Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

Mabel is fantastic. Definitely my favorite podcast. Yeah, it's all crazy person voicemails.

I'm pretty sure the last episode of Night Vale was an homage to Mabel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I'm definitely getting into it. Very creepy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

I think of it more a within the wire but great.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It sounds like the strange disjointed mutterings of the Faceless Old Woman.. or maybe a bit like "Alice Isn't Dead" at parts.

At any rate, its very compelling. I'm ~7 episodes in and just started this afternoon.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

It sounds like the strange disjointed mutterings of the Faceless Old Woman.. or maybe a bit like "Alice Isn't Dead" at parts.

At any rate, its very compelling. I'm ~7 episodes in and just started this afternoon.

Episode 8 is where it turns great.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Just found out there is a 2 hour Wolf 359 special available when you use some new app they are beta testing called "Spoke"! It will hopefully scratch the itch until the new season starts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm about half-way through episode 8 of Mabel and I think I'm enjoying it? Not entirely sure what on earth is going on though.

AFAIK Mabel and Anna are the same person and also the house is kind of a spooky ghost?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Mabel sounds cool, but I'm not starting any new fiction podcasts until I catch up with Magnus. Also, with the real world being set on fire, I've been listening to a lot of political podcasts lately, so that's cutting into my time.

Len posted:

Frank was a great part of the episode

"She's immune to Damien"
"She isn't immune to a pipe to the head"

And Caleb basically Hulked out I'm down. Dude had it coming.

Poor, poor Caleb. He deserves a medal for nearly killing Damien to save Adam, but he hates himself so much for losing control that I want to give him a hug instead. And his conversation with Adam about cutting was intense, and very believable.

Also, Chloe got hit with a lamp, not a pipe.
:goonsay:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Mabel more in the earlier episodes. I'm caught up except for one that came out in the last few days, and I could do without ear-splitting yelling out of nowhere..

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Mabel more in the earlier episodes. I'm caught up except for one that came out in the last few days, and I could do without ear-splitting yelling out of nowhere..

Oh, it starts having jumpscares? That's bogus, I might stop listening then. I scare easily and mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so that's probably not a good combo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

Oh, it starts having jumpscares? That's bogus, I might stop listening then. I scare easily and mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so that's probably not a good combo.

I wouldn't call them jump scares, but some messages are just screaming or loud crying.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The volume mixing needs some work.The yelling is way too loud, to the point where I've had to change my audio levels for those sections, and that's not something I enjoy doing while listening to a podcast.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So the ultimate twist of Tanis is going to be that MK has been exploiting Nic's internet-incompetence by feeding him random garbage secure in the knowledge that he'll buy whatever blatantly false technobabble she can come up with on the spot, right? Right? ... no? Okay.

(I almost applauded when in a recent episode of Magnus the nerd girl said anyone talking about "the deep web" is full of poo poo.)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead is really starting to drag.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just hit season 2 in my Magnus Archives relisten. I'm wondering if Lightner or Sasha are going to be the big event at the end.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead is really starting to drag.

I enjoyed the latest episode, though it honestly felt kind of poorly put together. I really like the antagonist. And I'm really sick of Fink's outros.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

I enjoyed the latest episode, though it honestly felt kind of poorly put together. I really like the antagonist. And I'm really sick of Fink's outros.

I honestly have no idea what is going on. Is the antagonist meant to be the woman she met in the basement of that house, who herself works for the shipping company that opposes the Thistle Men? or does she work for the government, who is allied with them? do they want to kill keesha (sp?) because she won't stop trying to find out more about the Thistle Men?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Slamhound posted:

I've been skipping all of fink's stuff since the second episode

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I honestly have no idea what is going on. Is the antagonist meant to be the woman she met in the basement of that house, who herself works for the shipping company that opposes the Thistle Men? or does she work for the government, who is allied with them? do they want to kill keesha (sp?) because she won't stop trying to find out more about the Thistle Men?

