Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Turtlicious posted:

Have you guys found anything that has that "Evil Dead" feel, where it really toes the line between Comedy and Horror.

Maaaaybe King Falls AM. It's way more comedy than horror, but can get creepy on occasion. It starts out very similar to Night Vale but pretty quickly becomes its own thing. All the characters who call into the show are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Talmonis posted:

So far I've enjoyed LImetown, The Black Tapes Files and Archive 81. Any recommendations on those lines for others along these lines? I love creeping dread.

You might like Wolf 359. It's very goofy for the first 8ish episodes but picks up a serialized plot and a much darker tone after that and sticks to it. Really impressive production with some competent acting too.

There's also the Deep Vault by the guys who did Archive 81. I finished the last episode for it yesterday. All in all I felt like it was a lot weaker than A81 but it wasn't terrible.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 18, 2016

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Well, Archive 81 is back for season 2, and drat it seems to have taken a nose dive. Completely different tone, a terrible framing device, annoying sound effects and none of the half-decent weird fiction I liked.

Oh that doesn't sound good. I listened to all of the Deep Vault but I found the tone to be really inconsistent. It didn't handle swinging from horror to comedy as well as something like King Falls usually does.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm almost caught up with Wolf-359 and it's real real good.

They announced next season is going to be the final one. I'm actually pretty ok with that, seems like we're moving towards a natural conclusion point.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Agreed. If they kept with the sitcommy style of season one, it could maybe go indefinitely, but once the premise of "we're going to die unless we get the hell off this station" was established, then there was no natural way to keep it going. A lot of shows would just keep throwing obstacles at them for years, but that would get old fast, so I'm glad they're going to close the book on it.

I was concerned that they might end up spinning their wheels with the story after Season 2 raised the stakes but it kept a good pace. Really excited to see how things wrap up. Equally excited to see what Gabriel Urbina and crew have in mind for another series after this.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Personally I want to see just how many times Richard Strand can order Alex out of his office, declaring he's done working with them, only to come back a few days later.

Tanis I can live without because I listened to all of Season 1 and almost burst out laughing at that really strained plot twist at the end.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Jurgan posted:

The next to last episode of Tanis season one ended with "person X and person Y are really the same person!"

*dramatic thud*

I have that problem with both TBT and Tanis, they keep having characters return who haven't been featured for lengthy amounts of time and I have no clue who they are.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I like that they've established a few times that Black Tapes and Tanis are at least officially in the same shared universe, which means that the main guy from Tanis is in a relationship with a different woman on each podcast.

Nick's quite the ladies man. Though I always wonder if they're supposed to be actually happening for real or are just stories in each other's universes. Like several times Alex has visited Nick and he says he's "working on the latest episode of Tanis." You'd think there'd be some crossover on the actual plots of the two, but you never know with Pacific Northwest Stories.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Kraps posted:

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice? Let's make an episode like that again except this time it'll be horribly depressing!

Was once funny, but now horribly depressing/dramatic sums up Wolf359 pretty well. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Christ, A New Winter is loving terrible.

Oh gosh, yes. The first episode caught my interest despite the really poor sound quality but from there it just got too ridiculous for me. And I loved Twin Peaks.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the basic premise of Rabbits (some kind of ARG type game played for decades) more than the basic premise of Tanis (random conspiracy stuff) or TBT (paranormal). But the format is indeed exactly the same as those two. The music is even almost identical to Tanis. I'll give it a few episodes and see if it tilts decisively one way or the other.

Gave it a listen. I'm really on the fence. Premise sounds really interesting but the pacing, the pacing. I don't think they needed to spend the first 20 minutes explaining what ARGs are and listing notable examples.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah, none of the guest readers have ever been as compelling as Jonathan Simms. I'm sure they know that, though, so it's all good.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I just finished Magnus Archives' first season, and hit the Q + A. I was pleased as punch that the writer drew some inspiration from Lights Out, this creepy old radio show I used to listen to on an oldies AM station when I was a kid. It's probably kinda tame now but in the dark as an 8 year old it was pretty good stuff. I was a huge nerd and listened to The Green Hornet and Dragnet and stuff, so this whole era of audio storytelling for free is basically my favorite drat thing these days.

https://archive.org/details/LightsOutoldTimeRadio

What's up fellow Lights Out listener. That, Suspense, and Inner Sanctum probably traumatized me as a kid.

I still remember the one about this guy who found a weird creature below a drilling project. It killed his friends, and he ends up marrying it or something. It was super messed up to my 8-year old mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Tweak posted:

I always chuckle when Rabbits starts with an ad for TANIS, because the tag line is something like, "TANIS: perhaps the last genuine mystery of the information age." I always want the narrator to stumble after that and go, "I mean, well, besides Rabbits."

It's doubly funny because they pretty much abandoned that premise in favor of the much more original "creepy location in the woods where weird things happen."

• Locked thread