Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just marathoned Limetown and all I can say is :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AstroZamboni posted:

Just started listening to the Bright Sessions. Very interesting. Definitely has my attention.

Yeah TBS is pretty good.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm binging A New Winter and I'm incredibly engrossed. I don't necessarily like the one man narration considering how many characters there are, but I like the minimalist approach, and it's very weird in a good way as a story.

This is becoming one of my favorite threads. I'm rapidly realizing the SFP genre is just great for my tastes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

I'm only on episode three and I'm not totally sold. I'm digging what it's trying to do, but yeah, the presentation's where it's losing me. I'm guessing it's like a lot of things and kicks into gear in episode 4? That's where Archive 81 got me.

I can't tell you exactly when it fully got me but it was probably between 4-6, yes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I love the idea of this a LOT, but you guys really need a bigger cast. I know you said you're working on it and that's understandable, but yeah. If you're going to be acting out entire games in this style having a full (or at least moderately-sized) cast would go a huge way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

The initial idea for this was not actually a dramatization, but rather an audiobook. Most audiobooks are done by a single person doing all the voice work, narration, men and women, and that's fine. The idea is to convey the game's story...but we want this to evolve into a real radio drama-esque production and I would love to broaden our cast. Maybe for our next game we'll enlist some goons to fill in the other characters.

Hmm. I guess I read the initial premise as a radio drama but that makes sense. Either way this idea as a radio drama would be loving awesome IMO. Potentially, anyway.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Magnus Archives builds up really really well.

Yeah it's really loving good and the writing quality is way above most creepypasta.

Plus Jonny manages to change tone and inflection based on who wrote the statement in really impressive fashion (and there may be an explanation for that within the lore of the show.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually mostly agree with New Leaf. Let me start by saying there's a lot that TBS does amazingly, and the cast seems like a swell group of guys and gals. Also they do some of the romance stuff really well. I'm a fully straight man but thought the Caleb/Adam thing was loving wonderful because it was organic, relatable, and just downright sweet. It made sense and was done in a way that didn't feel forced at all. I felt like it was done in a way that I could get even though I've never had to deal with that awkward extra layer of self-discovery that comes with not being heteronormative, which means it was really well done. Also Sam/Mark is pretty well written but feels sort of weird at times, probably because the vast majority of the budding of the relationship happens offscreen because of the nature of their powers (spoilered because of story specifics rather than just the pairing). But yeah I feel like some of the interpersonal/romantic/sexual aspects of TBS feel extremely ham-fisted at times and SOME of it feels like it's done just for the sake of it.

I'd be a filthy loving hypocrite if I whined about it too much though, because I'm a disabled man and I'd kill for more cross-ability romances/relationships in media. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be but I still feel sort of looked at askance by some people when it comes to dating and the like, even being straight. It wouldn't really work in podcast form because it's borderline impossible to convey disability like mine without visual reference but I really want to see more relationships between disabled and non-disabled people in popular media platforms.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

The Caleb/Adam thing was done really well and I found myself saying "just ask him out already!" because it was awkwardly adorable. The others just felt like someone blurting out "I LIKE GUYS AND GIRLS" or "I DONT LIKE ANYONE LIKE THAT". Although I bet the Sam/Mark stuff happened in the Patreon episodes.

Pretty much agreed though I think Sam/Mark is done reasonably well regardless all things considered.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Why are people so angry that, after having a success, creators try something different? Would we rather they go the PNWS route and pump out the same tedious stories forever?

Considering they crawled so thoroughly up their own asses after one season, people have every right to be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

It's tummy feels mostly, I liked Limetown a lot gave them money (when they were begging for it,) and got nothing in return afterwards. I'm happy I helped them, but I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years, I'd much rather they did what Fink did where they immediately branched out and made a media empire. Instead they are writing a book (which will be for sale,) a TV show (Which you'll need to pay for,) and then there doing a "Full Feature Length Musical Podcast" which is like... 1 episode of Edict Zero? I just donate to a lot of different patreons, I get a lot for my money, and I felt kind of screwed by Limetown (which doesn't take donations anymore btw.)

I always was kind of bitter, because it was "hey give us money for more content," and the content never came.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. It sucks. It's good for the creators and I'm happy for them but they're going about it in a lovely, tone deaf way.

I looked it up again. There were 6 episodes of Limetown. 6 loving episodes. Admittedly they were insanely well-produced, intricate episodes, but 6 of them. Six podcast episodes and there's already a book, an alleged TV show pilot, and some other side project podcast. I am not saying the creators aren't allowed to do what they want with their own work. But how are fans not allowed to be frustrated and annoyed by the way it's been handled? They're not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore the thing that bothered me most is that they almost talked about season 2 of the podcast like it was a throwaway after rambling repeatedly about a bunch of stuff that the people who supported them in the first place probably don't care about.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2017

• Locked thread