Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Echophonic posted:

Anyone else listen to Alexandria Archives? I just got done with the first episode and I'm digging it, the first story was pretty solid and I think they did a good job with the late night college radio format.

Yeah I checked it out after the last bright Sessions callout. Reminds me of night Vale with creepy pasta instead of music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh god why is The Box doing a black lives matter episode? I feel like a paranormal story podcast is not the best place to soapbox.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

At this point I'm still listening BECAUSE of the trainwreck aspect

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The box goes to poo poo pretty much immediately after she decides to steal the books and go on a road trip. Like goddamn the quality drop was insane

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My favorite are the people out the gate on day 1 with no previous content going "hey give us money on Pateron for special content and mini episodes"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terrible Opinions posted:

You mean like the Box did? I'm still bitter about who terrible that was.

Yeah. The beginning episodes were rough but listenable. But then she did a literal #blacklivesmatter in the middle of her paranormal story involving haunted stretch Armstrong dolls and I just kind of checked out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kraps posted:

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice? Let's make an episode like that again except this time it'll be horribly depressing!

It reminded me of this:

clickhole posted:

Barry Wilmore

“You never know true beauty until you see Earth from space, or true terror until you hear someone knocking on the space station door from outside. You look through the porthole and see an astronaut, but all your crew is inside and accounted for. You use the comm to ask who it is and he says he’s Ramirez returning from a repair mission, but Ramirez is sitting right next to you in the command module and he’s just as confused as you are. When you tell the guy this over the radio he starts banging on the door louder and harder, begging you to let him in, saying he’s the real Ramirez. Meanwhile, the Ramirez inside with you is pleading to keep the airlock shut. It really puts life on Earth into perspective.”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thank you Terms for playing the emergency broadcast sound with no warning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

I finished the Cleveland episode earlier and only noticed one time where a line got repeated, and it sounded more like a hiccup in the audio file rather than a bad reading left in. Regardless, it should have been caught in editing.

To be fair the Cleveland episode does have a warning at the beginning that says something like she's editing from her car in lovely wifi so expect it to be rough so I assumed that was intentional.

But the black lives matter episode was tonally awful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I started the Bright Sessions this morning and I'm motoring through them.

Caleb and Adam totally end up gay for each other, right?

yep and it's pretty adorable because they're two idiot teennagers

Magnus Archives has a Patreon now. $10/no gets you expanded info about the world of the Magnus Archives.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Nice. They're well worth the cash!

Yeah I'm going to probably sign up when I get home and go until I don't think it's good anymore or if it turns out the expanded setting stuff sucks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else notice how they just shoehorn them in when it doesn't really matter as well? Like does Sallys sexual preference matter to the story in any way? No? So why are we bringing it up?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Montalvo posted:

God forbid the gays tell people they like to gently caress each other in a world where almost every single heteronormative narrative story on just about any medium has a hamfisted sex scene between a man and a woman shoved into it.

What if I don't like it when those happen too? Because hamfisted shoehorned in love stories and sex scenes are just the worst.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

I bet Johnathon Sims and Martin are gay, and gay for each other, and extremely tsundere.

Actually you'll find Tim is the resident non-hetero character

:goonsay:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

gently caress, you're absolutely right

Yep he's the bisexual man sleeping with two different people in the same department at the police station for information because that isn't a bit ham handed or anything.

I did pledge to the magnus archive patreon. So far there isn't anything worth checking out in the way of extras. Just a random page from the list of stuff in artifact storage. I'll keep you guys updated if anyone cares to know when/if extra stuff goes up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Caleb/Adam thing was done really well and I found myself saying "just ask him out already!" because it was awkwardly adorable. The others just felt like someone blurting out "I LIKE GUYS AND GIRLS" or "I DONT LIKE ANYONE LIKE THAT". Although I bet the Sam/Mark stuff happened in the Patreon episodes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

doctorfrog posted:

On the advice of this thread I started listening to Magnus. A new season of Alice Isn't Dead just started, and for some reason, it's a bit harder to go back to after hearing more solid storytelling like in Magnus and Bronzetown. I'll be combing this thread for more good stuff. I wonder if there are any cold war spy thriller story podcasts?

Ars Paradoxica has the cold war bit. Have you checked it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Great. Become a patron on patreon, transcripts are a perk.

Transcripts are going free for all according to an update they posted

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I dunno, today's wasn't bad..

