Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm also confused on the time line between The Black Tapes and Tanis. There is no crossover between them, makes no sense. I'm pretty much done with them. There was something there but it's just meh.

Thanks for the Behemoth suggestion. I'm really enjoying it and it's about the right length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Within the Wires, a new podcast by the Night Vale Presents network kicked off yesterday. I listened to the first episode this morning and it seems interesting, though it didn't grab my attention as immediately as Alice Isn't Dead did.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

calandryll posted:

I'm also confused on the time line between The Black Tapes and Tanis. There is no crossover between them, makes no sense. I'm pretty much done with them. There was something there but it's just meh.

Thanks for the Behemoth suggestion. I'm really enjoying it and it's about the right length.

There was actually a bit two episodes ago where Alex teased Nic about searching for invisible cabins in magical forests. But you're right, for two shows that are set in the same universe with such potential for interaction, it's baffling that each iteration of Alex and Nic seem to be separate entities.

The show is bad.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I just have a thing for girls who say "aboot."

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Synesthesia Theatre just released the last episode of our first season, wrapping the steampunk western "Iron Horses Can't Be Broken." New season starts in about a month, after some cast Q&A interviews, with a 9-part cyberpunk thriller.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Montalvo posted:

Within the Wires, a new podcast by the Night Vale Presents network kicked off yesterday. I listened to the first episode this morning and it seems interesting, though it didn't grab my attention as immediately as Alice Isn't Dead did.

It's so well written that I'm willing to give it a few more episodes, but there doesn't really seem to be any hooks in there. I don't really get where they're going with it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Montalvo posted:

I agree, I'm giving it another episode or two to see if it gets more interesting, but it's just not grabbing me. I feel like Night Vale is a Weird Comedy podcast, and Alice Isn't Dead is a Weird Suspense podcast, but Within the Wires is just Weird, like a 20 minute long version of the "Traffic" segment from Night Vale.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Yeah WTW seems like all the weirdly-poetic segments of Night Vale without the trouble of characters or a specific setting.

psychopomp posted:

Synesthesia Theatre just released the last episode of our first season, wrapping the steampunk western "Iron Horses Can't Be Broken." New season starts in about a month, after some cast Q&A interviews, with a 9-part cyberpunk thriller.

Looking forward to the new season! The last ep was a little difficult to hear at the beginning, between the cave echoes and the whispering. It would be nice if there wasn't so much difference between the volume of dialogue and the sound effects.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I think that's underselling Within the Wires a bit. They laid the groundwork for some form of narrative among all of the weird imagery and poetics. It's interesting stuff. Reminds me just a little bit of the first half of Portal, where you knew something was hosed but had no real way of knowing what was going on behind the walls.

Mind you, it's only one episode in. You could be totally right and the show could end up doing absolutely nothing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
If anybody else is like me and an enjoys the premise of Tanis but not the execution, try reading The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. It's aces.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Amateur Sketch posted:

Yeah WTW seems like all the weirdly-poetic segments of Night Vale without the trouble of characters or a specific setting.

Looking forward to the new season! The last ep was a little difficult to hear at the beginning, between the cave echoes and the whispering. It would be nice if there wasn't so much difference between the volume of dialogue and the sound effects.

So noted! We were able to get into a pretty nice studio while recording season two.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey everyone. I haven't had a chance to listen to a lot of the new serial fiction podcasts and the OP needs to be updated so if you want to write a blurb I'll add it in.

I think I should also separate them by genre - alternate reality (Limetown etc), serial fiction (Alice isn't Dead etc), and... found footage? What do you think?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I love wolf 359. It's very well done, and I highly advise anyone who likes this format to listen to it.

Because i am an rear end in a top hat, here are my criticisms of it. I really hate how all these podcasts will bake certain very interesting things into characters back stories, and will take literally forever to tell you anything. I want to know what the mystery is about Eiffel and his mysterious history. I want to know more about the star. Yes, that's how they keep me coming back, but 35 episodes, 2 episodes a month, and we still have no answers? Bummer.

I also really hate the voice actor who does Kepler. I feel like he is doing a great job of making his character sounds like an immense prick, so I also love him, but drat does he have a punchable sounding voice.

That's about it! I love the scripts and think the overall plot is doing great in unspooling slowly. It's good stuff. Listen to it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

If anybody else is like me and an enjoys the premise of Tanis but not the execution, try reading The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. It's aces.

Great books, would recommend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I spend five hours of my shift alone at work so I've been listening to these sorts of podcasts lately. I just caught up on the thread and added a bunch of things I hadn't already found bit I'll give some brief thoughts on what I've listened too.

We're Alive: the first couple seasons are pretty decent but it ends on kind of a lame fart. It was like they didn't actually have any idea for an ending so they made some stuff up and I wasn't really a fan. It's a shame they pitched the idea as a tv show just before the Walking Dead craze, a year or two later and they could have had a better budget.

