Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

meselfs posted:

Trangia + methanol.

I know it kind of sucks, but I love it and have a soft spot for this kind of ancient technology :). The reliability and the fact that it'll work pretty much anywhere is worth something.

Awww yisss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I have a Whisperlight, a Primus and a Coleman white gas, but I almost always end up taking an alcohol stove made out of a Bud bottle and use Heet yellow bottle as fuel.

https://youtu.be/Ty13Im0wBhU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
i have a microrocket and a bunch of diy alcohol stoves. if you're buying a pocket rocket spring for the microrocket, its a lot nicer.

anyone got some good+cheap no-coating aluminum cook pot reco's? i thought this would be a simple thing i could go to a store and buy, but nope.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've heard that a Walmart grease pot is the gold standard for that

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've been using an unadorned aluminum Trangia 2 liter pot for several years and been fairly pleased.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Free Market Mambo posted:

I've heard that a Walmart grease pot is the gold standard for that

It works pretty good, not the strongest thing out there, but it's light.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
sweet, ordered the last stanco grease pot on walmart.com since none of the locations around me had one. think i'll have any luck fitting a small canister and a microrocket inside of it?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

*Edit*
I don't think that Stanco is the same one, this is the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Grease-Dipsenser-Quart/dp/B0018EA048

It's 6"h x 5"w, with a gas canister you have 2" of height left to play with, I can't tell you if the Microrocket will fit like that, since I have the Classic Trail and I've never put that in it and can't find the drat thing right now, but my bud lite bottle alcohol stove, lighter, cup and spork all fit in with room to spare. I keep the lid secured with a shock cord and line lock.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 29, 2015

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I do not camp because I find it boring but I recently camped because I wanted to make food outside. For this purpose I ask my redhead friend for his stove. It was small and made a blue flame because it burned a gas. I used the flame to heat a pot where I first boiled water to make tea. Then I used it to heat bullion cube and water then added vegetables I brought in my backpack and some beancurd (no meat because I was afraid of diseases I would get from meat left uncooked too long). It was good eat so I think camp stoves are good now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, Krug.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Nothing beats an old-fashioned camp fire IMHO, OP.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Get thee to the campfire thread

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Whisperlite Int'l has been bulletproof. I've taken that thing everywhere. Good stuff.

Bone In the Morn
Feb 25, 2006
Dragon Fly .... drat!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've had 'campfire' as my main with an esbit for backup but having a campfire isn't always a given and the solid fuel tabs I have smell like picked fish assholes. Gasifier stoves seem cool but 70 bucks is more than I want to throw down so I made a hobo one out of cans for like four bucks. It seems to work alright in backyard burns, maybe because I cut my hand while building it and inadvertently performed some sort of blood ritual to infuse my stove with the spirit of an ancient and primordial gorp-based deity. Maybe.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

My go to, for 2 days. just enough fuel easy to start comes with impressive tin.

For serious poo poo I have a Trangia X2 that I got at a garage sale for 20$. Dump unleaded/kerosene/whitegas/orphans, will still boil water.

The dragon fly and whisperlite are two awesome al around stoves.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Retarded Pimp posted:

*Edit*
I don't think that Stanco is the same one, this is the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Grease-Dipsenser-Quart/dp/B0018EA048

It's 6"h x 5"w, with a gas canister you have 2" of height left to play with, I can't tell you if the Microrocket will fit like that, since I have the Classic Trail and I've never put that in it and can't find the drat thing right now, but my bud lite bottle alcohol stove, lighter, cup and spork all fit in with room to spare. I keep the lid secured with a shock cord and line lock.

That pot looks a lot better shaped than the one I got. Think it would fit a small isopro canister? And do you know what it weighs w/ or w/o lid by chance?

Nopon
Dec 27, 2003
Meet you at White Hen, fags.
I run a cat can stove with tin foil wind screen, grease pot, and HEAT for fuel.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Uhhh heat isn't a fuel, it's the product of the fuel burning :v:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

alnilam posted:

Uhhh heat isn't a fuel, it's the product of the fuel burning :v:

He's burning Carnots :science:

He means Heet.
http://www.amazon.com/28201-Gas-Line-Antifreeze-Water-Remover/dp/B0016GXNC4

Or is that :thejoke:

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

I have a Whisperlight, a Primus and a Coleman white gas, but I almost always end up taking an alcohol stove made out of a Bud bottle and use Heet yellow bottle as fuel.

https://youtu.be/Ty13Im0wBhU

Those two burner propane Coleman stoves are all I ever really use, if not just a wire rack over the campfire~

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I use a Vargo Hexagon in titanium because where i camp has a lot of groundlitter and this works with esbits or paraffin too

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon-backpacking-wood-stove.html#.VrQAO1grKao

folds flat, pretty easy and boils water fast enough

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

sky shark posted:

