Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

New Leaf posted:

I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional podcast characters are LGBT.. Cecil and Carlos from Night Vale are no secret of course, but if you've read the book and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be gay or bi too. Now listening to the Bright Sessions, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Chloe is asexual, Mark is bi, Adam is gay, Caleb is.. something, bi maybe? There was some suspicion on Sam's part about Damien possibly being gay or bi or forcing Mark to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular fictional podcasts are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypical sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.
  • The audience finds it interesting for some reason and gravitates to it, or rewards the storytellers for that inclusion in some way
  • The writers/performers are, know of someone, or are interested in those kinds of characters and just feel like integrating them and their sexuality into the story
  • Anyone who might object (for "good" or "bad" reasons) will also subject themselves to being called a homophobe and so just keep silent, lending greater weight to the audience who digs it
  • It's a cheap and lazy way to inject something shiny into something that might not be as interesting without it
  • It's a way to attract an audience from a parallel podcast that has made use of similar characters

It's probably more the first two.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

On the advice of this thread I started listening to Magnus. A new season of Alice Isn't Dead just started, and for some reason, it's a bit harder to go back to after hearing more solid storytelling like in Magnus and Bronzetown. I'll be combing this thread for more good stuff. I wonder if there are any cold war spy thriller story podcasts?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Len posted:

Ars Paradoxica has the cold war bit. Have you checked it?

Not yet. Looks like that's my next podcast after Magnus, thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just finished Magnus Archives' first season, and hit the Q + A. I was pleased as punch that the writer drew some inspiration from Lights Out, this creepy old radio show I used to listen to on an oldies AM station when I was a kid. It's probably kinda tame now but in the dark as an 8 year old it was pretty good stuff. I was a huge nerd and listened to The Green Hornet and Dragnet and stuff, so this whole era of audio storytelling for free is basically my favorite drat thing these days.

https://archive.org/details/LightsOutoldTimeRadio

• Locked thread