Leviathan Chronicles: I haven't actually finished season 2 but I don't think it's actually ended yet. Season 1 isn't bad it's a pulpy adventure series that segues from a National Treasure sort of feel into an alien invasion story.

Byron Chronicles: I don't think I ever caught up with this. It has an rear end update schedule of randomly and without warning. About a Sam's Choice Sandman doing something with the city of Portland. He ends up squaring off against a being with power to rival God.

Black Tapes: started with promise but by the time I caught up to the newest episode I've really begun to lose interest. There was so much potential and it's just kind of...wasted

Tanis: just like BT. I like the concept but Nic is just the worst. And like others have mentioned there should be more interaction between the shows if they take place concurrently. How did Alex not mention Nic going missing in her own show?

Night Vale: the early stuff was the best but as it went from weird town stuff to the Cecil/Carlos show I began to lose interest. I can see why people would like that but I was there for the Twilight Zoney happenings not the radio hosts private life.

I don't think I've listened to any others lately but once I listen to the others mentioned in the thread I'll post my thoughts.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I hated the first 5 or 6 episodes of Wolf 359 but once the larger plot started looming it became the show I look forward to updating the most

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Night Vale: the early stuff was the best but as it went from weird town stuff to the Cecil/Carlos show I began to lose interest. I can see why people would like that but I was there for the Twilight Zoney happenings not the radio hosts private life.

This is set up for poo poo later, it goes back to what it was in a bit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It still becomes a lot more comedy and longer story arc focused. Some of the original charm is lost forever once the weird stuff of the first few episodes become established setting elements.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Opinions posted:

It still becomes a lot more comedy and longer story arc focused. Some of the original charm is lost forever once the weird stuff of the first few episodes become established setting elements.

I feel like it become better for it though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

This is set up for poo poo later, it goes back to what it was in a bit.

When is in a bit? I think the last one I listened to was the heist episode.

I'm about halfway through Limetown and holy poo poo it is so much better than Tanis. She is a better protagonist than Nic can ever hope to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double posting. I just finished Limetown and that's where it stops? And it's been on break for how long?! Shenanigans!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Len posted:

I'm about halfway through Limetown and holy poo poo it is so much better than Tanis. She is a better protagonist than Nic can ever hope to be.

I agree that Limetown is a better show than Tanis or Black Tapes, but I don't agree about it having a better protagonist, and I don't see why no one else seems to notice this. Nic Silver isn't very interesting, I'll grant that (I kind of like MK, though). But Lia Haddock is almost completely passive. She doesn't seek out clues and investigate Limetown; witnesses get dropped in her lap one by one and she interviews them. Her interview skills are better than the You know about X?" "What's X?" style of Alex Regan and Nic Silver, but she never actually does any investigation. I'm not even sure she is the protagonist- she's the main character in the sense that we see everything from her point of view, but in no way does she drive the plot. Some mysterious figure wants the truth revealed and sends witnesses to meet with Lia, and I was assuming that she was picked to tell the story because she had a reputation for being a good journalist. But in the last episode it's made even worse when it's revealed that her uncle was the mastermind and picked her because she was related to him. Thematically, it fits all the stuff about "roles to play," but it means she didn't achieve anything herself- she was chosen because of family connections rather than talent, resourcefulness, or any other positive characteristics. Limetown is a great story- I especially like how it's revealed piece by piece and leaves you guessing- but Lia Haddock is a complete cipher. Practically anyone could have been the main character.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

When is in a bit? I think the last one I listened to was the heist episode.

Literally the next episode is the one that I imagine as "return to good nightvale."

72 Well of Night

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The heist was the return to good!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I agree that Limetown is a better show than Tanis or Black Tapes, but I don't agree about it having a better protagonist, and I don't see why no one else seems to notice this. Nic Silver isn't very interesting, I'll grant that (I kind of like MK, though). But Lia Haddock is almost completely passive. She doesn't seek out clues and investigate Limetown; witnesses get dropped in her lap one by one and she interviews them. Her interview skills are better than the You know about X?" "What's X?" style of Alex Regan and Nic Silver, but she never actually does any investigation. I'm not even sure she is the protagonist- she's the main character in the sense that we see everything from her point of view, but in no way does she drive the plot. Some mysterious figure wants the truth revealed and sends witnesses to meet with Lia, and I was assuming that she was picked to tell the story because she had a reputation for being a good journalist. But in the last episode it's made even worse when it's revealed that her uncle was the mastermind and picked her because she was related to him. Thematically, it fits all the stuff about "roles to play," but it means she didn't achieve anything herself- she was chosen because of family connections rather than talent, resourcefulness, or any other positive characteristics. Limetown is a great story- I especially like how it's revealed piece by piece and leaves you guessing- but Lia Haddock is a complete cipher. Practically anyone could have been the main character.

