Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I spend five hours of my shift alone at work so I've been listening to these sorts of podcasts lately. I just caught up on the thread and added a bunch of things I hadn't already found bit I'll give some brief thoughts on what I've listened too.

We're Alive: the first couple seasons are pretty decent but it ends on kind of a lame fart. It was like they didn't actually have any idea for an ending so they made some stuff up and I wasn't really a fan. It's a shame they pitched the idea as a tv show just before the Walking Dead craze, a year or two later and they could have had a better budget.

Leviathan Chronicles: I haven't actually finished season 2 but I don't think it's actually ended yet. Season 1 isn't bad it's a pulpy adventure series that segues from a National Treasure sort of feel into an alien invasion story.

Byron Chronicles: I don't think I ever caught up with this. It has an rear end update schedule of randomly and without warning. About a Sam's Choice Sandman doing something with the city of Portland. He ends up squaring off against a being with power to rival God.

Black Tapes: started with promise but by the time I caught up to the newest episode I've really begun to lose interest. There was so much potential and it's just kind of...wasted

Tanis: just like BT. I like the concept but Nic is just the worst. And like others have mentioned there should be more interaction between the shows if they take place concurrently. How did Alex not mention Nic going missing in her own show?

Night Vale: the early stuff was the best but as it went from weird town stuff to the Cecil/Carlos show I began to lose interest. I can see why people would like that but I was there for the Twilight Zoney happenings not the radio hosts private life.

I don't think I've listened to any others lately but once I listen to the others mentioned in the thread I'll post my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

This is set up for poo poo later, it goes back to what it was in a bit.

When is in a bit? I think the last one I listened to was the heist episode.

I'm about halfway through Limetown and holy poo poo it is so much better than Tanis. She is a better protagonist than Nic can ever hope to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double posting. I just finished Limetown and that's where it stops? And it's been on break for how long?! Shenanigans!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started the Bright Sessions today. Quite enjoyable so far. It's a psychologist for people with special abilities only it feels like there's an underlying plot building.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's probably just me but I think it's weird that podcasts ask for patreon donations one to two episodes in. I get that podcasts with actual production values aren't cheap and take time but it seems weird to start asking for donations right off the bat before people know if your series is going to be worth supporting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been hearing a lot about stamps.com

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just finished Bright Sessions. I don't want to wait until fall for more :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Truth is good but all over the place with episode themes. Some are really good others are kind of bland. The first one is a what if story where the lunar lander crashed stranding the astronauts on the moon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wolf 359 ep 32

Poor plant monster ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The opening parts of Wolf 359 remind me of Red Dwarf. Just a few people stuck on a ship with a terrible AI and the hijinks that happen

Edit: and done with Wolf 359 until September. I've listened to Tanis, Black Tapes, Bright Sessions and Archive 81. Any other good ones to binge through? They don't even need to be podcasts I'm okay with radio shows. I think those are still popular in England?

Len fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 6, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

I think only one person mentioned it in the thread, but I liked The Behemoth, and it helps that episodes are really short. I'm realizing with the new show that is out from that producer, Scotch, is pretty slow if you listen to it in real time. I think I like The Behemoth more because I just zipped through all the episodes. His overall stories are intriguing, but not much happens in each individual episode.

Also, were Limetown and Alice Isn't Dead purposeful omissions from your list? You should listen to those.

I forgot to mention Limetown. I haven't done Alice isn't dead yet. Is it more than pandering to tumblr like Nightvale became?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Does "pandering to tumblr" mean "has gay characters?"

Not just has gay characters but made their relationship front and center. I liked Nightvale more when it was just a town full of weird poo poo with a gay host. Then the relationship between Cecil and Carlos took center stage and the weird stuff was the underplayed background and I jumped off. At least that was how it felt for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

The series changed over time because Finknor wanted it to. You don't have to like it, but it's silly to call it "pandering" just because it's not catering to your tastes anymore.

It just felt like the change kicked in around the time it blew up big on tumblr. I can blame tumblr for whatever I feel like though even if it was always the original intent to switch things to a romcom laid over the Twilight Zone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I stopped listening to it then too but I'm not a dipshit who gets mad at fan girls.

My girlfriends sister is one of those fan girls so that might have something to do with it?

Jesus all I wanted to know was if it was more like Nightvale classic and more supernatural/slightly off or like New Nightvale and was more of a light-hearted thing with the creepy stuff mostly taking a backseat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

The supernatural/slightly-off is like early Night Vale, but much darker, and the central plot is a woman searching for her wife, so....it's both?

Scoop Hound may be the Night Vale knockoff you're looking for. Men in suits have invaded the town of Basin. A man calling himself Scoop Hound reports on the situation from a bunker 40 feet underground. It's not bad.

I have no problem with it being about a woman looking for her wife. I just figured it would be more in a Cecil/Carlos style and ignored it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I listened to episode one on the way home. Is the narrator Dana?