Also, I'm biting my tongue on the super unique new character on The Bright Sessions.

Pretty sure we can count the number of straight characters on one hand now.

Things we learned about this new character:
She can sleep walk
Is gay

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

This wasn't her first appearance. She was featured in an earlier episode having a discussion with Agent Green. Also, we know that she's nervous about how to relate to other people and is worried about inadvertently invading their privacy. Saying all there is to her is sexuality and power is reductive and insulting. Yeah, it's odd how hardly any of the characters are straight (though Joan, Owen, and Sam all seem to qualify), but it's not like there's nothing to her but a box on a checklist. It seems like when a queer character is introduced, people immediately respond with "pandering! Just make good characters and stop worrying about if they're gay!" It's kind of like when a white guy gets cast to play a minority role in a big budget movie and people defend it by saying "we just want the best actors and didn't think about race."

She has trouble relating to people like Sam? Or worrying about invading privacy like Chloe?

I don't remember her first appearance though I honestly thought it was this one. I'm sure there's a goal for her in the end but as far as it goes so far she feels like a retread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can you spoil it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I keep meaning to do that with this newest episode but forgetting. Have we met whatshername before?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Speaking of Lovecraft, there was a pretty funny slam on him in the latest Archive 81.

I've got that on back burner while I get through It was it the standard "he was a racist! :v:" slam?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

It was, and I hope it finally kills off all the "Damien is a poor woobie who just needs a hug!" poo poo. I knew Damien was an asshat, but even I didn't expect him to go so far as threatening to make Sam kill herself. drat, that was dark. Also, loved the interaction between Wadsworth and Damien. That park must be enormous to contain both their egos.

In addition, after relistening to the previous episode, I agree there's not much to Rose, at least not yet. I'm sure Lauren has lots of notes about her and is seeding future stories, but "how do I tell my crush about my powers?" is literally Caleb's arc from season 1 and early 2. I think I was just annoyed that, had her crush been a man, people would have just ignored her and talked about the rest of the story. She really was only about a quarter of the episode. But because she was a lesbian, it became a whole "thing" for us to argue about.

I know Tumblr is a huge thing and I can't blanket all of it. But Damien could literally murder someone and they would still be all "he's so innocent and misunderstood" just like it did with the Boston Bomber.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently the last season of Black Tapes starts in August. It's going to be six episodes long but after that floaty season 2 I doubt it'll sink the landing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

So I just found out about Archive 81 season 2, and decided to listen to it.

What.

The.

gently caress?

I'm really unsure how I feel about it. I like how it went a different way from just audio found footage since that seems to be common with this format but they didn't remove that entirely and the tapes he listens to are the weakest parts imo

It was like they tried to take the GE theater route of having sound be the bad guy since it's an audio only format and not doing it as well

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cool kids inc. posted:

Am I a crazy person or are we still waiting on the last season of Wolf359?

That comes in the next couple months I think. It was a long delay when the last episode ended

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank was a great part of the episode

"She's immune to Damien"
"She isn't immune to a pipe to the head"

And Caleb basically Hulked out I'm down. Dude had it coming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started Magnus Archives over the other day at work when I finished the audiobook I was going through. I think of the early stuff the fifth episode Thrown Away is the weakest. Even at this point if you check out the spergtastic flow chart http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg it barely has anything to do with the rest of the series. I'm wondering if it's going to remain that way or somehow connect to things beyond "Well teeth showed up in this episode too"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Montalvo posted:

Just keep listening and ignore the weird flowcharts; unless you're absurdly obsessed with all the little details, the podcasts's writing is good enough to help you keep up with the main points of the metanarrative without much effort. I'm distracted half the time I listen to the show but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on (at least enough to enjoy the show).

Also I love Alice Isn't Dead but someone really needsd to tell Joseph Fink that his weird outro knock knock jokes are really, really bad.

Yeah I'm completely up to date and I donate to the patreon it's just of the first 10 or so this is easily my least favorite. It's just "so we found some weird trash" and there's been no pay off yet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just hit season 2 in my Magnus Archives relisten. I'm wondering if Lightner or Sasha are going to be the big event at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

oatgan posted:

Hilbert did slowly murder Captain Loveless' crew and also tried to kill Eiffel, Hera and Minkowski a couple times

And did some genetic engineering on spiders

• Locked thread