Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Turtlicious posted:

Do I have to listen to The Black Tapes to get into Tanis? Or can I jump right in?

Also, I think I'm wrapping up on all the good podcasts :ohdear:

On my completed / in progress list I have:

Wolf 359
Welcome to Nightvale
Kakos Industries
Alice Isn't Dead
The Bright Sessions
Within The Wires
Scoop Hound
Archive 81
King Falls AM
The Magnus Archives
The Lift
The Orbiting Human Circus
Edict Zero: FIS
Scotch
EOS 10
Alba Salix, Royal Physician

I mean what is even left that people have made that I might like?

I'm a big fan of Greater Boston. It tells the stories of a number of entwined characters in Boston, and has a magical realism feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Slamhound posted:

I recently found Mabel: "A podcast about ghosts, family secrets, strange houses, and missed connections."

It's mostly in the form of voicemails left to 'Mabel' by her grandmother's caregiver. It can be disjointed and stream-of-consciousness, but not in a bad way. It builds a nice atmosphere.

I recently binged the entire first season of Mabel and while I have no idea what actually happened, it was really great. It also has transcripts on the web site which is a rare and nice touch.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The volume mixing needs some work.The yelling is way too loud, to the point where I've had to change my audio levels for those sections, and that's not something I enjoy doing while listening to a podcast.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

New Leaf posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Mabel anymore. The writing is very creative, but the dialogue doesn't sound like dialogue.. It sounds like a goth chick got a thesaurus and this is her high school journal.

Also, this Rabbits sounded more like an episode of Tanis.. I feel like these two are a lot more intertwined than Tanis was with TBT.

Mabel definitely leans into being weird fiction in a way that impacts how its script flows and is structured. I have a lot more tolerance for that purple and elevated language, but I can see how it can be alienating.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'm not sure how acceptable it is to advertise stuff your own stuff, but I've been working on a serialized fiction podcast of my own for the last couple months.

The first episode was released today. You can subscribe on iTunes.

It's less like a radio drama, and more like an audio book released on a weekly basis, due primarily to budgetary reasons. I'm not going to ask folks to volunteer for something so time consuming, and I just don't have the finances to hire anyone else. So, it's an all me production, for better or for worse. It's going to be eight episodes total, fifteen to twenty minutes long. I'm open to any and all criticism, I'm planning a second season and I want it to be far superior.

• Locked thread