I disagree- Leah has done some investigation, it's just mostly revealed in the first episode. Yes, the interviews sort of fall into her lap, but she actually processes what she learns from them and applies it to figuring out the mystery, unlike TBT's protagonists. Leah also faces direct threats from the start and makes the active choice to keep up her investigation and deal with the subsequent paranoia.

Also you're half right- her uncle is the mastermind behind Limetown, but he's not the one sending witnesses. He's on the run from whoever wanted the technology, and they lured Leah into a trap as a way to lure him out of hiding.

I do agree that MK would be a better protagonist for Tanis.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm the weirdo I guess, but I enjoy both the Back Tapes and Tanis way more then I enjoyed Limetown.

I know that production and acting quality of Limetown, are much higher then both TBT or Tanis, but I find the ideas behind their stories interesting and relatively unique and refreshing. Limetown just seemed very samey to me, and by the end I was completely "meh" about it. I really couldn't care less if Limetown ever comes back, but find myself eagerly waiting for the new Tanis episodes because I'm legitimately curious to see where they're going with their storylines even if it could use some tightening up of its narrative structure.

I've been really enjoying Archive 81 recently as well. I find it's got the same sort of production values of Limetown combined with the interesting world building of TBT and Tanis.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

TBT/Tanis and Archive 81 all have the benefit of a mysterious story that grows along the way. It's more fun to find out the next reveal even if the hosts are baffled by it.

Limetown has the production value but their pacing is different. There's a huge exposition dump at the beginning, and then there aren't enough episodes to hook you with the progression of clues. I think the last episode would have been a lot stronger at the end of a 10-ep season or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm finished with Limetown, Welcome to Nightvale, Alice isn't Dead, and am subscribed to Within the Wires.

Help, what do I listen to next? I can't go to work without a podcast, and these have been like the only things I've listened too.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Try Archive 81 and The Truth. The No Sleep Podcast is horror, if that's your thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started the Bright Sessions today. Quite enjoyable so far. It's a psychologist for people with special abilities only it feels like there's an underlying plot building.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There is. It takes some time to get there, but the last episode is great.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Is there anything that presents alt history in a format like In Our Time or Hardcore History? Talking about battles that never happened, people who never existed, but all plausible-like and not supernatural and stuff?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I'm finished with Limetown, Welcome to Nightvale, Alice isn't Dead, and am subscribed to Within the Wires.

Help, what do I listen to next? I can't go to work without a podcast, and these have been like the only things I've listened too.

In addition to what mr bake said, our fair city is pretty good. A new winter was middling. Latest Wolf 359 was great. The message is good for being short and self contained. That's about it for my recommendations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

head58 posted:

Is there anything that presents alt history in a format like In Our Time or Hardcore History? Talking about battles that never happened, people who never existed, but all plausible-like and not supernatural and stuff?

The only thing I could think of would be the Twilight Histories, which is the story of a guy with the worst luck possible visiting various alt histories. They run the gamut from Napoleon invading India via Afghanistan, to Germany winning WWI, to Japanese Robo-Holocaust. It's all told in a first person perspective so it might not be exactly what you're looking for, but who knows?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Help Me is very amateurish, but it has it's moments. It's kind of on the level of Small Town Horror and A New Winter. It follows a woman's investigation into her friend’s apparent suicide and the weird/supernatural things that start happening to her as a result.

Scotch is made by the same people who made The Behemoth (which has ended). It's only two episodes in, and the episodes are short, so it's a little hard to get a read on it. It's also supernatural thriller/mystery.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's probably just me but I think it's weird that podcasts ask for patreon donations one to two episodes in. I get that podcasts with actual production values aren't cheap and take time but it seems weird to start asking for donations right off the bat before people know if your series is going to be worth supporting.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Len posted:

It's probably just me but I think it's weird that podcasts ask for patreon donations one to two episodes in. I get that podcasts with actual production values aren't cheap and take time but it seems weird to start asking for donations right off the bat before people know if your series is going to be worth supporting.

I think if you're creating a show with patreon in mind, it's fine. There's no obligation to give away work for free and if you know that's the model you want to go for, it helps to get that started as early as possible.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
That's basically what we did. Not that we've had a great deal of success.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously considering making a "Support My Podcast" podcast. Each half hour episode describes in detail How & Why you Can & Should donate to the podcast. Our quality podcast is supported by listeners like you. This week's episode is funded by last week's donations. In it we discuss how you can contribute to next week's episode.

Episode 1: Donations.
Episode 2: PayPal.
Episode 3: Patreon.
Episode 4: Amazon Wish Lists (guest starring the host of "Podcasts Supporting Podcasts").

I may need to start a Kickstarter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just get sponsorships from Squarespace and Casper

• Locked thread