyborg
Wally Flash from Flash
TT Green Lantern
Sister Superior
The leadership boosting ATA on everyone

There may have been more. I won map because with a +27 you don't need to roll unless they have 18 dudes.

I chose the garden and moved up cautiously with Darkseid and Parademon screeners. Brimstone also moved with screen and Brutaal came up. He had guy carry everyone after Superman rolled leadership. I went agressive trying to nail superman with Brimstone as I'd have a 13 on his 20 but could not missed. Moved up a ton of Demons as well to follow up later. The league ended Brimstone in a turn. Sister superior gave everyone a plus one attack and he unloaded with psyblast and superman. The generics took a massive beating from Green Arrow's EE. Lex also took shots. I outwitted lex's mastermind and had Brutaal hit for 6 and some healthy demons finished him off. He had superman try to come down to hit Brutaal but I made shape change. He then had Orion do a RS next to superman and hit Darkseid for 6 since he had Superman Ally. That hurt. Couldn't even use my mastermind since that's a defensive power I can use. The demons then exploded along with my dice as Orion died in a turn as well as batman and green arrow. Guy and flash managed to hurt Brutaal badly and Barda did a DPA to knock me end dial. Lydea moved up to base lantern and Wonder Woman and actually plink wonder woman for 2. One generic hit superman for 2 after invincible. Darkseid outwitted his Impervious and another demon hit for 4 more. He burned so much PC to KO Brutaal, even leaving superman exposed. Lydea managed to give everyone a -1 and Superman was KO'd which dropped despair. Time was called and I won on points thanks to that KO. Andy wanted to keep going to see how it would end. I couldn't though. We decided it was still 50/50 as the league was beat up yes but I was low on generics. Darkseid was going to heal with the belt when he could and depending on that that could have been big.

Amazing nail biter of a game and Apokalips is now 6-0 with the Seid, Wolf, Brutaal combo

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

It turns out WizKids is going to make Gale Force 9-style markers, though with a base on them so a character can sit on them and weight them down. They'll also serve as markers to indicate certain powers active, apparently. I guess they're going to come out in an accessory pack at first along with one on X-23 in the Uncanny X-Men Fast Forces.

I like this as an idea. As yet another thing to fit into my clix bag it makes me weep

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was 500 points. I was lazy

Skull Ship at 450
Bizarro at 50

I decided I wanted to play drone games

Round 1 versus
250 point Enchantress with belt
Black Alice
Nightshade
Faust
Shadowpact ATA on all

I held back and tried to spawn drones but he came right for me. The Skull Ship then just started single targeting PWing everyone and KOing them one at a time. Bizarro got hit once but that was it

Round 2 versus
Zombie Super Skrull
Copycat
Evil Deadpool with full Phoenix Force
Blind Al
Groot from GOTG

Hi I'm a new player who's just learning the game. My loving rear end you are. He did take Bizarro with copycat.

Anyway I won map roll and chose the prison. I then proceeded to sit in my starting area and spawn drones while my opponent farted around breaking walls. Eventually I got all 8 out. He still tried to break walls. He did eventually come and try to take a shot on copycat with Super Skrull but I hit shape change. My drones murdered his Groot and time was called. I am ok with a win like this against a team like that.

Round 3 versus Deity

Hades
Artemis
Hermes

I lost map and ended up on the avengers tank map. He would not let me spawn drones as he'd heard they were mean. He came right for me and Artemis managed to hit me off top dial due to clever positioning, but she knocked me onto power reclamation and I healed up. Took shots and lost bizarro to Hades who became a suffering soul. Had Hermes down low but he ran to his snakes. Ran over and used tentacle attacks to KO the snakes and make more drones which Hades murdered with PW. Artemis had the misfortune of always seeming to be nearby when I was on steal energy or reclamation and I just kept healing. Eventually it was Hades versus the ship and I managed to get it done.

