Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I've been enjoying The Bright Sessions. One-on-one therapy sessions involving patients with extraordinary abilities like time travel and mind reading. The simple format helps to iron out the roughness in the dialogue and acting; you'd expect an intimate conversation with a comparative stranger to be awkward. There's a larger plot emerging in the background, but the focus on the characters is what sells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Archive 81 is a bit rough, but not bad. It's a fairly layered narrative; the audio files of guy who's gone missing. He was archiving the audio tapes of a woman who was interviewing the residents of a New York City apartment building in the mid-nineties.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Is this played as a straight mystery or is there a supernatural element to it?
It' going towards the supernatural in a House of Leaves or Twin Peaks sort of way. As much surrealism as supernatural.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Black Tapes and Tanis have become almost unlistenable. Between the question/answer repetition, the 'uhhhrrrrmmmmmms,' the dramatic pauses for musical cues, and the increasingly intrusive commercials, there's like 5 minutes of content per episode, tops.

I'm 4 episodes into The Behemoth and so far so goos. A giant humanoid comes out of the ocean and just starts walking. It's told from the view of the slightly angsty 15 year old who follows it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Help Me is very amateurish, but it has it's moments. It's kind of on the level of Small Town Horror and A New Winter. It follows a woman's investigation into her friend’s apparent suicide and the weird/supernatural things that start happening to her as a result.

Scotch is made by the same people who made The Behemoth (which has ended). It's only two episodes in, and the episodes are short, so it's a little hard to get a read on it. It's also supernatural thriller/mystery.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously considering making a "Support My Podcast" podcast. Each half hour episode describes in detail How & Why you Can & Should donate to the podcast. Our quality podcast is supported by listeners like you. This week's episode is funded by last week's donations. In it we discuss how you can contribute to next week's episode.

Episode 1: Donations.
Episode 2: PayPal.
Episode 3: Patreon.
Episode 4: Amazon Wish Lists (guest starring the host of "Podcasts Supporting Podcasts").

I may need to start a Kickstarter...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

My girlfriends sister is one of those fan girls so that might have something to do with it?

Jesus all I wanted to know was if it was more like Nightvale classic and more supernatural/slightly off or like New Nightvale and was more of a light-hearted thing with the creepy stuff mostly taking a backseat.
The supernatural/slightly-off is like early Night Vale, but much darker, and the central plot is a woman searching for her wife, so....it's both?

Scoop Hound may be the Night Vale knockoff you're looking for. Men in suits have invaded the town of Basin. A man calling himself Scoop Hound reports on the situation from a bunker 40 feet underground. It's not bad.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I recently binged through The Magnus Archives.

The Magnus Institute tracks paranormal incidents. Each episode is a stand-alone ghost/horror story, though a larger and more connected plot emerges. The narrator sounds like a 15 year old from Pittsburgh trying to sound like a 50 from London, but aside from that, it's good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
King Falls AM is pretty amusing. It's got a good cast of characters.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

calandryll posted:

Yeah I'm working my way through this. Enjoying the short format and I really like that there are quite a few different characters. The two old fishermen are the best.
I like the rivalry between Greg Frickert and Ben.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

I want to like Manus Archives, but the narrator sounds exactly like what I think "Pipe Smoking Goon" sounds like and I can't help but be irritated the entire time at how insufferable be sounds.
The narrator grew on me, but he definitely had to do so.

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought the ending of Archive 81 was weak, but serviceable. I'm curious where there going to go with it now that they're out of the archive which was their while schtick.
I liked the ending, but I think the the whole thing would have benefitted from more episodes. There really weren't enough to justify the main character's freaking out so quickly about what he was listening to, and there were enough narrative layers that more episodes would have added to the story without the wheel-spinning bloat of the PNWS podcasts.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Can someone spoiler Black Tapes for me? I gave up like 3 episodes into season 2 because I couldn't handle the bullshit anymore.
It sucks.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Greater Boston is pretty good. Interconnected lives along the Red Line in Boston. It's quirky in a Northern Exposure king of way, which can get irritating, but overall is good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hughlander posted:

It's the highlight of my week when I see that it's downloaded for the ride home. Sad it's season is almost over, but still what was it 34? 38? episodes this season.
This was the 38th episode and there are 40 in the season. Evidently, they're planning on 4 or 5 seasons with a defined story and end game.

I'm amazed at how consistently strong it is and I can't believe I was critical of the narrator in the beginning.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"I noticed something around his neck, a kind of...necklace."

