Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

New Leaf posted:

Also, this Rabbits sounded more like an episode of Tanis.. I feel like these two are a lot more intertwined than Tanis was with TBT.

I fully expected at multiple points for Eldfend to be referenced, and I won't be surprised at all if a more in depth cross over happens sometime soon. I'm confused why they thought this was necessary, the idea of some secret society ARG or whatever was fine on its own without adding kids with inter dimensional powers or whatever. It's a similar problem in TANIS where they have a good idea (or an ok idea) and feel it just doesn't have enough weirdness to it so they just start throwing more in haphazardly.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm not sure how acceptable it is to advertise stuff your own stuff, but I've been working on a serialized fiction podcast of my own for the last couple months.

The first episode was released today. You can subscribe on iTunes.

It's less like a radio drama, and more like an audio book released on a weekly basis, due primarily to budgetary reasons. I'm not going to ask folks to volunteer for something so time consuming, and I just don't have the finances to hire anyone else. So, it's an all me production, for better or for worse. It's going to be eight episodes total, fifteen to twenty minutes long. I'm open to any and all criticism, I'm planning a second season and I want it to be far superior.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Amateur Sketch posted:

Wooden Overcoats is a good comedy serial. It's about competing funeral homes in a small British village. (Well, I say small.. it's very nearly a town!) The neurotic siblings who have run Funn Funerals their whole lives try to keep afloat against the charming newcomer across the square, usually via some harebrained scheme that goes awry. There's 2 seasons released already, not sure if a third is in the works yet or not.

Enjoy yourselves!

mrfreeze posted:

Just found out there is a 2 hour Wolf 359 special available when you use some new app they are beta testing called "Spoke"! It will hopefully scratch the itch until the new season starts.

The Spoke app is in beta and hot garbage but the special is really good. The Wolf 359 folks have a good thing with their show.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kraps posted:

Enjoy yourselves!

The Spoke app is in beta and hot garbage but the special is really good. The Wolf 359 folks have a good thing with their show.

Yeah, I didn't bother with the app, I just listened on my browser. It's pretty good, though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Caught up on 'The Dark Tome' today. Framing Story for anthology stories. I'd rather they dropped the Anthology part and concentrate on the flame since I'm more vested with the characters there. Not great but better than a lot of things out there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does the audio of The Magnus Archives ever get any louder? I love the show but I often listen to podcasts at the gym and TMA is uniquely quiet, enough that background noise from treadmills and weight machines and stuff can drown it out.

Also, am I the only who thinks the hate everyone harbors for Hilbert on Wolf 359 is overblown? It's not like the others are exactly model citizens. Poor doc. I figured Eiffel would at least mention his real name during the funeral, but nope.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 2, 2017

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hilbert did slowly murder Captain Loveless' crew and also tried to kill Eiffel, Hera and Minkowski a couple times

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

oatgan posted:

Hilbert did slowly murder Captain Loveless' crew and also tried to kill Eiffel, Hera and Minkowski a couple times

And did some genetic engineering on spiders

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does the audio of The Magnus Archives ever get any louder? I love the show but I often listen to podcasts at the gym and TMA is uniquely quiet, enough that background noise from treadmills and weight machines and stuff can drown it out.

Also, am I the only who thinks the hate everyone harbors for Hilbert on Wolf 359 is overblown? It's not like the others are exactly model citizens. Poor doc. I figured Eiffel would at least mention his real name during the funeral, but nope.

It gets a bit better, but it's still one of the more quiet podcasts I listen to.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Only because he's a fictional character, I have a lot of respect for him because none of the crew's speechifying works on him because he absolutely agrees that he's a lovely person doing lovely things, but he never wavers from doing them because his ends justify his means.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is anyone a Tanis Patron? If so, how is the bonus content? I don't mind hearing Nic's ramblings but don't know if I want to spend money for it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Speaking of Tanis, I really really enjoyed rabbits, but couldn't really even finish the first episode of Tanis. Is it worth plowing through the first bits?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm a fan, but its been spinning its wheels for a while. I think Tanis and Rabbits are much more similar than Tanis and The Black Tapes were.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Rabbits was shockingly focused compared to Tanis and The Black Tapes. Season 1 wrapped up in a surprisingly cool way.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

No season 2 of Terms yet, which I would listen to despite the nonsense way s1 ended, because the quality is so high. I was thinking they could have had the PEOTUS shot just as he was swearing in, which would ground it more in reality and add another layer of intrigue.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Season 2 of Homecoming starts July 19th.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Speaking of Tanis, I really really enjoyed rabbits, but couldn't really even finish the first episode of Tanis. Is it worth plowing through the first bits?

I feel like if the beginning of Tanis doesn't get you, the subsequent stuff won't - in terms of interest, and especially focus, it has progressively less and less of a return.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tanis has so much promise, but you can't solve the mystery because the podcast is over, so they're going to be perpetually spinning their wheels until they get bored of it and have some sort of ultra unsatisfying conclusion. Which really sucks. I genuinely like Tanis, but I think I mostly just like hearing Nic tell me stories.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The problem with Tanis is there was never really a mystery, just the trappings of one. It's not a journalistic investigation, it's a bunch of stoners constantly asking "What if...?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, it makes me laugh when Tanis is always described as "the last mystery of the information age" because that's just laughably pretentious on its own, but the entire premise is that Tanis is connected to like fifty million actual unsolved mysteries that are still mysteries in the information age. But I agree with New Leaf, I liked just listening to it, at least when it was largely talking about stuff like the Voynich Manuscript rather than Nic wandering in the woods worried about a corporate conspiracy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Its like television for your ears.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

It would be cool if the OP would update his post with all the series mentioned/liked over the last 24 pages.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AstroZamboni posted:

Rabbits was shockingly focused compared to Tanis and The Black Tapes. Season 1 wrapped up in a surprisingly cool way.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Rabbits at the start, but the ending paid it off well. I almost hope there isn't a second series and they just put all of their energy into properly plotting out whatever the new Nic-starring Tanis follow up podcast they've been working on is, plus the final 6 episodes of the Black Tapes. I feel going back to the Rabbits well could only hurt where they left it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The OP hasn't posted in this thread since 2016, it's been a couple of years, we may need a new thread.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

The OP hasn't posted in this thread since 2016, it's been a couple of years, we may need a new thread.

Fully agreed. Can anyone start a new thread? Is there some rule about it? I'd be willing to kick it off with an effort-post describing all the major series I listen to, and edit in other people's write-ups for other series.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are no rules to making new threads, as far as I know, you just make the new thread, drop a link and ask a mod to close this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, then, I went ahead and did it. The OP is still under construction, but I wanted to get it started before I lost focus.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826110&pagenumber=1#lastpost

• Locked thread