So the ship is fun but I think a tentacle/drone strategy might work better with it as a vehicle. They just need to make me a LOD and robot keyworded Brainiac.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Heroclix.com has previews of the generic Witch and Warlock as well as Jason Blood and Etrigan. PLUS there's a definition of a new game term "Unique Modifier" which is basically just standardizing some poo poo which is useful.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So it looks like I'm gonna play in an actual ROC super qualifier. 400 Limited.

My first thought on building some teams is that 400 is waaaay too easy to break.

I made this without even thinking.

Nick Fury x 2
Jason of Sparta
Captain America
General Lane or Bucky

Soldier theme. Good luck if I win map.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The Grammar Aryan posted:

There's an ROC Super Qualifier coming up in Durham on the 23rd that I'm going to. Current scuttlebutt is that the team to beat is a full dial Nimrod with Juston Seyfert. I gotta admit, that pairing's going to blow up a lot of stuff, and unless you really, really screw up or crit miss constantly, it's going to be an uphill battle for your opponent.

The 2 nick team would wipe the floor with that team. No pulse wave, hypersonic, new directive, or Juston outwit if I am running General Lane, I'm going to own half the map and say you can't target me so there will be no moving up and punching me. Next turn you are going to take 10 clicks of penetrating damage and I am going to further counter everything you have. No way to heal means I win.

That said, if you aren't running an eye team specifically built to screw monsters like that? I agree that things could be very difficult. 3 attacks a turn are nothing to sneeze at.

CapnAndy posted:

Seems like a Green Power Battery shuts that down quick enough.

It's limited format right now. No resources. Only ATA's, Themes, and Bystanders.

Morand fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2016

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So no posts about the amazing Poison Ivy they previewed yesterday?

Hi. I'm poison Ivy. I'm going to Mind Control your Superman to paste your batman and then he's going to base me. Did I mention he can't attack me now and if you attack me I'll be borrowing his impervious on top of my senses and shape change? No? Too bad.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Well the incoming blizzard has nixed any chance of me making the ROC event on Saturday so I figure I'll share the three teams I was considering with you guys in case you are going to the Catskills or North Carolina.

Team 1 Nicks (Soldier Themed)

2 Balls of Fury
50 point Cap from the original Avengers Fast Forces
Jason of Sparta
General Lane OR Aldrich Killian
Gamma Bomb

Basically you own half the map, can counter anything, and have a turn of nope you can't target me. Laugh so hard at Nimrod teams.

Team 2 Debuff (No Theme)

Red Son Wonder Woman at her lower value
Rainbow Raider
Nighthawk Prime
Dr. Demonicus
Atomica
A 30 point Ultron Drone (Probably Age of Ultron for me)
Gamma Bomb or Helmet of Fate

The idea here is that Rainbow Raider hands out a -1 to all combat values. Attack anyone not named Wonder Woman, and feel free to enjoy an extra -1 Attack and Damage and Nighthawk says you won't be modifying any of this back up. Demonicus's pogs become nigh unhittable with a -2 attack and a +3 defense from the doc's +2 and WW's +1.

Team 3 Koriander (Warrior Theme)

LE Koriander
SOG Starfire
Red Hood and the outlaws TA x 2
Rocket Racoon
AOU Thor at 100 (Jonah Hex also a possibility)
Damaged Warbot
Bat Signal
Damaged Warbot
2 FI pogs

The Outlaws ATA is an amazing overlooked TA. Says that you can't have LOF drawn to you by their highest point character. With their respective outsider TA's they don't care about any Nighthawk prime debuff nonsense. Thor can drop Jane or Jonah can drop the doc. If you get too hurt a pog can batsignal you on back to be healed. My buddy showing me this team is why I considered putting Aldrich on the Nick Force instead of Lane. It is literally the only way the nicks have a chance against this team.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Figures.com got a WF Brick to open. They revealed the dial for Will Magnus (Gives Metal Men avengers/jla ta effect), Monsieur Mallah with detachable Brain, and Alloy who can break off into other metal men instead of being KO'd

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Scott Porter did another unboxing today. Opened a Supergirl as a female fury. No dial info but an amazing trait and special power.