I use a Vargo Hexagon in titanium because where i camp has a lot of groundlitter and this works with esbits or paraffin too

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon-backpacking-wood-stove.html#.VrQAO1grKao

folds flat, pretty easy and boils water fast enough

I have had no luck with mine, what kind of stove are you using in it, or are you burning wood?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

wood, esbit cube / bbq starter, or those liquid parrafin candle

usually just wood though

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sky shark posted:

wood, esbit cube / bbq starter, or those liquid parrafin candle

usually just wood though

Ah. I only tried wood a few times and it worked, but only in the most technical definition of "worked". It would be nice if one was stuck in the woods I guess but i cant get it to burn any better then a soup can rocket stove. And I have tried a bunch of different alcohol stoves and it fails pretty hard at being a windscreen too. I really want to like it but I am never impressed by it and should really just sell it and buy a Caldera Cone to fit my pot.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I love rocket stoves but the bulk and weight are so terrible for backpacking. I wish someone would come up with one that can be broken down easily. I went to a local outdoors show last year and one of the booths had rocket stoves made out of ammo cans that had to weigh 30lbs because it was all welded steel plate on the inside.

I've built one out of a number 10 can & soup can in the past but it was too big to be practical.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goddamn if that's accurate that would pretty much double my pack weight. No thanks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sky shark posted:

I love rocket stoves but the bulk and weight are so terrible for backpacking. I wish someone would come up with one that can be broken down easily. I went to a local outdoors show last year and one of the booths had rocket stoves made out of ammo cans that had to weigh 30lbs because it was all welded steel plate on the inside.

I've built one out of a number 10 can & soup can in the past but it was too big to be practical.

Yeah, that has been my experience as well. I had such high hopes for the Vargo. I might try making a restrictor plate to cover some of the holes on the bottom so I can experiment with airflow.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, that has been my experience as well. I had such high hopes for the Vargo. I might try making a restrictor plate to cover some of the holes on the bottom so I can experiment with airflow.

I've seen some nice woodgas stoves which break down, not exactly the same, but similar fuel source/applications.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

If you don't give a poo poo about leave no trace or are on your own land, and the soil conditions permit, you can build a Dakota style stove: http://survivaltopics.com/the-dakota-fire-hole/

Operates sorta like a rocket stove, but more effort.

Does anyone else subscribe to the primitive technology channel? This video was pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sweet man-child tree fort.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sky shark posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about leave no trace or are on your own land, and the soil conditions permit, you can build a Dakota style stove: http://survivaltopics.com/the-dakota-fire-hole/

Operates sorta like a rocket stove, but more effort.

Does anyone else subscribe to the primitive technology channel? This video was pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

I have made a pretty rough hole-fire before. It worked ok but we didn't build it deep or big enough. I might mod the firepit in our yard with an buried air inlet pipe this summer when I do the annual digout and cleanup.

I have a big stack of cinderblocks, bricks, and such that I use to make grills and smokers for parties and love nothing more then spending a summer day drinking beer and making dumb stoves.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

So remember I was talking about the super heavyweight rocket stove I saw at a show?

Yeah, found it on Amazon today: http://www.amazon.com/Minuteman-Rocket-Stove/dp/B00QHEMCS6

14lbs without fuel. gently caress carrying that thing.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are the pocket stove fuel cube things all putrid smelling? Or did someone just give me old rotty stuff? For a bit I thought I forgot to wash a pan or something, before I found what the smell was from.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Re: coffeechat: Like all good bandwagoneers, we got an Aeropress when they first came out and went through about two packs of those little paper filters before we got fed up with only being able to make two small cups at a time. However, with the addition of a stainless steel filter, it has become an essential backpacking accessory. It's probably the most lightweight way to make actual coffee that you would want to drink. Plus all the parts kind of nestle into each other with enough room for a small Ziploc of grounds.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

Are the pocket stove fuel cube things all putrid smelling? Or did someone just give me old rotty stuff? For a bit I thought I forgot to wash a pan or something, before I found what the smell was from.

People all say this, but I can't detect any smell from them at all and it really worries me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Epitope posted:

I thought a rat died in my HVAC system until realizing the wrapping on a fuel tab had been punctured at the back of a closet. I don't use that poo poo no mo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You guys meant like the little white esbit tabs, right?

I literally only get a faint chemically sharp odor from them. :ohdear:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
that zenstoves website is a treasure trove of good info, here i am drilling holes into household items and turning everything i can find into alcohol stoves.

Epitope posted:

bongwizzard posted:

You guys meant like the little white esbit tabs, right?

I literally only get a faint chemically sharp odor from them. :ohdear:

there's 2 kinds, the cheap ones you get at army surplus stores smell worse and let off toxic fumes. esbit ones shouldn't smell too horrible but they'll still coat your cookware in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The ones that stink are the army surplus trioxane. Esbits shouldn't smell much, if at all.

• Locked thread