Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I'm glad that Brendan is getting released. I worry for him though. Living almost a decade in prison has probably severely affected his mental health in a negative way and I can only hope he can cope with his life out of the prison system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Is the Alford plea basically just "Look, we locked you up but can't really prove you did anything, but you can't prove we did anything wrong, so we're gonna let you go, but you can't say we were wrong and also you aren't really acquitted." ?

Like it's just a face-saving measure for a hosed up prosecution? That's the impression I got when the WM3 were released.

^ Same. But, he just needs consistent support and care from friends and family. Wait, oh...drat.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 15, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is he too old to be put into a foster family? I'm only half kidding.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ninjahedgehog posted:

Finally some good news to come out of the lovely, horrible, awful week. Somebody get this guy a kitten and some Wrestlemania DVDs, stat. :3:

Good news the WWE Network has all the wrestling Brenden will ever want, and just in time for Bill Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is he too old to be put into a foster family? I'm only half kidding.

I hope someone starts up a crowdfunding page to buy him tickets to Wrestlemania.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Is the Alford plea basically just "Look, we locked you up but can't really prove you did anything, but you can't prove we did anything wrong, so we're gonna let you go, but you can't say we were wrong and also you aren't really acquitted." ?

Like it's just a face-saving measure for a hosed up prosecution? That's the impression I got when the WM3 were released.

^ Same. But, he just needs consistent support and care from friends and family. Wait, oh...drat.

It protects the state's attorney and the state itself from being sued for messing up, because you claimed you did it.

A lot of times what happens is that someone has been in jail for years or decades and it becomes clear that they are innocent. They can either waste more time in jail, get a new trial, go through the trial, hope to get acquited and then maybe have a reason to sue. Or, they can go free now, but admit that they did it so they can't sue.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Gross Dude posted:

It protects the state's attorney and the state itself from being sued for messing up, because you claimed you did it.

A lot of times what happens is that someone has been in jail for years or decades and it becomes clear that they are innocent. They can either waste more time in jail, get a new trial, go through the trial, hope to get acquited and then maybe have a reason to sue. Or, they can go free now, but admit that they did it so they can't sue.

Somehow it doesn't feel like justice.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are you actually saying you did it, or is it more that you're not saying you didn't do it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

Are you actually saying you did it, or is it more that you're not saying you didn't do it?

If I'm remembering correctly from the docs I've seen, you're basically saying that you understand that the case presented in court against you resulted in a legitimate conviction, but stop just short of actually saying "yes I did it".

It really is just to cover the rear end of the prosecutor's office. It boils down to "I understand how a jury that was presented with this information would have convicted me, but that doesn't mean I'm actually guilty".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

Somehow it doesn't feel like justice.

Ha! Justice is nice and all, but we can't have states losing money hand over fist just because the wrong person has been imprisoned for decades. That's just nuts.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

You are agreeing that the state had enough evidence to convict you without admitting guilt. It literally just exists to let you be free while covering their rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha! Justice is nice and all, but we can't have states losing money hand over fist just because the wrong person has been imprisoned for decades. That's just nuts.

Well look if they didn't want to spend all that time unfairly in jail, they should have pleaded guilty to a lesser version of the crime they didn't commit and gotten out earlier!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe make the prosecution liable for $X per year of wrongly served sentence. You know, make them really consider if they want to prosecute.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Maybe make the prosecution liable for $X per year of wrongly served sentence. You know, make them really consider if they want to prosecute.

Several States have capped the wrongful conviction amount per year and overall total. Wisconsin has something really low like $10,000 per year up to $100,000 total.

I don't know if that's suing the state, or if that also applies to police departments and counties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Corky Romanovsky posted:

That money is ultimately being paid by citizens via taxes and it's definitely arguable that there are more broadly important things to spend tax money on (like healthcare, for starters).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

precision posted:

That money is ultimately being paid by citizens via taxes and it's definitely arguable that there are more broadly important things to spend tax money on (like healthcare, for starters).

Aren't citizens already paying an enormous amount of money to keep people in (overpopulated!) prisons in the first place?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I still think Brendan, his brothers, and his step father killed that woman. I bet there was a feud over Stephen's incoming money before he went back to jail.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Several States have capped the wrongful conviction amount per year and overall total. Wisconsin has something really low like $10,000 per year up to $100,000 total.

I don't know if that's suing the state, or if that also applies to police departments and counties.

precision posted:

Dudes, I meant the person(s) as individuals, not the states/cities. Maybe the municipality pays some, but the gently caress that decided to prosecute on poo poo evidence has to pay, too.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Gross Dude posted:

It's just so blatantly....lovely. Like, that's it. It's just lovely and I don't understand how it has a place in any justice system.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Dudes, I meant the person(s) as individuals, not the states/cities. Maybe the municipality pays some, but the gently caress that decided to prosecute on poo poo evidence has to pay, too.

