Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I hope the Black Tapes host gets eaten by a demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
It's like I said before, they are trying to make episodes instead of telling a story.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I basically like Black Tapes for the interaction between Alex and Strand. The first few episodes of S2 didn't have much Strand, and you can't have Mulder without Scully. The most recent one was better, and added some nuance to his character. But I'm not fond of apocalyptic cults as villains- I'd rather they stick to "monster of the week" format and have Strand's personal backstory be the driving meta-plot. That worked better than trying to tie everything into this Cenophas or whatever else is going on.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just finished The Message and as near as I can tell, it's a podcast about wheezing.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I just finished The Message and as near as I can tell, it's a podcast about wheezing.

At least it told the drat story.
In the eternal question of poo poo or get off the pot, it shat.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I'm really liking both Limetown and Alice isn't dead, but is there any good serialized fiction that's not sooooo... X-filesy?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Erland posted:

I'm really liking both Limetown and Alice isn't dead, but is there any good serialized fiction that's not sooooo... X-filesy?

Wolf 359 is really good. I don't understand why it isn't talked about more. The early episodes seem to be setting up a mediocre space sit com, but it goes in a different and much better direction.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

Wolf 359 is really good. I don't understand why it isn't talked about more. The early episodes seem to be setting up a mediocre space sit com, but it goes in a different and much better direction.

Yes but that different direction is x filesish.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Erland posted:

There's The Adventures Of Sparks Nevada, Marshall On Mars, which is the Thrilling Adventure Hour's space western. It doesn't start super strong, but it gets really really good by the end.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

The Erland posted:

I think the only non-spooky serial fiction podcasts that I keep up with are RPG actual-plays like The Adventure Zone. I'm sure there are other things available if you're looking for a particular genre. It's just easier to make X-files-y stories in a medium without visual effects.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cptn_dr posted:

There's The Adventures Of Sparks Nevada, Marshall On Mars, which is the Thrilling Adventure Hour's space western. It doesn't start super strong, but it gets really really good by the end.

I personally disagree, and feel it turned into a never-ending cycle of Sparks falling in love with a new woman, their relationship comes between Sparks and Marshalling, and then the relationship ends. It was really soap opera-y, and all their big episodes felt anticlimactic as hell. I did really like where Beyond Belief seemed to be going, but I came to the conclusion that Acker and Blacker never intended to actually get going on the potential their settings had, but were just spinning their wheels to keep doing episodic stuff without a greater plot. None of their characters ever grew, and there were only a few tiny story arcs that ever resolved fully.

Thrilling Adventure Hour became a sitcom. All the characters stayed the same, all problems get resolved in an episode or two, and the only differences were different relationships. It was funny and entertaining, but wasn't an ongoing story like Limetown or Tanis(even with my personal dislike of Tanis).

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Yes but that different direction is x filesish.

Partially and in a different way than AID and Limetown.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

rotinaj posted:

I personally disagree, and feel it turned into a never-ending cycle of Sparks falling in love with a new woman, their relationship comes between Sparks and Marshalling, and then the relationship ends. It was really soap opera-y, and all their big episodes felt anticlimactic as hell. I did really like where Beyond Belief seemed to be going, but I came to the conclusion that Acker and Blacker never intended to actually get going on the potential their settings had, but were just spinning their wheels to keep doing episodic stuff without a greater plot. None of their characters ever grew, and there were only a few tiny story arcs that ever resolved fully.

Thrilling Adventure Hour became a sitcom. All the characters stayed the same, all problems get resolved in an episode or two, and the only differences were different relationships. It was funny and entertaining, but wasn't an ongoing story like Limetown or Tanis(even with my personal dislike of Tanis).

TAH never really clicked for me- I think the live audience was off-putting. Sparks Nevada was fun, but didn't really go anywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say the lack of continuity was because the show had a lot of big name talent. You can't always count on Paul F. Tompkins to be available, so you don't spend a lot of time crafting an elaborate narrative that you might have to abandon. I could be wrong on this, just a guess.

Still, the actors are very talented. My favorite thing they did was when Tim and Guy from The Worst Idea of All Time wrote the entire script to Grown-Ups 2 from memory and the TAH cast performed it.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Well, there's Once and Future Nerd. Or... Our Fair City.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
For serialized fiction that isn't X-Filesey, try Qwerpline. It's improv comedy, but it tells a story with fantastic characters and it's wonderful.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

For serialized fiction that isn't X-Filesey, try Qwerpline. It's improv comedy, but it tells a story with fantastic characters and it's wonderful.

Hello from the Magic Tavern is similar (based on your description). It's pretty funny; the only thing I didn't like was an extended subplot about the main character being raped that was played for laughs. Fortunately they don't bring it up too often.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

TAH never really clicked for me- I think the live audience was off-putting. Sparks Nevada was fun, but didn't really go anywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say the lack of continuity was because the show had a lot of big name talent. You can't always count on Paul F. Tompkins to be available, so you don't spend a lot of time crafting an elaborate narrative that you might have to abandon. I could be wrong on this, just a guess.

