Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
When I first found Tanis and Limetown I remember looking around the forums to try to find a discussion thread and being surprised there wasn't one. Glad someone finally started it!

I'm fully caught up on Limetown and Tanis, started Black Tapes yesterday and will probably be finished by the end of the weekend, and haven't started the Message yet but it was going to be the next one I listen to.

Limetown, like everyone else has said, is incredible and easily the best of the bunch. I'm hoping that if/when there's a Season 2 though they focus on something new rather than a full season of Let's Save Lea from the spooky corporation! investigation.

I actually like Meerkatnip a lot in Tanis, but find the host obnoxious as hell for most of the reasons people have already listed. Since I just started Black Tapes after Tanis, I find his whole "gee golly what's the internet" schtick especially annoying, because in Black Tapes where he's presumably playing the exact same character he's going on about IP addresses and the Deep Web on multiple occasions when he's playing detective for Alex. Overall, I'm still into it, but it seems like it's trying to artificially extend itself for the sake of having more episodes. I'm ready for the season to wrap up.

Black Tapes is generally great and I find the whole thing more "believable" than Tanis. The characters so far (I'm only on 109) behave a lot more realistically and Alex comes across more like she's actually a radio journalist and not just playing one for the podcast. My only real minor criticism of Black Tapes so far is the intro is terrible and that song is garbage (and I'm pretty sure it's Nick Silver singing it).

Message was what I was going to listen to next even before I saw this thread but based on the feedback in here it sounds not great. Any other recommendations that aren't on the list in the OP? If not I'll probably finally start Serial S2 and continue working my way through Undisclosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've tried to listen to Welcome to Nightvale twice and both times I tune out almost immediately because the first episode straight up just sounds like this dude made a bunch of monkeycheese bulletpoints about wacky things and reads them down a list with virtually no cohesion.

I'm assuming they figure out an actual format, but I didn't want to sit through enough of the episodes to find out when, and none of my friends listen to it.

I know it's generally well regarded, so I keep wanting to give it a shot since it must actually get good at some point. Is there a generally acceptable "jumping in" point where a story about the town actually starts, or is it just two years of creepy bullet points?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

It's mundane public radio of a weird desert town. I don't know what you were expecting.

I guess I don't know either. From the gushing online I had thought it had some sort of overarching narrative or story about what was going on in Nightvale that picked up after the first set of episodes.

Totally understand there's an audience for that and it's enjoyable, just not my thing, I guess.

Edit: I also listened through Alice Isn't Dead in full, which was generally great, so I think I also assumed that that was an improvement on a format they had figured out in Nightvale and i just didn't know when that started.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2016

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I was at least kind of enjoying Rabbits until the recent episode where the narrator gets saved by a literal wave of skateboarding teens who zoom by her and transport her a block away, cartoon-style.

I don't know why THAT was my breaking point, but it was.

Also, the idea that these people who have been stalking her and following her around all the time and know where she's going at all times somehow still don't know where she lives because they are unable to follow her home.

• Locked thread