Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

skeptic22 posted:

I saw this guy's "argument" being used a lot in high school/college debate in favor of nuclear war saving the world. Very detailed if you need to mine for plot.

http://www.foundationwebsite.org/TheEndOfTheWorld.pdf

Holy poo poo that article is trash. Some of the assumptions he makes are just glaringly dumb, and I'm sure I'm not versed enough in a lot of the areas he dabbles in to pick out nearly all of them. The one that stood out especially was his assertion that within years (of 2000) it will be trivial for non-state terrorist groups to manufacture nuclear suitcase bombs powerful enough to devastate cities. Oh, and not only get a few one-offs to throw at Tel Aviv or whatever, but make THOUSANDS of the loving things.

Meanwhile, actual nations with a strong interest in getting just 2 or 3 nuclear tipped medium ranged ballistic missiles continue to have problems with every step of that process, especially the miniaturization that would be vital to making suitcase bombs in both the power and quantity required to kill off a significant chunk of the human species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread