Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

I feel like the Black Tapes have gotten way worse, the new season has been downright bad.

Exactly. TBT feels just like Tanis now. Questions for questions sake, no narrative flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
The moment that killed Black Tapes for me is when they got the guy from the No Sleep podcast to do a guest voice. Despite doing at least one story a show, the guy has zero acting chops.

Not to mention he threw a tantrum when people asked for trigger warnings on rapey stories.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

Black Tapes just announced a two month hiatus after barely starting season 2. Gotta wonder to what degree they're just pulling poo poo out of their asses with no actual plan.

That was really confusing. Plus it seems insane that they would start a real-world plot element and then not put an episode out for the date in question.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

HIJK posted:

Their cited reason was that Alex Regan is having health issues. The actress may indeed be having some severe medical problem or there might be something else going on behind the scenes. We're not privy to it because we're part of the creative team.

I hope everyone's okay and that nobody dies because of real life health problems.

Chill out goons, geez.

I mean, I'm not actually giving them flack if there's an actual issue. Their reason seemed to be in-universe, so I reacted to that. I didn't get any indication the actual actors were having any sort of issue.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Montalvo posted:

I look forward to forgetting the meaningless plot developments of season 2 by the time it resumes.

Have there actually been any?

The host is sleepy and the doctor does/does not want help finding his wife.

This season has been so sloppy it's been hard to care about the plot.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

nerdpony posted:

And we still haven't learned more about the girl with the upside down face, which was probably my favorite Black Tape. When is she going to come back? How was she relevant?

Because the demon has an upside down face.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm really enjoying what I've heard of The Bright Sessions so far.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Don't worry, he'll take a few weeks off soon to catch up on his rest.

Naw, there's no ARG elements they need to abandon.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
The Bright Sessions continues to be the best example of the genre right now. The acting is great, the story is being told dynamically and with a lot of separate through threads. It's a really great time.

Tanis continues to suck.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Oh hey!

They brought in the host from The NoSleep Podcast to poo poo up Small Town Horror as well.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That guy is on a quest to be the most generic voiced man possible on every podcast he can, and godspeed I guess

He has a fine radio voice, but he is entirely incapable of giving a performance that isn't a grandpa telling spooky stories around a campfire.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The Nosleep guy seems to be pathologically incapable of dropping his caustic, one-note Cryptkeeper affectation. He wreaks havoc on everything he's in.

#PrayForPodcasts

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

calandryll posted:

I'm also confused on the time line between The Black Tapes and Tanis. There is no crossover between them, makes no sense. I'm pretty much done with them. There was something there but it's just meh.

Thanks for the Behemoth suggestion. I'm really enjoying it and it's about the right length.

There was actually a bit two episodes ago where Alex teased Nic about searching for invisible cabins in magical forests. But you're right, for two shows that are set in the same universe with such potential for interaction, it's baffling that each iteration of Alex and Nic seem to be separate entities.

The show is bad.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Len posted:

It's probably just me but I think it's weird that podcasts ask for patreon donations one to two episodes in. I get that podcasts with actual production values aren't cheap and take time but it seems weird to start asking for donations right off the bat before people know if your series is going to be worth supporting.

I think if you're creating a show with patreon in mind, it's fine. There's no obligation to give away work for free and if you know that's the model you want to go for, it helps to get that started as early as possible.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Len posted:

My girlfriends sister is one of those fan girls so that might have something to do with it?

Jesus all I wanted to know was if it was more like Nightvale classic and more supernatural/slightly off or like New Nightvale and was more of a light-hearted thing with the creepy stuff mostly taking a backseat.

Yeah, but you went about it in a way that didn't get that across and was also pretty inflammatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
The point at which the sound effects went from diagetic to ambience is really telling about the show's quality.

• Locked thread