Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is S2 of Black Tapes a lot more dull and meandering than the previous season?

Also the whole pattern of minor factual revelation followed by the deep thump noise is getting really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

internet celebrity posted:

I had pretty high hopes after the suicide scene in the previous episode but yeah it's still kinda just.... i dunno. The voice acting seems to have gotten worse somehow, like they're just rushing it out because now they have an audience. TBH I really just want more Limetown.

Yeah, more Limetown would be great.

I had to force myself to listen to the last 15 minutes of the most recent Black Tapes. Like... I just don't care anymore? The plot is getting way too convoluted and I don't remember who half the characters are (nor am I going to listen to season 1 again) and it just kind of seems to be digging itself deeper into a hole.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was just about to compare it to Lost. It's a shame. I wonder if the show would have been better if the black tapes investigations were single episode short story like things and the overarching plotline focused narrowly on Dr Strand and his family...

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Hello - there is a new serial fiction podcast coming out from one of the creators of Night Vale. It is more narrative/plot oriented. I am doing the audio production and music. It's called Alice Isn't Dead.

The first episode comes out next week on March 8th, but we just shared a trailer. http://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/alice-isnt-dead-teaser

So I just listened to the first episode of this and loved it. I think the sound of the Thistle Man eating is going to haunt my nightmares. Can't wait for more!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I look forward to forgetting the meaningless plot developments of season 2 by the time it resumes.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Have there actually been any?

The host is sleepy and the doctor does/does not want help finding his wife.

This season has been so sloppy it's been hard to care about the plot.

There was the bit with the baby monitor and some weirdo muttering stuff but who cares

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Alice isn't Dead continues to be exceptionally good.

gently caress the Thistle Man.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Specifically I can't tell if the main character is purposely being condescending to every interviewee or if the writers/actors don't get that she's clearly broadcasting that she thinks these people are crazy no matter how mild their religious beliefs are.

I think the real problem is that the voice acting is bad.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Black Tapes is back and it's still terrible. I made it about 20 minutes before the sheer pain of constantly rolling my eyes made me pull over and unsubscribe from the podcast.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just listened to Small Town Horror. I think I like it so far, but the voice actor of Roger is pretty inept.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

Yeah, I just skip to the musical bit at the end after Jasika Nicole's narration finishes; I couldn't care less for Fink's self-indulgent riddle bit. I too couldn't enjoy Night Vale for the same reason. Do the riddles actually have a theme to them? I haven't listened to any since episode 2.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Within the Wires, a new podcast by the Night Vale Presents network kicked off yesterday. I listened to the first episode this morning and it seems interesting, though it didn't grab my attention as immediately as Alice Isn't Dead did.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

If anybody else is like me and an enjoys the premise of Tanis but not the execution, try reading The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. It's aces.

Great books, would recommend.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Archive 81 I thought ended strongly and I look forward to a second season.

I legitimately have no idea what happened at the end of Archive 81.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can someone spoiler Black Tapes for me? I gave up like 3 episodes into season 2 because I couldn't handle the bullshit anymore.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cool, I'm glad I stopped listening.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Within the Wires is shaping up quite nicely. I'm enjoying the slow burn forwards.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I'm about done with Small Town Horror. I put up with the bad voice acting and crummy music for the first season but this season's plot is so meandering and dull that I just can't anymore. I couldn't even finish episode 3.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I actually didn't mind S2E1 of Archive 81, but I don't have high hopes for it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you aren't listening to Missing Richard Simmons, you should.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Is this fiction?

It isn't, and I'm an idiot who forgot that this thread isn't just serialised podcasts, but rather serialised fictional podcasts. My bad!

It's still good though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I'm done with Archive 81. I couldn't even make it to the end of the most recent episode; I just don't care anymore.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
God forbid the gays tell people they like to gently caress each other in a world where almost every single heteronormative narrative story on just about any medium has a hamfisted sex scene between a man and a woman shoved into it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rob Filter posted:

Archive 81 is a horror podcast, and is similar in premise to the Magnus Archives while being its own, completely different thing.

The podcast begins with the protagonist starting his new job; archiving some recordings. In an abandoned military bunker. Deep in a forest. In complete isolation.

I won't spoil anything else, but its great. The audio engineering is fantastic, the writing is good, and the cast are excellent voice actors, especially in S2 where the main cast is greatly expanded.

I thought season 2 of Archive 81 was dreadful and stopped listening after two episodes. Has it improved?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally decided to listen to Magnus Archives and: wow, this is really good! I'd read a short story collection by whoever writes this.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are we having round 2 of Podcast Gay Panic?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Magnus Archives question from about episode 25-26, spoilered for people that haven't listened yet:

This Jane Prentiss person they keep talking about -- has she been discussed in a previous episode in detail, or are we only supposed to know about her through the little tidbits of information that Martin and Johnathan discuss in the episode "Colony"?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm struggling to keep track of everything in Magnus but worry about searching for flowcharts or the like for fear of spoilers. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just keep listening and ignore the weird flowcharts; unless you're absurdly obsessed with all the little details, the podcasts's writing is good enough to help you keep up with the main points of the metanarrative without much effort. I'm distracted half the time I listen to the show but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on (at least enough to enjoy the show).

Also I love Alice Isn't Dead but someone really needsd to tell Joseph Fink that his weird outro knock knock jokes are really, really bad.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm about half-way through episode 8 of Mabel and I think I'm enjoying it? Not entirely sure what on earth is going on though.

AFAIK Mabel and Anna are the same person and also the house is kind of a spooky ghost?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Mabel more in the earlier episodes. I'm caught up except for one that came out in the last few days, and I could do without ear-splitting yelling out of nowhere..

Oh, it starts having jumpscares? That's bogus, I might stop listening then. I scare easily and mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so that's probably not a good combo.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead is really starting to drag.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

I enjoyed the latest episode, though it honestly felt kind of poorly put together. I really like the antagonist. And I'm really sick of Fink's outros.

I honestly have no idea what is going on. Is the antagonist meant to be the woman she met in the basement of that house, who herself works for the shipping company that opposes the Thistle Men? or does she work for the government, who is allied with them? do they want to kill keesha (sp?) because she won't stop trying to find out more about the Thistle Men?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^^ oh. I'm so confused.

oatgan posted:

I've been skipping all of fink's stuff since the second episode

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

I'm not going to listen to that so someone please lmk when season 2 of limetown drops

:same:

• Locked thread