Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Trangia + methanol.

I know it kind of sucks, but I love it and have a soft spot for this kind of ancient technology :). The reliability and the fact that it'll work pretty much anywhere is worth something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Butch Cassidy posted:

Build a fire and hang a billy like a man, you pussies.

Out of snow on a barren mountain?

Stove-related: though I won't go far from home without a Zippo (especially after forgetting it on Mt Adams and begging neighbors for any firestarter to melt snow with), I think this thing is super cool:

You press the button and a tiny hot spark comes out the other end. I haven't used it much yet, but it seems to light alcohol in pretty much any condition (intended for gas though).

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Killing Flies posted:

...though you DO have to worry about toxic fumes of you burn HEET, and it'll also blacken the hell out of your pot.

You only worry about toxic fumes when it's not burning, and it won't blacken anything. Cleaner burning that ethanol (everclear), it's one of the cleanest burning liquid hydrocarbons you can get. Might you be confusing it with Iso-HEET?

• Locked thread