This sounds like a fantastic way to ensure that only rich people ever become prosecutors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I think you are wildly overestimating how much prosecutors make. Public defenders and state prosecutors are both working for peanuts compared to private law practice, which is why you have things like Atlanta's initiative that basically offers people with no law experience "enough training" to become a public defender.

Hell I have often considered passing the bar in my spare time (I'm aware that would take a lot of studying, yes) and becoming a public defender, but only because I have other sources of income.

e: And I'm not trying to be snarky, I promise, because on principle I actually kinda agree with you, but you also seem to be unaware of how much poo poo prosecutors get railroaded into by their superiors, the police department, etc etc

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

precision posted:

I think you are wildly overestimating how much prosecutors make. Public defenders and state prosecutors are both working for peanuts compared to private law practice, which is why you have things like Atlanta's initiative that basically offers people with no law experience "enough training" to become a public defender.

Hell I have often considered passing the bar in my spare time (I'm aware that would take a lot of studying, yes) and becoming a public defender, but only because I have other sources of income.

e: And I'm not trying to be snarky, I promise, because on principle I actually kinda agree with you, but you also seem to be unaware of how much poo poo prosecutors get railroaded into by their superiors, the police department, etc etc

I've always thought that police/DA offices should have to hold some sort of malpractice insurance. That would incentivize good behavior, ensure that those who are wronged are compensated and lessen the burden on the tax payer at large.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
gently caress!

http://time.com/4575268/brendan-dassey-release-blocked/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm confused about this. He was getting released due to an overturned conviction but now he's not getting released? Til when?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I still think Brendan, his brothers, and his step father killed that woman. I bet there was a feud over Stephen's incoming money before he went back to jail.

You really think Brendan would have been able to keep that secret for this long? I think the other men on the property should all be considered serious suspects, but I doubt there was some family plan to kill Theresa and frame Steven for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm confused about this. He was getting released due to an overturned conviction but now he's not getting released? Til when?

His conviction was overturned but he will have to stand trial again, this time without his confession being used against him. Most people assume he would never have been convicted without the bullshit confession.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's not a flight risk. He doesn't have money, connections, or even average intelligence. This just seems like the court taking care of its own here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solkanar512 posted:

I've always thought that police/DA offices should have to hold some sort of malpractice insurance. That would incentivize good behavior, ensure that those who are wronged are compensated and lessen the burden on the tax payer at large.

That's a great idea, though it would probably take some hefty convincing to get the insurance companies in on it since the USA has a ludicrously high rate of wrongful conviction.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would be a-ok with the prosecutor and whoever authorized Dassey's indictment and trial to be held personally liable in civil court. If you ruin his life, then yours is fair game if/when he gets out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

2016 strikes again, loving hell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you loving kidding me

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't believe in karma or anything but if it does exist Brendan's due to win the lottery when he eventually gets out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The State then successfully sues him for the winnings.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Your first paragraph flip flops between prosecutors and defenders.

No, I am not overestimating how much prosecutors make, you are reading my statements differently than intended. I'm saying the prosecution should retain a portion of liability for wrongful convictions.

Not sure where this miscommunication cropped up, but maybe one of us is having a bad day...or isn't qualified to be a lawyer.

E: a sample of Wisconsin District Attorney office salaries

Assistant DA (unelected) $50k-100k
DA (elected) $100k and up

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2016

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tenzarin posted:

I honestly have no idea who actually did it (and I am fairly convinced Steven is not totally guilt-free) but I doubt Brandom was directly involved; somebody with obvious somewhat limited mental capabilities like him would have slipped up by now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Corky Romanovsky posted:

E: a sample of Wisconsin District Attorney office salaries

Assistant DA (unelected) $50k-100k
DA (elected) $100k and up

Ah, yeah I thought you were referring to the prosecutors at the level below assistant DA - the ones that actually do all the legwork and often have little or no choice as to who they're prosecuting. At the DA level, I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What amazes me about this case (and it's been a while since I watched and read about it so please be gentle) is that the cops never offered an explanation of where she was murdered. First they're all like "she was totally murdered in the bedroom" but that's just not possible, unless Avery is a clean up Amadeus. Then they say "look! the garage!" but even all of us in this thread couldn't clean up all the blood from the piles of crap that is just everywhere in there.

So where did he kill her? The woods? Another house they never looked at? Or did someone else kill her and dump the body? We'll never know because the cops were corrupt assholes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think their going theory is that she was killed in the garage and since it was a .22 it didn't spray blood everywhere when he/they shot her. I don't think they spent too much time on it seeing as though finding a burned body, the victim's personal property both in the house as well as outside, and finding both hers and Steven's blood on/in her car which was also found on his property is a ton of evidence to point towards someone killing another person.

It's a good question though. Maybe out in his yard?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 18, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Disgusting but unsurprising. Such a high profile case is one the state is incredibly likely to double down on no matter the evidence, simply to protect their own reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I would be a-ok with the prosecutor and whoever authorized Dassey's indictment and trial to be held personally liable in civil court. If you ruin his life, then yours is fair game if/when he gets out.

Pretty sure that's how this whole mess started.

• Locked thread