Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Black Tapes just announced a two month hiatus after barely starting season 2. Gotta wonder to what degree they're just pulling poo poo out of their asses with no actual plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

My thinking is just that the plots of both shows have gotten so complicated and confused (the Tanis season finale introduced a massive continuity fuckup) and that Minnow Beats Whale (Terry Miles) is deep into development on two more podcasts, that they've written themselves into a corner and all of their attentions are being stretched too thin.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

God I can't loving wait for Limetown to come back.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

oneof27 posted:

It feels like one of the pitfalls of Lost. Rather than tell a story they focused on storytelling. That is to say, they are more interested in having a podcast than podcasting well.

A million times this. If you decide to make up a story as you go, don't be surprised when the audience gets upset that you've been wasting their time.

That's one thing that really sets Limetown apart. They clearly had the plot fully developed from long before they started recording, and goddamn did they make every punch count.

I also love how Limetown was one big love letter to Kurt Vonnegut.

Edit: I'm surprised there isn't mention of Qwerpline in the OP. It may be improv comedy, but you can't argue that it's definitely serialized fiction. One of my favorite podcasts right now.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The clever wordplay in episode 4 clued me in to the fact that I was listening to a masterpiece. It just gets better and better.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Holy poo poo. I just got an email from the Limetown mailing list. Season two is apparently a long way off...

Because they got a book deal and they're working on the Limetown novel and a freaking Limetown television pilot.

Holy poo poo.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Just started listening to the Bright Sessions. Very interesting. Definitely has my attention.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

For serialized fiction that isn't X-Filesey, try Qwerpline. It's improv comedy, but it tells a story with fantastic characters and it's wonderful.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

"Next time we'll take a closer look at the wooden keychain with the weird-looking rock attached, and a whole lot more. This is Tanis. I'm Nic Silver. We'll be back again in two weeks."

That's seriously how the most recent episode ends. Not a paraphrasing either. Direct quote.

Want to know just how hard a podcast can go off the loving rails? Look at Pacific Northwest Stories.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

If anybody else is like me and an enjoys the premise of Tanis but not the execution, try reading The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. It's aces.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

If you're not listening to Within the Wires yet, you may want to start. Today's episode is where what's going on is starting to come into focus and it's really cool.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think they're both pretty mediocre actors and the writing is often eye-rolling on both, but I still listen to both because the story has me hooked. Especially Tanis, for a pretty strange reason.

Around 18 years ago I was working on a scifi novel I later abandoned because I couldn't figure out how to end it. It was about number stations, a mysterious archeological site in the desert southwest, the church of Scientology, and a cabal of scientists trying to conceal the secret of an interdimensional doorway that was ultimately the origin of all the world's mythology and religions. To say that Tanis bears some similarities to it is an understatement. Even the use of a firefly fanfic board is close, although in my story it was "battlestar Galactica" (the original one).

I only had the barest outline and about forty pages written out, and the outline was all in my head. I never told anyone else about it, so it's just entertaining as hell to hear someone else telling essentially the same story only with Washington state instead of Arizona.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The season finale of Wolf 359 was pretty loving dynamite. Hell of a cliffhanger.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

Hell yah

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I had that twist figured out partway through season 1.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

If you like comedy, try Qwerpline. It's weird serialized improv comedy, like the drunken bastard offspring of Welcome to Night Vale and UHF, raised by weird al after he gained full custody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Rabbits was shockingly focused compared to Tanis and The Black Tapes. Season 1 wrapped up in a surprisingly cool way.

• Locked thread