No, I'm pretty sure the antagonist only appeared in the mini-episode and pulled her over in the premier episode. She's part of something bigger and apart from the Thistle Men and has been stalking Keisha.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^^ oh. I'm so confused.

oatgan posted:

I've been skipping all of fink's stuff since the second episode

:same:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone else listening to Friends of the Void?

I'm enjoying it, though I'm not entirely sure what it's about or what's going on. It starts out as a guy trapped in a lighthouse with something waiting outside. He tries to get messages out and distracts himself with various tapes he finds. The tapes are different stories that don't really have anything to do with the main narration. There are also a couple of pissy Artificial Intelligences who snipe at each other and try to lead him around. The whole thing has a very odd feel. The first season had kind of laconic humor while the second season is fairly melancholy.

Slumberland is also good.

A sound archivist is hired to record the people and events in the Northwest island community of Slumberland. It's a standard wacky-townsfolk narrative, almost like a cross between Night Vale and Greater Boston. It can be wildly uneven depending on the character the episode is focused on and your tolerance for their acting choices, but it can be interesting.

I'd recommend giving both a shot, they have a standard episode length of ~20 minutes and you'll get a decent sense of them pretty quickly.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Update from the Limetown Folks:

quote:

Dear Limetown listeners,

We are about to launch a new show—a feature-length musical podcast called 36 Questions—on a new podcast channel called Two-Up. Going forward, that’s where all our new content (we have more!) will live.

Now that we’ve answered “What happened to the people who made Limetown?” we wanted to address the massive elephant in the room, and give you a more formal update on what exactly is going on with Limetown itself.

Actually, wait. Before getting into that (I know, get on with it already), let’s talk about why we’re making this channel to begin with. To start, we want to acknowledge how weird it probably is for all of you that our next major project is a musical. It was weird for us, too, but that’s exactly why we wanted to do it. While these other, longer gestating projects are happening, our minds… wander. We are always looking for and thinking about what hasn’t been but could be done in the podcasting world, and how it would be possible. That’s why we’re creating the Two-Up channel. After asking ourselves too many times why things weren’t being done, we just decided we should be doing them with the best people for the job. It might be a complete disaster, but we wanted the freedom to tell the stories we wanted to tell, while still pushing the line on what’s actually possible in the space.

Which brings us to Limetown itself, because it’s the foundation of all this.

Limetown has allowed us to build our channel, and if we’re lucky enough to have any level of continued success, Limetown will always be the reason why. Which is to say, as much as you love and care about the show (WHICH WE APPRECIATE SO, SO MUCH), we love and care about it even more than that. It is on low simmer to boil at all times in our minds, and believe it or not, we have been crafting away all this time at its future incarnations. These include:

1. A prequel novel with our writing partner, Cote Smith, which is nearing a complete first draft and is… stunning. You’re going to lose your minds. Cote is a genius.
2. A television series that is coming together in a very exciting way and we hope to be able to discuss in more detail soon.
3. What you’re probably most interested in: a second season of the podcast.
We are very conscious of the time that has elapsed since the release of season one, and all we will say about that is that season two will reflect this, and that it will be worth the wait.

We appreciate your patience, and in the meantime, please subscribe to Two-Up (https://www.twoupproductions.com/) and give our new show a listen. We love it so much, and we think you will, too. We have other shows lined up for the channel in the coming months, and we can’t wait to share those with you as well. We will keep pushing boundaries, and we will keep doing the unexpected.

But our hearts will always be with Limetown. We will not let you down.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

..a feature length musical podcast? What the gently caress does that mean?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm not going to listen to that so someone please lmk when season 2 of limetown drops

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

I'm not going to listen to that so someone please lmk when season 2 of limetown drops

:same:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

"Feature-length" means roughly two hours long. "Musical" means characters will occasionally break into song. It seems self-explanatory to me.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 17, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

New Leaf posted:

It means they crawled up their own asses.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sinteres posted:

It means they crawled up their own asses.

Why are people so angry that, after having a success, creators try something different? Would we rather they go the PNWS route and pump out the same tedious stories forever?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Why are people so angry that, after having a success, creators try something different? Would we rather they go the PNWS route and pump out the same tedious stories forever?