Trait - When Supergirl hits with an attack, after actions resolve give each hit character an action token. If one or more hit characters were unable to be given an action token, remove an action token from Supergirl. If one or more hit characters can use the Batman Ally, Justice League, or Superman Ally team ability, heal her of one click.
Special attack power - Scatter the human rabble: Supergirl can use Super Strength and Quake. When Supergirl has 2 action tokens, she uses Quake as a free action.
Starts with 12 Running Shot, 11 Psychic Blast, 18 Invincible, 4 damage.

Apokolips continues to be the most amazing army. Sadly they are very much an army and not a strike force. Critical mass needs 800-1000 minimum. As it goes higher it only gets more ridiculous.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

200 on the nose.

3 lines . 200/150/100

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Chase KC Wonder Woman gets reviewed.

Hahaha. 140 points for a 13 attack. Why the hell not.

Serious note I do like then 25 point effect. I thought they were going to make her an entity which would make me cry but making her an uber medic that then decides she needs to kick rear end is ok with me.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Hahaha! I'm counting this as a win by proxy. And you didn't steal anything, I posted it and said feel free to use and you did! Congrats on the win!

I played in the Super Q in Durham over the weekend, despite the horrible sheets of ice, and decided to steal Morand's double Nick soldier team, with Lane instead of Killian. Let it be known that if one Nick can get the job done, two Nicks can clean the map handily. And yes, I laughed heartily at a Juston/Nimrod team that nearly threw in the towel when I ported up the map and completely shut down his team. I definitely wouldn't have done nearly as well if I had gone with the Amazons team, especially with the low turnout- only 11 players altogether.

Top 8 were-

A Super Skrull/Mole Man team with Engineer and Copycat- this is the one I wound up losing to in the prelims, then beating in the finals, but Copycat stealing Jason really hampered things for me.

A Spy team with Nick, Blind Al, Agent 13, Fantomex, and Monica Chang.

Four Red Tornadoes, eaten alive by the aforementioned Super Skrull team.

Two Juston/Nimrod teams

A Juston/Ragnarok team with some filler, whose player kept trying to tell the Juston/Nimrod players that since they didn't state who Juston's Sentinel was at the start, couldn't use the Sentinel trait.

A team that had two Ultron (Futures) on table and other bits, but I never played against, and got pasted by a Juston/Nimrod team.

And me. Thanks, Morand!

So, I guess I'm going to the regional in Atlanta now? I'll need to get actually good at building serious teams in the next few months.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey goones, I'm thinking about getting into heroclix because I am a giant nerd, and it's kinda cheap to start + I love the characters already.

I live in Madrid and there seems to be a healthy community.

My question is, which starters should I look out for? There's a dude selling the Avengers Movie starter but that seems pretty old. He also has the AvX x-men starter (is this a thing or is he unclear and selling something else?) And the hobbit starter. I'm hitting a few stores after payday to see what I can find, too.

Or should I just buy a few single pieces first and wait for a future starter/forget about it?

I think they are finally putting out a new rule book and starter sometime this year so I would wait for that. In the meantime just nab pieces that look cool or ask us what works and we'll help.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

mercy

one of my all time favourite figures was the DC10 batman who had a 12 attack for 63 points along with incap and outwit and for 3 fewer points these are close to being as good

are these in boosters or are they going to be a special pack?

Boosters. Out of my 2 pre-release boosters I pulled all 4 shifting focus supermen. I was not the only one to do this either

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Mostly. You get five of the six chases. Most reports I've seen indicate that Superman is the odd man out.

I've heard that there is a second God Pack with all primes and superman. It's all hearsay though. Not seen a picture.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You guys kind of want that Kyle Rayner if you are at all a fan of the character

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I played in three pre-releases because my weekend was free.

I learned that if I am not at my normal venue I roll and pull like absolute dogshit!

First venue I ran

Eyebeam Superman with all his sideboards
Prime Ivy
Mentallo? (Doom Patrol guy)
Occultist
Black Cat

Rolled lots of 3's and 4's and my opponents made lots of defensive rolls and I went 1-2 which wasn't fun. Ivy was my absolute stud with her Mind Control but my dice just poo poo the bed hard.