Still, the actors are very talented. My favorite thing they did was when Tim and Guy from The Worst Idea of All Time wrote the entire script to Grown-Ups 2 from memory and the TAH cast performed it.

I suspect this is exactly why Captain Laserbeam didn't show up more. They could only get John DiMaggio some of the time.

Jurgan posted:

Hello from the Magic Tavern is similar (based on your description). It's pretty funny; the only thing I didn't like was an extended subplot about the main character being raped that was played for laughs. Fortunately they don't bring it up too often.

Do you like it when improvisers have a standard joke they return to when they don't know what to do? Then Chunt's jokes about buttholes are gonna be for you!

It was funny otherwise, but I couldn't deal with entire episodes about buttholes and numbers of buttholes.

Edit: I am just fuckin' being Negative Nancy all over the place. Where's the makers of Limetown? I want another season so i can have something to gush about.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
"Next time we'll take a closer look at the wooden keychain with the weird-looking rock attached, and a whole lot more. This is Tanis. I'm Nic Silver. We'll be back again in two weeks."

That's seriously how the most recent episode ends. Not a paraphrasing either. Direct quote.

Want to know just how hard a podcast can go off the loving rails? Look at Pacific Northwest Stories.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Do you like it when improvisers have a standard joke they return to when they don't know what to do? Then Chunt's jokes about buttholes are gonna be for you!

It was funny otherwise, but I couldn't deal with entire episodes about buttholes and numbers of buttholes.

Yeah, that was the other pet peeve I had. Matt Young made one off-hand joke about wizards having two buttholes, and suddenly it's an obsession, especially with Chunt. Though they did have a pretty good payoff when they did the "Normal Again" style episode where it's suggested the entire show is a hallucination Arnie is having, and the doctor diagnoses him with an anal fixation.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else listening to A new winter?

I just started it and it's pretty good.

quote:

It's the winter of 2000 in a small village in the UK and a family have been brutally murdered in suspicious circumstances. The only evidence is one set of footprints in the snow leading to the murder scene - but nothing leaving it. This is a man's first hand account of what happened in this brutal winter where over 25 people were murdered or had disappeared.

Drunken Duck
Nov 18, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else listening to A new winter?

I just started it and it's pretty good.

I'm queuing up episode 2 right now! I like the premise but something about the narrator's voice is bugging the hell out of me and I can't quite
put my finger on what it is.

Since somebody mentioned TAH, I was wondering if anybody has come across something similar to the stuff Decoder Ring Theater is doing. I'm a sucker
for pulpy adventure stuff and I was curious if anybody else was doing something similar or if I'm back to binging on old public domain radio shows.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

I listened to the first episode-series of Return Home, and it's... not great. Could be good if you like a tongue-in-cheek attempt at a spooky storytelling podcast. The narrator speaks really fast, preventing any kind of mysterious atmosphere. (I might try listening at half speed to see if that helps.) There's also no difference between the narration-voice and the in-character-voice of the main character, which is a little annoying.

Those gripes aside, the audio is very clear and the plot seems like it has potential. If you're looking for something light-hearted it might be worth a shot.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Archive 81 is a bit rough, but not bad. It's a fairly layered narrative; the audio files of guy who's gone missing. He was archiving the audio tapes of a woman who was interviewing the residents of a New York City apartment building in the mid-nineties.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Slamhound posted:

Archive 81 is a bit rough, but not bad. It's a fairly layered narrative; the audio files of guy who's gone missing. He was archiving the audio tapes of a woman who was interviewing the residents of a New York City apartment building in the mid-nineties.

Is this played as a straight mystery or is there a supernatural element to it?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Hard to say at this point.. There's an air of something occult on the tapes being documented, but nothing explicitly supernatural as far as I remember.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Nothing explicit by episode 3, but the supernatural is heavily implied.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

It' going towards the supernatural in a House of Leaves or Twin Peaks sort of way. As much surrealism as supernatural.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Definitely digging the new suggestions.

Archive 81 is really enjoyable and I can definitely appreciate the comparison to House of Leaves. I have that sort of creepy surreal feeling that House of Leaves left me with. I also really enjoy Ratty, who is my favorite character so far. It's certainly a lot more polished than I was expecting, given the initial assessment that it was kind of rough.

I did the first two episodes of Ars Paradoxica and I dig that one, too. The more casual tone of it gives it an interesting twist compared to the way Bright Sessions is presented.

Bright Sessions is quite good, too. Took me a bit to really get the characters straight for some reason, but I thought the way they flowed from the premise to the main story arc was well-done. The characters are also all fun. Definitely hoping for great things from this one.