:ughh:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Did anyone listen to the Magnus Archives episode this week? It was amazing. And they got some legit laughs out of me too.
A ghost! Really?!

The season finale airs today. I'm guessing that spider-person Michael comes and helps them against worm-person Jane Prentis.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

Nothing about the Magnus Archives finale? Specifically the bit at the end with the missing tapes and having Not Sascha named in the credits. Apparently the only tapes that were stolen were the ones where she talks.
One of the tapes, A Distortion, is where she meets Michael, the enemy of the worms. So is it his people who stole the tapes or someone looking for information about them?

I also liked Gertrude's unsettlingly conventional demise.

Two more I've gone through:

The Infinite Now - This is kind of a Night Vale ripoff, it goes for the humorous metaphysical. It's uneven and the episodes vary in length from 2 to 20 minutes, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Bootlegger - Bootlegger is a radio drama using the events of World War II as if they occur in the near future with an artificial intelligence as the aggressor. Each week a ham radio operator gives an update to the events surrounding him.

Unfortunately, the podcast has been discontinued without resolution; it looks like they didn't have enough of an audience to warrant the expense of making it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I started The Magnus Archives and I'm really digging it so far. It's like listening to really good ghost stories. The narrator is kinda funny to me.. he's not just reading the entries as an archivist, he changes the tone and speed of his voice and really acts out the emotions and inflections of the first hand accounts.
I particularly liked that in Ep 14 Piecemeal where he's reading the statement of a violent thug.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I think I'm about done with Small Town Horror. I put up with the bad voice acting and crummy music for the first season but this season's plot is so meandering and dull that I just can't anymore. I couldn't even finish episode 3.
Yeah, it's just not doing anything. And the guy sounds like he has a headcold or something.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

I was thinking a mouth full of cotton balls.
No, it's definitely sinus-related. He sounds like Droopy from Mr. Show. Which, now that I think about it, makes the podcast more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNNRnjgJgI

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

peter banana posted:

Is there an "episodic fiction" thread? I found one called Knifepoint Horror, which is a different short story every episode and updated very sporadicaly, but the back catalogue is good.
I tried The Drabblecast and The Dribblecast; extra-short, open-source stories of varying quality. Both have an enormous back catalog.

Snuffman posted:

I love Knifepoint (doubly for its lack of Mailkimp-squarespace-mattress advertising) but I'm pretty sure it's done now, or at least that's the impression I get from the description for the last/latest episode. :smith:

Some of the narrators are pretty awful, I will say that. Marbles-in-mouth bad.

I went through about 9 episodes of Knifepoint Horror and I want to like it, but all the narrators sound like text-to-speech programs. The beta versions.

Snuffman posted:

Anyone listened to LifeAfter? It was pushed pretty heavily in the ads of the last episode of Heavyweight and I was wondering if it's any good before I invest the time.

The reviews seem to waiver between "omg best podcast" and "poorly acted, scripted, produced and doesn't live up to premise".
It's only one episode in and it's by the creators of The Message, so those both of those descriptions seem accurate.

It's not great, but I enjoyed the first episode well enough.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

I found and went through a series called Help Me the other day it wasn't bad. It's only like 15 episodes long and they're short. A girls friend killed herself and she found a tape recorder of the events leading up to it and then spooky stuff happens. It's worth listening to imo

Yeah, it's rough and amateurish in places, but there are some real bright spots.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

I'm not sure if the audio mixing was off or my cars speakers are garbage but the music was louder than the voices at times.
I listen on headphones so it's not an issue, but I think it was the mixing.

Talmonis posted:

So far I've enjoyed LImetown, The Black Tapes Files and Archive 81. Any recommendations on those lines for others along these lines? I love creeping dread.
Definitely check out The Magnus Archives. Alice Isn't Dead is also pretty good for surreal creeping dread.

I just started Spines which has a similar feel to Alice Isn't Dead.

"Two months ago, Wren woke up covered in blood, suffering from memory loss, and surrounded by the remnants of some strange cult ritual."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I recently found Mabel: "A podcast about ghosts, family secrets, strange houses, and missed connections."

It's mostly in the form of voicemails left to 'Mabel' by her grandmother's caregiver. It can be disjointed and stream-of-consciousness, but not in a bad way. It builds a nice atmosphere.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Box - A woman finds an old box full of X-Files-like journal reports that she takes to be a writing project. When she starts a podcast to read them, things start to get out of control.