Second Venue I did a little better

Major Force
Klarion
Poison Ivy

Lost my first round against a Mary Marvel who would not miss. Won my next 2 games pretty handily and even got to do a 7 square poison once. Klarion's cat was the best secondary attacker I could have asked for, he had a massive KO list.

Today I did completely amazing

Pulled 2 SR's out of my boosters in the form of Alloy and Platinum. Ended up running Alloy at 200, Platinum, and Tin.

This team was rock solid. Alloy had either a 14 AV or 21 D depending on what I needed. I even surprised a few players by perplexing alloy's range to 6 and getting a shot they thought they were safe from.

I got that bye round 1 so I never played Andy so who knows what would have happened! In my head I need to win map and choose a wall filled indoor map to limit his yo-yo. If Alloy can get first hit with his ultra? That's basically game as he gets knocked on an 18 invuln click with charge. If he doesn't miss and I get knocked off my 11 with perplex click? I'm hosed and he's gonna win.

But enough of that. The post game was more awesome! The store had extra boosters and let us buy extras from which I pulled even more SR's! Joker, Mallah, and my very own KC Supeman. Yeah I'm done with pre-releases I think.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So I gathered a couple of friends to give my new minis a spin in our first game. I've read the rules and understand most of them so I'm confident in that I can explain the game to them rather well.

Now, we'll probably end up with 3 guys, counting me. Is there any special rule for a 3 player game? Should we just go free-for-all, or is there a way we can play 2v1 that is actually balanced? Specially keeping in mind I only have like 20 minis for us 3, and all of them are trades I made for a boardgame. I tried to grab pieces that were rated as good in hcrealms, marvel universe, and modern era.

There's no specific rules for 3 player games. I've never enjoyed anything that wasn't 1 v 1 just cause I find that it normally becomes 2 v 1 and then 1 v 1.

If you want to straight do a 2 versus 1 then the only fair way I can think of to do it would be to give the one double the points you get. So if you each are doing 300 he'd get 600.

Honestly I'd just do some 1 v 1 games until you get the basics down. Then figure out if you want to do 3 player games

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Wizkids just previewed the other half of the WF fast forces. I personally love the weapon drop object. It's a less convoluted and less broken utility belt.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Yeah, and I'm really impressed by the Batman and Nightwing they've got there. For 125 points, you get a decent, flexible Batman, a Nightwing with Sidestep, Leap/Climb, Outsiders, and can copy the Batman TA, and that weapon drop object. That's a whole hell of a lot of utility for the cost.

Every Nightwing in the set has been completely rock solid. The main set one is no slouch either!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Was the Wonder Woman/Superman set produced in very small quantities or something? It's the one set I didn't bother getting anything from as I had little money at the time and I meant to get a CUR set from ebay later but there's none of those and even the sellers I usually get some stuff from have just a few rares for high prices this far out and no SRs, one is even selling the basic commons for £4.99 each which is pretty crazy.

I have a pile of extras from that set sitting in my car. If you pay for shipping you can have them.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I'm up for that, thanks. Would you be able to guesstimate how much shipping would be? I'm in the UK, it's fine if that makes it not worth the hassle though.

Alot? I'd expect 40-50 American?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

What's the pile like? Might still be worth it maybe. Thanks for the offer in any case anyway.

I'll look through it tomorrow

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I dragged my extras out of my car.

It's a mix of Nick, TW, SM/WW and such

Notable pieces include prime Atom from SM/WW, Rare Thanos from GOTG, Captain Marvel Prime from same set. TW SR WW.

A pile of cur's from each set. I'll basically charge shipping to take them all off my hands.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Take it all or take none. It's in a giant bag and I don't want to sort it all out.

First Dibs to Bardy as he was first to ask. I'll shoot you an email, if you don't want them then Maniac can have them.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Found some more extras. Add SR Faust to the pile of notables in my big pile of extras

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Today was 600 point gang fight. One person on your force had to be over 100 points, everyone else had to be less then 101.