And yeah rereading what I posted I sound like a gigantic prick. The issue I had with Nightvale isn't the gay relationship it's just that there's a relationship at all. It would be like if Black Tapes suddenly became about an Alex/Strand romance and the tapes were secondary it would turn me off the series and I would check out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Echophonic posted:

The narrator is Jasika Nicole, but she's not playing Dana Cardinal.

I didn't think she was playing Dana but I thought that was the same actress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So far it kind of reminds me of Silent Hill meets what I imagine Twin Peaks is like.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scoop Hound reminds me of a short story I read. I don't remember the name but it was in a book about stories after a lovecraftian apocalypse. The story was about these smiling men that had taken over a city and watched everyone occasionally doing things like giving them guns in their ration boxes just to see what happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

Small Town Horror has started its second season. The first season was a little uneven at times, and some of the voice talent was just out and out bad, but there seems to be a good mystery at the core, and the preview for season two was creepy as hell.

Yeah I'm curious to see where it goes. Hopefully it isn't slow like Black Tapes or Tanis.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did The Byron Chronicles ever end? I used to listen to it but it felt like I only got one episode a year.

In other news I'm about to finish Magnus Archives today. I really like it but I want to know more about the setting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have a question for those of you who do podcasts. I don't have a frame of reference for how much a podcast costs to make so when they talk about how much they cost to make it's just kind of meaningless words. About how much does it cost to make a podcast?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nothing about the Magnus Archives finale? Specifically the bit at the end with the missing tapes and having Not Sascha named in the credits. Apparently the only tapes that were stolen were the ones where she talks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Drunk Tomato posted:

We're Alive is dumb but I had fun with it.

We're Alive should have ended sooner than it did. After a point it felt like they were running out of ideas. And the fact that what 16 years after the apocalypse (small spoilers on who lives/dies) Burt is still alive and well training the troops seems really off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, it's just not doing anything. And the guy sounds like he has a headcold or something.

I was thinking a mouth full of cotton balls.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Does anyone else have volume issues with Magnus Archives? This is all kinda anecdotal, but I only listen in my car.. I keep my volume at 10-12 for normal podcasts, but Magnus I have to crank up to 17. At that volume the intro music is blaring, but once he puts on that tape recorder filter I can barely hear him unless I turn it up.

Same. My speakers are old and stock so I have to crank it up into the 50s but the intro is loud as hell in the 30s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/darkest-night/id1163871694?mt=2 Has else listened to this? I went through the first two episodes today and it's got potential to be okay?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

calandryll posted:

I listened to it on Halloween when both episodes dropped. It has potential, plus they got a lot of bigger named people for the voice acting.

Yeah the first two are intriguing. I'll give it a few more episodes to find out if it's something to keep up with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

D34THROW posted:

Starting Welcome to Night Vale...what the gently caress am I listening to? This sounds like somebody's bad acid trip. I'm intrigued though.

A fun little NPR from the twilight zone until mid year 2 then it switches to focus more on Cecil rather than the creepy town stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mokinokaro posted:

It does have those, but they don't really start until year 2.

Len, how much have you listened to? Years 2 and 3 are a little more focused on Cecil, but it goes back to desert town weirdness after a while. There's still a bit more of a focus on characters in general though.

I jumped off when Kevin named the desert other world the new Desert Bluffs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I found and went through a series called Help Me the other day it wasn't bad. It's only like 15 episodes long and they're short. A girls friend killed herself and she found a tape recorder of the events leading up to it and then spooky stuff happens. It's worth listening to imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, it's rough and amateurish in places, but there are some real bright spots.

I'm not sure if the audio mixing was off or my cars speakers are garbage but the music was louder than the voices at times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been listening to Wooden Overcoats and I dig it. It reminds me of things like Black Books or Father Ted just a cheesy British sitcom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Meinberg posted:

I recently binged the entire first season of Mabel and while I have no idea what actually happened, it was really great. It also has transcripts on the web site which is a rare and nice touch.

Yeah I went through season 1 Friday at work and I'm not really sure what happened.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wolf 359 gettin' tense. Gonna be interesting to see where season 4 goes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I checked out the podcast mentioned by the newest Bright Sessions, Alexandria Archives. It isn't terrible kind of a Nightvale knockoff that cuts to NoSleep style stories (only with less child abuse) possibly worth keeping an eye on.

Did season 2 of Small Town Horror get better? I dropped it because it wasn't really doing anything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It felt like they had a story in mind then decided to fluff it up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah it's weird. But then again 30 Rock also showed GE in a mostly negative light so maybe they understand they're a megacorp that can do whatever they want and are rolling with it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

The Box - A woman finds an old box full of X-Files-like journal reports that she takes to be a writing project. When she starts a podcast to read them, things start to get out of control.

I'm four episodes in and it's not bad.

Sweet I've run out of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to. Been binge listening to things during this work week from hell. Just two days left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finished up lifeafter today and I think I liked The Message more overall. The ending was pretty okay up until he goes back to his wife that chose her long dead sister over him. She faked her death and left him miserable for 8 months and he's just going to forgive her? That seemed a stretch to me but I've not had to deal with bereavement so maybe it isn't?

Len fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 24, 2016

• Locked thread