Considering they crawled so thoroughly up their own asses after one season, people have every right to be mad.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Considering they crawled so thoroughly up their own asses after one season, people have every right to be mad.

What exactly are people mad about? What does "crawled up their own asses" even mean? I really don't get it. People in this thread have been going on for over a year about how Limetown is the greatest piece of audio fiction since Orson Welles. Personally, I was annoyed that they left it on a cliffhanger and didn't give any indication of what they had planned. Now we finally hear that it's coming back, and everyone is mad because they're also making another show at the same time? Is the complaint that they should just focus on Limetown and get it done first before starting something new? Maybe, but they can do more than one thing at once. The Night Vale people have four podcasts running simultaneously. Is the complaint that they're somehow arrogant for thinking all their fans will follow them wherever they go? I didn't get that impression. Listen or don't, no one's forcing you, but I would think that if you think the Limetown creators are so talented, you'd be excited to see what else they have in mind. Instead it's "no, stay in your own lane and keep doing what you were already doing." Is the problem that they only made six episodes and then think they can do anything based on that? I guess that's fair, except that you (and by "you" I mean practically everyone who posts here) have been singing their praises non-stop for over a year. Besides, if they have the opportunity to make new things they're passionate about, why not give it a try? I simply do not understand why people are bothered that talented creators are broadening their focus.

Bart Simpson posted:

What could they possibly owe you? They've given you hours of entertainment for nothing- if anything, you owe them!

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 18, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's just good, old-fashioned geek entitlement.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's tummy feels mostly, I liked Limetown a lot gave them money (when they were begging for it,) and got nothing in return afterwards. I'm happy I helped them, but I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years, I'd much rather they did what Fink did where they immediately branched out and made a media empire. Instead they are writing a book (which will be for sale,) a TV show (Which you'll need to pay for,) and then there doing a "Full Feature Length Musical Podcast" which is like... 1 episode of Edict Zero? I just donate to a lot of different patreons, I get a lot for my money, and I felt kind of screwed by Limetown (which doesn't take donations anymore btw.)

I always was kind of bitter, because it was "hey give us money for more content," and the content never came.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 18, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

It's tummy feels mostly, I liked Limetown a lot gave them money (when they were begging for it,) and got nothing in return afterwards. I'm happy I helped them, but I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years, I'd much rather they did what Fink did where they immediately branched out and made a media empire. Instead they are writing a book (which will be for sale,) a TV show (Which you'll need to pay for,) and then there doing a "Full Feature Length Musical Podcast" which is like... 1 episode of Edict Zero? I just donate to a lot of different patreons, I get a lot for my money, and I felt kind of screwed by Limetown (which doesn't take donations anymore btw.)

I always was kind of bitter, because it was "hey give us money for more content," and the content never came.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. It sucks. It's good for the creators and I'm happy for them but they're going about it in a lovely, tone deaf way.

I looked it up again. There were 6 episodes of Limetown. 6 loving episodes. Admittedly they were insanely well-produced, intricate episodes, but 6 of them. Six podcast episodes and there's already a book, an alleged TV show pilot, and some other side project podcast. I am not saying the creators aren't allowed to do what they want with their own work. But how are fans not allowed to be frustrated and annoyed by the way it's been handled? They're not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore the thing that bothered me most is that they almost talked about season 2 of the podcast like it was a throwaway after rambling repeatedly about a bunch of stuff that the people who supported them in the first place probably don't care about.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is why you don't donate to patreons or kickstarters or indiegogos or anything.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Obviously my Bart Simpson quote doesn't apply if you gave them money. Still, I don't understand what you mean by "I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years." It's been one and a half years since the last episode, so aren't they on track for what you were expecting?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. It sucks. It's good for the creators and I'm happy for them but they're going about it in a lovely, tone deaf way.