I traded for all the metal men after pulling the 2 SR's last pre release and I ran them

Alloy at 275
Doc Magnus
Mercury
Copper
Lead
Iron
Gold
Platinum
Tin

I just wanted to see if the Metal Men could hang in an event. They did so well in the pre-release I had to try.

Round 1 versus

Nekron at 600

I won map roll and chose the prison to limit him taking shots at me before I was ready. I basically clumped up around Platinum on my side of the map. Managed to get first shot with alloy but lost platinum to his next strike. Knocked him to blades and he went for Tin, with everyone taking a penetrating click as he rolled low. Alloy came in and hot for 5 more. I lost Mercury before it was all said and done but the Metal Men were able to take down Nekron.

Round 2 versus

WOL Hal Jordan Parallax
OP Kit Amanda Waller
OP Kit Deadshot
Bucky
Bronze Tiger
HOT Jimmy Woo
Green Lantern Ring

This was a team by a new guy and he had a plan with it which is more then I usually see him having his teams. He used Amanda to give the squad keyword to Parallax so Amada could leadership tokens off him and get nano bomb bonuses. Sadly he made several misplays during the game. I won map roll and chose the prison. He could have blown up walls to remove tokens all the time from Parallax but never thought of it. He moved Deadshot well into charge range and lost him to Alloy. He outwitted charge when I had 2 tokens. The list goes on. I took his team but lost nothing. This summary sounds obnoxiously arrogant but the recap wouldn't be much more then, and then he moved up and I killed a thing over and over.

Round 3 versus Mystical
Malekith at 350
JL Enchantress at 50
Klarion the Witch Boy
Apprentice
Dr Strange with Eclipso equipped
Bat Cowl as relic

Won map roll again and placed us on the prison. Slow start as he tried and failed to nab the cowl with Malekith and I stayed bunched up. He was able to take a shot on Alloy and hit my 22 with Malekith. I took 5. Ran back to the doc and was healed for 4. He positioned a bit and Malekith ended Iron, he then perplexed his defense to a 20. Doc managed to hit an 8 and put alloy top dial. Alloy and tin perplexed my attack to a 15 and hit Malekith with an ultra heavy. Did 6 after impervious failed, took mystic click. Copper moved up and based most of his team with platinum lending out an 18. He popped off teekl to try and hit copper. Copper hit SC though. He managed to hit alloy onto a sidestep and responsometer click. I sidestepped, nabbed a heavy and finished off Malekith. Doc then healed alloy top dial again and that was basically it as he'd lost his biggest offensive threat.

Finished 3-0 with 1799 points. The metal men kicked all sorts of rear end and I was amazed. I remember them being an awful joke team and now they are ultra cost effective. Did not play Andy, he lost in the first round to the Mystical team I beat in the finale. He had a hydra squad that was built to ruin high defense teams and would have been very difficult to beat.

Morand fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 8, 2016

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Opened a case last night and was a little disappointed. Didn't get either the SR Batman or Superman, but I did get the duo. Chase was Wonder Woman, my least wanted KC figure and Prime was Superman, my least wanted Prime from the set. A lot of collecting ahead.

Any interest in doing a prime for prime swap? I've got poison ivy's coming out my ears and kinda want that Superman.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Already have a Poison Ivy on the way, actually. 5 bucks on Ebay was too hard to pass up.

Anything else you are looking for? I've got a buttload of CUR from this set. Feel free to PM

Morand fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Silliness aside, you can now double up on cards that have good effects to maximize the power that lets you choose a different inspiration and let everyone use it. Superman and Wonder Man? OK my whole force has invincible their whole dial now. Shazam and Captain Marvel? Sure hope you like my whole force having Quint/Power Cosmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

"Targeting the square" is only a thing with Telekinesis, I think.

I think your judge is right. Although it shouldn't be, because it's still a close combat attack and those don't require line of fire.

Characters occupying a square within x squares and LOF may be targeted as if they were adjacent.

You aren't drawing LOF to the character, its the square they are in. The judge was wrong. Stealth offers no protection against giant reach

• Locked thread