Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I like what the Black Tapes and TANIS do atmospherically - TANIS straight up makes me afraid of shadows and there's an overarching menace to the Black Tapes with their stories of demonic possession that is very well done.

The problem is that they simply don't hae enough events happening within their episodes. Alex having sleep problems is a perfectly fine subplot but it needs to be paired with a strong mainplot that has more scenes occuring. The characters thinking out loud to themselves or arguing with each other don't count because they don't advance the main story.

If they want to move forward then they need to bring Strand back in for more plot progression.

E: to build a little more, I don't agree their plot is too complicated, I think they're not doing enough to tie everything together and now they're just throwing plotlines out into the ether and then don't do anything with them. Then we just get more of Alex complaining about exhaustion, which pads the episodes.

If the showrunners don't do anything with the plot then the audience must conclude that there isn't one.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Imo it reflects a hunger for speculative fiction instead of more tv-esque kitchen sink dramas about spouses cheating on each other. Audio cuts down on production costs of a science fiction or fantasy story significantly.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Their cited reason was that Alex Regan is having health issues. The actress may indeed be having some severe medical problem or there might be something else going on behind the scenes. We're not privy to it because we're part of the creative team.

I hope everyone's okay and that nobody dies because of real life health problems.

Chill out goons, geez.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That's not everything that happened though, he detailed his invitation to be part of the research team and then found a new trail of weirdness to follow.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just finished Mabel. In short it's Silent Hill meets old fairie stories. Except these aren't the cute kind with wings and little dresses. They're more like the faceless nurses staggering around with rusty weapons. Excellent stuff.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

It's amazing how consistently good the Magnus Archives is. Some episodes are stronger than others, but I can't think of any that were bad.

I have to wonder if a (large) contributing factor to that is the difference in mindset between Brits and Americans. The Rusty Quill guys have been consistent in saying they have a five-season arc for TMA, and it's obvious that knowing in advance where your end point is is a huge benefit for pacing and whatnot. Compare that to most any American-made horror podcast, where they seem to start with some fairly clear story goals, but as soon as they get a little bit of popularity, all that goes out the window as they try to milk it for everything they can (just how many Patreon campaigns do these people expect fans to back?). The Black Tapes and TANIS are probably the worst offenders, though Small Town Horror is going down this route, and Archive 81 is going...somewhere (this one may turn out to be good, of course, but the drastic shift in direction is worrisome).

The Black Tapes and TANIS are made by Canadians, though I don't dispute your thesis.

I also think that British entertainment is about having a goal and sticking to it. Other nationalities have perpetual ADD.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They released a teaser for the new season and it's an Irish woman reading letters, so maybe it's related but I doubt it.

Juniper and Lily were discussed at length in a few episodes of Mabel. Lily is the daughter who went missing. Juniper is the name scratched into Lily's closet. I don't think they're ending the story right where they did.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The only thing you need to know about Tanis season 2 is:

- Nic wanders around spooky forests
- The CEO is annoying
- Nic meets a guy who dies
- Nic is the Chosen One for reason we don't know

The whole thing is basically :lost:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

Mabel has been a good podcast so far but it's pretty esoteric.

Lore and Unexplained are good for weird history and it often veers into horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
People are allowed to like things or find things stupid. New Leaf is correct, it is irritating to have badly written romances in fiction. I'm a bisexual woman and I agree completely, it's one of the reasons I stopped listening to the Bright Sessions. It was obnoxious and dumb the way they handled the sexuality stuff.

I don't feel "represented" by that, I feel condescended to, because apparently queerness doesn't deserve a well written respectful story. It should just be jammed in any which way regardless of whether it's well written or not, because representation means you never have to try, apparently.

This is one of those things people will have a wide variety of opinions on and that's cool, I understand that. But it's lovely to say "bad writing that is disrespectful of queer sexualities is okay because of historic oppression." I want well written stories. I want stories that are good. I want stories that are natural and fit with the overarching plot. I and others are not boxes to be ticked off on some Freedom Checklist :911: so that a group of podcasters can feel good about themselves.

Writing good romance is difficult, I know it because I've done it myself. What is even worse though is when romance is used to send a thrill up your own leg and uses oppressed groups as cheap story stuffing to win social capital or pass yourself off as the most "woke."

HIJK fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 9, 2017

• Locked thread