I'm four episodes in and it's not bad.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

Sweet I've run out of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to. Been binge listening to things during this work week from hell. Just two days left.
Here's a library of drama podcasts. A lot of them have been mentioned here, but there are at least a few new ones.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am listening to that and I loving lost it when a man who I am just going to assume is Resident Evil Character Barry Burton yelled "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?".

e: The gently caress is this lovely monologue. I don't know you or care about you lady I don't want to know about your stupid college experience.

ee: This is such garbage. Shame on you, poster who thought this was good.

:smith:

I thought it had promise, but ultimately it's a goddamned mess. In later episodes they leave in multiple takes of the same line.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Finished Homecoming, it was a solid listen. Decent story elevated by superb acting and production values. I'm glad they wrapped it up at six episodes to avoid padding.

One tiny quibble, it was offputting how each episode including a self-congratulatory "making of" feature, and felt the need to remind the listener ten times that this is an Eli Horowitz production, written by Eli Horowitz, directed by Eli Horowitz, craft services by... etc.. That stuff is fine, but why after each short episode? Release all that after the series is over.

Homecoming is really good. Probably my favorite of the big-name productions.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Man, I don't remember Nick and MK hooking up at all.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Christ, A New Winter is loving terrible.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Good news, everyone! The Box will be returning for 16 episodes! :buddy:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.
The Magnus Archives is exactly what you're looking for.

Alice Isn't Dead is made by the Night Vale people, but is much tighter and more focused. Spines is similar and also good.

Mabel is fantastic, but it's less horror and more a poetic, stream-of-consciousness haunting.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I've said it before, but Magnus would make a stellar modern take on a show like "The Twilight Zone" or something. Different low budget actors every week acting out the story while someone narrates.

Now I want to see a Magnus Archives version of Drunk History.

Mabel started its third season today and continues to be great.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oh good, Rabbits introduced a smug-douchebag billionaire who talks in cryptic non-statements because Tanis' Teslanova jabroni wasn't enough.

I think I'm done with PNWS. The writing is just loving awful.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

Mabel is fantastic. Definitely my favorite podcast. Yeah, it's all crazy person voicemails.

I'm pretty sure the last episode of Night Vale was an homage to Mabel.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

New Leaf posted:

It sounds like the strange disjointed mutterings of the Faceless Old Woman.. or maybe a bit like "Alice Isn't Dead" at parts.

At any rate, its very compelling. I'm ~7 episodes in and just started this afternoon.

Episode 8 is where it turns great.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead is really starting to drag.

I enjoyed the latest episode, though it honestly felt kind of poorly put together. I really like the antagonist. And I'm really sick of Fink's outros.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I honestly have no idea what is going on. Is the antagonist meant to be the woman she met in the basement of that house, who herself works for the shipping company that opposes the Thistle Men? or does she work for the government, who is allied with them? do they want to kill keesha (sp?) because she won't stop trying to find out more about the Thistle Men?

No, I'm pretty sure the antagonist only appeared in the mini-episode and pulled her over in the premier episode. She's part of something bigger and apart from the Thistle Men and has been stalking Keisha.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone else listening to Friends of the Void?

I'm enjoying it, though I'm not entirely sure what it's about or what's going on. It starts out as a guy trapped in a lighthouse with something waiting outside. He tries to get messages out and distracts himself with various tapes he finds. The tapes are different stories that don't really have anything to do with the main narration. There are also a couple of pissy Artificial Intelligences who snipe at each other and try to lead him around. The whole thing has a very odd feel. The first season had kind of laconic humor while the second season is fairly melancholy.

Slumberland is also good.

A sound archivist is hired to record the people and events in the Northwest island community of Slumberland. It's a standard wacky-townsfolk narrative, almost like a cross between Night Vale and Greater Boston. It can be wildly uneven depending on the character the episode is focused on and your tolerance for their acting choices, but it can be interesting.

I'd recommend giving both a shot, they have a standard episode length of ~20 minutes and you'll get a decent sense of them pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think the most jarring thing about this season of Mabel is that it's all narrated by Mabel. The first two, you had Anna to ground you, but now you're full-on getting the stream-of-consciousness poetry of a woman who's been isolated...somewhere...for years. It's still good, just somewhat overwhelming.

Jurgan posted:

By the way, has anyone listened to The Far Meridian? Mischa Stanton is starting to become a powerhouse producer. I'm enjoying it so far- it's sort of a light sci-fi/fantasy story about a girl with crippling agoraphobia who gets forced to visit a new location every day. She does a lot of talking to herself, and I think she really sells the character.
Yeah, so far so good. I'd recommend Friends of the Void again, because it's the same kind of "narrator dropped in the middle of God knows what" feel.

• Locked thread