Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I was just about to post about my positive reactions to The Message, but then... the epilogue happened. Wtf? Why add that Scooby-Doo poo poo into your story at the last moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what happened?

(Complete spoilers for The Message)

So the show basically follows a young journalist student who winds up covering the story of an agency trying to decode an alien radio message. Turns out that listening to the message ends up making people sick, and eventually killing them. In the end, they figure out a way to stop or "reverse" the effects, and then the journalist says basically "okay that's it, The End."

Then the epilogue is a secret recording that one of the scientists takes of the journalist confessing the whole time to being a secret, 700-year-old alien who came with the message to give humanity a choice between choosing using the message for war or for peace. Completely out of left field.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

psychopomp posted:

Synesthesia Theatre just released the last episode of our first season, wrapping the steampunk western "Iron Horses Can't Be Broken." New season starts in about a month, after some cast Q&A interviews, with a 9-part cyberpunk thriller.

Hey, well done with this! I just finished the other day and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm excited for future seasons! I even bought some of Coorlim's novels to read, including Cold Reboot (so I can better appreciate Season 2 when it comes out).

I will say that the volume was a little iffy at times. Hard to hear in typical podcast places (bus, car, etc), so I'd turn it up but then there would be a really loud laugh or music cue and my ears would blow up. I'm no audio engineer, but a simple compressor effect to even the whole thing out, while unfortunately minimizing depth, might make it a better experience for the bulk of your listeners. Just a thought, and I know that you are in a studio this time so probably this has already been addressed!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I'm gonna give another shoutout for the Magnus Archives. Wasn't expecting much going in, but the narrator basically ceased bothering me after the first episode or two, and some of the stories are actually pretty entertaining. Worth a look if you want kind of a X-Files mixed with SCP, but more focused on ghosts and such.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Don't think I've seen this posted here in this thread: TOR recently shared this list of 50 fiction podcasts released before 2012. I personally have only listed to a couple, so I can't speak for the quality. But some of these might be worth checking out.

http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/infographic-podcastfiction-Morris-Bryski.jpg?type=vertical

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Amateur Sketch posted:

The commentary at the end is always fun, but it's made even better by how in-character the narrator gets when telling the story. He goes from being totally in the story to "Ugh so much of this is unsubstantiated how do they expect us to investigate it" and the sheer contrast is great.

Yeah the whole concept is a little strange... I mean, what is the purpose of recording all these written statements in audio anyway? It would make more sense if he read them in short, bland legal-style instead of with his story-telling inflection.

That said, he's hilarious and great. I really don't need an in-universe explanation, it's just funny to imagine.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I'll give another shoutout to Greater Boston. Think of it like Night Vale meets Prairie Home Companion (no spookiness). It's quirky and pretty funny, but also full of some good prose.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

psychopomp posted:

Synesthesia Theatre just launched its second season, a 9-part adaptation of the cyberpunk thriller Cold Reboot. This is an anthology series, so there's no connection to the first season's story, though we did end up casting a lot of the same actors again.

If you missed it earlier, here's the trailer.

I'm liking the book so far, so awesome news! I'm excited for this series.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

New Leaf posted:

Limetown is being downloaded, along with The Magnus Archive and We're Alive, as suggested by Reddit. Think I'm set for a while!

We're Alive is dumb but I had fun with it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Jurgan posted:

Does anyone else think Max Findlayson sounds like Norm MacDonald?

I thought Dr Totem was Owen Wilson when I first heard his voice

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

theblackw0lf posted:

Some beautiful soul made a "concept map" for the Magnus Archives showing how all the various episodes link together.

Extremely helpful for keeping track of all the story threads and connections.

http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg

This looks exactly like an insane person's basement whiteboard.

Good find though, thanks! There are some pretty clever minds behind TMA.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

Magnus is what you want. It's the best of the bunch by far so just start and end there.

Archive 81 is worth a listen to, at least Season 1.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
If you're gay, being gay is a much more visible and important part of your identity than heteroness for a hetero. Just like how black people​ probably talk about race issues more than white people.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

theblackw0lf posted:

New stretch goal of $1,000 a month for the Magnus Archives (Rusty Quill) Pantheon:

https://www.patreon.com/rustyquill

I'm not sure how I would feel about more multi-cast recordings honestly.

This is cool, good for them. I'm happy they already have over $800 monthly coming in. I agree with you about multi-but, but I think they know their main draw is spooky stories told by a single narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Jurgan posted:

I'm still on about episode 19 of Magnus, so it's mostly still episodic. I think one or two episodes ago was a reference to the Scandinavian guy's library, and as far as I know that was the first callback.

There are callbacks all over the place. The early episodes sometimes get called back in recent ones. I think honestly it doesn't matter too much if you get them or not, since the episodic stories are where the fun is at.

Kind of like how Lovecraft stories all take place in the same universe and sometimes reference each other in minor ways but no one cares

• Locked thread