Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Semi-realistic option: Contaminating hormonal contraceptives. Take a job in a contraceptive factory and add a dosage of something that makes you infertile to the batches. Spread your work out and stay on the move, so that it looks random and people don't manage to connect the dots. Effects on fertility must be very slow, so that it's harder to track the fertility decline to the source. If you do it right and use multiple people you can render hundred of millions of people infertile before they catch and fry you. This plan is very popular with mohemadan terrorist customers. $99 for the full blueprints.

Unrealistic option: Political accelerationism. Get Trump elected, let him burn it all down. Post soviet-collapse Russia had a huge population decline and is full of ghost villages and cities, reclaimed by nature. Works like nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bad day posted:

Yeah I had thought of this scenario before I saw the series and it kind of felt like they were reading my mind (actually it's just an obvious combination of conspiracy tropes) but my story involved elites hiding themselves in bunkers and I was trying to think of how they would realistically go about doing this, if Alex Jones et al were actually right. In the scenario presented in Utopia there's no reason for elites to sequester themselves so that would not work.

I think the general motivation would be that wiping out 2/3 of humanity would forestall climate change, especially if you decimated most industrial and population centers. You wouldn't want to use nuclear weapons but kicking up dust would be no big deal as the preselected survivors are sealed away in self sustaining capsule communities for a decade or more.

What's the point of preventing global warming, when you have to kill 2/3 of the world population to do it? It's not like earth will become uninhabitable at +2 degrees. Life on earth will adapt without problem, it's just that a lot of people in poorer countries and all of the world economies will suffer in the process and we want to avoid that. But if you are willing to kill a couple billions and annihilate the world economy anyway ...

• Locked thread