Wolf 359 is great, as has been stated. It took a great, dramatic turn from the lighter subject matter of the first few episodes. It hasn't lost the funny core, it just gives the characters more room to be interesting in between the jokes. The newer characters have good chemistry, too.

As for Alice isn't Dead? I can't figure out if I like it or not. It's got the same sort of writing that turned me off of Night Vale after 80 episodes. It's the way Fink uses repeated phrasings to make things seem unnatural, I think. The storyline is interesting and Jasika Nicole is nailing the performance, which are redeeming it quite a bit. However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

I'm really glad this thread is here, since I suck at finding new podcasts. I really dig this sort of storytelling. I guess it comes from being exposed to The Shadow via CD as a kid or something.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, good call on the Archive 81 suggestion. I'm not getting any House of Leaves-esque vibe from it at all but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Is anyone familiar with Wooden Overcoats? I've seen it recommended by other podcasters but haven't gotten into it yet.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

Yeah, I just skip to the musical bit at the end after Jasika Nicole's narration finishes; I couldn't care less for Fink's self-indulgent riddle bit. I too couldn't enjoy Night Vale for the same reason. Do the riddles actually have a theme to them? I haven't listened to any since episode 2.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

As for Alice isn't Dead? I can't figure out if I like it or not. It's got the same sort of writing that turned me off of Night Vale after 80 episodes. It's the way Fink uses repeated phrasings to make things seem unnatural, I think. The storyline is interesting and Jasika Nicole is nailing the performance, which are redeeming it quite a bit. However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

I know this is an audio-format forum, but gently caress it, it's relevant. This kind of poo poo drove me crazy in the Night Vale book, and it's why I have like fifteen episodes of Night Vale to listen to... And have zero desire to do so.

Joseph Fink seems to do this poo poo all the time, and it made the Night Vale book almost unreadable. Problem is, for something that is such a one-person-writing project, how do you make Night Vale not feel so samey and formulaic without just changing writers?

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Limetown after catching up on TBT and Tanis and wow. Definitely didnt expect there to be such a huge quality difference. Limetown definitely had their ducks in a row before they even started and its even more apparent. but when did they mention Lea's uncle had a natural gift/condition? I feel like I missed that.

Anyways, the voice acting was great on Limetown. I feel like a lot of PNWS uses the same 4 actors over and over with varying "accents" and I mean it's probably a budget thing but it is definitely noticeable. Also PNWS really has a thing for inserting music into every. Single. Clip.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

DeusExMchna posted:

but when did they mention Lea's uncle had a natural gift/condition? I feel like I missed that.

I missed it the first time around myself. But if I remember correctly, it's mentioned/eluded to pretty early on.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
We're thinking of wrapping up the first season of our show with a behind-the-scenes sort of episode, where the producers and cast have a sort of informal discussion about the story, about production, about what other projects they're currently involved in. As a general question for the thread, assuming that the idea of a "behind the scenes" episode doesn't bore you to tears, what sorts of topics would you be interested in hearing discussed?

Not for Synesthesia Theatre in particular (I'm sure most of you don't listen to it), just serial audiodrama in general.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm binging A New Winter and I'm incredibly engrossed. I don't necessarily like the one man narration considering how many characters there are, but I like the minimalist approach, and it's very weird in a good way as a story.

This is becoming one of my favorite threads. I'm rapidly realizing the SFP genre is just great for my tastes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm binging A New Winter and I'm incredibly engrossed. I don't necessarily like the one man narration considering how many characters there are, but I like the minimalist approach, and it's very weird in a good way as a story.

This is becoming one of my favorite threads. I'm rapidly realizing the SFP genre is just great for my tastes.

I'm only on episode three and I'm not totally sold. I'm digging what it's trying to do, but yeah, the presentation's where it's losing me. I'm guessing it's like a lot of things and kicks into gear in episode 4? That's where Archive 81 got me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

I'm only on episode three and I'm not totally sold. I'm digging what it's trying to do, but yeah, the presentation's where it's losing me. I'm guessing it's like a lot of things and kicks into gear in episode 4? That's where Archive 81 got me.

I can't tell you exactly when it fully got me but it was probably between 4-6, yes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Black Tapes and Tanis have become almost unlistenable. Between the question/answer repetition, the 'uhhhrrrrmmmmmms,' the dramatic pauses for musical cues, and the increasingly intrusive commercials, there's like 5 minutes of content per episode, tops.

I'm 4 episodes into The Behemoth and so far so goos. A giant humanoid comes out of the ocean and just starts walking. It's told from the view of the slightly angsty 15 year old who follows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

At least I've gotten to the point where I can see the ads coming. Right when there's a tidbit of information that could be interesting if they would elaborate it, they stick in a long pause and start talking about socks.

The characters' inability to connect more than two dots at a time is probably the worst part of The Black Tapes.

• Locked thread