Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

You should read the Apocalypse Triptych. It's a set of three volumes of short stories about the end of the world, and each author has their own take on what causes it/happens. The first volume is stories about right before what happens, the second is stories that take place during, and the final volume is stories about living in the post-apocalypse society. Some of the authors continue their storyline through each volume, while others are one-offs. It will give you a wide-ranging look at all kinds of ways that human civilisation might end.

You could do a pharmaceutical angle. Antibiotic resistance is growing at an alarming rate, and we're now finding resistance to some of the "last line of defence" antibiotics we have. We're not really funding the development and research of new ones and haven't for the past 30 odd years since all the money is in psych drugs, obesity, and cancer.

Also seconding the mad cow type idea - prions are loving terrifying. We used to think that they were not easily transmitted (eating infected brain tissue), but recent research in the last few years has shown they can be transmitted through aerosol particles, and there's preliminary research on their transmission through water reservoirs and crops (due to prions being found in manure) and infertility treatments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

bad day posted:

Yeah I had thought of this scenario before I saw the series and it kind of felt like they were reading my mind (actually it's just an obvious combination of conspiracy tropes) but my story involved elites hiding themselves in bunkers and I was trying to think of how they would realistically go about doing this, if Alex Jones et al were actually right. In the scenario presented in Utopia there's no reason for elites to sequester themselves so that would not work.

I think the general motivation would be that wiping out 2/3 of humanity would forestall climate change, especially if you decimated most industrial and population centers. You wouldn't want to use nuclear weapons but kicking up dust would be no big deal as the preselected survivors are sealed away in self sustaining capsule communities for a decade or more.

The dust would be a big deal in the sense that it would drastically change the planet to which the survivors would someday return. You'd essentially be freezing and choking everything, killing off a large portion of plant and animal life, etc. The survivors wouldn't just walk back out into a lush, happy world. Plus, given that it's not really been tested before on a large scale to see what kind of problems pop up, the chance of those survivor communities not dying off for various reasons is pretty low, especially since there is no safe place to go if something happens to their self-sustaining capsules. Then once it's safe for people to go back outside, the world is going to be very different.

• Locked thread