I looked it up again. There were 6 episodes of Limetown. 6 loving episodes. Admittedly they were insanely well-produced, intricate episodes, but 6 of them. Six podcast episodes and there's already a book, an alleged TV show pilot, and some other side project podcast. I am not saying the creators aren't allowed to do what they want with their own work. But how are fans not allowed to be frustrated and annoyed by the way it's been handled? They're not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore the thing that bothered me most is that they almost talked about season 2 of the podcast like it was a throwaway after rambling repeatedly about a bunch of stuff that the people who supported them in the first place probably don't care about.

Honestly, I'd given up expecting season two. When I heard about the TV show, I assumed it was replacing the podcast. I was thinking of the six episodes as sort of a "proof-of-concept" for the higher budget television series. I'm not sure we need both a podcast and a TV show about the same thing. Or is the TV show going to be a different story in the same universe? It's not really clear at this point.

Maybe I'm not angry about this because I was never as glued to Limetown as a lot of other people were. You're right in that it was only six episodes, and it's hard to rest on that for too long. They're basically at the status of a one-hit wonder. Rusty Quill, Gabriel Urbina, Mischa Stanton, or even (for all their faults) Minnow Beats Whale have put out many times more material than the Limetown people did. Whether you like them or not, they're trying to move forward and expand the genre. Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotape already made a feature-length musical podcast parodying Serial. The memories of a pretty good mini-series from a couple years ago start to fade compared to all the new material that has been created since. So I guess, for me, I'm not angry at the situation and more just rolling my eyes at them acting like they're still super-relevant to the podcasting community. But at least we finally get a season two; I'm just not as pumped for it as I would have been a year ago.

By the way, has anyone listened to The Far Meridian? Mischa Stanton is starting to become a powerhouse producer. I'm enjoying it so far- it's sort of a light sci-fi/fantasy story about a girl with crippling agoraphobia who gets forced to visit a new location every day. She does a lot of talking to herself, and I think she really sells the character.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is why you don't donate to patreons or kickstarters or indiegogos or anything.

I'm happy to donate to Bright Sessions and Wolf 359, but they both only charge me whenever a new episode comes out.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is the Patreon stuff as worth it as it seems for Wolf359? I caught up with the new episode and mini episode and they're both great.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Obviously my Bart Simpson quote doesn't apply if you gave them money. Still, I don't understand what you mean by "I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years." It's been one and a half years since the last episode, so aren't they on track for what you were expecting?

I've been under the impression all their side projects has killed limetown.

BUT

Able Salix Royal Physician might be coming back, and I'm stoked for that, and hopefully someday we'll see more EOS10

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Mabel anymore. The writing is very creative, but the dialogue doesn't sound like dialogue.. It sounds like a goth chick got a thesaurus and this is her high school journal.

Also, this Rabbits sounded more like an episode of Tanis.. I feel like these two are a lot more intertwined than Tanis was with TBT.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2017

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

New Leaf posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Mabel anymore. The writing is very creative, but the dialogue doesn't sound like dialogue.. It sounds like a goth chick got a thesaurus and this is her high school journal.

Also, this Rabbits sounded more like an episode of Tanis.. I feel like these two are a lot more intertwined than Tanis was with TBT.

Mabel definitely leans into being weird fiction in a way that impacts how its script flows and is structured. I have a lot more tolerance for that purple and elevated language, but I can see how it can be alienating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think the most jarring thing about this season of Mabel is that it's all narrated by Mabel. The first two, you had Anna to ground you, but now you're full-on getting the stream-of-consciousness poetry of a woman who's been isolated...somewhere...for years. It's still good, just somewhat overwhelming.

Jurgan posted:

By the way, has anyone listened to The Far Meridian? Mischa Stanton is starting to become a powerhouse producer. I'm enjoying it so far- it's sort of a light sci-fi/fantasy story about a girl with crippling agoraphobia who gets forced to visit a new location every day. She does a lot of talking to herself, and I think she really sells the character.
Yeah, so far so good. I'd recommend Friends of the Void again, because it's the same kind of "narrator dropped in the middle of God knows what" feel.

• Locked thread